• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Drop Name Change Consideration Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
LOL please don't call it ink drop I mean sure "ink drop" is sort of intriguing I suppose but jesus I'm sure "trip cancel" is a lot better or even something else.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
I have an idea. Why don't we just PM Ink Drop and point him in the direction of this thread. Him and Z can chat about it. Ink seems like a reasonable guy.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
@Yoshi (cause I just realized that comment was directed at me)

Do you HONESTLY think I give a crap what people think of what I call things?

I call Samus' shot MEGUH BUSTUH! and Mewtwo's charge shot HADOUKEN!

I also call SHORT HOP PARTIAL JUMP...

and many other certain combos funny little one liners...

I couldn't give any more of a **** what people care about what I name certain things....

After all, freedom of speech baby. XD

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Every time I hear "ink dropping", I think of an incontinent squid. And that's just gross. If it winds up being something as commonly-referred to as wavedashing is now, reading these forums is going to start making me physically nauseous just because I'll never get that horrible image out of my head.

I agree with Zauron in that it should be named after what it actually is. It's not some bizzare, unreal phenomenon that contradicts the basic laws of physics like wavedashing (which one could use to justify its rather odd name). The character trips and falls over. A mundane, descriptive name would suit it much better. I mean, the act of falling (though perhaps not the canceling) is probably something every one of us would have seen within a couple of days of playing...everyone just likes the idea of giving it a wacky, exotic name now because we know so little of Brawl and any little tidbit of information excites people. In the long run, I just don't think it'll be a very suitable name.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Here is a question for all of you...

Wait nevermind, I will save it for another time...

Probably later...

but till then, it is now "Ninja Vault."

For me at least. XD

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
@Yoshi (cause I just realized that comment was directed at me)

Do you HONESTLY think I give a crap what people think of what I call things?

I call Samus' shot MEGUH BUSTUH! and Mewtwo's charge shot HADOUKEN!

I also call SHORT HOP PARTIAL JUMP...

and many other certain combos funny little one liners...

I couldn't give any more of a **** what people care about what I name certain things....

After all, freedom of speech baby. XD
I totally respect your way of smashing, and for that, I don't mind if this thing gets changed or not, since people will have their own lingo for certain things and I'll have my own~ It's still the same **** tech. :laugh:

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
As long as its not something like "Dash dance mistake pivot grab cancel" I'm cool with it but due to the slang that people from Bermuda use I might come up with some random nickname anyway :p

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Actually Ink is a pretty reasonable guy, its not him that was pushing for the name, far as I can tell it was Gimpy that insisted on continuing to call it that. Ink was one of the first to suggest an alternate name for it. His username is Inkslinger here.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I totally respect your way of smashing, and for that, I don't mind if this thing gets changed or not, since people will have their own lingo for certain things and I'll have my own~ It's still the same **** tech. :laugh:
Now you are getting it! :psycho:

Good deal. That's the point.

There will never be any law about what it is called and that you can't create your own term. Of course, there will be a well known term for the less creative to go by...

but I have no willingness to stick to one term. After all, I am spending 50 bucks. MY word is law in that retrospect. :chuckle:

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Here is a question for all of you...

Wait nevermind, I will save it for another time...

Probably later...

but till then, it is now "Ninja Vault."

For me at least. XD
I'm actually thinking Ninja Roll. Makes me think of rolling into stab

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
Now you are getting it! :psycho:

Good deal. That's the point.

There will never be any law about what it is called and that you can't create your own term. Of course, there will be a well known term for the less creative to go by...

but I have no willingness to stick to one term. After all, I am spending 50 bucks. MY word is law in that retrospect. :chuckle:
You're right. Your money is worth more than a whole community of disbelievers....

Ninja Vault sounds good too, but it reminds me of Sheik doing leap frog over Mario...

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I like "ninja vault," but since these guys aren't really fighting in an authentic martial art, I vote for stumbling because it's more practical.

I don't like the ink drop, because it has nothing to do with the move, except that it drops, but in "ink drop," drop is a noun. I don't see why we can't have it not be called "ink dropping," the people who are for it don't really sound as enthusiastic as the guys that aren't for it are against it.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
Ink Trip would work fine. Anything that has trip in it though would work, because that's what it is, a trip. You skid to fast and fall. I guess slip could work too and sounds pretty much the same.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Are you kidding? Ink Drop? Ink Drop is a freakin HORRIBLE name!!! Not only does it make ZERO sense, how arrogant are these ****s where if they "discover" a move they feel as if they have to name it after THEMSELVES?! Congratulations! You named a an advanced technique after yourself! Your E Peen is TOO big! Honestly, I was shocked when I heard Ink dropping. I mean, how the hell does Ink have anything to do than tumbling like that?

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
I've seen too many threads stray off because of this. So let's decide it here.

Zauron found it and made the GIF
Ink drop discovered the input and how to cancel it.

Suggested Names:
Ink Drop
Trip
Dash Pivot
Stumble

The name would have Cancel added to it for...the cancelling into something else.

Tumble has been used: "Tumble is already the term for falling through the air while you're able to tech you landing, or force your way out of it with an aerial or the back-and-forward motion on the control stick."

What it is:

Zauron's Opinion:

Ink's Opinion:
needed

Community Opinion:
  • "It's the first ever Brawl technique figured out by a player and Ink should be able to name it whatever he wants."
  • "Ink did figure out about cancelling with it, so it only seems fair that he gets to dub it what he wants."
  • "If it is named after anybody, it really should be named after Z. He did find it first, so it is unfair to name it after ink. My vote is for Stumble, and Stumble Cancel. It's much more descriptive, acronyms well, doesn't conflict with any other names, and doesn't step on anybody's toes."
  • "It's not some bizzare, unreal phenomenon that contradicts the basic laws of physics like wavedashing (which one could use to justify its rather odd name). The character trips and falls over. A mundane, descriptive name would suit it much better. I mean, the act of falling (though perhaps not the canceling) is probably something every one of us would have seen within a couple of days of playing...everyone just likes the idea of giving it a wacky, exotic name now because we know so little of Brawl and any little tidbit of information excites people. In the long run, I just don't think it'll be a very suitable name."
  • "I agree Ink Drop is awesome name. But only con is that there will be over 9000 threads asking what's ink drop? every single day."
Is this how Smash "Pros" carry out their day?
People have too much time on their hands.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
Crolling~ CROW-ling

Flows nicely and is a good combination of crawl and rolling. It makes sense too..

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I like how people get offended that a technique might be named after the person who discovered it.

You say his e-peen is too big. You seem to have the exact opposite problem.

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
I like tripping or tripcancel, or even Dash Drop, stumble. I just think it would be better if the move kinda said what it did. Trolling is kinda funny, but Id say something involving a trip. Round Trip, Ink Trip, FacePlant etc

Zek

Smash Ace
Frankly I couldn't care less who discovered it... It's not like it involved a lot of work or ingenuity, he was just among the first people to play Brawl and try experimenting with techniques. I would rather it be named something descriptive. "Ink drop" is completely meaningless. I'm certainly not going to be calling it that. Not even the "drop" part makes sense since falling down isn't the emphasis of the technique.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
The Ink Drop flows very well and sounds nice when you are talking all techy. I love using it already. "inkdrop a u-tilt", "inkdropping grabs". Too cool. I don't want a name change because I like the sound of it too much.

However if it need a new name I like "Slip Shift". Trip cancel is cool too I guess.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I like Trip, but Ink Dropping sounds ok I guess. :)

But it should be up to Zauron to name it, seeing as though he found it.

Or maybe they could both name it?

But seeing as though it has actual animation, It's probably a real technique. So we'll most likey get an update on it sooner or later. :)

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
It definitely looks like a trip. At first I thought perhaps only Yoshi's would look like that, but we found another example with Mario. I made a .gif of that one too. Check it out:

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Question about that gif...

Don't you have to sort of dash in one direction and then dash back to do it? He seems to do it from a stationary position. How does that work?

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Ink drop.....

Ink... Sink.. Pink..

Drop.. mop... Pop..

That settles it. The move will be known as the pink pop.

Hop to it, you pink poppers.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
Any name that emotes what the move actually does is good.

"Trip" is a solid name. It's in the dictionary too OMG...

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Question about that gif...

Don't you have to sort of dash in one direction and then dash back to do it? He seems to do it from a stationary position. How does that work?
Interesting isn't it? This is why I don't think it should necessarily be called "Dash"-anything. Both this and the other case I discovered have the character doing it directly out of an idle.

Also, when Mario does it he Trips to the left even though he is facing right. However, when Yoshi does it he Trips right while facing right. This means you can do it forwards or backwards, instantly, right out of idle. It appears to have invincibility frames. You can roll out of it in either direction.

I wonder if you can do other things out of it, like jump or attack...? It may have more uses than just Trip-Cancelling!

You see why I was so interested in it when I first stumbled across it? It could open up much more than what Ink and Gimpy already reported about it, once we fully understand it. It could be Sakurai's purposeful replacement of Wavedashing in some fashion!

rockman

Smash Rookie
INK DROP? WTF!?! who the hell is ink and why does he think that he can slap his name on such a basic movement that would of been freakin obviously to anyone after a few hours of play. I mean, what an obscure claim to fame. The elitist epeen stroking that goes on these forums is pathetic/hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom