• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to take texture hacking too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I agree to an extent, but I love her character design. It's a million times better than any of the old ones IMO

btw I think of Samus as a loner that's really intelligent and tough, but egotistical
I don't know about loner. I'd say maybe independent and tough and intelligent. She's no damsel in distress, that's for sure. And yes, DeliciousCake, I agree with you. :)

She's always looked like this since the 8-bit days. Though, to be fair, I don't think they showed her with her suit off until Metroid Fusion in any detail, and that's only when you die.

I think the fact that the basic, unhacked game has Peach panty shots is worse, really.
Well, sure, she had the bikini, but it wasn't perceived as sexual. Maybe that's just me.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sometimes I hate Nintendo and the fact that they changed Samus from a realistic looking person to an anime character. Also I hate the fact that they sexualized Samus. I also hate people for going further in that.
Really/ I always though she appeared more realistic than anime like and that the sexuality appearance was just a recent thing, mainly in Brawl of course.

Her outfit in metroid Fusion was a blue top and blue tight fitting shorts
They turned red if you got 100% in under 2 hours with her walking casually in the streets.

It cant really be said to be sexual cause its more like a reminder, yeah she kicks ***, blows up ****, but she is still a lady and by no means a brutish looking one.

You will always have people who want a character to be more sexual a character, regardless of how serious that character is displayed.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
btw I think of Samus as a loner that's really intelligent and tough, but egotistical
I wouldn't quite call her egotistical. Unswervingly capitalist and confident to a fault, perhaps, but she never displays what I would call ego. I mean it really when I say that anyone who actually cares about Samus as a human being should read the Zero Mission manga: http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/?g=mzm&p=manga.

Samus has always been sexualized to an extent. I feel like it was a more intimate, personal thing, though, and separate from the violence of the preceding game. The post game reveal always seemed like an instance of Samus letter herself be a human and opening up to you, so the end is as much an emotional reward as it is physical, in the same sense that we connect with pretty people in movies on several levels.

I don't like the treatment of the Zero Suit as part of her sex appeal. That part of the Zero Mission game is intense and nerve-wracking. I tell you what, if I were nigh defenseless in the depths of a Space Pirate ship, I would be feeling pretty cagey and not at all sexy. The sexualization of Samus in the Zero Suit is downright unnatural.

That's a lot of words about so trivial a concept. -.-

she is still a lady and by no means a brutish looking one.
Hi there, Adam Malkovich.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Woah, I didn't know there was a manga. Thanks, I'm gonna check that out

EDIT: wow it seems pretty deep. Finally, Samus says more than a few grunts/taunts

sasook

Smash Champion
They turned red if you got 100% in under 2 hours with her walking casually in the streets.
Actually I'm fairly sure that the red outfit only appeared in Metroid Zero Mission. I remember finishing Fusion in under 2 hours with 100% and it was still a blue suit.

Bouse

Smash Ace
I love how I link a picture of Zero Suit in a Dominatrix outfit and we start talking about subtle nuances in Samus Aran's personality.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Really/ I always though she appeared more realistic than anime like and that the sexuality appearance was just a recent thing, mainly in Brawl of course.
Not quite in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Compare her appearance in these two games versus her appearance in Metroid Prime. If you don't have any of the games, or if you haven't played these games for some time and don't feel like playing through it all the way, you can search on YouTube.

I believe she became more sexualized when Metroid: Zero Mission was released and Samus' ship is destroyed. Prior to Brawl, someone once sent me a link of Samus where she's standing at a distance from the Space Pirate Mothership, and it was Photoshopped so that her legs and cheeks were bare. Brawl, I think, just popularized it.

Well, she may appear as a babe in Metroid Fusion, but it's nothing like the one in Zero Mission. Oh, and the red top and shorts are in Metroid: Zero Mission.

It cant really be said to be sexual cause its more like a reminder, yeah she kicks ***, blows up ****, but she is still a lady and by no means a brutish looking one.

You will always have people who want a character to be more sexual a character, regardless of how serious that character is displayed.
I can agree with you there.

Woah, I didn't know there was a manga. Thanks, I'm gonna check that out

EDIT: wow it seems pretty deep. Finally, Samus says more than a few grunts/taunts
A bit late there, I see. :p

bobson

Smash Lord
She's always looked like this since the 8-bit days. Though, to be fair, I don't think they showed her with her suit off until Metroid Fusion in any detail, and that's only when you die.
She's been stripping for you based on how fast you complete the game since the original.

I think the fact that the basic, unhacked game has Peach panty shots is worse, really.
What, you'd rather there just be a black void under there?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I believe she became more sexualized when Metroid: Zero Mission was released and Samus' ship is destroyed. Prior to Brawl, someone once sent me a link of Samus where she's standing at a distance from the Space Pirate Mothership, and it was Photoshopped so that her legs and cheeks were bare. Brawl, I think, just popularized it.
Maybe I shouldn't be expounding on things I wasn't all that keenly aware of at the time, but I think Samus has been objectified since people found she was a woman in the first game (I'm going to start saying objectified, because I think it's more what we're talking about). I mean, people were zapping Samus with Thunderjolt in SSB64 just to see the wireframe. I have no doubt it goes further than that. If nothing else, elementary schoolyard discussions in the late 80s must have been about beating Metroid fast enough to see Samus with no clothes on.

Those perverted little boys just "grew up," and we have the current image of Samus now.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I've always seen the east asian version in the reverse manji style. 卍

And I throw your pie back at you and eat cake instead.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The only ZSS texture I want is one that changes her suit into a pink color.

Or Bowser colors. lol

Bouse

Smash Ace
Maybe I shouldn't be expounding on things I wasn't all that keenly aware of at the time, but I think Samus has been objectified since people found she was a woman in the first game (I'm going to start saying objectified, because I think it's more what we're talking about). I mean, people were zapping Samus with Thunderjolt in SSB64 just to see the wireframe. I have no doubt it goes further than that. If nothing else, elementary schoolyard discussions in the late 80s must have been about beating Metroid fast enough to see Samus with no clothes on.

Those perverted little boys just "grew up," and we have the current image of Samus now.

ph00tbag... those were the longest 28 minutes of my life.

Kain17

Smash Cadet
Although this is all quite unnesesary, did we not all see this coming? It may be Nintendo's fault for sexualizing samus, but its not like we can put a stop to any of this.

And Bouse, did it really take you 28 mins to read that?

noradseven

Smash Lord
Although this is all quite unnesesary, did we not all see this coming? It may be Nintendo's fault for sexualizing samus, but its not like we can put a stop to any of this.

And Bouse, did it really take you 28 mins to read that?
No he meant 28 minutes to beat the game.

And trust me most of these skins are pretty tame compared to what could be done :urg: .

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Rather than the fact that they tried to make Samus sexier, what bums me out most is how unoriginal they were. I mean seriously, a dominatrix? That's just so... unoriginal. I mean, if they wanted to try to make her sexier, there are tons of better options, like this, or this, or hell even this.

But no, they wanted a cliche dominatrix thing. :\

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Obviously the third image is what you're going to use in the future?

EDIT: Although I did randomly wonder why no texture hacker had done a Red/Yellow colored Zero Suit texture...I'm beginning to think Mr. Kitamerby has inside information on the ZSS boards...

Bouse

Smash Ace
It's an inside joke between me and ph00tbag.

... and Cake.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Obviously the third image is what you're going to use in the future?

EDIT: Although I did randomly wonder why no texture hacker had done a Red/Yellow colored Zero Suit texture...I'm beginning to think Mr. Kitamerby has inside information on the ZSS boards...
On another random note, I think a Kill Bill outfit would be an awesome idea for a ZSS texture hack

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I really liked the idea of Yoko (gurren lagann) as a ZSS texture, but I feel underwhelmed by the one that was made =(

Back to SA-X and Phazon Suit for me.

EDIT: LOL @ "overwhlemed," meant "underwhelmed."

PepsiMista

Smash Apprentice
The best texture ive seen a a Gothic/scottland peach i saw at the polybrawl.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
um... so, are there any DECENT zamus texture hacks? >_>

Snakeee

Smash Master
I just played with a "Nobody" ZSS (from Kingdom Hearts) today on someone's Wii. It looked pretty awesome

...and no I don't actually speak Italian, just know a couple of phrases and that one was from Italian Spiderman lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom