• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Intro To Samus + Character Match-Up's

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that I've cotten more experience, I did want to ask: How do you handle defensive play-styles with Samus? At a recent tourney, here's what I lost to:

1. A Fox camping Corneria.
2. A Falco camping Stadium with lasers.
3. A defensive Peach/Sheik who kept waiting for me to make the first move almost every time, waiting with backwards wavedashes and punishing with Sheik combos/whatever Peach does.

I just wonder how to approach defensive players in general. It's a weakness of mine in every fighting game, but with Samus it's amplified because I'm half-expecting the opponent to be the aggressor. Help...?
Well that's actually where mind games as a whole come in. See Samus has her own arsenal of projectiles. Remember the whole trick of it all is to "not get hit". Fox camping on corneria is brutal... it hurts but then again you can camp as well can't you? Most foxes will camp the right area but that leaves you just fine as well. This one really is about drawing them in properly. If you can get them to do something they don't want to it messes up their gameplay as whole. Get them to do something out of the ordinary and if they don't watch it their whole mind set will be gone. Falco camping... errrr... that's a hard one. I guess try to play center stage, power shielding isn't so hard as samus fortunately thanks to her glitched shield. Out camping won't work on falco.... Watch Hugs alot if you want to get that one down (GET GIMPY ON FALCO). And a defensive peach... On what stage are you talking about? Samus actually does well against peach. It should be completely the other way around, in which you are forcing her approach... Sheik is a pain. I actually don't have ANY experience fighting sheik while playing samus T_T sorries. I have done it the other way around however... it's not nice to samus.

Don't forget the samus staples. Wavedash back to F/U-tilt and wavedash forward to f-tilt... Both help if you keep your spacing down flat. If your opponent just slightly messes up their spacing be sure to punish them

EDIT:On a side note...
What I find almost impossible is Double missiling with samus...
I can SHDL no problem but double missile is just ridiculous...

AIDS

Smash Lord
Space yourself with Tilts, your range is great, use F-tilts spaced to the max, and use differant jab veriatys on there shield. Often with defensive players you can mindgame a grab, then combo out of it. With Falco be consistant with powershielding his lasers, or on pokemon stadium stay on a top platform. Even if he comes there is very little he can do from below while you are on top(shine back air is probably his best option).

Peach floats low a lot, and it is hard to come out of float into air dodge or shield etc. Mind game a missle or a charged shot. Example: bomb, jump and air dodge into it right away with a grapple, fallows into a short bomb jump, you are perfect hit and full charge shot. Plus if grapple hits pretty much Combo. lol Pluss collness points.

Shiek is gay, space well! When ever you are shielding and she jumps(often players jump into charge needles and Cancle out and jump again or do an ariel or something) jump out of you shield and Uair, or Nair at high percent. Abuse her recovery, Aniki's Samus is pro at that!

Fox, just stay close, tilt, fallow him. His spam wins so force him into melee, if he camps close to edge then predict his attempt of get away and you might get a gay kill, or rack up tons of % in edge guarding. Lol

Please look at first page post #3 to help you more in most of these match ups. Also Corey games has a section on post #2.

Geist

Smash Master
What I find almost impossible is Double missiling with samus...
I can SHDL no problem but double missile is just ridiculous...
Full jump, and AS SOON as you leave the ground, whip out a smash missile. When you get the the point where you can normally MC, do it, and you'll have your double missile. Make sure you full jump, so make sure you dont move your thumb too fast or you SH. Also, don't jump with your control stick, just in case you do.

What comes after learning that is REALLY hard: SHFFMCing and Hylian lowriding.
God that's a wierd name.

So would samus be a better match up against falco or fox?
The matchup description pretty much nails it. Falco spends so much time approaching you from above, you just have to spam UpB. Avoid FD.
Fox is a nuisance. I try to refrain from CCing anytime, almost like I was facing a peach. There are too many things he can do to **** you in that position. Unless you're Hugs or something, fox is a bad matchup.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Depends. Samus has many styles. But most Samus styles over all, I would say Fox. Falco is pretty boring to fight. I am sure most experienced Samus players would vote to fight Fox.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Depends. Samus has many styles. But most Samus styles over all, I would say Fox. Falco is pretty boring to fight. I am sure most experienced Samus players would vote to fight Fox.
I'll second that, but only by a small margin. I don't really mind either space animal, in all honesty. Fox can kill Samus easier with his up-whatevers, but, in my experience, I can usually control the ground against him easier. Also, I definitely use up-b more agianst Fox than CCing. It still has its uses against Fox, although it's better agains the **** bird for sure.

The only part where I prefer fighting Falco is, obviously, edge-gaurding. It's so satisfying to see his bad recovery screw him over....:bee:

Geist

Smash Master
Mostly I like to fight Fox, I find Falco depressing with his lazarz and his hitboxes.
Even though I find Falco an easier matchup.

The abnormally high level foxes can be a hopeless fight though.

Or the Philip Coast Special: wavedash off ledge (like on FD) to missile and have it fly right above the ground...
*stolen*
I do that off of really low ledges like on FoD. Doing off the ledge sounds sexy.

*stolen*
I do that off of really low ledges like on FoD. Doing off the ledge sounds sexy.
I find it really hard to do actually... can't figure out how to be consistent with it. Most of the time I just end up smashing a missile into the side of level... but... it's doable.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Have you guys ever done this:

go to FD
drop a bomb right on the edge of a level
fast fall down near the edge
Do a rising grapple so close to the stage that you rise up in the "I just came out of my up B/air dodge" tumble
Hit the bomb as it explodes
Do any aerial
LOL

I've blown minds with it.

duals

Smash Journeyman
go to FD
Do a rising grapple so close to the stage that you rise up in the "I just came out of my up B/air dodge" tumble
Do any aerial
LOL
......................what? I've just read this about ten times and i can't picture it in my head....

go to FD
Do any aerial
LOL

Actually, it's way easier if you just lay a bomb, go off the edge, the hold forward and jump and you'll jump right into it. I have one measily clip of me doing a combo with it (like into a fair or something), but it wasn't good enough to put in a combo video I didn't think. It was a couple years ago so I could probably do a better one now...

I keep trying it anyway, and even though my friend doesn't know what I'm trying to do, he runs into (or whatever) my bombs anyway just to get rid of them (good strategy on his part anyway).

Geist

Smash Master

go to FD
Do any aerial
LOL

LOL
that reminds me of the time when I was recovering back to the stage with bomb jumping and I was Dair spiked by a falco at like 120%, and as we were both falling I hit my bomb and Dair'd him LOLOLOL

Corigames

Smash Hero
I was trying to find a way to come out of the 3rd jump doing an attack and this is the closest I came. If it works, awesome, if not, you either land on the stage or grab the edge. It's fun.

Also, doing this into a full charge blast into grabbing the edge...

lolololololololololololololol

Geist

Smash Master
Well Kongo Jungle has a ******** sweetspot on its ledge, and Samus's recovery gets buffed because of the barrel and the ability to go through the bottom of the stage.
It makes marth easier to edgeguard.

rhan

Smash Hero
Quick question for Samus players.

What are your thought's on Samus being a mid tier now? Me personally thinks that's a load of BS because Samus can be played godly. Also she has many AT techs that she can do to confuse and change a matches outcome like that. Dispite her weaknesses.

duals

Smash Journeyman
Im kinda pissed. I know how good samus can be so it doesn't totally ruin me. Its not like Im going to stop playing samus because of it...

ice climbers? gtfo

AIDS

Smash Lord
ice climbers? gtfo: in progress. hopefully finish IC's this week soemtime.

Mid tier comment: Her number from 1st to last did not change that much so it is not a huge deal. Plus not a lot of Samus players.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Quick question for Samus players.

What are your thought's on Samus being a mid tier now? Me personally thinks that's a load of BS because Samus can be played godly. Also she has many AT techs that she can do to confuse and change a matches outcome like that. Dispite her weaknesses.
She's at the very top of mid, right below high tier. I think it's not that big of a deal at all. She's still solid. In fact, she's still awesome.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to get some more detailed advice on the Jiggs match-up? My last tourney, I got destroyed by that. I lost in winner's finals and loser's finals to Marth mains who picked Jiggs knowing I was bad at that match-up. I saw Corey's post about using bombs, but I need some more details as I work on doing that. Thanks, guys.

AIDS

Smash Lord
She's at the very top of mid, right below high tier. I think it's not that big of a deal at all. She's still solid. In fact, she's still awesome.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to get some more detailed advice on the Jiggs match-up? My last tourney, I got destroyed by that. I lost in winner's finals and loser's finals to Marth mains who picked Jiggs knowing I was bad at that match-up. I saw Corey's post about using bombs, but I need some more details as I work on doing that. Thanks, guys.
Bombs are not very effective on her. Jiggs style is hit and avoid constantly.
You have to out space her, be smart on your recovery, and a lot of charge shots.

Recovery you should often use ssb64 recovery. You should also up B out of shield a lot. and to kill Jiggs full charge shot helps so much. She is good as avoiding missles, but charge is to fast for her to react while she is in the air.

Shield pressure on jiggs is also effective. if her shield breaks she dies. So spaced Ftilts etc. will help. Aslong as she is not smart enough or can't reach you with jump Bair or Fair out of shield.

Jiggs is a gay match up but these little things will help you win...I said win, not have a fun match!

'Fro

Smash Lord
You have to out space her, be smart on your recovery, and a lot of charge shots.

Recovery you should often use ssb64 recovery. You should also up B out of shield a lot. and to kill Jiggs full charge shot helps so much. She is good as avoiding missles, but charge is to fast for her to react while she is in the air.

Shield pressure on jiggs is also effective. if her shield breaks she dies. So spaced Ftilts etc. will help. Aslong as she is not smart enough or can't reach you with jump Bair or Fair out of shield.

Jiggs is a gay match up but these little things will help you win...I said win, not have a fun match!

And what if she can reach me with the fairs and bairs out of sheild? And what if the Jiggs is spacing against up-b out of sheild? Also, which stages should I take Jiggs to apart from Yoshi's?

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'll humbly disagree with that. While her style may be hit-and-run, her arms and feet are too small to hit you and a bomb in front of you. If it hits you, then she is definitely getting hit by the bomb explosion. A simple way to take out a regular ol' puff is to drop a bomb and f smash or tilt toward it (depending if you want to kill or damage respectively).
the underlined part I'll agree with, however, charge shots aren't that great. Almost every move puff uses will out prioritize the chargeshot. No kidding. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure her Fair, Bair, and pound all go straight through it. If you are going to use the chargeshot, I would say use it in the aforementioned situation. Drop a bomb and blast 'em.
You should also up B out of shield a lot.
Always relevant.
She is good as avoiding missles
1. Missiles (M-i-s-s-i-l-e-s)
2. One way to mess up a jiggs is to learn to consistently shoot ground-riding missiles. You know them, the ones that can even hit pichu when it's crouching.
Shield pressure on jiggs is also effective. if her shield breaks she dies.
LOLOLOLOLOL
So spaced Ftilts etc. will help.
Always relevant.
Aslong as she is not smart enough or can't reach you with jump Bair or Fair out of shield.
BTW, very annoying.
AIDS is a smart guy, I just have a dissenting opinion. I'm not saying he's wrong or I'm right in places where I something like this, but I think what I have to say should be noted or tried.

That is all.

I love you.

good night

AIDS

Smash Lord
And what if she can reach me with the fairs and bairs out of sheild? And what if the Jiggs is spacing against up-b out of sheild? Also, which stages should I take Jiggs to apart from Yoshi's?
Yoshis is good. Samus is good on yoshi's. If he is spacing the up B out of shield then you must have done it when it was not called for. In a case where she is spacing it, wavedash out of shield and do an Fsmash, or jump out of shield to Nair or Bair. Shield pressure is effective cause of the fact if he shield breaks she dies, so Jiggs has a lot of pressure and might make dumb options. But if she is punishing you then back off from it.

Geist

Smash Master
Also, nothing to do with the matchup, but sometimes Jiggs has this wierd weakness to fire.
Not as prolific with Samus's fair and dtilt as it is with roy's upB (it kills her at 0% if hit properly) but on a stage like yoshi's Samus's fire is prety useful.

duals

Smash Journeyman
What would be a good approach move against a Falco that fast fall lazers on final destination? I tend to just jump and bomb recover over the line of fire but no luck.....

AIDS

Smash Lord
What would be a good approach move against a Falco that fast fall lazers on final destination? I tend to just jump and bomb recover over the line of fire but no luck.....
Recovery wise: SSB64 bomb recovery (just bomb and go forword [gives momentum])
On stage wise: Power sheild (assuming FD like you said)

'Fro

Smash Lord
Recovery wise: SSB64 bomb recovery (just bomb and go forword [gives momentum])
On stage wise: Power sheild (assuming FD like you said)
What about steadily Wavedashing out of sheild? Maybe combine that with powersheilding?

BunBun

Smash Master
the underlined part I'll agree with, however, charge shots aren't that great. Almost every move puff uses will out prioritize the chargeshot. No kidding. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure her Fair, Bair, and pound all go straight through it. If you are going to use the chargeshot, I would say use it in the aforementioned situation. Drop a bomb and blast 'em.
It's risky to use a jiggs Bair or pound to get through a charge shot. The timing is an issue with the Bair, and the pound stays out FOREVER....

I've also had the last bit of her Fair get eaten by a charge shot, so... I dunno.

Now that I know what you'll be trying to do, I'll make sure to ban stories against you next tourney =P

'Fro

Smash Lord
Any advice for someone who has trouble power shielding?

Also, what stage would be best against a Falco?
I personally like Battlefield and Yoshi's against him, especially Battlefield. The ledge issues there hurt Falco a bit, and he can't truly camp you there. At least, that's assuming you're playing against a campy Falco. Dream Land is never a bad choice for Samus, either, but it does give Falco some more room to shoot lasers.

AIDS

Smash Lord
What about steadily Wavedashing out of sheild? Maybe combine that with powersheilding?
If your powershielding is very accurate, then the Falco should feel presured to make a amove and often his aproach won't be...wise, due to presure. The Idea with samus is to make others aproach you, and often you will punish them.
Combined them if he keeps spaming and won't come tyo you after waiting for like forever. Still effective, but not as much as waiting for him.
Any advice for someone who has trouble power shielding?

Also, what stage would be best against a Falco?
My fav stage with any charecter except marth is dreamland, but thats in my situation. For in general a good stage against falco would be battle field. You can camp on the left or right platform, fake drop downs, jump back up waveland up. etc. Also with battlefield fox and falco can not sweet spot going straight sideways to the ledge. At the right hight for sweet spot, Falco would be battle fielded. Very effect stage vs falco I would say. you can edge guard or gay every time he is off the edge.

if you are not effective at powershielding, then you practise. Turn on level 9 cpu, run to other end of stage. The computer will walk a bit, laser over and over until he gets to you. Then run away again. Fox and Falco both will do this.

For other strats, side note: Falco's up B has NO hit box until he is actually moving. The flames can't hit you. Only fox's can. So spacing and priority is not something to consider. Walk off stage and Nair him. Learn to abuse him off edge. And use shield and camping on ledges to help.

Geist

Smash Master
For other strats, side note: Falco's up B has NO hit box until he is actually moving. The flames can't hit you. Only fox's can. So spacing and priority is not something to consider. Walk off stage and Nair him. Learn to abuse him off edge. And use shield and camping on ledges to help.
So true. As soon as falco is off-stage, it's over. Unless he's high enough to recover overhead, then that gets trickier.
On battlefield, his >B recovery is pretty nerfed, and he can actually screw himself up and hit that deadspot on the ledge and he won't sweetspot. Also, if he >B's he doesn't actually grab the edge fast enough to get away from an utilt or ftilt directed down.

Actually I like to run off and nair Fox as well... you just have to space your nair correctly and possibly even predict where he's going to go...

Geist

Smash Master
the great thing about falco though is that is you prematurely extend the nair you can continue falling and nail him again, and he has absolutely no way of recovering. That'll teach him to be so ****ing cocky.

Top Bottom