• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Twister of Love

Smash Rookie
Hai gais! Just dropping in to say hello! I'll have to make it out to one of these eventually! School has me all tied up this weekend however! I'll try to make it for the next one, PROMISE! *Crossing fingers!

THuGz

Smash Lord
This was such a good read. I didn't really read all of it but I love how much thought/effort all of you salty people put into responding to something that took me 30 seconds to write :')

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
It only took 30 seconds to expose you, but its much more entertaining when you try to pretend you aren't an attention-craving crybaby. :3

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
MurdaMoe i'm sure we could set it up if Joker is cool with it. He said he is.

If i get practice time in I shall be bringing a certain char to Brawl with. Gotta have Rob teach me the ways.

Jayford

Smash Lord
Last time I played Barwl was in Iowa looool. Last time I hooked up my Wii was in Iowa </3. If I ever play this game again I'll probably just learn ICs and mash grab my way to victory :D.

Is anyone getting Dark Souls? Let me know so I can **** up your world and ruin the game for you.

<3
Jay

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Last time I played Barwl was in Iowa looool. Last time I hooked up my Wii was in Iowa </3. If I ever play this game again I'll probably just learn ICs and mash grab my way to victory :D.

Is anyone getting Dark Souls? Let me know so I can **** up your world and ruin the game for you.

<3
Jay
You can bother Nick, Trent and Uli lol.

MurdaMoe

Smash Ace
MurdaMoe i'm sure we could set it up if Joker is cool with it. He said he is.

If i get practice time in I shall be bringing a certain char to Brawl with. Gotta have Rob teach me the ways.
is there actually gonna be a real turnout

cause im with fluxwolf and tempest who are melee players, and they probly wont even play brawl

needs to be worth it

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
There will be a tournament, but the turnout we can't really promise, but if Joker would say "MELEE!!" then I bet we could get the Iowa melee's to come at least.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Here's the thing about Melee I wasn't going to have it but because I like JBM to much I'll let him run it >.0
Melee hype. Teams?

Looks like I'll
try to
practice brawl this week, did JBM seriously say earlier he wanted to play brawl?

needs to be worth it
I guarantee JBM will play melee against those guys until his heart bleeds from not blinking. I saw it on tv once.

Also I will play both games, but since I'm in Iowa most of my friendly time will be spent on brawl since I don't ever play brawl and I need to pretend I'm the best in the state and actually destroy clowns at Kahoka
in beer pong.

BPx

Smash Lord
smash, blake, smash, you go to real fighting tourneys all the time, thats legit. I'm mad when I can't even get ONE other person to come with me when I offer to drive 10 hours in my car...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
If you want to drive 10 hours, come pick me up, imo.

wow 3000 posts. 1000 of them have been serious discussions about mega man
1000 of them have been trolling about mega man
500 of them have been about my cats or drunk stories on the wolf boards
400 of them have been brawl related
100 of them have been explanations about previous posts.

Cook

Smash Master
@Cook: I think you missed the point of Prisoner's Dilemma. It says that from a utility maximization aka rationality standpoint, if someone plays ANY other character than MK it is best for you to choose MK and dominate them. However, the other person knows this, and says "Hey I'll pick MK also!", so you both lose...you fight the ditto... That argument setup my MAIN point which was character diversity. We would have seen a wide variety without MK had he been banned earlier. I'm glad he is, but I fear it is too late. You are right, that are no MK players here, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be banned.
I understand what you're saying, but you're making assumptions that aren't true. If players always did whatever would maximize their chances of winning then yeah, you'd be right. However, players DON'T DO THIS. Obviously MK is always the safest choice, so a player who wants to have the best chances of winning will learn MK and use him. The thing is, players DON'T do whatever maximizes their chances of winning. A lot of other factors go into character choice (otherwise we would all be playing MK, but of course that is not the case).

BPx

Smash Lord
so i'm taking a break to get better at this game called RL because being a stoner, a college dropout, and THE BEST WARIO IN IOWA is gannon tier IRL, and I'll never win any money like that. time to practice some tech skill, i'll see you guys whenever I start passing all of my classes

swag
we out

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
I understand what you're saying, but you're making assumptions that aren't true. If players always did whatever would maximize their chances of winning then yeah, you'd be right. However, players DON'T DO THIS. Obviously MK is always the safest choice, so a player who wants to have the best chances of winning will learn MK and use him. The thing is, players DON'T do whatever maximizes their chances of winning. A lot of other factors go into character choice (otherwise we would all be playing MK, but of course that is not the case).
We all have that pocket mk lololol.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
smash, blake, smash, you go to real fighting tourneys all the time, thats legit. I'm mad when I can't even get ONE other person to come with me when I offer to drive 10 hours in my car...
You know I would...

:phone:

resTy

Smash Champion
Yes, Dekline would wreck everyone here with Tager in Blaz. If you're at Nebkon, he'll play you.

If he uses Ragna, people will get exposed hard.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@This Joker Monthly: Seems like it will be entertaining. Gonna have a nice mix of people. I'm kiinda excited.

@DSM: Try to make it to Ames this Thursday. If you want, I can reserve the clubhouse or we can go the Brandon's place. Whichever you guys prefer.

@Last Night: Good fun, nice matches, no drama....Real life is much different than the boards :-P

@Bpx: No problem man, get your work done. Brawl will be here when you get back. Good matches last night and I had fun teaming with you.

@Joker: Make sure you come up with a good spot for that TV. I think CBK had the right idea (to move it into the corner), or a better idea might be to move your flat screen somewhere else and put the tv where your flat screen is (just for Saturday). I think that wooden drawer thingy is stable.

@Cook: Yeah you did get the point. Your observation is correct, the assumption of rationality does not always hold (which is why economist's theories work on paper but not in real life :) ). However, it doesn't change the fact that it is still ALWAYS advantageous to choose MK. As time went on, and the tournament scene grew, we had more mk players and more pocket MKs sneaking into tournament matches. That was the implication of my argument. That with MK around, it only makes sense to play MK if you want to win, and you are irrational if you try to win without him. THAT concept makes keeping MK around a very bad idea in my opinion.

@Greg: We kicked butt on teams...we haven't done that in a while... :)

@Skizm: Hahaha ... either I was off or you were off...so no one is to blame...we just have to keep playing :)

Cook

Smash Master
Oh man, I might tri to come to this clubhouse thing on Thursday, that place sounds legit and I don't have classes on Friday!

BOLT08

Smash Lord
so i'm taking a break to get better at this game called RL because being a stoner, a college dropout, and THE BEST WARIO IN IOWA is gannon tier IRL, and I'll never win any money like that. time to practice some tech skill, i'll see you guys whenever I start passing all of my classes

swag
we out
Remember when I had all those Johns about not being able to play games cause I wanted to pass my classes and you flamed me hard for it?

Yeah, they're kinda legit aren't they?

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Debo: Where did you come from ?!? :) lol...

@Greg: I got the clubhouse. We can show up and play at like 7-7:30 until whenever.

@QRS: Next time I see you, remind me to give you a phone. You guys have a land line in your dorm, but rumor has it you don't have a phone. I have a spare phone you can borrow.

Kuares

Pizza
@QRS: Next time I see you, remind me to give you a phone. You guys have a land line in your dorm, but rumor has it you don't have a phone. I have a spare phone you can borrow.
That'd be awesome! I really need that.

Anyways, who'll be going from Ames that I can get a ride from to the tournament on Saturday(preferably 2 seats). I'd like to be able to enter the MvC3 tourney and melee so I'd want to be there when it starts-ish.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero

swag
we out
You'll be back. THEY ALWAYS COME BACK!

Does this mean I learned the Yoshi infinite on Wario for no reason? :p You not coming this weekend?

@Cook: Yeah you did get the point. Your observation is correct, the assumption of rationality does not always hold (which is why economist's theories work on paper but not in real life :) ). However, it doesn't change the fact that it is still ALWAYS advantageous to choose MK. As time went on, and the tournament scene grew, we had more mk players and more pocket MKs sneaking into tournament matches. That was the implication of my argument. That with MK around, it only makes sense to play MK if you want to win, and you are irrational if you try to win without him. THAT concept makes keeping MK around a very bad idea in my opinion.
As I've said before, I'm not really pro-ban, but people are going to flock to Diddy since he's the next most broken character. I suppose snake is technically more broken since his hitboxes are designed to be on a character 15% larger...but bananas!

And then all the Falco's and D3's...ugh...

Any Nebraska people need a ride/I can ride with on saturday?
Yes! I believe JBM and I are going and MK Mike has also expressed interest as well. Hell yeah, Full car!

Top Bottom