• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Sonic Mid-tier material? Is he better than Bowser again? (Read the OP)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Unless something changed or I saw differently, I believe the match was 50:50, or 45:55 in Falco's favor.

I haven't seen Sonics get tangled up by Falcos too much.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Unless something changed or I saw differently, I believe the match was 50:50, or 45:55 in Falco's favor.

I haven't seen Sonics get tangled up by Falcos too much.
I have, by B-air and Lasers and CG.
Sonic doesn't have much over Falco, except lasers works not as good on him as on other characters.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The CG doesn't really work against Sonic, especially when going for the DAir after for a spike. Sonic will always recover. Up B's too good. That, and Sonic can also use that spring to break the CG, sometimes even before they can go for that DAir spike. Lasers, Sonic's speed's a good compliment to that. The Bair?

Well, that ***** just about everyone. I can't argue that at all. XD

Also, before anyone jumps down my throat on this one, I just checked back on the match-ups and saw that it said 60:40 for Falco. My bad! Don't know where I saw the even section, but I saw it...

It still feels like about 50:50 for me...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
The CG doesn't really work against Sonic, especially when going for the DAir after for a spike. Sonic will always recover. Up B's too good. That, and Sonic can also use that spring to break the CG, sometimes even before they can go for that DAir spike. Lasers, Sonic's speed's a good compliment to that. The Bair?
No, Falco can CG Sonic, only if he messes up like 10 frames Sonic breaks free.

I don't think the spike is the worst part, instead the 40-50% is.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
No, Falco can CG Sonic, only if he messes up like 10 frames Sonic breaks free.

I don't think the spike is the worst part, instead the 40-50% is.
Okay, so it was a stretch to say that it doesn't really work. The fact that Sonic's got such a disrupting thing like the spring when the Falco does falter though can't be overlooked. Sometimes the spike is the worst thing actually, as then Falco no longer has his surefire method of wracking up super damage, meanwhile 40/50% leaves Sonic still considerately safe, and capable of returning the damage with his own options.

Still feels even to me, but you know, there's a lot more people out there that put more work into everything then me (statistics-wise, that is), so I also know that to some extent it's not my place to say much.

It's only my place to toss in my opinion on some match-ups.

Anther

Smash Champion
And that's why I stopped playin friendlies with you gf2tw. Everyone's sonic goes even with me in dittos >_>... strange trend that's been posted. Funny how most peeps think I play him alright even if they play me in person until they start posting about it on the boards =p.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
lolnamesearch.

I still say the most recent Sonic vid I saw was good. D=

Outside of perhaps MU experience I still think you did **** well. Plus you beat dingdong's (I forget his new name...) MK pretty early in your Sonic career which is more than most people can say.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
lolnamesearch.
Gf2tw, you're judging wifi Sonic dittos in a usa-holland connection? lol

I just want to see more of Anther's Sonic, unless you dropped him? D:

Back topic topic though, is it that Bowser doesn't place well, or that there isn't enough mains?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Okay, so it was a stretch to say that it doesn't really work. The fact that Sonic's got such a disrupting thing like the spring when the Falco does falter though can't be overlooked.
The chaingrab is pretty much only in the control of the player using Falco. If it was something more intensive on the victim's part (DI, SDI, etc) then maybe I'd give Falco the "credibility" to falter. Otherwise, speaking on the theoretical 'high level play' that 'matters', Falco won't be messing up the chaingrab once he gets you in it.

And that's why I stopped playin friendlies with you gf2tw. Everyone's sonic goes even with me in dittos >_>... strange trend that's been posted. Funny how most peeps think I play him alright even if they play me in person until they start posting about it on the boards =p.
this lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I still want that Sonic ditto with you Anther, lol.

:093:

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Sonic's I've ditto'd

Anther
Blue
BlazingKatakiri
BOKU
Camalange
Disgaea Tiger
Joshkip
KojinSagira
MalcolM
Oreo (Excel)
PhoenixDark
Shadowlink
Shugo
T-800
TehSharpie
Royal Sonic / Sonic King / Sonic the edgehog

Sonic's I've never beaten

Anther
Blue

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Sonic's I've ditto'd

Anther
Blue
BlazingKatakiri
BOKU
Camalange
Disgaea Tiger
Joshkip
KojinSagira
MalcolM
Oreo (Excel)
PhoenixDark
Shadowlink
Shugo
T-800
TehSharpie
Royal Sonic / Sonic King / Sonic the edgehog

Sonic's I've never beaten

Anther
Blue

@ITT: I wanna play you again. You'll see an improved Sonic.

But yeah I think he's pretty mid-tier. He has tools to get around most of his disadvantaged match-ups. People tend to sleep pretty hard on Sonic because "He can't kill anything" but that's also the same problem that Falco has. Which hasn't stopped him from being good.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
So, the sooner we end the Bowser discussion, the sooner we can get the title changed to remove the "Is Sonic Mid-tier material?" part. For us Sonic Mains to attack our character's positioning is stupid. That said I wouldn't want the Bowser discussion cut short by any means.

Umby

Smash Master
So, the sooner we end the Bowser discussion, the sooner we can get the title changed to remove the "Is Sonic Mid-tier material?" part. For us Sonic Mains to attack our character's positioning is stupid. That said I wouldn't want the Bowser discussion cut short by any means.
I wouldn't necessarily call it stupid. For some people, an accuracy of the list is more important what it looks like if we argue that our character is too high. Some people also take pride in the knowledge of their character, and as such find logic that their character may have too many shortcomings to be where they are positioned.

I for one do believe he should be bumped down at least into D tier, but don't mind him being in C tier for the moment. I'll wait and watch how Sonic truly proves himself in the next few months. 8 points is quite a boost, so I'm sure many eyes will be on Sonic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Bowser needs to step it up and get some tourney placings
Yes.

I just want to see more of Anther's Sonic, unless you dropped him? D:

Back topic topic though, is it that Bowser doesn't place well, or that there isn't enough mains?
This.

SP said before Anthuh got namedropped that he stopped playing him semi-seriously.

Both, apparently.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I wouldn't mind seeing Bowser rise in the ranks either. I mean, he's pretty **** fun, and this is a first.

A Smash game where he's better then Mario? In-character, he must be doing backflips for joy. If I weren't so focused on Sonic and Dedede, I'd be giving Bowser a try.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic boards.

Get sum steak.

:093:

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Which way is the boards decision swaying right now? We know Bowser should be higher, but lack of tournament participation can say otherwise.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I still say Bowser is a better character stat-wise, but when it comes to the tourney scene and just viablity.

V
V
V
V
V
V

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
That Bowser/Jigs vid is awesome. Steak too.

I wouldn't necessarily call it stupid. For some people, an accuracy of the list is more important what it looks like if we argue that our character is too high. Some people also take pride in the knowledge of their character, and as such find logic that their character may have too many shortcomings to be where they are positioned.

I for one do believe he should be bumped down at least into D tier, but don't mind him being in C tier for the moment. I'll wait and watch how Sonic truly proves himself in the next few months. 8 points is quite a boost, so I'm sure many eyes will be on Sonic.
my opinion aside, is this thread really the best place to campaign for Sonic to be moved to D Tier?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Anyways, how do the good Bowsers place on average?
The problem with that is there are hardly any good Bowsers.

Vex and Sliq are the two that come to mind. And last I checked, they place fine. (I don't remember the exact numbers.)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Well that just blows. I wanna see the big man in spikes and flames shooting up the list...

I'm actually surprised that he's as high on the tier list as he is right now (for being lower), if so little people use him. Needs more rep.

That being said, more Sonic yay.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
So, after this some what light discussion. What are your thoughts on who is better?

Top Bottom