• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Whats your point about joker practicing marvel? he cares about that game, and has gotten good at it and is winning tourneys... i respect that. My whole point is his drive for smash isn't there anymore(or has severely diminished).

assume 20 entrants per tourney, $5 venue fee. thats 200 per month just in venues. our electric with 3 computers and 2 tvs/wiis(we hold regular smashfests) was 70 dollars this month. He used to take 10% out of the pot which a lot closer to what the net cost is. Though the money keeps his mom happy so he can keep hosting, I guess...

' He's told me and others there aren't many other people hes interested in meeting smash-wise.' no drive?

'I don't see why he has to go out and actively look for shining examples, because if you aren't a smart player already you just end up copying their mistakes.' You watch other players to keep up with the metagame, study matchups, learn new tricks... I really don't see why you debated this point. Do you not watch marvel vids/streams? Same **** with smash...

'You say yourself this is true of Joker, so how has he lost his drive for a game he still holds monthlies for? How do you maintain drive for a game where you get considerably less encouragement? He still does well in a game everyone says he has "no drive" in so tell me one good reason he should try any harder to appease other people who have only been naysayers.' what is this i dont even. I said before, having competitive drive =!= enjoying playing the game. Joker holds tourneys where most people that attend are worse than him, creating a monetary incentive for hosting. He also says he enjoys the game, so theres that too. Where did we tell him he should try harder? Sekou said he wished we had a few more players up here that cared, and you said whats the point. A scene with a multitude of good players will help people get better much faster than just a rivalry(or the 'triforce' we have here...).
Keeping stuff in the trunk does matter... First of all, cops can only pull you over on reasonable suspicion(lololololoololololololol window tint). "In order for a police officer to pull you over, he or she has to have strong suspicions that you have committed or will commit a criminal act." Which means if the stuff is in the trunk, we aren't smoking it, leaving no reason to be pulled over. ASSUMING colin/dustin/i were speeding or something and got pulled over for that, the officer needs probable cause to search the car. If nothing is visible in the car, and nothing smells, there is no probable cause to search. The second part doesn't matter though, because if we got pulled over for anything(not just smoking), Joker is at risk. He just doesn't like it because of his dad, which I get, and we're respectful of him when he rides with us.

oh and i'm going to buy a new tv for 2 dollars at good will tomorrow. hellllllll yea
The only thing I will say is that even though brandon redeemed himself by saying how cops are such giant pieces of ****. I totally agree with Joker, if I had as much to lose as he did, I would NEVER EVER ride in the car with someone who has anything illegal in the vehicle. It is without a doubt not worth the risk for Joker.

More stuff makes sense about Blank.

Sorry, I was busy today :(

lol, that's why we offer 2 stage bans in Nebraska, for people with autobans.

Also I agree with the 2nd part about cpus.

To conclude:

Bpow won't be considered good until he wins a Nebraska tournament with both me and Tyser in it.

LOL HAVOK namesearch

Also, how is blank not #4 on the MRM mental Iowa PR? I guess Razor is pretty ****ing good, and Jlo too. Have Wang/Dustin improved enough to supplant either of those guys?
I will say a few things.

Power rankings are dumb.

Where the f*ck am I in these power rankings?! Has everyone forgotten that tourney like a year ago when I beat JOKER AND RAZOR?! The fact that I did not come up in these huge drama ordeal has me greatly offended. I am still easily the best in Iowa. Bpow, Joker, and Sek'ou aint got SH*T ON ME.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Hate to burst your bubble their Rob, but Bpow is already considered good
Lux, I thought you knew me better than that.

Power rankings are dumb.
Oh I know, that's why I make sure it's a big ****ing laugh riot every time.

tbh the only reason we have a PR is so I can make Megaman themed stuff, I'm the only person who should be on a real PR because Tyser doesn't leave Nebraska for Brawl and I've beaten people before.

But you need 8 bosses (unless it's megaman 1) for it to make sense. And yes, the gameboy games have 8 bosses (or more!) but it's split up into 4 and 4.

PortCity

Smash Ace
As much as I would love to comment on all of this, there is honestly WAY too much to talk about. I didn't intend to say anything controversial, so when things blew up, I was shocked. However, it seems that people had stuff on their minds that they had to vent. I say that because SOOoo much of the stuff was either off topic, an accusation, or just inflammatory. I hope everyone got all the stuff they needed to off of their chest. A few small notes:

@Joker: I'm taking it that you are still motivated to play Brawl. I wouldn't have guessed that, but I'll take you at your word. That said, after the marvel tourney, try to come up with a plan and come down to Ames. Brandon and I get get at least 2 sessions in a week, I'm sure you'd benefit.

@Blank: This is one of the VERY few times I think you were off based in your arguments. Your posts seemed more like venting than addressing the issue constructively. That said, you are 100% correct that Joker would still have banned MK if Jake was here. We ALL CONSTANTLY harassed Jake about that foolishness, and he did eventually pick up DDD as an alternative. Jake was also pro-ban, he just never believed he would be banned so he played him.

@NGamer: Yeah, poor choice of words :-)

@Bpx: Your posts seemed to have a 40% vent rate also, however, you at least tried to keep on task with what I was saying, and your last post did a good job of re-emphasizing the point that...I wanted you (Neo) to have a better sparing partner in the training simulation than me (Morpheous).

@Viewers to this thread: How do ya'll find out about this place? If there is drama on Smashboards is there an automatic link to it?

@Debo: Your funny :)

--------------------Bonus Content--------------------

My personal opinion on Brandon's growth. I've been playing with him for about 2 years and in the matrix movie world Brandon and I are in the training room scene. I explained the rules of the game, or lack of them, and the training began. It got to the point where I could tell that tech skill wasn't Bpow's problem. "Good!, adaptation, improvisation, but your weakness is not your technique..." Brandon gets back up and we train some more. Brandon gets better, but still can't hit me, then complains "Your too fast!" I respond "Do you believe that me being stronger, or faster has anything to do with my muscles, in this place?" Brandon stayed down for a while and I eventually asked him "Do you think that is air you're breathing?" Around March the training began again, this time Brandon was much, much faster and smarter. I taunted him "Quit trying to hit me AND HIT ME!!!" Then after 2 years, a bunch of trash talk, Bpx finally took a set off of me 5 weeks ago. He looks at me and says he knows what I'm trying to do. For which I respond "I am only trying to free your mind."

And...HERE is where we are today...

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Well everyone, I leave tomorrow to go to Montana for my internship for the summer.

So I won't be able to read/post for 3 months, or attend any smashfests (not like I do anyway).

Hope everyone has a good summer, and best of luck to everyone in the tournaments!

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Well everyone, I leave tomorrow to go to Montana for my internship for the summer.

So I won't be able to read/post for 3 months, or attend any smashfests (not like I do anyway).

Hope everyone has a good summer, and best of luck to everyone in the tournaments!
Who can say where the road goes, where the day flows, only time.

Good luck to you too man ^.^

PortCity

Smash Ace
Yeah, he did it again there too....when I saw it was like "How come I have never seen that before?!?!" To me the ability to move while spot dodging is SUPER useful!

Anyway, I also learned an easier way to start up diddy's infinite :-\....apparently I've been doing it wrong. Zinoto was doing it in a really, REALLY easy way.

Soran

Smash Ace
@MegaRobMan

Lance. I remember that shiz! I hope I'm not wrong otherwise I'll look like a fool.
Like I do everyday ; D on smashboards. outside of swf I'm a God.

rofl I'm just kidding. But seriously, Joker is going to UFGT8? sounds fun.

§chizm

Smash Lord
I'll go if others go I guess?

GLHF
Yes but it's not useful, it happens when you buffer it.

If anyone wants to play games tonight (Monday) hit me up.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
@MegaRobMan

Lance. I remember that shiz! I hope I'm not wrong otherwise I'll look like a fool.
Like I do everyday ; D on smashboards. outside of swf I'm a God.

rofl I'm just kidding. But seriously, Joker is going to UFGT8? sounds fun.
Yeah, Lance is awesome, especially in the occasions where they just get to goof around.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Are there any matches being played today? I haven't played but maybe 1nce in 2 weeks. I need practice! You never know when a swarm of humanoid aliens will land on earth and challenge every living being on this doomed planet to a massive crew battle where ~ 7 billion of them play ~ 7 billion of us in 1 v 1 matches to the death! I want to be able to take out at least 300 million of those *******s before they get me!

PortCity

Smash Ace
Given a first glance it looks like:

Joker has Noel Brown in his pool.
NGAMER has Sp00ky,
Skizm is super screwed he has Hologram Gootecks (Did you see what they did with 2Pac?!?). LU|@AlexValleSF4 should be no problem for Skizm :)

Who else of interest is in you guys pools?

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I also have DJ Houshen who plays Vergil/Felicia/Task he used to have Super Skrull but switch to Vergil I think I can beat him Noel Brown not so sure >.< and Greg has JWong 0.0

PortCity

Smash Ace
DJ looks to be on the same level as Noel. There was a match online where they played in pools (amazing this will be the second time they are in pools with one another). DJ actually beats him. Why do you think you may lose to Noel?

BPx

Smash Lord
uh, idk when sekou would be up to come down, i'll ask him later. mjg should be getting here today, so we'll probably be playing (up here) whenever if people want to come up

PortCity

Smash Ace
Brandon: I'm going to need my super long network cable back. Don't worry about it today, but tomorrow or Thursday I'll pick it up from you.

Top Bottom