• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

PortCity

Smash Ace
So umm, it looks like I'll be going to QRS's tourney and then I'll be MIA for a LONG time :(...

Anyway, is there some overflow of DSM people who want a ride with me (and chip in for gas? :) ). I don't mind riding with someone else and paying my share of gas...that would be ideal for me. However, if people carpool with me, I'll give 50% off their share of the gas if they drive :)

Kuares

Pizza
Next tournament: Minesweeper
Next tournament, either Starfox Assault or Metroid Prime 2 FFA. With either Corneria or Norfair un-banned depending on what I choose. I could always try for Dr. Mario, if anything else.

And Soran if you get this Gundam game and it's legit then sure. You're responsible for bringing the game though.

Soran

Smash Ace
StarFox needs to be doubles >: P and sure thing ^-^
But it might not even be a tournament .-. the game is 2v2 and I don't think people want to play one 1/4th screens. I would do $1 but even THAT is too high. I'll bring it anyway and if people bring sticks/pads we can throw down for sure.

BPx

Smash Lord
next tournament, either starfox assault or metroid prime 2 ffa. With either corneria or norfair un-banned depending on what i choose. I could always try for dr. Mario, if anything else.

And soran if you get this gundam game and it's legit then sure. You're responsible for bringing the game though.
norfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (you should just make it legal on sunday :D :D :D)

Jayford

Smash Lord
Next tournament, either Starfox Assault or Metroid Prime 2 FFA. With either Corneria or Norfair un-banned depending on what I choose. I could always try for Dr. Mario, if anything else.

And Soran if you get this Gundam game and it's legit then sure. You're responsible for bringing the game though.
How to win at Starfox Assault.

Step 1.) Pick Krystal
Step 2.) Camp a barrier spawn
Step 3.) Win

Also: I'll play anyone in Gundam Wing Endless Duel. No one can stop my and my boy Wing!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion

Step 1.) Pick Krystal
Step 3.) Win

Also: I'll play anyone in Gundam Wing Endless Duel. No one can stop my and my boy Wing!
Your on, my Epyon and Mercurius will DESTROY you.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

Step 1.) Pick Krystal
Step 3.) Win

Lmao that's pretty right imo.

Also, I want another Power Stone game. :(

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
If you nerds are talking about StarFox assault then you guys give me money now before playing me LOL also having no electricity at home for the past 2 days and being in jail sucks LOL.

gantrain05

Smash Master
if its a gundam fighter, the only respectable one would be gundam: battle assault 2, and if thats the case, game over i've already won.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Wanted to give a shoutout to P-City:

Good games in winners. When I stopped playing this game, I hoped that as I slept on it by this time everyone would advance light years ahead of me to the point where I would never want to play it again. So far, you're the only one who has fulfilled this for me. Even 2 years later, your tech continues to grow everytime I see you. Keep it up, you'll make other people quit someday too! :)
@Blank: I really appreciate the compliment! I really wish I wasn't sick at WHOBO3...that way I could have repped Iowa harder Out of state instead of just instate :-\

@The "Brawl" being a bad game argument: I think as far as a competitive game, Brawl is FANTASTIC for doubles. I have always viewed it that way, mostly because tactics that are "gay" "annoying" "cheap" etc, won't fly in teams. Actually all the gay tactics that work in teams require coordination between two people which is more skill than anything. Pikachu Thunderbolting an enemy in the middle of Kirby's upthrow is "gay" but it requires skill.

Anyway, from a singles aspect, I agree "Brawl" is a bad game and that is why I never dubbed myself a singles player. That said, I have had to practice and get good at singles in order to be an effective doubles player. In order for ME to do that I had to develop the right mindset. I like offense and that is my main staple, however, I know that it is EASY to get murdered in Brawl for that. It was either quit or find a way around it. So what I did was made up my mind to BREAK or at least find work around for all those gay tactics. (My list of Gay tactics: ALL chain grabs, all forms of camping (planking, air, grenade, laser) :-D) My character allows me to do that, so that is exactly why I took this approach. The unfortunate reality is, a lot of characters don't have an easy time stopping those gay tactics and that is where all the fuss comes from. Unfortunately, if the ruleset doesn't change for Brawl singles it is gonna leave only a few options. Teir ***** slash use characters that have potential to stop gay tactics (or do their own) (MK, Snake, Diddy, Toon Link, Wario, Peach, Kirby, Pickachu, IC, Olimar, Rob, *kinda sort* Ness and Lucas) or play long/hard enough until your character can actually deal with it those tactics. The former is easier than the later, and that is why there will always be complaints about brawl being a bad game. Another point. The reason why people complain about "timing out" is because they don't want to take risks. They want to be able to punish people who turtle for free without the potential for being punished themselves. If you want to stop someone who is running away, you have to chase them, with your character NOT with projectiles. Since no one wants to take the risks that it takes to stop those gay tactics, then it is inevitable that "gayness" and the arguments around it will reside.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I think whatever game you play, bad or whatever, if you play hard that deserves props.

In any competitive game, you see it happening where taking less risks is what players prefer. Games get longer, people stop getting hit by day 1 tactics, instead of finding out how to counter situations they know that they're just simply bad places to be in in the first place and avoid them.

Brawl just happens to be a game where taking the risks to get in is inevitably harder then the risks you take staying away, depending on the matchup. The rewards aren't guaranteed even when you do get in, and there are characters who are so good you might just think "Why would I even want to get in on that anyways?"

Doesn't matter to me what playstyle I see, so long as I know they play it "smart." People like Sekou, to know the risks you take and what your opponents options are. Even if he were to play totally campy, he'd be a camper who knows what hes doing.

I stopped playing the game not because I think it doesn't take skill or co-ordination or whatever, its just way too tedious and stressful for a game with an 8 minute timer.

resTy

Smash Champion
GameGenie, what games are you actually good at? Just curious because I've never seen you play a game and actually win on a semi consistent basis. You lose more than you win in Pokemon. You get bodied in Smash by everyone. Is there any game that you consider yourself genuinely good at? Even "average at" is fine. I'm just extremely curious.

For me, it's probably Melee, which I'm probably below-average to average at and Minesweeper, which I'm very above average at. Even random gimmick games are cool, because I play Mines...

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Can anyone confirm Jokers whereabouts, is he still alive? If so, is he still in the US. I sent him a message a couple days ago.
We were at a tourney this weekend. Hes pretty much chilling at home. Proly doesn't check the boards because he doesn't have a computer atm.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
GameGenie, what games are you actually good at? Just curious because I've never seen you play a game and actually win on a semi consistent basis. You lose more than you win in Pokemon. You get bodied in Smash by everyone. Is there any game that you consider yourself genuinely good at? Even "average at" is fine. I'm just extremely curious.

For me, it's probably Melee, which I'm probably below-average to average at and Minesweeper, which I'm very above average at. Even random gimmick games are cool, because I play Mines...
That's a hard one for me actually I consider myself okay at StarFox 64 but never played enough anyone good until I played Dan and I never really touched multilayer much. Bloody Roar I was okay at got reintroduced to the series way late and because of it I never got to play good matches against good people and missed out on the competitive scene. Lot of games I'm consider myself meh to okay to decent at. Yugioh I'm okay at but don't feel like spending on a game that will drain you're wallet faster than a hooker and I quit the game twice before. You never seen me played much PKMN but I consider myself decent at but never got a chance to play alot of people till high school. I start playing PKMN seriously around mid 08 along with smash but I heard about competitive gaming when I was 12-14 and was starstruck because of it and didn't know where stuff was till I got older. I searched this form of gaming cause I wanted to play against people who had the similar interest as myself and to get rid of boredom of playing the CPU over and over again along with friends who sucked at the game along with school plus I hate playing most games by myself nowadays but mainly I desire excitement and frustration when I play people who are better than myself funny enough. That's my answer in a big crappy paragraph along with a brief info about myself and video games as I find it weird that you ask me this question but whatever.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Why doesn't anyone ask me what other games I'm Godly at, it's more than Mega Man :) Someone give me an NES and I'll get you 30 seconds from the world record on half of your collection on my 2nd run through.

Top Bottom