• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

BPx

Smash Lord
So I'm def considering coming to Iowa City this weekend to see my team get their *** kicked among other things. I would be down to hang out with everyone in the area for the weekend. Do you have any plans blake/chloe/qrs/phil/any other ia citians I forgot?

Jayford

Smash Lord
Is there a story behind your sig, Jay or do you just love Miley Cyrus and her almost-legal self?
There is lol. One day my doubles partner and I were being ******** and singing random Miley Cyrus songs durring our pools matches and then I shouted this is for Miley and just kinda floated towards someone and rested them. Then it kinda stuck.

PortCity

Smash Ace
I'll have my personal take on the event in a bit, but first I have a homework assignment for all you little kiddies out there.

1) Get a Dreamcast
2) Practice Powerstone 2
3) Comeback to Ames

Those 3 on 1's were fun :-D

Trent

Smash Champion
Sekouuuuuu

Is there any way you can get those tournament matches between you and me, as well as Tyser and me, online?

I would appreciate it a whole bunch if you could.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Sekouuuuuu

Is there any way you can get those tournament matches between you and me, as well as Tyser and me, online?

I would appreciate it a whole bunch if you could.
You are going to have to hope and pray, cause I can't get those DVDs to work. That guy who stepped on the DVDs or whatever may be to blame. Seems like almost ALL those matches are not lost in the abyss.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
So I'm def considering coming to Iowa City this weekend to see my team get their *** kicked among other things. I would be down to hang out with everyone in the area for the weekend. Do you have any plans blake/chloe/qrs/phil/any other ia citians I forgot?
Well saturday night QRS is hosting a smashfest at his place in mount mercy. I'll be at that. I'm always up for moar smash, so we could definitely get in a few rounds at some point. Let me know which day you will be in town, and we'll work something out.

kuares said:
It was hilarious seeing you guys laughing hysterically. I remember asking Ngamer if he wanted me to go and enter the code. He was like "Nah" and then he hit the pole.
Good times.

Soran

Smash Ace
man crush. yes!!! no but really? can't a guy compliment another guy's glasses? ¬_¬

well this party is a R.AV.E.

we will definitely be brawling. but there will be drunk people undoubtedly >.>

still feel free to come. we got a good number of casuals down in our group. But the address is.....
it's in a place called green valley. definitely not far from mount mercy.

Take Mount Vernon Rd SE up(if you are looking directly at Hy-Vee[I live across the street from it] you should be going left thus 'uphill' ) and turn onto east post rd(left turn) and follow that road and there is a dead end due to road work and there is a stone post that says Green Valley. turn down there and follow that street and his house is second to last.
Saturday night is the time. about around 6/7. come early if you want to brawl with us lolz.
because when people start coming I might get off. But Saros(Tony/ScarletPhoenix) will be glad to brawl all night with anybody.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I'll have my personal take on the event in a bit, but first I have a homework assignment for all you little kiddies out there.

1) Get a Dreamcast
2) Practice Powerstone 2
3) Comeback to Ames

Oh man I don't even think practicing would even help us here, but it was so fun playing that game again.

The story behind Jayford's sig reminds me of Kit and Jordan. So does Tyler's tag.

Next time we play Marvel I want to play on a legit controller. I'd like to play that game again sometime. Also Greg tell me when you get those sticks back because I'm totally willing to buy them. I'll probably end up getting those and some shoddy next-gen sticks or a converter.

resTy

Smash Champion
MvC2 is so easy man.

Magneto - Press all the buttons at random a lot. Profit.
Storm - Jump and press Y a lot. You win.
Sentinel - Fly around and press any button you want. ****.

Jayford

Smash Lord
MvC2 is so easy man.
Magneto/Storm/Sentinel is brutal.
Magneto - Press all the buttons at the same time a lot. Profit.
Nah dude it's all about Cable, Sentinel, and Commando. Spam projectiles all day and if you hit with one cancel it into a super and if someone gets close just press the Commando assist.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
MvC2 is so easy man.

Magneto - Press all the buttons at random a lot. Profit.
Nah dude it's all about Cable, Sentinel, and Commando. Spam projectiles all day and if you hit with one cancel it into a super and if someone gets close just press the Commando assist.
I think Tyser has it right, though your strategy might work at higher level play Jayford.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Actually, now that I think about it, if I drove a separate car to the game from my dad. We could work something out. Either we can go to the thing at Mt. Mercy or at a long shot have them come down to IC.

Soran

Smash Ace
I remember playing MvC2 online and watching a match.
dude was Cable and hyper viper chained the dude until he died... I laughed so hard.

I love listening to online ragers xD

Kuares

Pizza
Actually, now that I think about it, if I drove a separate car to the game from my dad. We could work something out. Either we can go to the thing at Mt. Mercy or at a long shot have them come down to IC.
If you can get a venue and stuff, I'd have no problem getting down to Iowa city. I was just planning a fest at Mt. mercy in case no one else was doing anything.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
You are going to have to hope and pray, cause I can't get those DVDs to work. That guy who stepped on the DVDs or whatever may be to blame. Seems like almost ALL those matches are not lost in the abyss.
>> I stepped on the surge protector that the DVD thing was plugged into. Not sure how cutting the power would ruin the DVDs but if it did I'm sorry guys, my bad. :(

PortCity

Smash Ace
>> I stepped on the surge protector that the DVD thing was plugged into. Not sure how cutting the power would ruin the DVDs but if it did I'm sorry guys, my bad. :(
No hard feelings, but cutting the power and ruining the DVD does make sense. Imagine if your computer is burning a cd and in the middle the power gets cut. Usually the cd is wasted. Never the less, ain't a big deal.

Soran

Smash Ace
so you're the dude I lost to first set ) :, BoredPeanut!!!!!! / :<

rematch dude. next time >: P
I will not lose!

§chizm

Smash Lord
You were being really predictable with your attack pattern : / Try and mix up your approach alot more. I can't remember you doing anything other than a Fair to approach.
Approaching means you already lost.

1) Get a Dreamcast
2) Practice Powerstone 2
3) Comeback to Ames

I couldn't even tell what was going on most of the time in that game.
man crush. yes!!! no but really? can't a guy compliment another guy's glasses? ¬_¬
No.
Nick ruins everything.

so you're the dude I lost to first set ) :, BoredPeanut!!!!!! / :<

rematch dude. next time >: P
I will not lose!
He doesn't even play Brawl man.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Well, it just hit me again that Nebraska's monthly is Saturday as well. If Brandon, Gary, Chloe and Phil want to go to that instead of having casuals then by all means go. However, I definitely won't be available so you'll have to find a way to get there and stuff. I'm pretty sure Greg already has a full car.

Just thought I'd mention that in case you guys missed it.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
Yeah, I got a full car for the 25th cuz we gotta bring our sleeping crap and my car is tiny, so it 4 people and sleeping stuff.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Exactly where do you plan on hosting games in IC? At my house? Haha.

I'll have my mom make more steaks, you know...the ones that Joker and Schizm and a few other people didn't get to eat. :(

§chizm

Smash Lord
Well, it just hit me again that Nebraska's monthly is Saturday as well. If Brandon, Gary, Chloe and Phil want to go to that instead of having casuals then by all means go. However, I definitely won't be available so you'll have to find a way to get there and stuff. I'm pretty sure Greg already has a full car.

Just thought I'd mention that in case you guys missed it.
You mean on the 25th, not this Saturday.
Yeah, I got a full car for the 25th cuz we gotta bring our sleeping crap and my car is tiny, so it 4 people and sleeping stuff.
If Blank is coming he better not bring a fucking huge suitcase.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Wait, what the hell is happening on the 25th?
Sexworld.

This weekend was legit. I got quality time to play both my main games. Therefore I must put more time into Melty now because I now make up 1/2 the Melty scene in Iowa.

On that note, someone fix my P:M sd card because playing smash without a wii is the worse. Next event I want to MM you in Melee Tyser. Best 4 out of 7. Then we'll do the same in P:M and average it out. :3

Tell me when you get your sticks back Greg. I'm really looking to grind some games. To be honest, with stuff like last weekend happening and some new people showing up, it was good to see I could still take a few games seriously.

resTy

Smash Champion
I suppose I'd be down. Not for a lot though.
I don't like doing high stakes money matches with friends.
You'll get to witness my full power :')

I'll do the P:M money match also I guess >_<
Gimme 5 minutes to get used to the stupid Lcanceling mechanic and we're good.

EDIT: 1000th post was a money match acceptance xD
Realistically, this is probably my 5000-6000th post.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I suppose I'd be down. Not for a lot though.
I don't like doing high stakes money matches with friends.
You'll get to witness my full power :')

I'll do the P:M money match also I guess >_<
Gimme 5 minutes to get used to the stupid Lcanceling mechanic and we're good.

EDIT: 1000th post was a money match acceptance xD
Realistically, this is probably my 5000-6000th post.
Haha I didn't intend for high stakes bro. Max is 5 dolla.

Theres a level beyond super saiyan 2!?

Soran

Smash Ace
well that is unfortunate / :<

my controller was fucking up so badly.
xD No john.

it worked from anime Iowa until that night. then all of a sudden when I do a 'serious' match my c stick malfunctions.. then after my match I try some friendlies again.
good. it works. next match... WHY IS IT FAILING!? yeah.. life sucks. I gotta use my newer controllers..
I don't like the feel of a unused joy stick. it actually hurts my thumb Dx

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I need to stop sleeping at 7AM.

Also Greg is right playing RPG's is where its at. <3 Quit fighting games everyone.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
all of a sudden when I do a 'serious' match my c stick malfunctions.. then after my match I try some friendlies again.
good. it works. next match... WHY IS IT FAILING!?
I had to retire my wavebird for the same reason... well and because I wore the grip completely off the control stick so the hard plastic was exposed. In order for cstick input to register, it must return to center after being pushed the first time (so you can't do a 1/4 circle of the cstick and expect to pull an usmash and a fsmash); I think what happened on my old controller was that the cstick did not recenter properly, hence the problem.

We should finalize some plans for saturday night (Sept. 11), because I think I'll be able to drag another person or two from Cornell if I can give them a heads up of what is going on.

BPx

Smash Lord
Is neb's monthly in Omaha? If people would be down I could probably get the MomVan and haul like 6 comfortably with room for sleeping stuff. Let me know so I can ask her to borrow it. Would be better for gas n such.

resTy

Smash Champion
Oh, there is a Nebraska Monthly on the 25th; News to me...
Looks like I'm housing an armada of people this time ehh?

Kuares

Pizza
We should finalize some plans for saturday night (Sept. 11), because I think I'll be able to drag another person or two from Cornell if I can give them a heads up of what is going on.
I talked abit with Ngamer last night(I actually just asked a bunch of questions). He said it'd be more convenient for him if it was in Iowa City but he wasn't sure if he'd be able to get the venue.

In other words, it might change in a day. Until he says he has got the venue, we should plan on meeting at Mt. Mercy around 6:00pm. That sound good?

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I'll have my mom make more steaks, you know...the ones that Joker and Schizm and a few other people didn't get to eat. :(
You know I'm never going to forget about it till I get that steak >.0

Wait, what the hell is happening on the 25th?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285340

my controller was fucking up so badly.
xD No john.

it worked from anime Iowa until that night. then all of a sudden when I do a 'serious' match my c stick malfunctions.. then after my match I try some friendlies again.
good. it works. next match... WHY IS IT FAILING!? yeah.. life sucks. I gotta use my newer controllers..
I don't like the feel of a unused joy stick. it actually hurts my thumb Dx
I need a new controller but the one I use now tends to screw up everyonce in a while so before the match starts I reset the controller.

I need to stop sleeping at 7AM.

Also Greg is right playing RPG's is where its at. <3 Quit fighting games everyone.
You and me both guy and yeah RPG's are amazing I'm actually playing Chrono Trigger DS right now awesome game ^.^

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I just spent the last 2 months playing for the first time FF3, replaying 8 for the thousandth time, replaying ff9 for the hundredth time. Unless I'm playing Mega Man I don't play games anymore unless they are RPG's. I'm now convinced that Final Fantasy 9 is the best in the series (minus tactics that game is godly), taking over FF5 as my former best in the series.

And CC is nowhere near as good of a game as CT. It's comparing a 10/10 to an 7.5/10. Chrono Trigger might be the best game on the SNES not named Mega Man X2 and Chrono Cross isn't even the best Square RPG that was released that year for the PS.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
I'm now convinced that Final Fantasy 9 is the best in the series (minus tactics that game is godly), taking over FF5 as my former best in the series.

And CC is nowhere near as good of a game as CT. It's comparing a 10/10 to an 7.5/10. Chrono Trigger might be the best game on the SNES not named Mega Man X2 and Chrono Cross isn't even the best Square RPG that was released that year for the PS.
Agreed, tactics is the best in the series, probably followed by 9. Let us not even talk about those tactics gameboy games though; great shame.

1) Chrono Cross has a terrific battle system and leveling up system. Which takes away much of the monotony of many other rpgs. Mistakes get punished , which all brawl players should love (e.g. you get greedy and go for heavy attacks too early or make a lopsided team.)

2) Story is pretty good, especially with point 3,

3) ZOMG REPLAYABILITY BATMAN. Multiple story braches, many characters to play with, optional bosses, new game + (with speed boosting options), sidequests...

4) A good music score on the ps1, holy crap!

5) Man did this game have fun spell combos (color field/ summon, vigora/melee attacks...)

I'll probably expand my defense of this great game in the flame war to follow, but I got places to go at this exact moment. Also, I never said CT isn't a great game, for the record.

Top Bottom