• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I like both Cross and Trigger, and I can't really put one over another. However for the things that I appreciate in a game Cross has more of what I want. Good music score, atmosphere, tons of variety with the characters and battle system...

I'm just replaying XenoGears atm because its my favorite RPG of all time. Oh and I'm replaying SA1 because its the only good 3D Sonic game get at me Trent. ~_^

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Let us not even talk about those tactics gameboy games though; great shame.

Mistakes get punished , which all brawl players should love (e.g. you get greedy and go for heavy attacks too early or make a lopsided team.)

3) ZOMG REPLAYABILITY BATMAN. Multiple story braches, many characters to play with, optional bosses, new game + (with speed boosting options), sidequests...

4) A good music score on the ps1, holy crap!
Yeah Tactics advanced wasn't great and Garfield caught in the act did a better job using their plot device (getting stuck in a form of media).

As far as CC, I only played through it once and tried to play it again, but I lost interest. The PS1 has a lot of games with amazing sound tracks, FF7/Xenogears/Tekken 3/Tony Hawk (LOL :psycho: LOL) off the top of my head. Not putting words in your mouth because this is out of left field, but I hate it when Music is put as the #1 or 2 most important aspect of the game.

I liked it better when it was called Tactics Ogre
Yeah that game is amazing too but FFT had LOL factors and probably the 2nd most controversial storyline in a game I've ever played (Xenogears) making it a better game. However the multiple endings thing added replay, etc...

I like both Cross and Trigger, and I can't really put one over another. However for the things that I appreciate in a game Cross has more of what I want. Good music score, atmosphere, tons of variety with the characters and battle system...

I'm just replaying XenoGears atm because its my favorite RPG of all time. Oh and I'm replaying SA1 because its the only good 3D Sonic game get at me Trent. ~_^
Xenogears is TOPs, no questions asked. And I wasn't aware there were any 3D sonic games. other than the minigame in Sonic Jam I suppose.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably expand my defense of this great game in the flame war to follow, but I got places to go at this exact moment. Also, I never said CT isn't a great game, for the record.
No.

This entire argument is going to end in "That's just your opinion."

But you are wrong. Cross is the ******** brother to Trigger and is in no way a superior game.

Legend of Dragoon or XenoGears probably takes the cake as the best PS1 RPG for me.

And while I agree that Tactics is a fantastic game that I've beaten more than once. I'd have to say the best FF is probably 6 [3 SNES]. But my actual favorite and the most influential FF was 4 [2 SNES]

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
Oh and I'm replaying SA1 because its the only good 3D Sonic game get at me Trent. ~_^
I did that once. I hated it since Amy's slow as hell and Big's stages were terrible. Other than that its a pretty cool game. I tried beating Sonic's story without getting the light dash and failed since I couldnt get into Red Mountain.

edit: Oh, and this is why SA2B's the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I6Et7yGjWw

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
LOL Nick's opinion on Chrono Trigger.

Anthrax Ft. Chuck D. of Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, Bad Religion, Powerman 5000, Millencolin, Mos Def, Lagwagon and Fu Manchu is an AMAZING SOUNDTRACK!!!! (Tony Hawk 2).

§chizm

Smash Lord
Chrono Trigger is infinitely better than Cross and is my favorite RPG ever, followed by Final Fantasy 6 and then 9. Legemd of Dragoon is pretty good.
I've never played Xenogears.

Anthrax Ft. Chuck D. of Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, Bad Religion, Powerman 5000, Millencolin, Mos Def, Lagwagon and Fu Manchu is an AMAZING SOUNDTRACK!!!! (Tony Hawk 2).
Bass!, how low can you go?

§chizm

Smash Lord
Tales of Legendia still has my all-time favorite OST. Its just an amazing work for both the series and just soundtracks in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blB-UO1Fob8&fmt=18

Too bad the game was kind of mediocre in every other aspect.
I still have yet to play any Tales game, mostly because I don't know which ones are even good. I've heard good things about Vesperia but other than that I have no clue,

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I still have yet to play any Tales game, mostly because I don't know which ones are even good. I've heard good things about Vesperia but other than that I have no clue,
If you want to go retro, good to start off with Eternia. Its probably the best out of all the old ones even though the English VA's are terrible.

Symphonia is alright, Abyss is great, Vesperia is okay and for the most part my favorite ones are JP only. Legendia I like just for the music.

Imo I should just bring Graces to Christians one day and 4 of us can go through the moonspeak together!

Echo

Smash Champion
Surfing, so I thought I'd throw in an opinion.

I'd agree with you, Rob... MMX2 is definitely one of the SNES' greatest games. Actually I'd say its one of Capcom's best works entirely. However, I'm tempted to argue that Super Metroid is the best game to ever grace the Super Nintendo. I'd hate to put these two games up against eachother, though... they're both elite games.

As for an RPG?? Earthbound.

Oh and Chrono Trigger is definetely better than Cross.

§chizm

Smash Lord
Surfing, so I thought I'd throw in an opinion.

I'd agree with you, Rob... MMX2 is definitely one of the SNES' greatest games. Actually I'd say its one of Capcom's best works entirely. However, I'm tempted to argue that Super Metroid is the best game to ever grace the Super Nintendo. I'd hate to put these two games up against eachother, though... they're both elite games.

As for an RPG... Earthbound.
Super Metroid is one of my favorite games to replay once in a while.

I'm not really a fan of Earthbound though. I just really hate all the characters/setting (except for Poo really) and it reminded me way too much of Dragon Quest. I know I'm in the minority on that though. As far as SNES RPGs go I obviously prefer Chrono Trigger or even SMRPG or FFVI (well technically FFIII I guess).
I spent time getting all 13 endings in CT, and played the DS version to get the extra one.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
If you want to go retro, good to start off with Eternia. Its probably the best out of all the old ones even though the English VA's are terrible.

Symphonia is alright, Abyss is great, Vesperia is okay and for the most part my favorite ones are JP only. Legendia I like just for the music.
Blank I agree with this whole thing, but I really couldn't enjoy Legendia very much. The music was good but the game itself was just kind of meh...

Schizm get:

Eternia, Abyss, Symphonia, Vesperia. If you get Symphonia: Dawn of the New World I'm going to ****ing cry.

Also, I'm replaying Skies of Arcadia and I'm stuck near the green moon. You're supposed to search for landmarks but I guess I suck at searching. Mm, random battles.

Kuares

Pizza
The only Rpg's that I've liked alot in the last few years have been Bethseda games. That just basically means Fallout and Oblivion. I find it difficult to play games that have turn based-battle systems. I'm not sure why I like Fire Emblem though.

Zehpyros:
Look at this map. Park somewhere in the Prairie Drive Lot. Then walk to the Busse Center, you'll see a bench on the side where I'll be waiting :p. Oh and bring your Wii. We'll meet around 6:00.

It took me 30 minutes to write this post : /

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
Replaying Final Fantasy VI again. I think I can finish this time guys. Lol.
Yes.

Also - I liked Tales of Symphonia, that was the only Tales I played though. Are the others multiplayer? I might have to look into playing them.

I couldn't get through the first hour of earthbound. The characters made me angry. [But I love Dragon Warrior I, it was totally my first RPG (and video game) ever]

Super Metroid is definitely awesome.

However my favorite SNES game [Not the best SNES game] is Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts. Cause I'm a masochist like that. I love games that punish you for NO REASON.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
I <3 super ghosts and ghouls so much!!! (well it's more like a love hate relationship due to the frustration and ragequits) It's the game that's plugged into my snes right now.

Sounds like a plan Kuares, I think I'll be bringing two people with me, but definitely one other person.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I <3 super ghosts and ghouls so much!!! (well it's more like a love hate relationship due to the frustration and ragequits) It's the game that's plugged into my snes right now.

Sounds like a plan Kuares, I think I'll be bringing two people with me, but definitely one other person.
u think thats bad, play ghosts and goblins lol, it will make u rage quit before lvl 1 is over.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Yes.

Also - I liked Tales of Symphonia, that was the only Tales I played though. Are the others multiplayer? I might have to look into playing them.

I couldn't get through the first hour of earthbound. The characters made me angry. [But I love Dragon Warrior I, it was totally my first RPG (and video game) ever]

Super Metroid is definitely awesome.

However my favorite SNES game [Not the best SNES game] is Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts. Cause I'm a masochist like that. I love games that punish you for NO REASON.
Yeah just about all of them are multiplayer. Besides the portable ones or really old Tales of games.

§chizm

Smash Lord
You guys should be like me. Quit smash and just play Dynasty Warriors. My roommate and I are on a mission to full clear every single one.
Dude I fucking love Dynasty Warriors, I've beaten almost all of them with my brother. Dynasty Warriors Gundam is loltastic.
You should play Samurai Warriors too.

Replaying Final Fantasy VI again. I think I can finish this time guys. Lol.
You better.
I don't see how you couldn't finish it lol.

The only Rpg's that I've liked alot in the last few years have been Bethseda games. That just basically means Fallout and Oblivion. I find it difficult to play games that have turn based-battle systems. I'm not sure why I like Fire Emblem though.
I hate Fire Emblem games.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
The only SRPG I ever liked for the actual strategy portion of the game was FFT. But even then that game is hella easy to break.

Thats why you play a patched version and all is right with the world. <3

Twister of Love

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! My names Lauren and Im wondering if you have anything scheduled in the future! I looked at a montage video on YouTube and it linked me here! I really enjoy Brawl and would like to play with you sometime! Nice to meet all of you!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
MMX2 is definitely the SNES' greatest game! Actually I'd say its one of Capcom's best works entirely. However, I'm tempted to argue that Super Metroid is the best game to ever grace the Super Nintendo. I'd hate to put these two games up against eachother, though... they're both elite games.

As for an RPG?? Earthbound.

Oh and Chrono Trigger is definetely better than Cross.
I love Earthbound and if I took time to evaluate every single word I type on here I'm sure I'd sound way smarter. Earthbound got my younger cousin into RPG's or at least him watching me play them, gotta love family time when your cousin roots you on. Where was I, ohyeah...Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are very different games in a lot of ways other than the glaring fact that they both have silent protagonists. I'll sleep on it.

I spent time getting all 13 endings in CT, and played the DS version to get the extra one.
"

All RPG's post 9/11 suck
**** those terrorists!

But I love Dragon Warrior I, it was totally my first RPG ever

Cause I'm a masochist like that. I love games that punish you for NO REASON.
Nintendo Power blessed you with amazing gaming skills my child.

FFT is hella easy to break.
Gotta love having every white magic, black magic spell and chemist skills after the first battle

calling it right now
troll account
lol

holy crap that montage was made in 08...
Did you all read my mind tonight?

Haven't hung out with my girlfriend in two whole days.
I feel like an absolute jerk off.
!!!!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Gotta love having every white magic, black magic spell and chemist skills after the first battle
I'm not really talking about the glitches really. I'm talking how rigged certain class combos are and how the AI can be abused. Its very easy to manipulate the AI in FFT, but in 1.3 you can manipulate the AI and still get wrecked without proper zodiac'ing and overall just taking some risks that the RNG hands you and deciding what you have the most fun going for. Its more tense then the average SRPG which is basically just glorified rock paper scissors or a grindfest.

I didn't even know the montage was still up. I thought Joker's account got frozen.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Don't mean to double post, but I wanted to inquire about that venue up in Ames. Wondering if we could ever get that again. Would it really be open for games on Thursdays? I remember Sekou said something about that.

It'd just be nice to know in-case we want to get gatherings started. Plus I know a friend who'd proly come for MALTY BURODO who lives up there, and its just a nice place overall.

If Sekou doesn't see this I guess I'll PM him, but it'd be pretty sweet to have another place for games and whatnot.

Every one should stop playing everything and pick up IaMP.
This a thousand times this.^

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
QUOTE=§chizm;11160344]Dude I fucking love Dynasty Warriors, I've beaten almost all of them with my brother. Dynasty Warriors Gundam is loltastic.
You should play Samurai Warriors too.

You better.
I don't see how you couldn't finish it lol.

I hate Fire Emblem games.[/QUOTE]
RAGE Fire Emblem is godly son.

Edit: Also what everyone's opinion about Kingdom Hearts?

Edit2: MY bad for this.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Haven't hung out with my girlfriend in two whole days.
I feel like an absolute jerk off.
What Tyser has a girlfriend, this is news to me and we need to nerd at some games and you wanna me help with some DI and Teching practice next time we see each other man?

Edit: I also ask you to help develop my space animal game if you wish Tyser?

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
I love Fire Emblem. Mostly for the characters though. They're all pretty much the exact same game.

Kingdom Hearts? Well being that I'm not a 14 year old girl I can't say I'm a fan. I played the second one because everybody told me Sephiroth was THE HARDEST THING EVER OMGQUITLIFE. And that I'd need to be around level 80 to beat him. I got to him at like 45 or something and he was a joke. But you can literally play through them with just one button. Pretty boring imo. Though that dude who threw lances at you was pretty cool. And Mickey being a ninja was totally boss.

I should play something other than SC2 for awhile. [loljkafkSC2]

Top Bottom