• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
Hey look Yuna, you've continued your streak of being absolutely ********! You're over 6000 now, 3000 more and people will be shouting that lame meme at your stupidity!

Did you actually even bother to read the reasons for my argument? You somehow managed to criticize things that weren't even arguments. Oh, and thanks for generalizing what I said as a misguided opinion. Look, if you're really too stupid to actually counter what I'm saying, then just don't post. Lord know's we don't need more of your posts.

I'll humor you in telling you why you're wrong this time, but, in the future, here's what an argument consists of, since apparently they don't teach logic (or, actually, anything that constitutes intelligence) in Stockholm:

CLAIM: What you're saying
WARRANT: Why what you're saying is true
IMPACT: Why it matters

Notice that my argument has these things.

Here is the structure of your argument(s):
CLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIMCLAIM

Anyway, here's why you're a ****ing moron. I'm only going to answer the ones that are actually responding to something that matters, because you decided to PMS about random **** that wasn't even part of my argument, for instance, my very first sentence.

"Only, we banned all stages with a permanent wall partially because of this!"
This still is just a band-aid patch that only allows people to ignore the problem while the real problem goes unattended. Why the hell would you ban stages when you can ban the infinite? There are infinites that exist without a wall. There are stages with walls that aren't permanent that still allow 0-death combos. BANNING STAGES WITH WALLS DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM. IT AVOIDS IT. Maybe it's a step in the right direction, but banning a perfectly good stage because it allows for infinites is illogical. Stop the infinites, open up more stages.

"How much skill an infinite takes is inconsequential. If an infinite is possible, then it has to be banned if it's broken, even if it's hard to do. How often do you see Chu Dat screw up Wobbling on the few occasions he actually does it?"
It is consequential, because if you read what I said, the reason some infinites were allowed is because they were impossible to pull off without screwing up every once and a while (even then, they shouldn't be allowed). I wasn't saying allow hard infinites. I was giving a reason for why they were allowed. THEN I said the ease of Brawl's infinites exacerbates the issue. You're feeding into my argument.

"Just don't get grabbed. No computer is ever in control of the opponent, even if he's getting infinited. Yes, he cannot escape if you do it properly, but boo hoo him.

You know what, a lot of things are really broken and unfair and guaranteed or pretty much guaranteed if done right. Well boohoo. Where does it end? Do we ban Falco's chaingrab that takes certain characters from 0-40%? Heck, that's 40 friggin' percent! Do we ban certain attacks because they kill certain other characters way too early?"
I'm sorry, was this an argument against me? Because I certainly don't see it. I don't know who your friends are, Yuna, but the last time I checked "Well, boohoo" isn't a proper answer to a reasoned argument. Also, read what I said below about don't get grabbed. You're an idiot. I've responded to your arguments already in my OP, so I'm not going to do it here.

"The game is badly designed. Some characters have unfair advantages. Some characters has suckfest matchups. Deal with it." and "It's the DK's choice to go DK against a character he knows he's at a huge disadvantage against, just as it's Ike's choice to go up against Pit on Final Destination. We do not ban things because they create unfair matchups. We ban them if they break the game ("Everyone plays as DDD or lose!")."
No, no. There's a difference between impossibility and disadvantage. The second DK gets grabbed, he loses his stock. That's not a disadvantage. That's an impossibility. If DK had a really tough time against DDD without the infinite, HE AT LEAST GETS TO INFLUENCE WHETHER HE WINS OR LOSES. Infinites don't allow him to do that, and you have not once responded to my argument saying that.

"We're not here to have fun. We're here to win. Competitive gaming is about winning, be it with or without honor. If you do not wish to use "unfair" tactics, be my guest. But don't whine about it when someone beats you using said unfair tactics."
No, read what I ****ing said before you post your mundane garbage. COMPETITIVE = YOU PLAYING AGAINST SOMEONE ELSE. COMPETITIVE =/= YOU FACING A COMPUTER. INFINITES =/= YOU PLAYING AGAINST SOMEONE ELSE. INFINITES = YOU FACING A COMPUTER. I have never had someone use an infinite against me (I've been CGd, but whatever), so I'm not whining. I'm just saying there's no justification for allowing them, and your stupidity is reifing that. You need to have two people influencing each other's gameplay as a prerequisite to any sort of multiplayer game, and infinites break that.

"No one with half a brain is saying this."
Really? Because within 5 minutes of me posting, someone made that argument. And please stop patronizing people, Yuna, you're not intelligent at all. I don't care that you can capitalize properly and write decent sentences, you're a troll. And a dumb one at that.

""Competitivity"? DDD has no infinite. It's always a chaingrab. It's just that on some characters, he doesn't need to move forward much if at all to regrab. We'd be limiting how much he's allowed to chaingrab 5 characters, punishing him because his chaingrab is just too darn good against those 5."
DDD has no infinite = :laugh: . Do you even know the definition of an infinite? A chaingrab can be an infinite, not vice versa, *******.

"No one's saying this either. Where the hell are you getting these crappy arguments from?"
I guess you've never gone to the IC forums after someone came back from a tournament banning grab infinites...

"No they don't. Competitive gaming is about winning at all costs. Infiniting someone (not that many such true infinites exist, most are chaingrabs or chain grab-releases). "
Listen, you're an idiot. Infinites = you can continually lock someone down and damage them regardless of situation (unless, of course, someone applies a condition, IE: wall infinite). THE FACT THAT A GRAB IS PART OF AN INFINITE DOESN'T MEAN ITS NOT AN INFINITE. They're inescapable and infinitely repeatable, that's all that matters.

The following quotes:
You mean like in one of the 29 other threads on this topic? Well, yeah.
Misguided opinion.
It's one of the reasons.
Or not.

are basically you getting pissy at me for no reason. Seriously, grow up and argue on legitimate terms. You attacked me without even reading the whole thing. I write down 5 reasons, and you criticize my first by saying "It's only ONE of the reasons..." Are you brain-dead? I'm not going to flatter you with another response unless you want to engage me at a level above a 6th-grade-playground-argument.
You know, the more I read your posts, the less I care. Your argument lost validity a while ago, and I'm starting to think you're a troll?

Ya know, it's your opinion however 80% or more of the competitive players I know and from what I've seen in this post alone do not agree with you. Obviously you posted this argument because you wanted to change something, but that won't happen without the majority favor and most of us do not see things your way.

mynaymeisadam

Smash Rookie
You know, the more I read your posts, the less I care. Your argument lost validity a while ago, and I'm starting to think you're a troll?

Ya know, it's your opinion however 80% or more of the competitive players I know and from what I've seen in this post alone do not agree with you. Obviously you posted this argument because you wanted to change something, but that won't happen without the majority favor and most of us do not see things your way.
Before I say anything I will say that I agree with allowing infinites. However, everyone is just completely barraging Patsie with stuff that doesn't make any sense. Why would you, naevorc, even post this? This doesn't contribute to anything, at all. His argument has loads of validity, although I do disagree with him. He is posting responses like a madman, trying to reason, but you guys won't give him credit for a single thing.

Guys, Smashboards is all about different opinions, especially in a topic such as this. If you want to be able to argue and see interesting and controversial posts, you can't just completely rip the poster to shreds through this illogical nonsense, which relies on a person's popularity and another's feelings about that person rather than a well thought out argument.

Grow up people.

P.S.- Patsie, calm down.

RDK

Smash Hero
"Only, we banned all stages with a permanent wall partially because of this!"
This still is just a band-aid patch that only allows people to ignore the problem while the real problem goes unattended. Why the hell would you ban stages when you can ban the infinite? There are infinites that exist without a wall. There are stages with walls that aren't permanent that still allow 0-death combos. BANNING STAGES WITH WALLS DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM. IT AVOIDS IT. Maybe it's a step in the right direction, but banning a perfectly good stage because it allows for infinites is illogical. Stop the infinites, open up more stages.
WTF? What infinites exist without a wall? You mean chaingrabs? D3 and Falco's chaingrabs can only be done at certain percents (and sometimes only certain characters) before having do finish it off with a f-tilt or a d-air spike.

This isn't MvC2 where you can do limitless combos. The only true unbreakable combos that exist are jabs against a wall with Fox, Kirby, etc., and you can still DI out of those after a while.

Niko_K

Smash Master
WTF? What infinites exist without a wall? You mean chaingrabs? D3 and Falco's chaingrabs can only be done at certain percents (and sometimes only certain characters) before having do finish it off with a f-tilt or a d-air spike.

This isn't MvC2 where you can do limitless combos. The only true unbreakable combos that exist are jabs against a wall with Fox, Kirby, etc., and you can still DI out of those after a while.
You do know that IC Alternate Grabs are infinite and can be done without a wall right?

mynaymeisadam

Smash Rookie
Not really, everything he said was pretty much refuted before he said it.
I have to respectfully disagree, mookie.

1. Look at naevorc's quote. He intelligently, although angrily, responds to many of the arguments presented against him. Although I disagree with him, I can find that I agree with some of his minor points, surely you can see something you can agree with as well.

2. Any opinion has some amount of validity, even the super crazy opinions. For example, some people think that math is useless, which is crazy. However, that person is probably frustrated with with their inability to pass AP Calculus BC or something. Then, I can see why that person doesn't like math and thinks it is useless. You just have to see things from their point of view, and figure out why they believe what they believe. And Patsie's argument is not that crazy, so I am sure you can find something valid in his posts.

Also, thanks for not calling me a troll for disagreeing with you, :laugh:.

Grunt

Smash Master
This trivial issue is getting nowhere.
ROFL page 6.

I think someone needs to reiterate this until it gets through the skulls of anti-infinite and anti-chain grab people.

IT WON'T BE BANNED UNTIL IT AFFECTS TOURNEY RESULTS

Doesn't matter how broken you think it is, because:

IT ISN'T BROKEN UNTIL IT AFFECTS TOURNEY RESULTS

RDK

Smash Hero

2. Any opinion has some amount of validity, even the super crazy opinions. For example, some people think that math is useless, which is crazy. However, that person is probably frustrated with with their inability to pass AP Calculus BC or something. Then, I can see why that person doesn't like math and thinks it is useless. You just have to see things from their point of view, and figure out why they believe what they believe. And Patsie's argument is not that crazy, so I am sure you can find something valid in his posts.

Also, thanks for not calling me a troll for disagreeing with you, :laugh:.
Seeing the argument from their side of view does not mean math is any more pointless than it really is.

No, not every opinion has an amount of validity. In fact, NO opinions have any amount of validity in a debate. There's not place for preferences among an argument about facts.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

1. Look at naevorc's quote. He intelligently, although angrily, responds to many of the arguments presented against him. Although I disagree with him, I can find that I agree with some of his minor points, surely you can see something you can agree with as well.
Only he's misinterpreting a lot of the arguments presented against him and replying with some only loosely connected arguments, plus, the vast majority of his arguments were later curbstomped repeatedly, yet he kept reiterating them as if they'd be more valid a second, third, fourth or fifth time, all the while flaming anyone who dared refute his points and "misinterpreting" people's arguments over and over and over even when they go into intricately detailed explanations on what they really mean to prevent him from "misinterpreting" them.

An opinion =/= A valid argument/point

An opinion is not per se the same thing as an argument and a point. Also, not all opinions are valid. Just because a person thinks they're right does not mean their opinion is valid. Also, this is a debate. It's about actual arguments, facts and evidence and not opinions.

And while Patsie claims I only bring opinions to the table while he brings only irrefutable facts, he's kinda the pot, kettle and bag of coal while I'm a pristine porcelain teapot in comparison.

Grunt

Smash Master
And while Patsie claims I only bring opinions to the table while he brings only irrefutable facts, he's kinda the pot, kettle and bag of coal while I'm a pristine porcelain teapot in comparison.
almost sig worthy...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I wish I could warn people for just being outright stupid.

This thread is really simple:

Statement: Infinites are broken!
Retort: Prove it!
Statement: I don't need to, they are called INFINITES!!!
Retort: Yet, why are metaknight and snake dominating tournaments?
Retort: They are still INFINITES!!!

In other words, infinites aren't broken, you can prevent them, I use Diddy Kong, I keep a banana behind me on levels like Corneria or Shadow Moses Island, and you know what? I can't be infinited by D3 because of that. Even if you can't fully stop yourself from being infinited during each stock, you can at least damage the opponent enough to keep up with him, keeping the game even. It really doesn't suck as much as most whiners claim, and every argument I hear use to be made about things like Peach's downsmash, Sheiks CG, wavedashing, Link's Up-B out of shield, the list goes on, when infinites gets banned, we might as well ban everything but the use of the neutral A attack, but even that would be unfair.

Temjin

Smash Rookie
Antidisestablishmentarianism!!

I dont believe Ness' Yoyo gitch was intended in melee.. but you can do it.
I dont believe Ear Biting in boxing is intended aswell.. but you can do it.

If infinites were "intended" then heck, everyone would be able to use an infinite. Else the brawl roster would only need to consist of "ice climbers" and a random box to pick ice climbers. No one would choose anyone else. And if infinites are intended can someone please direct me to the page in the instruction manual where it tells you how to infinite? Well i know the instruction manual probably wouldnt have something complex like that. What about the official brawl guide.. can anyone point me to the correct page in that?

Mynaymeisadam, even though you don't agree with me i'd like to thank you for being one of the only ones here with a brain and intelligence. I'm voicing my views with analogies so people will understand what the impact of infinites are but it seems everyone here who disagrees thinks im trying to insult them.

If in the end it becomes decided that infinites are totally legal in a tournament then hey. When i go to a tournament, why not. We'll turn it into an infinite fest. I look forward to playing against many different opponents but when it comes down to winning tournaments.. nothing wrong with beating up on 40 ice climber players. lets do it

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
If infinites were "intended" then heck, everyone would be able to use an infinite.
Infinites weren't intended, and judging from Sakurai's mentality, neither was a competitive scene for his games. Nobody who is competitive should care about what is or isn't intended by the games creator. The only thing that matters is if it is or isn't broken. Infinites have yet to be proven broken, so they are viable for tournament play.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Since you're so kind as to go off on different tangents and outright ignore my posts, I'm not even going to bother writing anything new for you. You get quotes from the past from now on. gg

orly? So someone in your region picked Ice Climbers and infinite'd his way to victory in a tournament? Or how about you? It's so easy, why don't you go and prove why this should be banned, win some $200-$300 for first place in the process?

A local IC's player here who abused the infinites placed 3rd. And he went Snake most of the time. I played against him and won against his ICs, then lost two rounds to his Snake. How's that for broken, when these amazing infinites don't have as much success as ANOTHER CHARACTER?

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
If infinites were "intended" then heck, everyone would be able to use an infinite. Else the brawl roster would only need to consist of "ice climbers" and a random box to pick ice climbers. No one would choose anyone else. And if infinites are intended can someone please direct me to the page in the instruction manual where it tells you how to infinite? Well i know the instruction manual probably wouldnt have something complex like that. What about the official brawl guide.. can anyone point me to the correct page in that?

Mynaymeisadam, even though you don't agree with me i'd like to thank you for being one of the only ones here with a brain and intelligence. I'm voicing my views with analogies so people will understand what the impact of infinites are but it seems everyone here who disagrees thinks im trying to insult them.

If in the end it becomes decided that infinites are totally legal in a tournament then hey. When i go to a tournament, why not. We'll turn it into an infinite fest. I look forward to playing against many different opponents but when it comes down to winning tournaments.. nothing wrong with beating up on 40 ice climber players. lets do it
In response to bolded statement #1: Who cares what Sakurai and his team intended? They didn't intend for us to wavedash in melee, but we did it anyway.

In response to bolded statement #2: Your analogies are completely bogus. You compare a sapling to a fully grown redwood in order to try to prove a point. What you are doing is not "creating an analogy" it's "setting up a straw man."

If you don't know what a straw man is, it's basically when instead of presenting evidence to support your point, you set up a fallacious and exaggerated version of your opponent's argument and call it wrong instead of actually addressing what your opponent actually said.

Hitting your opponent with a golfclub in golf is more like hitting your opponent with you controller in brawl, not at all like using an infinite.

Grow up and learn to argue.

In response to mynameisadam (adam lol) I wasn't telling him to leave smashboards, just to leave this thread. He isn't contributing anything here, maybe in some other thread where he can speak to others in a calm and sensible manner instead of devolving into a second string member of a third grade debate team.

:edit:

this is my last post in this thread. Nobody's mind is going to change.

RDK

Smash Hero
I dont believe Ness' Yoyo gitch was intended in melee.. but you can do it.
I dont believe Ear Biting in boxing is intended aswell.. but you can do it.
It doesn't matter whether it was intended or not. If you want to experience creator's intent, go watch a movie or read a book.

So apparently Ike's up-B wasn't intended, because nobody but Ike can do it. If it was "intended", the Brawl roster would only need to consist of "Ikes" and a random box to pick Ikes. No one would choose anything else.

See how dumb you sound?

Sure, that's why Ice Climbers are placing top in every tournament around the nation.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Let's kill this thread.

A friend and I were walking home from school today,and we went to cross the street and the cars started coming. But then ShortBus saved us. We caught up with ShortBus to thank the driver. We then found out the driver was EFG himself! (picture below)

I became kind of scared as the last time I saw EFG he, well, failed. I took a look in the back of ShortBus and saw every single 4chan meme in the internet.

Shortbus is Short.

ShortBus = New Meme
Lulz

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Niko_K said:
Bad Niko_K! Bad Niko_K. On topic:
Do mods ever merge threads here on Smashboards? I mean, there's an identical thread to this running concurrently in the Brawl Tournaments Section.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
You have never been to a tournament have you?
Infinites are already allowed in almost all tourneys. and guess what? barely anyone plays ICs.

Its funny how you talk about intelligence when you don't know what you are talking about.

mynaymeisadam

Smash Rookie
Only he's misinterpreting a lot of the arguments presented against him and replying with some only loosely connected arguments, plus, the vast majority of his arguments were later curbstomped repeatedly, yet he kept reiterating them as if they'd be more valid a second, third, fourth or fifth time, all the while flaming anyone who dared refute his points and "misinterpreting" people's arguments over and over and over even when they go into intricately detailed explanations on what they really mean to prevent him from "misinterpreting" them.

An opinion =/= A valid argument/point

An opinion is not per se the same thing as an argument and a point. Also, not all opinions are valid. Just because a person thinks they're right does not mean their opinion is valid. Also, this is a debate. It's about actual arguments, facts and evidence and not opinions.

I definitely see your point, and he is kind-of overreacting, but this is really off topic so I'm going to stop talking about Patsie, this is overkill already.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I skipped every single post since I last posted here because I was away the past 5 days winning money, games, tickets, an HD screen and stuff in tournaments and I didn't feel like reading up on 6+ pages of spam.

I only read the beginning of Patsie's first post after my last post. Has Patsie done anything lately except claim his opponents do stuff they do not actually do and that he sometimes himself does? Because, really, does anyone agree with him that I "change the subject" whenever he "refutes my points"?

Then again, this is the guy who insisted I was a woman despite my sig, my numerous times telling him to read my sig, numerous other people referring to me as a man and/or telling him that I am indeed a man.
What are you talking about? I called you 'she' by mistake, it was a slip of the mind. I even referred to you as 'he' beforehand in the thread numerous times. I get confused, I never 'insisted' that you were a woman...

Overall, I and others think that I'm right and that you guys are refusing to change your positions while being illogical.

You and others think that you're right and that I'm refusing to change my position whilst being illogical.

Nothing constructive has been done as a result, which is why I stopped arguing here. We've been two ships passing in the night since the first page, so I think everyone (including me, including you) should just leave their ad-homs at the door and stop continuing the fuss.

I think that's a fair compromise.

EDIT: I also don't know why people think I'm so hotheaded. I understand that my posts responding to Yuna was overly harsh, and I apologize for that, but other than that I think the majority of my responses have been civil. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yuna's a guy? Huh.

Anyway this argument is going nowhere. The people who say infinites are cheap aren't willing to take the effort to be good enough to avoid them.

The people who say infinites aren't cheap aren't willing to accept that some people aren't good enough to avoid them.

This whole thing is pointless. People who hate infinites. JUST DON'T GO TO TOURNAMENTS WHERE INFINITES ARE LEGAL.

There problem solved.

Temjin

Smash Rookie
Inconsequential bovine manure. I'm sick and tired of people spouting off this nonesense.

First of all, how do you know it's unintended? It's not even a glitch!

Then why mention them being unintended to begin with? Stop using "it's unintended" as an argument. It's inconsequential.
LOL. Manure. Nice one. I know its unintended because..

Infinites weren't intended, and judging from Sakurai's mentality, neither was a competitive scene for his games.

This guy said so. And he seems to know everything.

No i am not setting up a straw man when i submit a post, im giving an honest opinion and comparing my opinion to other competitive scenarios but you dont see between the lines. Maybe sit there and think about it for afew hours and a message might come to you.

So apparently Ike's up-B wasn't intended, because nobody but Ike can do it. If it was "intended", the Brawl roster would only need to consist of "Ikes" and a random box to pick Ikes. No one would choose anything else.

See how dumb you sound?

[/COLOR]
Congratulations.. you are an idiot. To the simple minded like yourself I might sound dumb. But you 'look' dumb. So im going to hold that against you and ignore whatever you say.

And Ankoku. I welcome your informative quotes. They are always so full of knowledge and make you look intelligent. I'm glad thats all you will bother to respond to me with because nothing you really do say contributes to the discussion and you sound stupid anyway.

Before i started posting here i had high respect for people here at smashboards. I believe Patsie has more intelligence than half the people who try to argue his points with crap and think they're Einstein. There are many people who argue against him who are very intelligent too. But im suprised about the amount of scrubs here who just look down on others and contribute utter nonsense and flame others for nothing. And for all those who are are wondering, No, all you scrubs out there i don't want your respect in the slightest.

The moment somebody says something that has the slightest flawe (yes flaw is spelt without the e so thats an invitation for people who know english to flame), gets flamed. So here's an informative statement for the idiots here.

My Balls, Your mouth, Good Times. =D

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Congratulations.. you are an idiot. To the simple minded like yourself I might sound dumb. But you 'look' dumb. So im going to hold that against you and ignore whatever you say.

Irony FTW?

Did you stop and consider that you are the simple one and you look dumb to the intelligent?

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
I just gonna say Pastie has the best arguments possible, and it looks like no one here can give a reasonable argument against his topic. Therefore, Pastie, you win this argument, and hopefully tourney organizers will see it our way too.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Honest opinion:
But, of all the justifications that I can think of, I can't really see why people would actually encourage infinites to be part of a tournament.
Temjin:
Thanks Sonic the Hedgedawg :D
You da man.
After my awesome explination on how stupid infinites are,
Anyone's post criticizing it looks lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Hear that guys? Lameeeeeeeeeee.
Its good to see we all know English.. but those posts are lameee.
Funny how it works.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Can't you claim it removes skill with a luck sack kill?

Like IC's Alternating grab, if they took you from 0-death doesn't that remove skill of the fighting by an instant kill and therefore should be dealt with.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I just gonna say Pastie has the best arguments possible, and it looks like no one here can give a reasonable argument against his topic. Therefore, Pastie, you win this argument, and hopefully tourney organizers will see it our way too.
You're right about Patsie arguing well but it won't go away until it degrades the game. If more than half of the cast were infiniteable it would be taken more seriously. But for now you CAN avoid it. You CAN beat people who play using infinites and most good players do. You CAN counterpick if you're up against a DDD. Not everyone is going to play DDD or IC since they'll lose against good players. I played against an IC player recently who hit me with an infinite. So I kicked my Shield and shot lasers at them a few times (Falco) and then when they had to approach I just daired in between them and knocked Nana out. (then they quit. XD)

The point is it's possible to avoid.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Can't you claim it removes skill with a luck sack kill?

Like IC's Alternating grab, if they took you from 0-death doesn't that remove skill of the fighting by an instant kill and therefore should be dealt with.
Both the IC's infinite chaingrabs and Magneto's infinite take a proper setup and, once started, a very good amount of technical consistency. It doesn't remove the technical skill aspect, though it does negate the smart play aspect for the duration of the infinite.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Both the IC's infinite chaingrabs and Magneto's infinite take a proper setup and, once started, a very good amount of technical consistency. It doesn't remove the technical skill aspect, though it does negate the smart play aspect for the duration of the infinite.
This is true that skill is required to set it up the chain grab, but it removes all other aspects of the game turning it into solitaire once started.

It's as bad as the fan in Brawl.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The fan takes a very simple setup (hit the opponent) and takes little tech skill (mash A). The chaingrabs require the condition of A. Nana being present and nearby so that she can be desynched, and B. the opponent to get grabbed. They also take a fair amount of skill to run through, especially due to varying timings based on character weight.

However, the question of skill isn't relevant to banning it. The question of whether it's powerful enough that a human player can legitimately take an Ice Climbers and win tournaments with just that technique is the important one. So far, I've heard of one ICs player taking first, and he only used ICs for three matches, going G&W for most of the tournament otherwise.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
You're right about Patsie arguing well but it won't go away until it degrades the game. If more than half of the cast were infiniteable it would be taken more seriously. But for now you CAN avoid it. You CAN beat people who play using infinites and most good players do. You CAN counterpick if you're up against a DDD. Not everyone is going to play DDD or IC since they'll lose against good players. I played against an IC player recently who hit me with an infinite. So I kicked my Shield and shot lasers at them a few times (Falco) and then when they had to approach I just daired in between them and knocked Nana out. (then they quit. XD)

The point is it's possible to avoid.

i do see what you mean by it being avoidable, but eventually, as Pastie said, you are going to be grabbed, and if your playing an extremly skilled, for example IC player, chances are he will grab you more often seeing as the infinite with IC is a HUGE part of the game. All in all, i think infinites should be banned, or at least limited, and if anyone wants my reasons, read the thread that Pastie put so much time and thought into.

RDK

Smash Hero
i do see what you mean by it being avoidable, but eventually, as Pastie said, you are going to be grabbed, and if your playing an extremly skilled, for example IC player, chances are he will grab you more often seeing as the infinite with IC is a HUGE part of the game. All in all, i think infinites should be banned, or at least limited, and if anyone wants my reasons, read the thread that Pastie put so much time and thought into.
Is that not what competition is about? The player with more skill wins. Despite common opinion, wobbling takes a lot of tech skill. Not only do you have to be fairly competent at desynching with Nana, as Ankoku stated, but you also must be able to mantain the infinite with a fair amount of technicality. It doesn't just do it on its own; you have to be able to input at the right timing and consistency, just like any other combo.

But asides from that, wobbling is an Ice Climber techniqe, just like SHL is a Falco technique or Shine combos are a Fox technique. It's part of the character. If you're having such a hard time dealing with wobbling, choose an IC counter, or, better yet, DON'T GET GRABBED. Jesus.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
Is that not what competition is about? The player with more skill wins. Despite common opinion, wobbling takes a lot of tech skill. Not only do you have to be fairly competent at desynching with Nana, as Ankoku stated, but you also must be able to mantain the infinite with a fair amount of technicality. It doesn't just do it on its own; you have to be able to input at the right timing and consistency, just like any other combo.

But asides from that, wobbling is an Ice Climber techniqe, just like SHL is a Falco technique or Shine combos are a Fox technique. It's part of the character. If you're having such a hard time dealing with wobbling, choose an IC counter, or, better yet, DON'T GET GRABBED. Jesus.
the answer to this lies in Pasties Post. It takes the defensive-offensive aspect out of the game considering that if a player uses the infinite move of a character, it cannot be escaped, thus, as i said taking out the defensive-offensive aspect out.

RDK

Smash Hero
the answer to this lies in Pasties Post. It takes the defensive-offensive aspect out of the game considering that if a player uses the infinite move of a character, it cannot be escaped, thus, as i said taking out the defensive-offensive aspect out.
Sure it can be escaped. At certain percentages, you can DI out of it. It also depends on how proficient at wobbling the player doing the wobbling is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom