• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I've got to go home and enjoy the little bit of free time work allows me during the day, so I'm done for the day after this one:

Yuna:

That's what I'm saying, you did misinterperet the first thing you quoted. That's why I've been saying constantly you have to read what I'm said. I didn't say I was right, I said I thought I was right (as in, in my mind, I'm correct, in your mind, you are). I meant that if we both think we're right and we're not changing our minds about it, we're not getting anywhere in the discussion.

I don't want to go line-by-line again because I don't have the time for now, but our arguments have been getting further and further from the issues and closer towards repeating what we said.

I will look at the list of things you presented tomorrow and either show that:

a) Infinites apply or b) They don't meet the two criteria conditions that I mentioned previously.

Fair? If not, just tell me explicitly what I've gotta do, because all we're doing right now is bickering (no, not just me, both of us).

EDIT:

This is less a debate over the legality of infinites and more a debate over who's better at debating.
I agree, and I'll admit I've got a bad character flaw about finishing the argument regardless of what it dissolves into. Sorry to say this, but I think Yuna does too. I don't think Yuna will admit that, though. But I think it's clear regardless. (Yuna, save your time, don't say "No, but you're the one who's actually wrong!" I think even Ankoku will admit we're both doing a negative thing here.)

Grunt

Smash Master
I'm sorry, I actually stopped looking at anything and everything you had to say because I didn't think that your consistent one-line responses to paragraphs of reasoning merited my attention. I also don't have time to respond within 5 minutes to three people asking me for responses.
Because all this question needs is a one line answer. this thread has gone way to far when the answer has been stated on the first couple of pages.
"When it's Play x character or lose, then we ban it."
Please, tell me why this quote doesn't seem to exist to you.

It's great to know that you think I'm wrong and all, but until you start giving justifications for your claims, you're the one that's wrong.

By the way:
You're awful at this game, I've seen BOCES candidates that can reason better than you, you have bad hygiene, you're ugly.

Since we don't have to prove any of the claims we make, all of those have to be correct, right?
You can actually do research on this kind of stuff though. figure out WHY Akuma is banned and other cheap tactics are left in HUNDREDS of fighting games. compared to MVC2, Smash is pretty balanced, since MVC2 has TONS of infinites that were never banned. sure they are "unfair" but not banned. fighting game history has NEVER banned something because of fairness UNTIL it gets to the point where you play as X character or lose.(which has been said many times over in this thread).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's great to know that you think I'm wrong and all, but until you start giving justifications for your claims, you're the one that's wrong.
Only we've already told you numerous times why you're wrong on this issue!

We do not ban things for being "unavoidable and totally unfair"! That's not reason enough! We've told you this! We've given you outright examples from other games (like, say, Melee and Brawl) about things that are unavoidable and totally unfair that aren't banned.

We've told you numerous times this isn't why things are banned. And you keep ignoring it (like with the one jillion other things we've been saying).

Yuna, I know you love to argue, but this is going no where. My post on the prior page already addressed why infinites in fighting games are not banned and why infinites in Brawl in particular are no where near ban worthy as they do not break the game in any way and are all avoided with bit of spacing.
Funny. I remember telling him all that back on page 6 or whatever. He ignored most of it.

My post was ignored. Patsie is now just parsing words and repeating himself.
He's been doing that since page 2.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I agree, and I'll admit I've got a bad character flaw about finishing the argument regardless of what it dissolves into. Sorry to say this, but I think Yuna does too. I don't think Yuna will admit that, though. But I think it's clear regardless. )
Everyone knows Yuna likes to argue.... >.>

Metà

Smash Master
I'll admit, I haven't read most of this thread (just the first few pages, and only really glossed over those), but I have posted in a few threads, and the TC seems to be making the same arguments that everyone else has.

With that in mind, I'll add another point that's already been said many times before:

I've hosted many tournaments (including high turn-outs and several hundred $'s given away in prize money) and I've hosted for all 3 games more than once. I've been doing this for 2 years now and I've always taken input from others into how I run them, and everyone (mostly) agrees upon my rulesets. However, I would no sooner outright ban ANY infinite (with the exception of using them to stall, or freeze glitches) than I would ban Fox in Melee, Kirby and Pikachu in SSB, and Snake/Meta Knight in SSBB. It's part of the game, just f*cking deal with it or don't play competitively (perhaps not even at all). IC's infinite is no more broken than Snake's tilts; it's just a broken game, which is why I don't like it as much as the other two installments.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Because all this question needs is a one line answer. this thread has gone way to far when the answer has been stated on the first couple of pages.
"When it's Play x character or lose, then we ban it."
Please, tell me why this quote doesn't seem to exist to you.

You can actually do research on this kind of stuff though. figure out WHY Akuma is banned and other cheap tactics are left in HUNDREDS of fighting games. compared to MVC2, Smash is pretty balanced, since MVC2 has TONS of infinites that were never banned. sure they are "unfair" but not banned. fighting game history has NEVER banned something because of fairness UNTIL it gets to the point where you play as X character or lose.(which has been said many times over in this thread).
If I pick Akuma, will I automatically be taken to the "Akuma wins" screen?

If I pick Akuma, will my opponent keel over dead as soon as we enter the game?

If I pick Akuma, will he magically kill my opponent without my input?

If I pick Akuma, do I have such a massive advantage that my opponent has a very small chance of winning?

If it's any of the first 3, you're right. If it's the last one, you're wrong. That just means he has an advantage, basically: Playing with Akuma would be unfair.

Also, here's my little research: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=27728

Akuma is better than the rest of the cast because of his double fireballs, his early recovery from dizziness, etc.

That doesn't mean it's an auto win. It means he has an unfair advantage.

Edit: Emphasis on unfair.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Isn't Akuma soft-banned? Sorta like Sheik's chaingrabs in Melee.... to an extent.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
You're quoting Evo? They're dumb as rocks.

They say items should be legal. Like the Home-run bat...errr..... BASEBALL Bat.

But Akuma IS broken. Akuma is too good. He won most (all?) tournaments when he was legal. IF IC do that THEN infinites will be banned. Essentially you backed up the wrong point.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Sigh, people need to just stop arguing for a while. >.<
If you want it banned, then go play with friends who agree on IC's infinite being banned, or you can wait for tournaments to all agree to have it banned. Until then, this argument is going nowhere so just go watch GERMANY VS PORTUGAL!!!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Sigh, people need to just stop arguing for a while. >.<
If you want it banned, then go play with friends who agree on IC's infinite being banned, or you can wait for tournaments to all agree to have it banned. Until then, this argument is going nowhere so just go watch GERMANY VS PORTUGAL!!!
But it won't get banned unless they argue.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
[...]That just means he has an advantage, basically: Playing with Akuma would be unfair.

[...]

Unfair advantage? Double fireballs and early recovery HARDLY equals to an infinite in Smash. And I agree, you can't quote them when you are having an argument in Smash.

Since when did we start to compare two very different game-series here on SmashBoards?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
You're quoting Evo? They're dumb as rocks.

They say items should be legal. Like the Home-run bat...errr..... BASEBALL Bat.

But Akuma IS broken. Akuma is too good. He won most (all?) tournaments when he was legal. IF IC do that THEN infinites will be banned. Essentially you backed up the wrong point.
Way to perpetuate the stereotype, buddy. <_<'

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I understand this isn't the first game to have infinites.

I'm also not saying that, because of infinites, we should stop playing Brawl.

However, I think that, in any sort of competition, you need to limit the scale and scope of what you're presented with to provide an even playing field for your competitors. A prerequisite to competition is a fair starting ground. I'll admit, it's impossible to completely even the playing ground, especially when working within certain boundaries (like the mechanics of a video game). That's just a preface, onto your argument:
You are fixated on the issue of balance. But as wild as this may sound, balance is not a determining factor in whether a game is competitive or not except in the most extreme cases. We do not ban things to make the game fair for every body. Fighting games are not really about fairness.
If we were trying to fight on a level playing field, we would play Fox only, no items, FD.
If we allow the whole cast of characters to be used, then we aren't fikghting oin a level playing field due to the inherent strengths of certain characters over others (and in some cases the utter superiority of certain characters such as Snake and MK).
We ban things to make sure the game is playable. That's it.
If walk-off stages were not banned in Melee, every tournament level Melee player would eventually come to the conclusion that Fox's waveshine death combo was the only viable strategy and that would be the whole metagame. Therefore, those stages were the waveshine is possible are banned to maintain the game's playability. The game is still terribly unbalanced, but playable.

I honestly don't know much about those games so it's hard for me to engage you on the actual mechanics of them. But I would say that first, telling people to use infinites first, in this case, would be extremely limiting. The list of characters that can infinite regardless of situation consists of two people (or, if you consider the characters it can be used on a situation, one character: ICs). The majority of the cast can't simply infinite first, unless everyone rolls with the Climbers. This clearly isn't going to happen.
I said use infintes yourself if you really think it's a problem. This is Brawl, not Marvel vs Capcom 2. Infintes are not such a factor in the game that you even have to use them. You just need to learn to avoid it just like anything else.. And it's really not that hard.

But second, in this game at least, we choose to limit certain things despite the fact that the game would still be fairly competitive with them. If we left certain stages on, the game would be a bit less competitive, but it wouldn't ruin the competitive aspect of the game; you've still got two people fighting against each other, with their inputs determining the outcome of the game. If we allowed items, the game would be a lot less competitive, but competitive aspects would still exist. My point is this: those games might have been competitive with infinites, but could we make them more competitive by taking them out? My argument is that Smash could.
There is no evidence yet that infinites make Brawl less competitive. I brought up those other examples to show fighting games where infinites play a far more drastic role in the metagame, yet the game manages to be very competitive and still fun and widely played. The infinites in Brawl are trivial in comparison and only require you to play differently against certain characters. It doesn't mean that DDD will beat DK 100% of the time or even 50% of the time. If DK learns to space well, he can avoid grabs for the most part and still win. Surely he is at a disadvantage, but is he totally incapacitated? No. Therefore a ban is not really necessary.

You have brought up an interesting conundrum though, at least to me, and I'm not sure how to answer it yet:

At what point is a ban too limiting? It's hard to find the perfect balance of limitations and competitive stuff in a fighting game. If we put items back in, the game clearly isn't competitive enough. If we ban everything except FD and ditto matches only, the game is way too limited, although that's where we might see the most even ground in terms of skill.

The only thing I could think of for now is that banning infinites wouldn't really harm Brawl's metagame too much. We wouldn't be banning moves from movesets, just very specific applications of moves. It's not very limiting, although I could be wrong. As I said, it's a good point.
You should read Sirlin's "Playing to Win", specifically the section on Banning things. Banning things in competitive games is actually kind of taboo, an executive power only reserved for that extreme circumstance where the game becomes non-competitive or unplayable due to something extremely over-powered.
Sirlin presents the example of Akuma in Street Fighter 2. In SF2, Akuma's air fireball is so good that if you just jump and spam air fireball, you will almost always win. Tournaments eventually degraded into 2 Akuma's jumping and pressing quarter-circle forward punch over and over. In other words, the game became far less competitive. Thus Akuma was banned. But why ban the whole charcter you say? Why not just the move? Because banning a move is unpractical. What if Akuma throws a fireball once per round? Should the player in question be disqualified? What if he does it by accident? What if you set a limit of fireballs to three and both players choose to throw an extra one? Do you disqualify them both? To avoid this ridiculous scenario, Akuma was banned outright.

This is a very extreme case, and actually one of the few cases in fighting game history where a ban was needed.

The Smash community is actually one of the most ban happy fighting game communities of all. If something doesn't work as Saint Sakurai intended, it is unfair and needs to be banned.

Again, the "don't get grabbed" thing was discussed a lot previously, so read that and respond.

Your second point is good though, but I think that you missed the point.

Infinites are good because they can be an instant kill, but that's not the reason I claim that they're broken or anticompetitive or whatever. I never meant to claim that someone was overpowered if it killed you. Obviously, kills are inevitable in a fighting game, I couldn't make that claim.

But there is a distinct difference between infinites and killing blows. Killing blows are the result of competitive play, you have to actually engage your opponent to even get to that point.

Infinites aren't. On one level, as I said in the OP, you're playing a one-player game. Your opponent can't do anything while you sit and press certain button combinations to get a win. I argued that, ultimately, that doesn't make it a fighting game because it is strictly anti-competitive (that is, competition doesn't even factor into the equation).

On another level, the move is, in comparison to the rest of the cast, so much better in terms of damage and killing ability that it doesn't provide for a fair playing ground. I think that fits in with your other fighters example; there have been characters to possess move(s) so effective compared to other people that the character is just outright banned. We don't even have to do that in Smash, we just have to ban the technique from occuring.
First of all, none of the infinites in Brawl are so easy to land as you suggest. All of theme are situational and can be avoided or countered as I said in my prior post (kill Nana, learn spacing). And you do have to engage your opponent to land an infinite. If I'm using ICs or DDD, you know I'm trying to land an infinite. You just have to adjust your game to beat me. Yea you have a bad match up and you have to play very differently, but I'm no where near guaranteed to beat you if you play smart. If anything you could always pick a character that counters DDD or ICs. In a game like Brawl where match ups make such a big difference, you should be using multiple characters anyway.
Infinites are just particularly powerful moves that make the game interesting. Unless they guarantee that the player using them will win the match the vast majority of the time, like Akuma's air fireball, they are not ban worthy.

Second of all, again you are fixated on this level playing field thing. Fighting games are not about balance and have never been. All the best fighting games have been sorely unbalanced. The unbalance, I think, drives players to try to overcome their characters' flaws and their opponents' strengths. This fosters competition. Infinites are like that too. At first, people that Wobbling was so unfair that it needed to be banned, but the best players just learned to beat it or avoid it and it just became another factor in the metagame.
And banning a technique is essentially running from it. If you can learn learn to beat the technique and overcome it, there is no need to ban it.

Those are clever examples, however, I don't think they apply.

I'm just going off of our previous history with banning things to justify this, because I think those standards are still important.

When other fighting games ban characters outright, their moves are avoidable. They don't come into the game with a win, the just enter the match with such a large advantage that people banned the character for more competitivity. It would be as if boxing set a limit on how strong someone could be before entering the ring (which is why I'm saying fighting games don't function like boxing/tennis).

When stalling was banned in Melee, you could avoid getting above a higher % than JigglyPuff before he could stall. It was still banned though because JP still had a huge advantage upon entering the match.

Basically: in fighting games, we have a history of not only banning things because they are unavoidable, but we also ban avoidable things because they are incredibly unfair.
I used my sports examples to show that because a maneuver is extremely overpowered or can end a game in a single hit doesn't mean that it should be banned.
In fighting games, banning characters is extremely, extremely rare. Banning a whole character actually decreases the level of competition in the game for the most part.
Akuma is one of the few examples in all of fighting game history. Besides that, generally only boss characters or other characters who play completely different from everyone else are banned. Even the most unbalanced characters like Yun in Third Strike or Eddie in Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core, who can kill people literally in 2 combos easily are not banned because they do not guarantee victory, despite having a great advantage over basically the whole cast.

We do not ban things because they are unfair. We ban them if they totally prevent the game from being competitive at all. As I said earlier, banning is only reserved for those most extreme circumstances where the game's integrity as a competitive game is jeopardized. If it can be countered or avoided, no matter how effective, it goes unbanned unless it breaks the whole game.

Learn to adapt and overcome.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Isn't Akuma soft-banned? Sorta like Sheik's chaingrabs in Melee.... to an extent.
Only in Japan.

Misinformed and ignorant opinion.
What part of "If a character/strategy is so good it's virtually impossible to beat unless you play as the same character/use the same strategy or a select few others who can counter it, then we ban it" was too Australian English for you to comprehend? We've said this one gazillion times now.

Akuma is so good it's virtually impossible to win against him if he's being played by a really good player. Yes, you can win... if the Akuma screws up tremendously or if you go Akuma yourself. This is why he's banned. If he only screwed 5 characters out of 35 over, then he wouldn't be banned. And if ICs end up being like that, yes, we will ban them/their infinites/chaingrabs! We've said this many times over asd well!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Then there must not be any "good" ICs players, because as of yet they haven't.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ice climbers can "screw" the entire cast over. It's not just 5/35
* Nana must be alive
* Nana must be desynched
* Nana must be close to Popo

Solution:
* Kill Nana
* Keep them from desynching
* Keep Nana separated from Popo

It's not that hard! Nana is highly susceptible to pretty much everything. And even if they screw everyone over, it has to be in such a way they're not just clearly the best character in the game but it must in a way which makes it virtually impossible to win against them unless you yourself play as ICs or as 3 or so other characters who can fare against them (at all).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I thought there wasn't anything you could do to keep them from desyncing; isn't that only in the hands of the person playing the IC's? I don't play them, so I don't really know.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
also i hope hylian starts infiniting everyone hes plays remorselessly, and puts it on youtube bc than we'll have something to discuss here

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord

If I pick Akuma, do I have such a massive advantage that my opponent has a very small chance of winning?

If it's any of the first 3, you're right. If it's the last one, you're wrong. That just means he has an advantage, basically: Playing with Akuma would be unfair.

Also, here's my little research: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=27728

Akuma is better than the rest of the cast because of his double fireballs, his early recovery from dizziness, etc.

Akuma's fireball changed the entire SF2 metagame. It was so good, it made other strategies pretty much useless. Thus Akuma needed to be banned to save the game.

Nothing in Brawl is anywhere near that broken. Yea it's gay to get hit by an infinite and yea you can whine and call it "unfair", but that's subjective. I can always whine when I get hit by DDD's fmash and die at 50%. Does that make it unfair? No. It's my fault for getting hit by it.
The same applies to infinites. Unless Brawl degrades to 2 Ice Climbers chain throwing each other on FD forever, chain throwing is not ban worthy. Learn to adapt and overcome. It is no where near impossible.

Grunt

Smash Master

IC dont do that either, but IC have yet to win every tournament under the sun.

AGAIN

You ignore the big red bolded words that shut down your argument.

your argument at this point is "I wont agree with not banning it because i have no criteria to base bans around" when people are telling you the criteria from page 1.

maybe it wasn't big enough...

ONCE IT'S PLAY X CHARACTER OR LOSE, IT WILL BE BANNED!

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
* Nana must be alive
* Nana must be desynched
* Nana must be close to Popo

Solution:
* Kill Nana
* Keep them from desynching
* Keep Nana separated from Popo

It's not that hard! Nana is highly susceptible to pretty much everything. And even if they screw everyone over, it has to be in such a way they're not just clearly the best character in the game but it must in a way which makes it virtually impossible to win against them unless you yourself play as ICs or as 3 or so other characters who can fare against them (at all).
I agree with this.

This will be repeated many times: If it is avoidable, like in this case of the Ice Climbers infinite, then a ban is unnecessary.

And to help Grunt:

ONCE IT'S PLAY X CHARACTER OR LOSE, IT WILL BE BANNED!

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
I said I'd posted my last post in this thread, but some idiot brought up akuma in the wrong light again.

Akuma could shoot double fireballs from the air, and his red fireballs were so fast that any opponent caught blocking a red fireball could do nothing other than keep blocking or jump backwards to avoid the next red fireball. As the opponent continued jumping backwards, they run out of space and eventually can do nothing other than block until either time runs out or they die.

The double fireballs from the air moved slowly, so Akuma was free to move on the ground while his fireballs hitboxes were still active in the air. This made approaching him impossible because any approach you could use to get through his fireballs he could punish easily with a move that had invincibility frames.

If you somehow did manage to get akuma into a situation where you were pressuring him, he never got dizzy so all you have to do is buffer dragon punches to get out of pressure no matter what moves your opponent was using to pressure you.

Akuma was allowed for a few years until all tournaments top 8 spots were Akuma and anyone playing to win was forced to use Akuma to have any hope of winning.

DDD's infinite, nor the IC's infinite brings smash anywhere close to this point, so quit using Akuma as an arguing point when you don't know what you're talking about.

Patsie, in early melee stalling tactics weren't banned until the best tactic in any serious match was to do little bit of damage and stall for 7 minutes.

This time instead of nitpicking out some little issue of semantics or subjective definitions please use your good sense to process what I've said regardless of a semantical issue that you could exploit to make it look like I present my argument poorly.

Also in regards to the IC low percent strat of grab->throw->nana dair->grab, you can smash DI the dair and make the IC player have to read your DI in order to continue the chain, so their infinite is not broken as it requires both a high degree of tech skill and good DI reading ability.

The DDD infinite, even though it stacks the odds heavily in DDD's favor, is still not unbeatable and therefore not banworthy.

:edit:

wow, a bunch of stuff popped up while I was typing.

in response to da K.I.D, if you run away to prevent your opponent from stalling, you are now stalling. This makes stalling the only tactic.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
also, basically the point of the matter is this....

while i have agreed with just about everything patsie has said up to this point the fact of the matter is that, according to what ive seen, as easy as it is to avoid the ICG, its just not not easy or powerful enough. and while D3 can completely negate 5 characters with one move, its just not enough characters. in order for it to be banned by smashboard standards, they need to completely negate and destroy everyother character to get banned. and while i hate admitting to this, at this point neither CG is strong enough to do that.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
IIRC Smash 64 had a rule where a Ness player could repick if Saffron City was selected. The MOST you could probably hope for is to be able to reselect your character if you are infiniteable and your opponent picked DDD. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

RDK

Smash Hero
What he needs to realize is that nobody really places well enough with IC's while using the infinite to win to deserve a ban. It's a lot harder to do when you're in a real match against somebody, especially when you're IC's and you're playing against a ridiculous Snake or a Metaknight.

So you think the IC infinite is gay? Here's a solution: play someone gayer. Kick the gay-gauge up a notch. Walk around the stage and spam f-tilt with Snake--that's a 100% guaranteed way to not get grabbed because the IC's won't be able to get within 5 feet of you.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
If everyone thinks that something is banworthy, instead of getting on smashboards and whining, go out and win tournaments with it. Enter as many tournaments as you can, and win them with your "broken" tactic. If you do indeed win a lot, more people will start using your strategy. If it becomes the only strategy, it will get banned and you will have your way and probably a good chunk of money.

It's WIN-WIN!

Grunt

Smash Master
If everyone thinks that something is banworthy, instead of getting on smashboards and whining, go out and win tournaments with it. Enter as many tournaments as you can, and win them with your "broken" tactic. If you do indeed win a lot, more people will start using your strategy. If it becomes the only strategy, it will get banned and you will have your way and probably a good chunk of money.

It's WIN-WIN!
ROFL never thought of that.

That's been said a MILLION TIMES!

Has that ever been responded to?
you just have to spam the x character line in big bold red letters, then maybe he will.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
also, basically the point of the matter is this....

while i have agreed with just about everything patsie has said up to this point the fact of the matter is that, according to what ive seen, as easy as it is to avoid the ICG, its just not not easy or powerful enough. and while D3 can completely negate 5 characters with one move, its just not enough characters. in order for it to be banned by smashboard standards, they need to completely negate and destroy everyother character to get banned. and while i hate admitting to this, at this point neither CG is strong enough to do that.
"not easy or powerful enough"

*sigh*

Practice more. You give ICs to much credit.

"Completely negate 5 characters"

*facepalm*

It's not even that good. Pick a counter character if its so hard.

And we aren't even talking "Smash Boards" standards. We're talking fighting games in general. There is no group of fighting games players so ready to ban things that are hard to handle as Smash players. It's ridiculous. We haven't even seen these infinites come close to dominating or even factoring into the metagame in a large way and we are already talking about banning them.
On the contrary, we've seen infinites at work in Smash 64, Melee and many other fighting games that seem unstoppable at first, but are just accepted as powerful strategies once they are overcome. The infinites in Brawl are no where near as important.

If you hold your own tournament, you can ban anything you want. No one's stopping you.

RDK

Smash Hero
There is no group of fighting games players so ready to ban things that are hard to handle as Smash players. It's ridiculous. We haven't even seen these infinites come close to dominating or even factoring into the metagame in a large way and we are already talking about banning them.
Actual competitive Smash players who go to tournaments don't have a problem with it; it's the n00bs that jumped on the Brawl bandwagon that are always complaining about what's fair and not fair.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
"not easy or powerful enough"

*sigh*

Practice more. You give ICs to much credit.

"Completely negate 5 characters"

*facepalm*

It's not even that good. Pick a counter character if its so hard.

And we aren't even talking "Smash Boards" standards. We're talking fighting games in general. There is no group of fighting games players so ready to ban things that are hard to handle as Smash players. It's ridiculous. We haven't even seen these infinites come close to dominating or even factoring into the metagame in a large way and we are already talking about banning them.
On the contrary, we've seen infinites at work in Smash 64, Melee and many other fighting games that seem unstoppable at first, but are just accepted as powerful strategies once they are overcome. The infinites in Brawl are no where near as important.

If you hold your own tournament, you can ban anything you want. No one's stopping you.
i think you misunderstood me, i said the exact thing your elaborating on, that if the IC ICG was easier to pull off and stronger than it would get banned, and if D3s ICG worked on 30-35 instead of 5-35 than it would get a ban. basically like if snakes tilts, which have stupid range speed and priority and are stupid easy to hit with, and work on all 38 chars., did the damage that the ICGs do, than it would get banned. thats what it boils down to. and since i am not a TO, that fact that i do not agree with this reasoning is of no consequence.

So to answer the actual topic question::
Infinites arre allowed in tournament play because they are not powerful enough

EDIT; for the record i have been a regular tourney goer for about 2.5 years now, i play D3, and i STILL believe that the standing infinite should be banned

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The fan takes a very simple setup (hit the opponent) and takes little tech skill (mash A). The chaingrabs require the condition of A. Nana being present and nearby so that she can be desynched, and B. the opponent to get grabbed. They also take a fair amount of skill to run through, especially due to varying timings based on character weight.

However, the question of skill isn't relevant to banning it. The question of whether it's powerful enough that a human player can legitimately take an Ice Climbers and win tournaments with just that technique is the important one. So far, I've heard of one ICs player taking first, and he only used ICs for three matches, going G&W for most of the tournament otherwise.
I have to disagree,

Broken is broken regardless if it sees play or not. Some things we banned, never use, or took out immediately from just predicting what would happen.

There is skill to setting it up, but the simple fact it has almost to level limitations, workable on a majority of the cast, and it results in an instant death should make it broken.

RDK

Smash Hero
For the millionth time, it doesn't necessarily result in an instant death. You can DI out of it.

That aside, it's extremely difficult to set up. You have to have Nana alive, desynched, AND near you all at the same time in order to pull it off, and those three requirements have to coincide with your opponent being within grabbing range at that particular moment.

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
I don't know where the argument is right now, but I'll tell my thoughts about this.

I frequently play an Ice Climber online. He can infinite. He has done 0% - Death combos to me plenty of times. However, I win matches half the time. It's not that he only knows how to infinite and 'break' the game and sucks at everything else, it's because it really hasn't impacted the results of our matches.

Some characters are just plain horrible against Ice Climbers, but some are better. It's like that with all characters, it's just the match ups.

I tolerate infinites simply because it can be avoided in some degree, and can be punished. If Ice Climbers do nothing but run -> shield -> roll -> grab -> roll, if you're a competent player, you should know how to avoid them because 1) They have poor grab range, 2) They have horrible traction, 3) They don't run fast, 4) Nana doesn't shield as fast, 5) They can mess up. Taking advantage of these things can help you punish Ice Climbers if that's all they do. If they managed to grab me, I deserved it. If grabbing was as easy and rewarding as SSB64 grabbing, then it WOULD be a problem, but it isn't.

Just another note, if Ice Climbers aren't winning tournaments, why is everyone focused on them so much.

Anyway... So yeah...

Don't get grabbed.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
For the millionth time, it doesn't necessarily result in an instant death. You can DI out of it.
Maybe at 0%.

That aside, it's extremely difficult to set up. You have to have Nana alive, desynched, AND near you all at the same time in order to pull it off, and those three requirements have to coincide with your opponent being within grabbing range at that particular moment.
1.) Not hard.
2. 3. 4.) You dash dance or use an attack that isn't a jab so pop only hits to desynch her and rush at the opponent.

RDK

Smash Hero
Maybe at 0%.
Uh, no. Try again.

1.) Not hard.
2. 3. 4.) You dash dance or use an attack that isn't a jab so pop only hits to desynch her and rush at the opponent.
But actually getting Nana in position while Popo initiates the infinite, and actually having the technical consistency to maintain the infinite itself is difficult.

That being said, it doesn't really matter anyway, as you should have the awareness not to even let that happen anyway. The IC's have terrible grab range, and a good spacing game should keep them far out of your area, especially against characters with projectiles and better reach (which is like 2/3s of the cast).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom