• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Drop Name Change Consideration Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ink Drop...

The person who discovered it should be the one that gets to name it

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
The invincibility frames seem to be really short though (in the Mario gif anyways, can't remember the Yoshi).

I can't imagine how it'd be performed. What kind of button combination would you have to do? It makes sense that it'd involved hitting either left or right, since that's how Ink did it, but if that was the case, then you could accidentally trip instead of running. Seems weird. Hopefully they'll have some more news on it after they get back from E for All.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
"Ink drop" wil always remind me of finding nemo. "awww, you guys made me ink!"

it can't be dash pivot because, as zauron states, you don't have to dash. i don't think it can be ink drop because the move isn't fully understood in terms of controller input. zauron discovered the move. ink found out how to do it but not really as effectively as the computer. we can't name it ink's because his method is incomplete.

what will happen when somebody else finds out how to do it without dashing (more useful)? ink will still be credited even though what ink discovered (the input not the move) would be obsolete.

err

Smash Journeyman
can you PDC (or DPC or SC or IDC) into a dash in the same direction in which you were oringinally travelling?

it sounds like you could. If you could cancel the stumble into ANY MOVE, then you could cancel into a dash in the original direction (SWEEET!)

to quote R.McDonald: im lovin it

Mama

Smash Ace
Perfect solution : Make a thread (stickied and locked) that gives props/homage/credit to any person or persons that discover a technique? That way there wouldn't be need to name anything after any one player/poster and we wouldn't have to feel obligated to let a person name it themselves (what if they chose booty fruit or something?)

As for a name...I like Trip/Trip-canceling. It fits. Like L-canceling, jump canceling and the like.

Space_Pirate_Fox_McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Ink Drop is a cool name, but very misleading. When I first heard it, I thought it was referring to dropping from the air, but it appears to be something performed on the ground, which makes the "drop" part a bit confusing (I understand the character drops to the ground, but the term "drop" still sounds more like an arial affect). Personally, I like Trip or Trip Cancel, as that seems more atune to what is going on in the animation.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Inks Drop is the best name cmon. It should just be Inks cause he found it. Plus, he discovered the mechanics behind it . . . .:laugh:. . . . nah. Even though I was there when Inks found out the trick to this, I still think Zauron should get major credit for seeing it first.

How' bout Zaurinks drop?

pmak187

Smash Cadet
Keep it Ink Drop.

There is no need to give it a more "accurate" name because names for techniquies develop naturally.

The community has already dubbed it the ink drop and there is no need to "petition" to change it, because after all, it's just a name.

And it's not even a bad name. It's simple and two syllables; it sounds pretty good and is memorable.

No need to change the name. I dont even think its a matter of giving someone "credit" for "inventing" it.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
It's only been around for one day. And although first heard names leave much more of an impression on subsequent names, there's still time to change it, if we wanted to.

It doesn't matter to me, because I saw the move first, and then heard the name "Ink Drop," so I'm fine with it, but it does sound like it could be misleading.
It shouldn't be named after Ink, in the sense that that's the law, but I think he should name it, and if he decides on Ink Drop thats fine, but I don't think it should just be given his name.

BTW, I like Trip (Trip-Cancel by association)

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Well I called wavedashing ground spazzing, so I guess I'll call this..

A DOUBLE BACKWOOSHA 360 McSPINNA.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Trying to name a feature in the game (not even a **** glitch) that will probably get a REAL name from Sakurai = douche.

Get out of here with that.

Mama

Smash Ace
Trying to name a feature in the game (not even a **** glitch) that will probably get a REAL name from Sakurai = douche.

Get out of here with that.
? Did Sakurai name L-canceling? Dash Dancing? Short Hopping? etc...The community determines names for itself. Back when I was a young scrub (I think 12 when Melee came out) we called dodging "Matrix" because the way you spot dodge. And air dodging air matrix. Its the same in principal. This is the competitive community (give or take a few) and as a community we have every right name things seeing as how we'll be the ones to use them. You don't have to.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
? Did Sakurai name L-canceling? Dash Dancing? Short Hopping? etc...The community determines names for itself. Back when I was a young scrub (I think 12 when Melee came out) we called dodging "Matrix" because the way you spot dodge. And air dodging air matrix. Its the same in principal. This is the competitive community (give or take a few) and as a community we have every right name things seeing as how we'll be the ones to use them. You don't have to.
I don't think so, Tim.

The difference between those (some common too other fighting games, like "short hopping"), and "Ink Drop", is that it's not only inaccuate, but it's a poor attempt to slip your name, into a feature that will get recognized. Period.

"omg, I just pressed L, and I did a dodge move, SILPHEED WAVE, yall!"

"but I can do it too, and that's a freaking simple technique."

"doesnt matter, I did it first in the demo! NAME IT AFTER ME!"

Delusional, much?

Sirami

Smash Cadet
I don't think so, Tim.

The difference between those (some common too other fighting games, like "short hopping"), and "Ink Drop", is that it's not only inaccuate, but it's a poor attempt to slip your name, into a feature that will get recognized. Period.

"omg, I just evaded in the air, SILPHEED WAVE, yall!"

"but I can do it too."

"doesnt matter, I did it first in the demo!"

Delusional, much?
While I don't think that's the reason people started calling it "Ink Drop", I think that "Trip Cancel" is a way more suitable name.

It's just makes more sense. You trip, and you can cancel it.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Yea, no one will call tripping, and rolling, the "ink drop". Anyone who think it's even feasible, is just ****ed silly.

Haha, my stomach hurts from all this ****ed laughter.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
While I do think that there are names more suitable then ink drop (trip canceling being my favorite) I can't agree with the people being *** wipes about it being named ink drop. It's not like Ink is some egotistical *******, It just so happened that he got to play early, did a move that looked like it could be useful, and some people decided to name it after him on the spot. It has nothing to do with his E-peen or whatever. If you don't like it fine, I don't ether but, that doesn't mean that the person that shares the same name as the tech is delusional for naming it that/ has to big of a ego.

Also, just because it is a technique with it's own animation and is fairly simple doesn't mean Sakurai already has a name for it. What it is to be called will most likely be a fan given name and not something official.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Just for the clarification, Zauron was the first to discover tripping but Inkslinger discovered the actual inkdrop, that is, canceling the tripping with a move (that's how I think it is, sorry if I'm wrong)

Also in the SSE kirby and mario video, near the end of the fight mario stops suddenly from his dash and f-smashes immediately. What do you think that is :confused:

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of being repetitive, I think "Trip Canceling" is a much better name then the current one. It is actually descriptive of the move itself, doesn't sound confusing (Seriously, Ink in the name makes it sound like it's involved somehow), and still has that Short 'n' Sweet sound that is easy to pronounce and remember.

And while I don't want to get into this silly argument about Internet E-go's, I do think that seeing as it's a basic move one can easily discover, it is a bit unfair to name it after a Smasher, especially seeing as he himself doesn't want it named after him (I think, what I gleaned from reading this thread).

Mama

Smash Ace
I don't think so, Tim.

"omg, I just pressed L, and I did a dodge move, SILPHEED WAVE, yall!"

"but I can do it too, and that's a freaking simple technique."

"doesnt matter, I did it first in the demo! NAME IT AFTER ME!"

Delusional, much?
Lol. I never said go with Ink Drop. I posted earlier, I want Trip Cancel. That guy was basically asking why were we trying to name something in the first place. I gave him my answer.

EDIT : Oh wait that was you lmao. Well thats what I got from what you said.

:034:

Smash Hero
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but why not the Ink Cancel? It's a cancel and found by Ink.

Otherwise, there's the Ink Drop Cancel or the Dash Drop Cancel.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wtf is this even a topic for.

its called ink dropping, thats all, the end.

edit: ink dropping is actually when you trip, thats not the good part, the good part is what you do when you cancel ink drops, so i suppose thats ink drop canceling

RazeveX

Smash Ace
gimpy, dont you think we should have a shorter name? something like "ink drop cancel" is 4 syllables and in these days of mobile phones and telegraph machines we just dont have that time. The main problem is that it abbreviates to IDC, which is I Dont Care.

Thats why many people posting in this thread prefer "TRIP CANCELLING". You can still say Trip to refer to the falling down part, and I don't think TC is allocated to anything else, as Zauron said.

Its very difficult to have a say in these things unless you're a mod, but i urge everyone in the Brawl community to choose something short and unique, like trip cancel.

TRIP CANCELLING FTW

Rose Monkey

Smash Apprentice
gimpy, dont you think we should have a shorter name? something like "ink drop cancel" is 4 syllables and in these days of mobile phones and telegraph machines we just dont have that time. The main problem is that it abbreviates to IDC, which is I Dont Care.

Thats why many people posting in this thread prefer "TRIP CANCELLING". You can still say Trip to refer to the falling down part, and I don't think TC is allocated to anything else, as Zauron said.

Its very difficult to have a say in these things unless you're a mod, but i urge everyone in the Brawl community to choose something short and unique, like trip cancel.

TRIP CANCELLING FTW
lolwat

Trip canceling is two syllables more than ink drop.

Also, trip can = ink.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it will be on the Dojo soon, the tripping part. Whatever he calls it, we'll just put "cancel" after it.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Trip Cancel, but I also agree that this "big new discovery" is something intentional and could be mentioned in the updates soon. It was featured in the Subspace video, not just in the demo videos or not just mentioned by E for All attendees. Let's not jump the gun and call it the next wavedash....

Also it's better to name a technique after what it looks like, not who accidentally "discovered" it.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
wtf is this even a topic for.

its called ink dropping, thats all, the end.

edit: ink dropping is actually when you trip, thats not the good part, the good part is what you do when you cancel ink drops, so i suppose thats ink drop canceling
:laugh:

You keep believing that.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I'd say keep it Ink Drop, since we are forced to change names anyway when the official update comes. Better to keep it like this and change the name afterwards than to change names TWICE if needed.

Not my suggestion, but I agree with it wholeheartly.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Trip Cancel. Having a nondescriptive name for what is a seemingly easily done (and apparently major) attack name isn't a good idea.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I Know, Why Don't We Call It The Knee! We Would Need To Change The Name Again When The Official Update Of That Trip Thing Comes Out, But Hey, Does It Really Matter? Does It? Does It? Does It? Does It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom