• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Drop Name Change Consideration Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Well. Some people were VERY interesting in it. Just look at your thread. I for one was when I saw it and I tried to make an educated guess as to what it was...

The whole "idly standing" and doing this trip cancel/dash pivot intrigues me.

And I agree, Ink doesnt even know "everything" about it. He doesnt know how to do it while not running, and he doesnt know what its called by devs.

I say no one name it just yet. Its obviously a programmed move. I think peoples egos "Inks and to some extent even yours" are getting in the way here. ITS A DEMO! This is NOT the full game so:

1. There could be an update on the DOJO that explains how to do it and what it is.

2. There could be a "how to play" video in the final game like in Melee where this is explained.

3. Its a demo so trying to find techs and name them is ********.
You're right, sorry, there was some like you that showed interest in it like me. But our interest was drowned by Wavedashing discoveries.

Also, I feel bad about the ego thing. I had no intention of trying to lay claim to the move or insist it be called something in particular or anything. I just really thought it was an interesting move and wanted the E for All people to try to figure out more about it.

But I really disliked the name Gimpy and Inkslinger came up with, and I only started bringing up the fact that I saw it a week earlier to make the point that naming it after the discoverer didn't make any sense, and we should name it something that sounds similar to what the move actually does. I agree with you, if I wasn't seeing the name "Ink Drop" showing up everywhere already I would be perfectly happy waiting to see if the Dojo gives it a name, but it seemed that the only way to stop it being permenantly named "Ink Drop" was to present a case for a different name. I used the argument that Inkslinger "discovering" it was debatable to discount that as a reason for the name.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Ink drop it stays!!!!!!

Zauron wasn't the first to discover ink drop as he just merely observed it but doesn't even know how to do it. I was the first one to actually implement it into battle and that's what counts.

edit i think the dropping itself should be called the ink drop, but cancelling it should be called something in regards to pivoting.

I'll also let you guys know that ink dropping is easy for me, but i'm having a hard time cancelling it again and the long pivot dash cancel that i did might not even be an ink drop cancel.
See?! I told you it was about EPeen inflation!!! Where the hell are we? 16th century America? You saw something that was obviously there! You get to name it! And even the explorers in the 16th century didn't name most of the stuff after themselves!

Bottom line, even if Smash moves aren't supposed to make sense, Ink Drop is just a stupid name.

TopiSwarm

Smash Rookie
Just change it to something, anything. Ink Drop sounds horrible, and has nothing to do with what it is. If a player wants to get something named after him, he needs to do something revolutionary. Not just happen to live in California (or be able to travel), and be the first to stumble across something obvious. I don't want to spend the next however many number of years listening to people discuss a lame ego trip. >_>

Rose Monkey

Smash Apprentice
dude, use the noggin.

Trip canceling = ink drop cancelling, not ink drop. The ink drop is just the trip, not the cancel. ink drop = trip. and if you didnt notice, the "trip" ones are shorter.

and how does trip = ink? are we really gonna say ink instead of ink drop??

"yeah, then i inked him, and he inked me back."

sounds dirty.
Noggin used.

Ink Canceling. :3

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
It sounds stupid. Anyways, I don't really care what it's called, but Ink Drop sounds really ******** considering what it actually is. You guys can call it whatever you want but I wont be using that term. If you don't like it, just don't ever use the term so that it never catches on, and that will be that.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
So if you dont like a word you replace it with whatever you want?... ok try having a conversation with someone and replacing the world "The" with something else and then come back and tell us how that went.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Well I don't normally converse with all of Internet-Dorktopia when I'm playing Smash with just my friends. We refer to alot of things in Melee as other words that just we amongst ourselves know. Like I said, YOU guys can call it whatever you want since I don't really care. If you really want my opinion, I would suggest that naming it something that gives more of a clue to what it actually is or does, (rather than call it after some random person's 1337 INTERNETS handle,) would be the more obvious, logical, and least confusing thing to do. Otherwise look forward to having 34908408414124 different usernames for every single new Brawl technique that's discovered. Your analogy was very nonsensical anyways, I barely decided to dignify it a response.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
I'll be calling it a stumble.

Cause the character, like, stumbles.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yes but all 70 thousand of us (Or most) refer to it by... well... what it is named, so people actually know what we are talking about.

And honestly I don't care what you and your friends call it I care about what the majority of the smash community call it.

And your calling Ken and Wobble just some random internet users? anyways it's likely that this already has an official name so all we are doing is giving it a temporary name.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
I say Trip/Trip Cancel. Ink Drop has nothing to do with the move, and Ink doesn't even seem like a person worth naming a technique after.

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet
Trip or Stumble please. A deliberately-implemented technique or game mechanic with its own unique animation deserves a concise, evocative name.

Zarckoh

Smash Apprentice
I don't like Ink dropping mainly because it doesn't really tells what it does. I like more trip and trip cancel plus it is more suitable, but anyway is just a temporary name, I think that Sakurai will give us the official name at the dojo.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
cause 'sex kick' tells us what it does. So does 'l cancel' and 'Waveshine'

Ink drop stays, don't try to become popular by changing the name. And so Zauron found a vid of it, so what? LOTS of people saw LOTS of things

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lol...as soon as I saw the move I came up with Trip and Trip-Cancel on my own...I think it's a more fitting name since it actually describes what happens and stuff.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I like the name like it is, easy to remember, I dont like cpmex names, not because its hard but because sometimes I mix them up, but yeah I like ink drop...

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet
Waveshine is a technique that combines a previously named move and technique into one word. Sex kick is a silly (albeit, amusing) alternative name for what is usually called Nair anyways. L-cancel, again, is a technique that's built into the game. Furthermore, depending how much you know, you can tell that it implies the use of the L button to cancel something (true), or if you know it stands for lag, you know it cancels lag, in this case. LASTLY, every other method of canceling lag has its own unique name that also makes sense (Jump-canceling, whatever other canceling I don't immediately recall).

The point is, Melee's techniques have clearly built on their naming scheme to make it easier to understand and remember the name of new techniques by using a standardized vocabulary to built. Anything with 'cancel' in its name implies that it's some technique that cancels lag or delay. Anything with 'wave' implies that the technique takes advantage of the use of the midair dodge to slide along the ground. Unless you want to deal with a horrible lexicon in which every variation of a move has a different poster's name in its term, the term "ink-drop" should be dispelled.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Its a technique designed by the developers
If this were all that mattered, then Isai Drop would just be called, "quick dropping," or something.

Zek

Smash Ace
If this were all that mattered, then Isai Drop would just be called, "quick dropping," or something.
Well, it should be. For all I care there can be a stickied post that lists the discovery credits for each move, but it's silly to complicate everything just to give them props.

It's one thing to name a unique combo or something after a player, but a basic ability in the game that would have been discovered by somebody the first day should just get a straightforward descriptive name.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
for Christ's sake, EVERYONE HERE KNOWS WHAT AN INK DROP IS!

Seriously, get over it
Ink deserves his glory

so now Ken combos should be called "Marth Fair fair fair dair" and crap? Or how about MFFFD? Has a nice ring

"YOU JUST GOT MFFFD!

Zarckoh

Smash Apprentice
cause 'sex kick' tells us what it does. So does 'l cancel' and 'Waveshine'
L-Cacel tells about how it's performed and cancelling is about reducing lag, Waveshine is just a combination between the words wavedash which takes advantage of the airdodge, and the shine(that is how many people name Fox's reflector) and tells a certain explanation of it.

Ink drop doesn't tells me much, the first time that I heard about it, it was really confusing. But when I heard about tripping it immediately reminded me about the technique showed at the Yoshi GIF that Zauron posted.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
oh for god's sake... I'm done here

and where is Dylan Tnga when you need him? Does anyone here NOT know what an Ink drop is? If not then don't be like, 'it's hard to remember what it stands for'

and if you try to act like you're better at smash than me come down to wa so you can get mfffd

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet
oh for god's sake... I'm done here

and where is Dylan Tnga when you need him? Does anyone here NOT know what an Ink drop is? If not then don't be like, 'it's hard to remember what it stands for'

and if you try to act like you're better at smash than me come down to wa so you can get mfffd
Skill level has nothing to do with a debate meant to establish a new technique's moniker that will ultimately have a wide-ranging influence on the naming of every subsequent name added to Brawl's new lexicon. Go ahead and screw it up now, but it's only the community that will suffer in the end.

"Yeah bro, I totally Ink-Dropped into a ph00t-tech, but he gimpy-dodged into his Zech maneuver and that was match."

Jesus, at least it was easy to learn Melee's vocabulary (as explained why in my previous post).

Mersh

Smash Apprentice
If anything, calling it something generic like "drop cancel" just makes it easier to get it mixed up with other techniques. Ink Drop is completely unique, everyone knows what it is, and it sounds awesome. Keep it.

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet
seeing as it's the ONLY technique so far that has a semi-odd name...

and the skill level thing was a jk

but it won't change, ever
Yes, but you forget that, as I said in my previous post (well, now two-posts-back), newer techniques tend to derive their names from the already-established terms. And if we've got a bunch of BS naming schemes for something as simple as tripping, it's only going to get worse in the future.

Say someone develops a new tech that builds on the use of tripping. Like, some fast way to grab, right? If tripping is named sensibly, you get something like...a Trip Grab. Makes sense intuitively, and you can tell that Tripping and Trip grabbing are related/based upon the same technique.

Now, with the abominable term "Ink Drop". This new technique, what do we call it? Certainly wont' want to call it the Ink grab, because now we've got this guy's name being used over and over, when he certainly doesn't deserve credit this time. We don't want the discoverer of the new grab to name it, because now you have "ink drop" and (for example's sake) the "Stryks Grab". You can't immediately tell that these two require similar skills, can you?

In any case, the point is, bestowing these intentional, OBVIOUS techniques with obscure, unintuitive names has far-reaching effects on the future of Brawl's lexicon and the ease of conversation in the future. These negative effects range from simply requiring more typing, to making it unnecessarily harder to join the online community. Or, even worse, a non-standard vocabulary which results in "regional dialects" forming, where there are multiple terms for each technique, and none of them are standard.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I agree with RocketDarkness completely, and there's really no reason for me to reiterate his points. They're all valid, they're all the same points I'd make.

It seems really trivial and immature that some of you are clinging so blindly to ink dropping. Do you like the idea of a simple action named after a person rather than a legitimately descriptive name, because you think it'd be cool to have a simple action named after you?

Really.. it's just not sensible to name something that is likely going to be the first action of many-action combo strings after a user who happened to discover something that was designed into the game. I don't see how you can make a case that using a melee-type technical name would make it at all confusing. Casual players are going to be fairly aware of this tripping action if they ever come search for advanced techs. They'll have noticed it in game play, there is no question about that. People will know, intuitively, what a "Trip" is. They're not gonna know what an ink drop is.

It's just pointless vanity to cling to that moniker so strongly. The few techniques that ARE named after a player are not simple one-action stepping stones to other moves. The Ken Combo, as mentioned, is a very effective combo attack that Ken uses very often, to very positive results. Wobbling, also mentioned, is a clever application of several moves and rules that already exist in the game to achieve a more unexpected result.

The trip is something every player who plays this game is going to do. The applications of the trip aren't going to be as evident to every player, but every player can and will do it accidentally. It's a single action. It's an action that may very well have an official name. It's not inventive. It's not creative. Ink did nothing overly industrious in finding the technique. I think it should be given a technical, descriptive name.

My vote is, as many others, for Trip/Trip-Cancel.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I'm already too used to it, as is pretty much everyone else.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but you forget that, as I said in my previous post (well, now two-posts-back), newer techniques tend to derive their names from the already-established terms. And if we've got a bunch of BS naming schemes for something as simple as tripping, it's only going to get worse in the future.

Say someone develops a new tech that builds on the use of tripping. Like, some fast way to grab, right? If tripping is named sensibly, you get something like...a Trip Grab. Makes sense intuitively, and you can tell that Tripping and Trip grabbing are related/based upon the same technique.

Now, with the abominable term "Ink Drop". This new technique, what do we call it? Certainly wont' want to call it the Ink grab, because now we've got this guy's name being used over and over, when he certainly doesn't deserve credit this time. We don't want the discoverer of the new grab to name it, because now you have "ink drop" and (for example's sake) the "Stryks Grab". You can't immediately tell that these two require similar skills, can you?

In any case, the point is, bestowing these intentional, OBVIOUS techniques with obscure, unintuitive names has far-reaching effects on the future of Brawl's lexicon and the ease of conversation in the future. These negative effects range from simply requiring more typing, to making it unnecessarily harder to join the online community. Or, even worse, a non-standard vocabulary which results in "regional dialects" forming, where there are multiple terms for each technique, and none of them are standard.
Exactly. This isn't a popularity contest, its about what's reasonable and best for the Brawl community over the next 6 years. This isn't a special technique, its a basic move, like air-dodging, teching, rolling, and so on. You don't name a basic move after a player, you name special techniques that took years to discover after them. And even then, only if its not something that couldn't be easily described with a simple word or two.

Actually, for that matter, I've seen far more people (and tournament rules) refer to Wobbling as "Ice Climbers Infinite Grab" than Wobbling, so even when it is named after a player the larger community (i.e. those that don't just hang out on Smashboards all the time) will gravitate toward a more descriptive term.

Anyway...

If this were Melee and Ink was the first to figure out in a demo that pressing L/R while in mid-air made you dodge, would we call it the "Ink Avoid"? Particularly if someone else had noticed the move in a trailer a week beforhand? No! This is no different and the Ink Drop as a name is just as silly.

We have a more organized community now, we should take steps here, early on, to avoid issues we have in the past and make sure the names of moves are as clear, consise, and "technical" as possible.

To you "Ink Drop" may sound cool and you may claim "everyone knows what it means already" but that's total bull. There are FAR more players that don't yet know what "Ink Drop" means than those that do, and there will be players for YEARS that are going to join the community not knowing what it means, and its going to SUCK having to explain what it is over and over again. Call it Trip, and any newbie will instantly recognize it since its a basic move they probably saw the first day they played the game. Just like we don't have to explain what "air-dodge" means, we wouldn't have to explain what "Trip" means like we would with "Ink Drop", which sounds like its a Blooper's down+B move or something.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'll let this slide but if we end up with a boat load of techniques named after SWFers we'll need another one of these threads.

EDIT: Albeit, I'd prefer it have some sort of self-explanation in the name, Trip, Trip-cancel, Dash-cancel, dash drop [dibs on this, I called first], dash dance cancel, and dash pivot cancel all explain at least a little bit what the move does.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I'm already too used to it, as is pretty much everyone else.
Don't speak for everyone else, there are thousands of potential Brawl players in the US alone, I seriously doubt more than 0.001% of them are "used to it". It was only first brought up 2 days ago, the vast majority of Smash fans have never even heard the word yet.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Even if this was merely a question of how used-to-it we are, and not of merit or lexicon implications, the fact that WE are used to it is irrelevant. The game isn't even out! There's going to be a tremendous amount of completely NEW players to brawl, as well as loads that have never even been within sight of a hyperlink to this site. Would you have any idea what wobbling was if you had visited this site for the first time? Would you have any idea what an ink drop was? You'd probably be able to figure out, just from hearing it, what an L-cancel involved or even implied. You'd know what a trip was.

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
How about Ink Slip.

It retains Ink's name into the move, and it also creates a mental image of someone toppling over. (They slipped on a puddle of ink. i dunno...)

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Fun Fact:

I was doing the "Ken Combo" looong before the first vid surfaced featuring Ken doing a Dair combo in Melee -- there's even a vid floating around somewhere to prove it -- I never asked for it to be called the "SynikaL Combo" (it simply stuck with Ken because of him being the more popular player). Naming techniques after players is just pretentious and silly. Furthermore, it simply obscures efficiency and confuses newcomers.

My 2cents.

Anyways, it's not even that big of a deal. I'm calling it Pivot Dash Cancel -- everyone else can call it whatever they want. Something will stick eventually.

-SynikaL

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Fun Fact:

I was doing the "Ken Combo" looong before the first vid surfaced featuring Ken doing a Dair combo in Melee -- there's even a vid floating around somewhere to prove it -- I never asked for it to be called the "SynikaL Combo" (it simply stuck with Ken because of him being the more popular player). Naming techniques after players is just pretentious and silly. Furthermore, it simply obscures efficiency and confuses newcomers.

My 2cents.

Anyways, it's not even that big of a deal. I'm calling it Pivot Dash Cancel -- everyone else can call it whatever they want. Something will stick eventually.

-SynikaL
yeah, you're not a pro who could do it in real matches against real other pros

and it won't change, just get over it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom