• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Looks like I'm driving at least 3 others down, so it's up to them and their schedules. I was just going to ask if we could stay the night either Friday or Saturday whatever day we decide to show up. Also, unless someone (Soran) decides to take the ***** seat in my car, it is officially full right now.

Matt, JJRockets + Friend, what do you think of going Friday and staying the night?

Uli

Smash Champion
oh snap ngamer is on a streak. we must CRUSH HIM!!!
but GJ at the tourny this weekend!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
And wtf, MMA is the most homosexual thing I've seen, next to men having anal or oral intercourse (two men kissing, however, is actually LESS gay than MMA; handjobs between men are roughly as gay as MMA). They just sit there hugging and groping for the entire match.
According an old tale:. "So I was doing this guy in the *** the other day, and he turns around and kisses me, so I punch him in the face and say 'faqqot!', the nerve of some homos."

:toonlink::drmario: kissing is way gayer.

I'm guessing you prefer professional wrestling over Olympic wrestling?
Hell yeah! I'm pretty disgusted with how the last ppv went in WWE other than Henry finally getting a world title.

Oh yeah, you guys can't do your gayness now!
The law was passed to ban metaknight not meatknight.

JBM needs to know if there's gonna be melee, Mexi is interested in coming too, so we'd have 3 at least.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Joker you are hosting Marvel right? I'll be entering that so long as its 5. I haven't checked the first post to see.

I may enter brawl depends on how much practice i get.

Mk banned?

§chizm

Smash Lord
EDIT: So if you don't like MMA, I'm guessing you prefer professional wrestling over Olympic wrestling?
I don't prefer any kind of wrestling/grappling. Striking is more efficient and less boring to watch.

If there's Melee at this I'll enter obviously.

Also I guess I'll need a dubs partner for this.

resTy

Smash Champion
If anyone has a camera, they should record the MP4 shiz that goes down. I wanna be able to taste the salt. With Mexi and JBM there, the salt should be massive.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
So I suppose now would be the time to figure out Kahoka.

I'm assuming that no one else from Nebraska wants to come (I'll ask), so I will probably try and go with yalls. May take the bus up to DM, we'll see whats up.

BPx

Smash Lord
You may notice that my stage list contains just about every stage, but is all the ones that are allowed to be legal and after 4 years of me doing this tourneys there hasn't been any complains or troubles with this stages.
Yo Joker... if you are going to leave Green Greens, Japes, and Picto open, you should open up a few other stages, at least norfair/port town... norfair is actually being debated for legality I think...

I'd rather just get rid of all that and use Unity stage list(picto is the biggest garbage POS stage ever), but if you're going to be 'experimental'(stubborn :)) about the stage list, why not try some other stuff?

Cook

Smash Master
Welp, apparently Jordan won't go to any MN banned tournaments, so idk if I can get anyone to come with me to this. :/ We'll see, I guess.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker: I'm glad this small tiff was resolved. On that note, we are picking up CBK today, so Brandon and I will be showing up today to play some doubles. I want us all to get some good practice in before this tourney.

@Cook: :-D That is the most direct request ever. If you guys hold something, anything, even a smashfest on a Sunday, I'll try to make it. Yeah, even if I did put the whole SDA thing on hold, I would be wasting you guys time. The last time I played on a Saturday, which was like what...7 years ago...I played SOOooo bad. It was pathetic. Plus, I'm the biggest hypocrite as it is, so hahaha, I got to keep some semblance of religion. Haha...I can only imagine me playing, kicking butt, getting excited, talking trash and then someone responds "aren't you supposed to be at church?" Hahaha....no good comeback for that :)

@Everyone: Sooooo...if the stars and moon align properly I'll be at this tourney for doubles. Brandon MIGHT have to work. Joker is with CBK...soooOOOooo does anyone want to team with me if Bpx can't show? I promise I don't suck. I play Diddy Kong and...............Wario.

@Brandon: I agree, however I want more stages, not less :-D...so forget all that "unity" stage list stuff ...this is the Midwest Sucka...welcome to the real world :)

BPx

Smash Lord
"
Originally Posted by THuGz
Waaaaahhh I can't beat MK :'((((((( qqqqqqqq
- Iowa, 2011

Welcome to 2009 guys." <----------------- this is mockery

" You should learn to pick up a character that takes skill." <------------ this is salt

lol greg, its the salt that caused the mk banning, you guys all got super pissed for no reason, after the game has been out for 3.5 years... whatever, banning mk is not good for the community, but this is jokers tourney, and he claims he doesn't care about OoS attendance at all... we have a hard enough time getting people to come here(unless you are chloe :)), why add another reason for people to stay away.

§chizm

Smash Lord
I'll prob swing by after work if you guys are playing games (assuming I get done early).

I would enjoy having some of the old dumb stages back, but I know most people hate them, and I'm kinda biased due to all of them being beneficial for me :awesome:.

MK being banned doesn't really affect me either way, it's more or less up to attendance I guess? It's honestly a little late in the game to be doing so. It just means I wasted the 40 minutes it took me to learn the infinite on him.

@Everyone: Sooooo...if the stars and moon align properly I'll be at this tourney for doubles. Brandon MIGHT have to work. Joker is with CBK...soooOOOooo does anyone want to team with me if Bpx can't show? I promise I don't suck. I play Diddy Kong and...............Wario.
I'll be there and I don't have a dubs partner as usual. :grin:

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Schizm: Well it's settled then. If Bpx can't make it, you and I will team. Show up tonight sometime so we can try and figure out what the hell we are going to do :-)

@MK Ban Stuff: Like any good narcisist, I'm going to quote myself. PortCity circa. 2009

... and that is why I am always here to clown you Razor... You do get some credit for admitting it. None the less, that is one of the main reasons I believe the character should be banned. There is a supreme lack of character diversity as a result of him. See in all honesty, I'm shocked Joker doesn't play him. He is a really good player, and Snake (though he has some abusable moves) requires work to win. As I told Andy, Metaknight is the equivalent to a boss character....whenever someone beat the sub-boss they have to fight Metaknight to make it to the next level. That tells you something is wrong right there. Remember, this is coming from someone, who can play him and play him well. The only reason he isn't banned is cause people get beat with him, but no one thinks about how much effort it takes to do it. If he gets banned, people will be utterly amazed at how much diversity we will see in the game. Minus him, the game is balanced, but this is all a dream. Metaknight won't be banned and we will be watching matches like this...until the end of time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHtrRgPklPA

In all honesty, leaving Metaknight in the game creates a Prisoner's Dilemma, where the Nash Equilibrium is "Both play Metaknight". As a result, both players receive the worst payoff, but there is a large incentive to play MK if the other person willnot. In non-economic terms, leaving Metaknight in the game will eventually force everyone to play metaknight.

References: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma :-D

^
|
|

That stuff was spoken like a true profit (prophet maybe?!) Anyway, Joker eventually started playing MK and so did almost everyone else. However, I guess I was wrong about him not EVER being banned. I didn't see that coming back then...so to be fair, I was wrong about that.

@Tyser: Man someone should hit you over the head for screwing up this thread. I thought I was stupid and couldn't use the search features, but turns out it is all screwed up because of those weird extra long pictures you posted 15 years ago :-P

Cook

Smash Master
^I think your whole argument is pretty much a non sequitur. Yes, MK is always the safest choice. He is the best character. He has no bad matchups. However, that does NOT mean that everyone is going to flock to him. Does everyone play MK now? I think not. I mean, how many MK mains do we even have in MW-W?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
"
Originally Posted by THuGz
Waaaaahhh I can't beat MK :'((((((( qqqqqqqq
- Iowa, 2011

Welcome to 2009 guys." <----------------- this is mockery

" You should learn to pick up a character that takes skill." <------------ this is salt

lol greg, its the salt that caused the mk banning, you guys all got super pissed for no reason, after the game has been out for 3.5 years... whatever, banning mk is not good for the community, but this is jokers tourney, and he claims he doesn't care about OoS attendance at all... we have a hard enough time getting people to come here(unless you are chloe :)), why add another reason for people to stay away.
lol I seriously don't know how I do it tbh...I just advertise..

I don't think MK being banned is bad at all. The public sure doesn't think it is if you guys actually checked the poll. I'm pretty sure some of TX is MK banned. I know Xyro hosted some MK banned in the past and they actually had MORE attendance than usual. It's Joker's tournament anyway and as long as he's the TO and people show up, people need to stop crying.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Thugz is just being a kid anyways. Boo something happened I don't want to deal with, lets call everyone salty and whine repeatedly about how mad they apparently are over a game they don't play. Guess what, those types of people probably make up a good portion of that poll too! Yeah go ahead and call everyone salty, but its only going to effect you so who's really mad?

We are 3+ years running on a tournament scene, and I don't even believe the character will ultimately be banned. The idea here is not that we will see less Metaknights winning, its that we'll see a new metagame with characters who had too much of a bad metaknight match-up showing up in tournaments more often. We're getting rid of one, in the hopes of seeing more. Whether you think its better for the game or not, there's been sufficient time for people to contemplate a change and if you're a good player you will just adapt to it.

If you want to give people a reason to come to Iowa, then hold a better tournament in YOUR basement. People liked Brainshock too. That's Iowa's major you can wait for another one of those, but this tourney is called JOKER'S MONTHLY.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Yo Joker... if you are going to leave Green Greens, Japes, and Picto open, you should open up a few other stages, at least norfair/port town... norfair is actually being debated for legality I think...
Dude I should bring back Sky World that stage was fun Sekou knows what's up lol
But seriously Green Greens and Japes are banned on my tourney which is why I have textures on them but Pictochat aint going NOWHERE you hear that's like Iowa home stage so I'm keeping it >.0

Yeah I wasn't to happy at how me and CBK played last night but we will see tonight, otherwise wink wink ^.^

@Brandon: I agree, however I want more stages, not less :-D...so forget all that "unity" stage list stuff ...this is the Midwest Sucka...welcome to the real world :)
See man I guess that's just the difference between new school and old School.

Just because MK is banned doesn't mean we will get less people actually if you notice really the only OoS people that show are Nebraska, St.Louis, Kansas, and Minnesota and the people that show are people who old school Iowa met and have made some pretty good friends with. Probably a reason people don't show is cause is Iowa in the middle of nowhere plus being a tourney on a basement sounds kinda small which I think they are I mean the max I can hold is like 30-40ish and I'm fine with that but when I got a bigger venue I had more then a 100 people show. I used Luigi's Mansion, Green Greens, Port Town, Jungle Japes, Norfair, etc. and people still came so I think me banning MK isn't going to do anything.

Anyway, Joker eventually started playing MK and so did almost everyone else.
And I die a little on the inside T.T

Does everyone play MK now? I think not. I mean, how many MK mains do we even have in MW-W?
That's because we are the MW we never pick top tiers and has been a fact since Melee XP

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I agree, Thugz, you gotta throw a tournament in Nebraska sometime. Everyone who's anyone has thrown their own tournament before (not sure if Tyser has, remember I'm still new :p), and you can make it MK/chain grabs only to fit your ideal brawl set.

Also, Tyser that picture is godly, but that's gotta be a hoax, he's got a girlfriend and all Mega Man nerds can talk to the ladies.

But seriously Green Greens and Japes are banned on my tourney which is why I have textures on them but Pictochat aint going NOWHERE you hear that's like Iowa home stage so I'm keeping it >.0

Just because MK is banned doesn't mean we will get less people actually if you notice really the only OoS people that show are Nebraska, St.Louis, Kansas, and Minnesota and the people that show are people who old school Iowa met and have made some pretty good friends with. Probably a reason people don't show is cause is Iowa in the middle of nowhere plus being a tourney on a basement sounds kinda small which I think they are I mean the max I can hold is like 30-40ish and I'm fine with that but when I got a bigger venue I had more then a 100 people show. I used Luigi's Mansion, Green Greens, Port Town, Jungle Japes, Norfair, etc. and people still came so I think me banning MK isn't going to do anything.

That's because we are the MW we never pick top tiers and has been a fact since Melee XP
Then why did I lose our closest set ever on Green Green's :ANGRYROBMAN:. tbh, I was going to be ready for you, and it was going to be glorious, counter pick CP. I didn't just relook at the OP, but both GG's and JJ's are on there.

Neutral Stages:
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island(Brawl)
- Smashville
- Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:

- Battleship Halberd
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-PictoChat
- Pokemon Stadium 1
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Jungle Japes
-Castle Siege
-Green Greens
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar

Nebraska approves of the decision to keep pictochat, it's a good level and it has a high ceiling, so it's not as if Joker gets a big advantage there, either.

keep gg's, :link:

Also, I play high tier in melee, hell no I am not going to go God Tier. :sheikmelee:

BPx

Smash Lord
how is that the difference joker? i said either add more stages, or take them away completely, don't leave a middle ground. pictochat is really really really dumb(not to mention completely random), have you read the reasons why they banned it? and i'm going to take a wild guess and say that razer probably did a lotof the work getting people to come out before i joined the scene? because not even these friends that "old school iowa" met want to drive out here anymore, except cook<3. I'm saying that if we really want to bring Joker's monthlies back, or any tourney for that matter(I might start looking into things), we actually need to push other states to come. Iowa has good players, but no one seems to care enough to save money/take weekends off/insert other johns/go to tourneys consistently anymore but colin and i...

God
S: :metaknight:(±0)

A: :diddy:(+1) :snake:(-1) :falco: (±0)
B: :marth:(+1) :warioc:(-1) :popo:(±0) :olimar:(±0) :pikachu2:(±0)

"That's because we are the MW we never pick top tiers and has been a fact since Melee XP"

AFAIK, the tier list for brawl is

1.MK(razer, joker, bpow, pcity, ngamer, skizm)
3*.Snake(JOKER, lolsekou'ssnake, skizm)
2*.Diddy(pcity, CBK)
4. Falco(------)
5. Marth(Joker, Twink, chloe)
6. Wario(bpow, pcity, joker, dustin, andy, skizm)
7. climbers lolololol ******ty *** character ****em(skizm)
8. Olimar(dustin, bpow, pcity)
9. Pika(CBK)

I'd say we play top tiers.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I read the reasons why (stages) Pictochat was banned and I find most of it to be crying. It's not as if the plant or diagonal platforms show up at random angles or locations on the screen. yes, the order of sequence is random, but that's COOOOOL and makes for a great stage imo.

The transformation order in PS1/2 are random (I think?), should we ban it?

However if you wanted to remove ANY stage that hurts people, like brinstar/halberd/pictochat, then I would listen to an argument over "random".

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
brinstar and halberd are 100% timed, and predictable, pictochat is random, and willl kill people(aka the reason i've lost TWO sets to you rob...)
So you don't mind tripping which is random, but you care about Picochat and its randomness. Simple tip since Day 1 of Smash, Don't get hit.

BPx

Smash Lord
I don't mind tripping? Tripping blows, but no one is going to compete in a modded version of brawl greg. tripping can't be turned off in the stage select menu either, picto can though :)

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
All good competitive games have some element of randomness. It just about how much control over it you want to give to the player.

To be honest I would go with the most narrow stage list possible(Aka only neutrals :D). I don't try to have "fun" in Brawl, even though Joker's music on pictochat is soooooo gooooood.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Tyser, if neutrals were SV/YI/BF I'd agree with your statement. FD/Lylatt/CS are bull**** neutrals (FD for the lip/CG/camping). If PS1 had a better ledge, I'd say it would be an okay neutral.

FD on melee is fine as a neutral, however. I do play sheik but lol@ me knowing how to cg.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
brinstar and halberd are 100% timed, and predictable, pictochat is random, and willl kill people(aka the reason i've lost TWO sets to you rob...)

and by that logic, am i only supposed to stand ON THE GROUND in the first 3/4 of the stage? http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/MenoUnderwater/PictochatSafetyZone.png?t=1230964617
Actually you could argue Halberd is random in its own right. The stage movement is completely predictable, but afaik, you cannot predict which hazard will happen first and who it will go after (if it does).

But yeah Brinstar's pretty predictable. I'm pretty sure most of the reasoning for banning Pictochat was yes, it was random. But personally, I don't think I'd like to be in the air and get killed by a grounded spike, or be offstage an the line shows up. I guess I just don't feel like we should be punishing the player.

I know someone's going to disagree with me though.

BPx

Smash Lord
only neutrals is how the game should be played(IMO), but brawl is about gaying your opponent out as much as the "rule gods" will allow, i guess.

Top Bottom