• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Drop Name Change Consideration Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
lolwat

Trip canceling is two syllables more than ink drop.

Also, trip can = ink.
dude, use the noggin.

Trip canceling = ink drop cancelling, not ink drop. The ink drop is just the trip, not the cancel. ink drop = trip. and if you didnt notice, the "trip" ones are shorter.

and how does trip = ink? are we really gonna say ink instead of ink drop??

"yeah, then i inked him, and he inked me back."

sounds dirty.

Mr.Loser

Smash Apprentice
Lets see some ideas for creative names,trip and stumble both sound off to me and i'm on par with the people who say a move should be named for how it looks or works not by who stumbled upon it.

~Butterfingers-Cancel
-~inept-Cancel
~Unwieldy-Cancel
~All Thumbs-Cancel

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Since when does a name need to be descriptive? This is something completely unique, unlike something like a missile cancel which is just landing after you shoot a missile to eliminate lag. If they hadn't discovered that it could be cancelled, nobody would give a **** what it was called.

When I first heard someone say "wavedash" it sounded like it had to do with lasers. Somebody new to the game also doesn't have any idea what dash dancing means, or teching, or wobbling; so why does it matter whether it's called the Ink Drop (what?), or the trip (you go on vacation?), or the dash pivot?

Ink Drop sounds the best. "Inksmashing" sound so much cooler than "Dash Pivot Smashing".

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Ink Drop is alright to me. Since it is a trip, why not call it Ink Trip? Short and sweet.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Just for the clarification, Zauron was the first to discover tripping but Inkslinger discovered the actual inkdrop, that is, canceling the tripping with a move (that's how I think it is, sorry if I'm wrong)

Also in the SSE kirby and mario video, near the end of the fight mario stops suddenly from his dash and f-smashes immediately. What do you think that is :confused:

It's called Lavis Lunging because I found it firsterer than all of yewz. :p

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
For all we know Sakurai dubbed that trip animation the stumble.
Sakurai isn't directly responsible for English language confirmation updates....
He's not responsible for the Japanese DOJO updates either...he just provides his input

Everyone gives him so much credit...<_<

Jammer

Smash Lord
It seems most people are fine with Ink Drop. But should we call it that if Ink himself doesn't want it named after himself? I'm not sure how that usually works.

Also, I'm guessing there will be an official name for the tripping part of the move in the game manual. We will add "-cancel" to that name, and everyone will know what it is. That's what I predict will happen. That's also what I think would be for the best.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Sakurai isn't directly responsible for English language confirmation updates....
He's not responsible for the Japanese DOJO updates either...he just provides his input

Everyone gives him so much credit...<_<
Well, he could just say to his developers, hey wow, cool idea, why not call it the trip? Then another one says, well, it looks more like a stumble. Then Sakurai says, THE STUMBLE! YEAH, YOU'RE BRILLIANT! Thanks for getting me a raise ^.^ Then, in the documentary, the move is dubbed the stumble, and even its skeleton animation is called like that. Next, the Dojo updater picks up on it, and creates an entry called Stumbling, but in Japanese. Then, that dude who did the Brawl presentation picks up on that and translates it to Stumbling.

Thus, it is still Sakurai's dubbing.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Somebody else said it before, but it would be used in this type of context:

"Oh, dang- he just inkdropped a ftilt right in his effing face!"

"Did he just inkdrop on accident? Learn how to dashdance noob!"

I think it sounds perfect.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
"Stumble" and "Stumble-Cancel" or at least synonyms of those ideas. Game description > personal glory.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
"Stumble" and "Stumble-Cancel" or at least synonyms of those ideas. Game description > personal glory.
QFT. And T!mmy actually played the demo too.
Did you discover any new techs too? The Timtilt? Timspill? :laugh:

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I don't expect the name ink drop to stick, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just stumble, that's just more natural. Naming techniques after yourself generally doesn't work.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
Ink Drop. It's a play on words, it credits a guy who sort of discovered it, it sounds cool and is short and does refer to what it actually does. (Dropping to the ground)

To all those who say that we can't call a built in technique something other than the official name:
We did it to Fox's reflector. I think the name shine is just as ambiguous. One could try to justify it by saying the reflector flashes or shines. But that doesn't even refer to what it actually does which is reflect. Names of techniques in this community don't have to have anything to do with what they actually do. At least one can say Ink Drop is justified because you're dropping to the ground.

To all those who say it doesn't refer to what it actually does:
Neither does wavedash which is not a dash technique at all like other things with dash in their name. (Dash dancing actually involves... you know, dashing)

To all those who say the abbreviation is taken:
Tumble Canceling/Trip Canceling = TC = Topic Creator
Stumble Canceling = SC = Soul Caliber.

It's ****ed impossible to find an abbreviation that isn't taken. Context means a lot guys. It's not like it's HARD to figure out when someone is talking about ink drop canceling or saying "I don't care."

You guys need to face that this community has a WEIRD lexicon.

No Johns? WTF? Here's another COMMONLY USED phrase in this community that makes NO SENSE TO ANYONE if they don't know the story behind it.
How about Sandbagging? Sure it makes sense if you think about it, but the average person won't get it.
I already covered the shine.

This is a community that talks about this series in a really bizarre way. And ink drop is pretty descriptive compared to the others and will work in the community. The fact that it sounds interesting will go a long way, especially in a community that tends to not contain the people who wouldn't know its origins anyway.

T0MMY

Smash Master
People already have an issue with "wavedash" because it just confuses people learning it as to what the wave is when you're not doing a dash animation. This is why it is common to hear people say "slide".

It's a poor decision to ask the community what to call it, because, on the whole, the community doesn't know jack about melee and nuthin' about Brawl. Come on, somersaults, tumbling, inkrollflybywaveshineubersomething? It's obvious they haven't even seen it. We've been discussion why Yoshi fell over in one of the videos long before anyone decided to name it after someone, but the canceling of the stumble animation into a pratfall (falling on one's buttocks) should just be what we were calling it +cancel.

Simple as that.
Trip-cancel, Stumble-cancel, pratfall-cancel, take your choice.

Frogla

Smash Ace
i think anyone who wants a name change is jealous of ink. If he discovered the flippin movement he can name it what he wants. Inkdrop is the name i will call it forever.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
I don't expect the name ink drop to stick, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just stumble, that's just more natural. Naming techniques after yourself generally doesn't work.
Wobbling?

Why does the the name have to be descriptive of the technique, wavedash doesn't do that.
It's just a name, no big deal.

People should rather be worried about edgehugging, you hear me HugS? We aint hugging no walls!!11!!1 :p

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So Ink dropping is what Yoshi was doing in that Gif. What does it even do and how does it work. Sorry to be a n00b, but it would be appreciated.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Snjw

Tumble cancel, ANYTHING BUT FREAKING INK DROP! INK DROP IS NOT RELATED TO HOW YOU DO THE TEQNICHE AT ALL AND IS ANOTHER STUPID, CONFUSING SMASH NAME.

JUST USE A NAME THAT IS RELEVANT TO WHAT IT DOES!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
i think anyone who wants a name change is jealous of ink. If he discovered the flippin movement he can name it what he wants. Inkdrop is the name i will call it forever.
Yeah, well I discovered the Trip before him, and you don't see me asking it to be called the Zauron Drop do you? And as many have said, its not even Ink himself that named it that, its someone else, and I'm not sure he even likes all this attention (he hasn't spoken up in this thread yet). If it were me, I wouldn't want it called the Zauron Drop all the time, that's just weird.

I know Gimpy is a well-known and popular mod, but I think it was completely unfair of him to decree what something should be named instead of letting the name evolve naturally from what the move does. He even admits they aren't entirely sure how it works, and their initial method of doing it isn't exactly correct (for one thing, it doesn't explain how to do it out of an idle).

Also, the argument that anyone who asks why its called that can be told "Ink discovered it" doesn't make much sense to me. If it was called "The Miyamoto Technique" I could see that, but its not like people are going to know who the heck "Ink" is or even that "Ink" is a person's name and not referring to the substance. But even if it was someone that famous and well-known, it still wouldn't make sense to name it after them, and I don't want to see that question asked and answered over and over and over agin for years.

As the first post says, *I* discovered the move before Ink did with hours of meticulous research, Ink just figure out you could cancel it, and by Gimpy's own admission hasn't even truly figured out how to do the move or the cancel reliably. We don't even know if Ink was the first one to do it in the demo, since there are many other players there that aren't part of Smashboards that likely did it before him. Therefore, by the logic of those saying that it should be named after Ink because he "discovered" it, in truth it should be named after me, with the cancel named after him. The Zauron-Drop Ink-Cancel.

But, like Inkslinger, I'd rather not have my name in the name of a common-place move for the next 6 years. Please do not actually call it that.

As the original discoverer of the move, I say name it the Trip and the Trip-Cancel, then we won't be flooded with "what's an ink drop?" by n00bs for the next 6 years. When a n00b sees the name Trip and Trip-Cancel they'll know exactly what it is, because they would have seen it happen in the game within the first day or two they played it, and it is obvious that's what we're talking about. Its not like Wavedashing where you may never have seen it after playing for years, this is a common move already seen being done by CPU's and in a trailer direct from Nintendo. It will be as commonly known an air-dodging and should have an equally common name.

On a side note, someone asked about Mario stopping suddenly from a dash. I got a clip of that too.

Notice how it was discovered by Wyvern but we are currently calling it "Dash Brake" and not "Wyvern Halt" or something :p.

Frogla

Smash Ace
well maybe because wyvern named it dash brake. And when has ever advanced names made sense. Wavedashing, Ken Combo, Wall of Pain

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
well maybe because wyvern named it dash brake. And when has ever advanced names made sense. Wavedashing, Ken Combo, Wall of Pain
Problem is those names do all make sense. Wavedashing is a technique that is noticable for being a special dash that makes waves of air. The other two aren't even techniques, they're just combos. The first is the signature move of one of the most famous smashers, and the other seems fitting.

Ink Dropping, on the other hand, is just... dumb. Ink happened to be the first one to find it, but it was just in a demo. It wasn't like after millions of people played the game for hours when suddenly one lone user made a breakthrough.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
When ink drops, it spreads rather quickly, causing a mess.

It does make sense. When Ink Dropping, they expect you not to cancel, but you don't know what that other can do, thus causing chaos in your judgement.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Da Dash/pivoting

I think there is actually a history lesson here. Back in 2004 Phillybilly from New Yorks Deadly Alliance discovered what his crew deemed as the "DA Dash". The "DA DASH" was the accepted name for the technique for a few weeks until the Muffin King posted a thread with the technique in more detail and remainied it "Pivoting" which was grossly more appropriate. I decided I would add the term to the compendium as both the DA Dash/Pivoting and let the community decide. Eventually Pivoting won out and you barely even here anyone call it the DA Dash anymore. This may be one of those cases where the name should probably describe what the technique is than who discovered it.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
Ink drop it stays!!!!!!

Zauron wasn't the first to discover ink drop as he just merely observed it but doesn't even know how to do it. I was the first one to actually implement it into battle and that's what counts.

edit i think the dropping itself should be called the ink drop, but cancelling it should be called something in regards to pivoting.

I'll also let you guys know that ink dropping is easy for me, but i'm having a hard time cancelling it again and the long pivot dash cancel that i did might not even be an ink drop cancel.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Ink drop it stays!!!!!!

Zauron wasn't the first to discover ink drop as he just merely observed it but doesn't even know how to do it. I was the first one to actually implement it into battle and that's what counts.
So basically it's more of an ego trip than anything else?

-__-

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Here's one of the very first posts mentioning the name, by Inkslinger himself:

King i actually agree with you to just rename it dash cancelling......it makes more sense since it isn't a drop.
Inks drop (the name is deceiving, it should probably be renamed) because it's not a drop, it's cancelling that drop. This new technique is a new form of pivot if anything.
no cause, you can turn around. k maybe dash pivot is more proper term.
Of course when he suggested the name dash cancelling he forgot that is already a term used for something else (just as I forget that Tumbling meant something else), and when he later mentioned Dash Pivot he didn't realize the move can also be done from an idle somehow and it doesn't necessarily pivot you, so its too limiting of a name.

Therefore, since Inkslinger himself suggested renaming it, and I discovered it before him and named it Trip-Cancel, by the same logic of people saying it should be called "Ink Drop" because of Ink naming it, it should be called "Trip" because I discovered it first and that's what I named it, just like Wyvern calling it "Dash Brake" when he found that move.

Also, just because names didn't make sense before is not a good argument for having them purposefully not make sense now. I think many community members would rather not have to explain the meaning behind obscure names over and over again for years if we can avoid it now with a name that's immediately understandable.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Ink drop it stays!!!!!!

edit i think the dropping itself should be called the ink drop, but cancelling it should be called something in regards to pivoting.

I'll also let you guys know that ink dropping is easy for me, but i'm having a hard time cancelling it again and the long pivot dash cancel that i did might not even be an ink drop cancel.
Except you don't know how it works entirely either. How do you do it out of an idle? How do you do it in any direction at any time as the clips I found show?

You were one of the first to suggest renaming it, I'm surprised now you changed your tune. Did it start to go to your head? Inflating your ego? You don't think if I could have gone to the demo, I would have found it first, since I was interested in it a week before the demo started and it would have been one of the first things I tried to figure out how to do instead of stumbling across it on accident? You don't think any random player could have found it within a day of it coming out?

Also, I didn't just "observe it" casually, I spent many hours going through every video clip at frame-by-frame speeds studying each character one by one to try to discover new moves, and when I did find it, I took a snapshot of each frame of it, cropped them by hand, and made that .gif. Then I sucked down a lot of my own site's bandwidth to show it to people and tried to draw attention to it, suggesting it had the possibility to lead to new advanced techniques, and kept bringing it up even though everyone else was far more interested in the discovery of Wavedashing being gone. No one else had noticed it before me and no one besides me seemed to think it was an important discovery that could lead to advanced techniques. So its not like I just randomly saw something and decided I should get credit for it - in fact, the thought of taking any credit for the discovery never occured to me until the move somehow ended up being named after you.

This isn't like Wobbling or the Ken Combo where you discovered a new technique after millions of players had been playing the game for millions of hours and you somehow found something no one else did. You stumbled across a move that was demonstrated by a CPU a week before you went to play a pre-release demo. This is not worthy of having the move named after you.

Makkers

Smash Cadet
Ink drop sounds cool but it doesn't scream out it's meaning like Trip-Cancel does. Not only does it sound just as cool as Ink Drop imo, it gives players a better idea what they are aiming for when performing it, much like how techniques such as wavedashing are pretty descriptive about what it you're aiming for.

Trip Cancel FTW.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Hey ShortFuse - now that it seems most people agree on Trip and Trip-Cancel as the best alternative name choice for Ink Drop and Ink Drop-Cancel, maybe you should change the first post to simply be a choice between those 2 names.

At the very least, we have reduced it down to 2 names people are happy with, and it can be referred to as both until one sticks, like the Da Dash/Pivot example mentioned before or "sex kick" vs "NAir" where both are in use but one is more acceptable to some people that have issue with the first name.

If people really want to keep calling it Ink Drop and Ink Drop-Cancel, obviously that's there choice. But since many find it quite distasteful, at least it seems most people have agreed on a more normal name for it - Trip and Trip-Cancel. Regulars will figure out that they both mean the same thing, and the community as a whole outside of Smashboards will likely pick both names up and eventually filter it down to one of them.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
I quite like Ink Drop... maybe just call it Ink Drop Cancel. Less misleading. Dashdrop is cool. Stumble is cool.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
No one else had noticed it before me and no one besides me seemed to think it was an important discovery that could lead to advanced techniques.
Well. Some people were VERY interesting in it. Just look at your thread. I for one was when I saw it and I tried to make an educated guess as to what it was...

The whole "idly standing" and doing this trip cancel/dash pivot intrigues me.

And I agree, Ink doesnt even know "everything" about it. He doesnt know how to do it while not running, and he doesnt know what its called by devs.

I say no one name it just yet. Its obviously a programmed move. I think peoples egos "Inks and to some extent even yours" are getting in the way here. ITS A DEMO! This is NOT the full game so:

1. There could be an update on the DOJO that explains how to do it and what it is.

2. There could be a "how to play" video in the final game like in Melee where this is explained.

3. Its a demo so trying to find techs and name them is ********.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The main reason I don't like the name ink drop is because it doesn't represent the technique to me. When I first heard of wobbling,read the desrcription and saw it performed it seemed to fit. When I saw "ink dropping" and heard the name they just don't go together.

The word "trip" accurately describes the action and it does seem rather silly to name a tech after a player when it's a obvious game design.

inkslinger, saying "I did it first" seems incredibly juvenile when Zauron was the one who noticed it way before you.

If the majority of people call it the ink drop I don't have problem with that. There's just this mental roadblock for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom