• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scala

Smash Ace
I think the reason that IC players haven't been winning tournaments is because:

A. It's simply not documented
B. Winning a tournament solely with ICs abusing their infinite combo is taboo.

Really, I don't think the issue is whether or not IC players have been winning tournaments with the infinite grab combo, but whether or not they are capable of it. I think full well that they are completely capable of it.

Also, I might be rehashing old information, but I'm unwilling to read through 34 pages of posts.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
Sure it can be escaped. At certain percentages, you can DI out of it. It also depends on how proficient at wobbling the player doing the wobbling is.

you cant DI out of IC infinite, which is why it is called an inifinite grab...

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
you cant DI out of IC infinite, which is why it is called an inifinite grab...
At low percent, you can. It's only a true infinite at higher percent.

On the subject of the infinite, a Fox will sooner waveshine a peach across the stage 4 times than an IC player will wobble 4 stocks. Should we ban waveshine?

A falco player will sooner 0-death a falcon than an IC player will wobble 4 stocks, should we ban 0-deaths, or falco as a character?

A marth will sooner gimp a spacie 4 times than an IC player will wobble 4 stocks, should we ban gimps?

Or should we allow different aspects of the game to shape and evolve, and leave some room for people to find counters to seemingly broken tactics.

In the case of serious and high level competitive FG players, the answer is a no-brainer. There are very viable counters to the IC infinite in Melee, and there are viable counters to every grab infinite in Brawl. Kill nana, pepper DDD with jabs and DIed arials, grab him before he grabs you. Find ways to beat it, don't ban it just because it frustrates you.

If TDs banned a tactic just because it was tough to beat, Snake and Metaknight as characters would be banned in Brawl, and Fox/Falco/Marth would be banned in Melee. If people get ban happy, the game will simply deteriorate, and evolution of high level play will become stagnant.

With the high level of flaming and disgustingly uninformed posts, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been close yet.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
EDIT: I also don't know why people think I'm so hotheaded. I understand that my posts responding to Yuna was overly harsh, and I apologize for that, but other than that I think the majority of my responses have been civil. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Let me quote you...

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4671354&postcount=15
"Hey look Yuna, you've continued your streak of being absolutely ********! You're over 6000 now, 3000 more and people will be shouting that lame meme at your stupidity! [...] Anyway, here's why you're a ****ing moron. Are you brain-dead?"

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4671454&postcount=24
"That's why Yuna is an idiot for saying 'SO WHAT DEAL WITH HAVING A BAD ADVANTAGE.'"

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4677730#post4677730
"If you knew anything about argumentation Yuna fails on several levels. Just try arguing against him =)."

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4677740&postcount=256
"What's really sad is that you wasted a minute of your life posting that just to make yourself look bad =)" - Not as inflammatory but still hotheaded and flaming.

Then I got bored and stopped re-reading your posts but there were more inflammatory ones in there (and in other threads too, IIRC).

This guy said so. And he seems to know everything.

No i am not setting up a straw man when i submit a post, im giving an honest opinion and comparing my opinion to other competitive scenarios but you dont see between the lines. Maybe sit there and think about it for afew hours and a message might come to you.
Nice how you removed the many parts of the post you quoted that motivated why whether or not it's intended is inconsequential. We never ban things for being unintended. The fact that something really good is unintended does not make it more banworthy than were it intended either.

Also, there's still no definitive the infinites were unintended. After all, Sakurai saw what set-knockback throws and desynching did to Melee and he still didn't make sure it would be impossible to replicate in Brawl.

the answer to this lies in Pasties Post. It takes the defensive-offensive aspect out of the game considering that if a player uses the infinite move of a character, it cannot be escaped, thus, as i said taking out the defensive-offensive aspect out.
So do really good combos. Once the first hit hits, you've lost tons and tons of damage, sometimes an entire stock depending on who you are and who you're fighting. Ban?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
For all infinite nay-sayers:

When we have a fighting game, we begin with a full set of characters, each with a full moveset. Until something can be defined as truly game breaking, nothing will be banned.

So we have discovered that there are infinites in Brawl, and most notably, the Ice Climbers infinite(s). It is allowed. In melee, Wobbling was allowed, heck, waveshining is allowed. If you can infinite inverse drillshine Peach then go for your life, nobody is going to stop you.

As soon as we see a number of tournaments where the greater majority of the top 8 are abusing the same so called game-breaking infinite, then Tournament organizers will be forced to reconsider the allowance of the Infinite, or even outright banning the character.

As it stands, Infinite users are beatable. Many people have stated that the IC's infinite this time round requires much more skill.

Until infinite nay-sayers can present comprehensive proof that infinite users are dominating many high profile tournaments and ousting previously high ranking players with the infinite they believe deserve to be banned in a tournament setting, then the strategy stands.

If you don't like it, start your own tournament, make your own rules. Nobody is stopping you. I've been reading this and other threads of a similar nature for the past few days and its really getting old quite frankly.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
It's funny how half the people arguing for infinites to be banned don't even enter the tournaments a ban would affect.
This is too true, sadly. Casual/Non-competetive players want to control how the competetive scene plays. It's quite annoying.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Let me quote you...

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4671354&postcount=15
"Hey look Yuna, you've continued your streak of being absolutely ********! You're over 6000 now, 3000 more and people will be shouting that lame meme at your stupidity! [...] Anyway, here's why you're a ****ing moron. Are you brain-dead?"

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4671454&postcount=24
"That's why Yuna is an idiot for saying 'SO WHAT DEAL WITH HAVING A BAD ADVANTAGE.'"

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4677730#post4677730
"If you knew anything about argumentation Yuna fails on several levels. Just try arguing against him =)."

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4677740&postcount=256
"What's really sad is that you wasted a minute of your life posting that just to make yourself look bad =)" - Not as inflammatory but still hotheaded and flaming.

Then I got bored and stopped re-reading your posts but there were more inflammatory ones in there (and in other threads too, IIRC).
Did you read my post, or did you just quote something again without bothering to go through what I said?

I said my responses to you were overly harsh and apologized, so you... quoted my responses to you to say they were overly harsh?

Let's just drop it, I certainly did despite that I still think my arguments stand. You probably feel the same exact way, which is why we're not getting anywhere.

(These don't pertain to you, Yuna, but I didn't want to multipost)
EDIT: Also, another reason why I'm dropping it is because I've heard like 7 different reasons (some conflicting, some not) from different Smash directors and mods for why we ban things in tournaments. It's really hard to argue for banning something when you don't have a precise criteria to work off of.

EDIT 2: I already explained why I didn't respond to Mookierah, but I guess that went unread. I assumed that Mookie did not read the thread, because he made arguments that were previously made and refuted. I thought it was a safer assumption than assuming he was ignorant or that he lacked reading comprehension, because he seems like a smart guy. I'm just not going to bother telling him why he's wrong if he didn't bother reading more than just my first post in the first place.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Overall, I and others think that I'm right and that you guys are refusing to change your positions while being illogical.
The difference between your side and our side is that seasoned competitive vets are on our side, and relatively new guys are on your side. Keep in mind, we, the tourney vets, were once on your side. The thing is, we've been through this many many times before with melee. People yelled to ban the c-stick, people yelled to ban the wavedash, people yelled to ban drill shines, people yelled to ban falco's laser, and so on. All those things didn't break the game, and more than likely the IC infinites won't either.

If and when the IC's DO become broken we'll ban it.
This guy said so. And he seems to know everything.
You missed my point. My point is that whether or not it was intentional it doesn't matter. I even said that the competitive scene of smash was more than likely unintentional to Sakurai. If your argument is to only do things based on creator's intent, then you should just stop posting on the boards about tournament stuff and play casually the rest of your life.

If you are a casual player and have no want to become a tournament player, then like I've stated several times in here (or actually once, but it was quoted like 6 times) there is no reason for you to be arguing in the first place. If you want to influence the scene, then be a part of it. If not, don't complain.
Anyway this argument is going nowhere. The people who say infinites are cheap aren't willing to take the effort to be good enough to avoid them.
QFT

Cropcircles

Smash Rookie
imo we could atleast ban the "marth on ness/lucas" infinite, because ness and lucas are basically rendered useless against him.
and stop saying don't get grabbed. pro players get grabbed all the time and they even know how to avoid it aswell and still get grabbed. so not getting grabbed is pretty hard in some cases, especially for characters like ness who is a close combat character.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
I hate it when people critique videos and say "they didnt chain grab, they suck". Chain grabbing is so easy its sad, almost as easy as the aaa combos. And IC can 0 death you everytime, however, if those people are not winning tournys its not a bid deal; if they start winning a lot, it will get banned though I think they should put a 5 limit on chain grabs. But theres so many loopholes in that plan its sad.

i think tht it should be banned before people start winning alot. what if u were tht guy who lost the entire tournament right at the end cause u got chained, and then they banned it?

Miller

Smash Lord
What I don't understand is that people are saying, "As soon as it starts to win tournaments, then you should ban it". Thats just pathetic fallacy. So as soon as someone starts to beat you, your going to ban what your loosing you?! Its your job to find ways around it, and banning it is not a way around it. Its just a way to hide behind the rules.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That's not a particularly great policy, either. There are, of course, ways around everything - you can end a Jigglypuff infinite stall by picking Jigglypuff and going after the staller, and you can avoid infinite chaingrabs by picking Ice Climbers yourself.

However, if the solution is pretty much limited to a single character option, like I listed above, then there's a problem because the entire metagame is being warped to deal with a single tactic/technique, and I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the game would be better/more fun without having to deal with said tactic/technique in the first place.

But, that hasn't happened with the ICs infinites yet, so there's really no problem at the moment.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
The difference between your side and our side is that seasoned competitive vets are on our side, and relatively new guys are on your side.
I'm a bit confused. Do we base whether we ban things on the ratio of how many seasoned players think they're broken to how many don't?

At some level, it's not just the opinion of seasoned players. They have to base their judgments on the theory of whether something is broken, which is what I've been trying to debate.

You're right, though, that seasoned vets might be more able to discover parts of that theory that are hard for non-experienced players to see. My point, then, is that those parts haven't been really elucidated by the veterans posting here so far (see below for what I mean).

One of the reasons why is that there hasn't been a concise definition for how we ban things. While I understand that I have the burden of proof to show that infinites should be banned, the prerequisite is a static list of criteria on which we judge whether something should be banned:

-There must be a definite list of non-contradictory standards to determine how we ban things.
-This list must not contradict previous norms we have used, that is, it must be consistent with what we have banned before (certain stages, stalling, items, etc).

That's only logical.

However, I haven't gotten a precise definition.

-You and others argue that there must be empirical tournament imbalances to see if something is broken / to judge whether to ban it.
-Yuna has stated that empirical results don't matter, so long as we know that it has the potential to win tournaments with use.
-AltF4Warrior, another mod, has stated that we don't need to see if it is broken at all:
Something doesn't have to be broken to be banned. It needs only be anti competitive.
Source: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173861&page=2
-KishPrime has stated that we ban things for various practical reasons, including scared TOs and a scrub mentality: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174784
-Etc, etc.

So whenever I try to show that infinites fall under one of these categories, the criteria continuously shifts and it becomes impossible for me to debate. That's why I'm getting so frustrated with this thread, and that's why I'm placing partial blame on you guys.

One last thing:

I've already quoted where M2K said that he (and ChuDat) thinks that Wobbling was broken, but Kish swooped in and claimed it didn't really matter what his opinion of the matter was so long as he didn't provide any actual argumentation.

I infer two things:

1) It doesn't matter how many seasoned pros are on your side; what you need are arguments and evidence. Following that, then, we're debating on a theoretical level and not an authoritative level.

2) The general consensus on infinites is not shared by all of the seasoned competitors, so, even if the people arguing against me have been seasoned, it doesn't mean that every seasoned competitor thinks that way.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Honestly, this futile bickering doesn't belong in Tactical discussion. This is where we get stuff done. Keep the whining in General disc, please.

I mean it's not like we haven't had this discussion thousands of times before, and its not like this is the first game to have infinites. Many other fighting games have have infinites and death combos and they are still widely played and widely enjoyed.
(Examples: MVC2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear XX, Hokuto no Ken, Tekken 5, Smash 64, and Melee just to name a few.)

In those games, infinites play a far greater role in the game and those games still manage to be extremely deep and competitive. Why? Because instead of whining about how infinites are broken, or unfair or whatever, people learn to A) avoid the infinite in the first place, which is always possible, or B) use an infinite first if it's that big a deal.

The infinites in Brawl are very few and are no where near game breaking.
Many people have already posted ways in which you can avoid the Ice Climbers infinite by simply spacing well or killing Nana, and with good spacing you can avoid the DDD infinite too (with those five characters that it actually works on). Brawl infinites really aren't a big deal.

The OP argues that infinites ruin competition because for the duration of the infinite, you have no control, no defensive options. Honestly though, this is applicable for any strong attack.

If you get hit by DeDeDe's fsmash at 60%, chances are, you're going to die. No defense or DI can save you as you sail to your death, especially if you're using a light character. But you only have to worry about that if you get hit by the fsmash. Should we ban the fsmash for getting easy kills when it lands?
If you're using Pit and you get hit by something during your up-b, chances are, your going to lose that stock, often at low percents. Should we have a rule against hitting Pit during his up-b?

Sure you can't do anything to escape an infinite once you get caught in it, but then you can't escape any attack once you get hit by it. The trick is to not get caught it in. This applies to every attack in EVERY fighting game. The only fighting game where you can stop combos mid way is Guilty Gear with Bursts, and you can only do that when your burst gauge is full.

Let's look at a non-video game example. Mike Tyson has extreme knock out power with his upper cuts. If his right uppercut connects with your jaw, you can kiss the fight good bye. So should his uppercut have been banned? No. Lennox Lewis, Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield and the other guys who beat Tyson will tell to simply avoid it and knock his *** out first.

Andy Roddick has the fastest serve in tennis history (155 mph I think). That serve is essentially not returnable. Should his serve be banned for being too good? No. Roger Federer, Raphael Nadal, and the other guys who whoop Roddick regularly will tell you to ace his *** on YOUr service games and win the tie break.

The same thing applies to all fighting games as well as Brawl. Don't whine about something because it beats you if you can avoid it or counter it. The infinites in Brawl are particularly avoidable and not in any way game breaking.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
You're kidding right?
No.

My OP tried to cover several different reasons for why we ban things (as in, I was looking for common justifications for banning stuff and then tried to meet them).

A lot of people answered with: that's not why or how we ban things.

So I'm looking for a stable criteria that people agree on.

I don't think that's hard to understand.

Grunt

Smash Master
from the first couple of pages people have been saying, "once you have to play as x character or lose."
So far this has not happened.
I'm sorry if you don't agree with it, but you can't go and kill people because you don't agree that it should be a crime. It's been this way for many many years, and it will not change.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did you read my post, or did you just quote something again without bothering to go through what I said?

I said my responses to you were overly harsh and apologized, so you... quoted my responses to you to say they were overly harsh?
It was in response to you asking why people think you're a hothead. I presented things you had yourself said in this very thread to show you why people think that.

Let's just drop it, I certainly did despite that I still think my arguments stand. You probably feel the same exact way, which is why we're not getting anywhere.
No it doesn't. Stalling is not the same thing as infinites. We've told you why already. Infinites that work only on a select few and those that have a lot of requirements and that can be easily avoided are likewise not broken enough for a ban.

EDIT: Also, another reason why I'm dropping it is because I've heard like 7 different reasons (some conflicting, some not) from different Smash directors and mods for why we ban things in tournaments. It's really hard to argue for banning something when you don't have a precise criteria to work off of.
We gave you a whole bunch of reasons, none of them conflicting. If you sit down and read through all of them, you'll see that none of them are mutually exclusive. The fact that you either intentionally or just bullheadedly refuse to understand why stalling =/= infinites does not make it logical.

EDIT 2: I already explained why I didn't respond to Mookierah, but I guess that went unread. I assumed that Mookie did not read the thread, because he made arguments that were previously made and refuted. I thought it was a safer assumption than assuming he was ignorant or that he lacked reading comprehension, because he seems like a smart guy. I'm just not going to bother telling him why he's wrong if he didn't bother reading more than just my first post in the first place.
His arguments were never refuted! You repeatedly saying "I've refuted these arguments!" does not make it so, especially when no one with actual tournament experience and insight into Competitive fighting games and how they work agree with you!

You missed my point. My point is that whether or not it was intentional it doesn't matter. I even said that the competitive scene of smash was more than likely unintentional to Sakurai. If your argument is to only do things based on creator's intent, then you should just stop posting on the boards about tournament stuff and play casually the rest of your life.
Which, surprise, surprise, is exactly what I said.

Niko_K

Smash Master
This thread is going no where. Though everyone must hear this legendary story.

Let's kill this thread.

A friend and I were walking home from school today,and we went to cross the street and the cars started coming. But then ShortBus saved us. We caught up with ShortBus to thank the driver. We then found out the driver was EFG himself! (picture below)

I became kind of scared as the last time I saw EFG he, well, failed. I took a look in the back of ShortBus and saw every single 4chan meme in the internet.

Shortbus is Short.

ShortBus = New Meme
Lulz

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
It was in response to you asking why people think you're a hothead. I presented things you had yourself said in this very thread to show you why people think that.
Fine. Point taken.

No it doesn't. Stalling is not the same thing as infinites. We've told you why already. Infinites that work only on a select few and those that have a lot of requirements and that can be easily avoided are likewise not broken enough for a ban.
A few things:

You could not say the sentence "No it doesn't" to anything I said in what you quoted. Go ahead and try, take every sentence in what you quoted and say "No it doesn't" after it. It doesn't make sense. You've been proving in several posts my growing fear that you don't actually read the things you quote at all.

Next, where in that post did I even mention stalling? I said we should stop arguing because we're not getting anywhere. You clearly did not read what you quoted, but you decided to respond to it anyway. And you wonder why I hate arguing against you.

Last, I've already explained why I mentioned stalling. I used stalling as an example of what we have banned in the past that doesn't fit into your definition of why we ban things. It was used to disprove your argument, it wasn't used to equate to infinites. I've said this three times now.

We gave you a whole bunch of reasons, none of them conflicting. If you sit down and read through all of them, you'll see that none of them are mutually exclusive. The fact that you either intentionally or just bullheadedly refuse to understand why stalling =/= infinites does not make it logical.
Read my list above of conflicting reasons that I've seen so far from mods on why we ban things.

His arguments were never refuted! You repeatedly saying "I've refuted these arguments!" does not make it so, especially when no one with actual tournament experience and insight into Competitive fighting games and how they work agree with you!
1) Read above for the part about the part after "especially."

2)He argued in his first post:
That I was complaining
-I've written to responses to why a reasoned argument =/= complaining in this thread

That it hasn't broken tournaments
-Lol, you have a bad memory if you think I haven't tried responding to this yet.

That competitive smashers don't care
-See above.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm a bit confused. Do we base whether we ban things on the ratio of how many seasoned players think they're broken to how many don't?

At some level, it's not just the opinion of seasoned players. They have to base their judgments on the theory of whether something is broken, which is what I've been trying to debate.
We're saying that people with actual experience and insight with Competitive videogaming in general and Competitive Smash in particular are on "our" side. We've played the game, we've seen how it works, we know what's "too broken" and what isn't.

You're right, though, that seasoned vets might be more able to discover parts of that theory that are hard for non-experienced players to see. My point, then, is that those parts haven't been really elucidated by the veterans posting here so far (see below for what I mean).
We have. You just "refute" them and them ignore them.

One of the reasons why is that there hasn't been a concise definition for how we ban things. While I understand that I have the burden of proof to show that infinites should be banned, the prerequisite is a static list of criteria on which we judge whether something should be banned:
There have been. We have repeated them many times. You ignoring it does not make it non-existent.

These are the criteria, which I have pointed out at least 5 times in response to your posts:
* Must constitute a win in a such a way it's virtually impossible to win against it once it has begun.
* Must work against everyone or at least a vast majority of the cast
* Must have no set-ups or requirements or at least set-ups and requirements that are very easy and common to come across (as in "Works on almost all stages).
* Must limit the viable characters against it to a very select few.

When we say "It has yet to win tournaments", it's because, well, it hasn't. We have not logically deduced that it'll crush all opposition based on analysis of the metagame. And we have yet to see it crush any opposition either. We have seen stalling win in a way which makes it impossible to win once it's started, so any stalling that's an infinite stall that doesn't let your opponent touch you unless they play as a select few characters (like those with multiple jumps and glides) must be banned.

-There must be a definite list of non-contradictory standards to determine how we ban things.
-This list must not contradict previous norms we have used, that is, it must be consistent with what we have banned before (certain stages, stalling, items, etc).
There is and it is.

However, I haven't gotten a precise definition.
You have.

-You and others argue that there must be empirical tournament imbalances to see if something is broken / to judge whether to ban it.
-Yuna has stated that empirical results don't matter, so long as we know that it has the potential to win tournaments with use.
I never said "doesn't matter". I said "not necessary".

Infinite stalling has been seen as game-breaking already. Each time a new infinite stall which is obviously non-combattable is found out, we do not need it to win tournaments before we ban it since we can just look at it and go "It works exactly the same as this already banned thing".

-AltF4Warrior, another mod, has stated that we don't need to see if it is broken at all: Source: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173861&page=2
-KishPrime has stated that we ban things for various practical reasons, including scared TOs and a scrub mentality: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174784
-Etc, etc.
AltF4Warrior probably meant "things do not always have to be thouroughly broken (as in limiting the amount of playable characters to 5 or something) to be broken, it just have to be highly anti-competitive (as in limiting the amount of viable strategies and playstyles to, like, 2). But if he doesn't, then, well, one man made one mistake? Wow! Our argument is shot now!

KishPrime said that some things have been banned for practical reasons. He was explaining why Wobbling was banned in the first place (it has since been unbanned.

So whenever I try to show that infinites fall under one of these categories, the criteria continuously shifts and it becomes impossible for me to debate. That's why I'm getting so frustrated with this thread, and that's why I'm placing partial blame on you guys.
Infinites must fall under almost all of these categories. Just one of them or two of them is not enough.

I've already quoted where M2K said that he (and ChuDat) thinks that Wobbling was broken, but Kish swooped in and claimed it didn't really matter what his opinion of the matter was so long as he didn't provide any actual argumentation.
Well, here we actually have a case of two high-level players disagreeing.

1) It doesn't matter how many seasoned pros are on your side; what you need are arguments and evidence. Following that, then, we're debating on a theoretical level and not an authoritative level.
We have arguments and evidence. You do not. You claiming you do and we don't does not make it so.

2) The general consensus on infinites is not shared by all of the seasoned competitors, so, even if the people arguing against me have been seasoned, it doesn't mean that every seasoned competitor thinks that way.
It's shared by a vast majority.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You could not say the sentence "No it doesn't" to anything I said in what you quoted. Go ahead and try, take every sentence in what you quoted and say "No it doesn't" after it. It doesn't make sense. You've been proving in several posts my growing fear that you don't actually read the things you quote at all.
I provided actual motivations for why what you say isn't true. I never just say "No it doesn't" (well, not in this thread at least).

Next, where in that post did I even mention stalling? I said we should stop arguing because we're not getting anywhere. You clearly did not read what you quoted, but you decided to respond to it anyway. And you wonder why I hate arguing against you.
Because you mentioned "conflicting" motivations and how your argument still stands and you've paraded around for more than 10 pages claiming you've "won" in some way because we were unable to motivate why stalling was banned.

Last, I've already explained why I mentioned stalling. I used stalling as an example of what we have banned in the past that doesn't fit into your definition of why we ban things. It was used to disprove your argument, it wasn't used to equate to infinites. I've said this three times now.
I never brought up stalling as an example. You did. You kept persisting that unless we can motivate why we banned stalling with criterae that do not fit banning infinites, then we have lost. Are you saying that since you have lost, your own arguments no longer matter?

It was used to equate to infinites. You kept comparing it to infinites! I kept saying "Once the stall starts, you lose, not the same with infinites", which you kept ignoring and spouting off "Like infinites!". You retconning yourself does not make it any less true.

2)He argued in his first post:
That I was complaining
-I've written to responses to why a reasoned argument =/= complaining in this thread

That it hasn't broken tournaments
-Lol, you have a bad memory if you think I haven't tried responding to this yet.
He also said other things. And, still, not refuted!

RDK

Smash Hero
No.

My OP tried to cover several different reasons for why we ban things (as in, I was looking for common justifications for banning stuff and then tried to meet them).

A lot of people answered with: that's not why or how we ban things.

So I'm looking for a stable criteria that people agree on.

I don't think that's hard to understand.
What are you not understanding about the IC infinite? It's not game-breaking. It can be countered, it can be escaped at low %'s, and if all else fails, it can be stopped by not getting grabbed.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Let me get this straight:

You quoted:

You responded to that quote with:

In no universe do your sentences respond to my statement.

and:

In no universe do your sentences respond to my statement.

Sorry, but that has to be clarified. You have to stop responding to posts within 30 seconds, because you consistently show that you don't put any time into actually reading what other people have to say.

And then you respond with:

I provided actual motivations for why what you say isn't true. I never just say "No it doesn't" (well, not in this thread at least).
Are you sure you quoted the right thing? I said we both think we're right which is why we're not getting anywhere. You responded with "No it doesn't." and then started talking about infinites.

Unless you made a mistake (which I'm really hoping for your sake) in quoting the wrong sentence, you really don't know what you're talking about. At this point, that fact is not even refutable.

Again, "No it doesn't." doesn't apply to any part of what I said, grammatically or logically. You clearly either did not understand what I was saying or you made a mistake.

Then this gem:

Because you mentioned "conflicting" motivations and how your argument still stands and you've paraded around for more than 10 pages claiming you've "won" in some way because we were unable to motivate why stalling was banned.
I might've mentioned that 10 pages ago, where your response would be appropriate. What you quoted does not claim that nor does it even come close. That's what I was arguing.

I didn't claim that I "won." I said that no one was able to give me a stable criteria for banning things that applied to what we already banned; that would only be a part of the progression of the argument. Please quote where I said I won for one sentence, let alone 10 pages. The only thing I claimed to have won was that no one could come up with a precise criteria, which is why the topic isn't even debatable for me anymore.

Lol, and then this bit:

I never brought up stalling as an example. You did. You kept persisting that unless we can motivate why we banned stalling with criterae that do not fit banning infinites, then we have lost. Are you saying that since you have lost, your own arguments no longer matter?
First: singular - criterion plural - criteria, sorry but you got me with competitiveness :laugh:

Next, why are you being defensive? I never accused you of bringing up stalling...

Next, I said that this argument cannot continue unless I had a non-changing standard for how we ban things. I never said that I won that infinites should be banned on that level, that would be the next step. I just said that unless I have criteria to go off of, I can't continue.

It was used to equate to infinites. You kept comparing it to infinites! I kept saying "Once the stall starts, you lose, not the same with infinites", which you kept ignoring and spouting off "Like infinites!". You retconning yourself does not make it any less true.
I never said stalling is banned so infinites should be banned, first off. Stalling was just used to show that your standards were wrong.

I'm sorry, could you please quote where I said "like infinites!" without providing an explanation?

You said:

"Stalling is worse because it has no prerequisites, you stall and win, which fits my standard"

I said:

"That's bogus, stalling has prerequisites to winning even though they are easier to attain than infinites."

That's not ignoring anything, Yuna. I might have been guilty of ignoring things, but you certainly have been as well. Please stop acting like you haven't.

He also said other things. And, still, not refuted!
Quote them from his first post and I'll tell you what I said before Mookie ever even posted.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Why, is it always a question of whether the IC chaingrabs should be banned, the ice climbers CG's are a infinate grab that involves quite a bit of skill in order to perform, and if someone takes the actual time to learn and use them they should be rewarded with the ability to use them. Besides some tournaments have alrealy put light bans on things like only 3 grabs in a row ect.

The only infinates that should be banned are ones that require no skill what so ever to do and are just a hanperence to the person faceing them. Example being Marth infanate grab release on ness and lucas. No skill required to grab tap a fast and grab again, completely broken and the only way to counter it is either camp on the edge of the stage or hope they screw up. This one should be banned and any other ones that might show up that are like or similar to this one

Someone mentioned also that most if not all stages are banned that have walls therefore many infinates don't even come into play.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You: My argument still stands.
Me: No it doesn't. Your arguments have never stood and this is why *talks about stalling since you act like you "won" in that discussion*

Are you sure you quoted the right thing? I said we both think we're right which is why we're not getting anywhere. You responded with "No it doesn't." and then started talking about infinites.
Or maybe you should start reading what you're writing before responding. You also said "My argument still stands", which it really doesn't.

See above.

I might've mentioned that 10 pages ago, where your response would be appropriate. What you quoted does not claim that nor does it even come close. That's what I was arguing.
You have yet to say "Oh, you were right about stalling, after all". For days, we tried to reason with you on why stalling is not comparable to infinites, but you refused to even listen to our arguments and kept repeatedly declaring victory over us.

What am I supposed to think? That you magically came to your senses and are now ready to admit defeat? Even though you just talking about how we've brought up "contradicting" reasons for why things are banned and whatnot?

I didn't claim that I "won." I said that no one was able to give me a stable criteria for banning things that applied to what we already banned; that would only be a part of the progression of the argument. Please quote where I said I won for one sentence, let alone 10 pages. The only thing I claimed to have won was that no one could come up with a precise criteria, which is why the topic isn't even debatable for me anymore.
You repeatedly said we're being hypocrites, inconsistent and contradictory on why stalling is banned and infinites are not even though we kept telling you why we weren't.

First: singular - criterion plural - criteria, sorry but you got me with competitiveness :laugh:
Wow. One spelling mistake as opposed to you repeating the same spelling mistake even though we pointed it out to you.

Next, why are you being defensive? I never accused you of bringing up stalling...
I guess I misread your post?

Next, I said that this argument cannot continue unless I had a non-changing standard for how we ban things. I never said that I won that infinites should be banned on that level, that would be the next step. I just said that unless I have criteria to go off of, I can't continue.
There you go again!

It's not changing! Maybe in the beginning, we didn't give you all of the reasons for why things are banned because we're only human and cannot remember every single thing at any given time. But even so, you couldn't even motivate why infinites should be banned even using the first incomplete few lists of reasons for why things are banned.

The later additions are in no way contradictory or mutually exclusive to the earlier reasons. They're complimentary. And they never changed. Things we forgot to mention were just later mentioned.

I never said stalling is banned so infinites should be banned, first off. Stalling was just used to show that your standards were wrong.
Funny, that's what most people thought you were saying.

I'm sorry, could you please quote where I said "like infinites!" without providing an explanation?
You kept saying that stalling isn't banned because of every single reason for why we mentioned things are banned are banned and that this somehow invalidated its ban and made us hypocrites and that it'd be logical to ban infinites for the same reasons.

"Stalling is worse because it has no prerequisites, you stall and win, which fits my standard"
Prerequisites = Ste-ups. You can stall at any time. If you're ahead, you win.

"That's bogus, stalling has prerequisites to winning even though they are easier to attain than infinites."
You cannot ever prevent stalling from occuring. Once you're behind, you have lost. You cannot in any way make a comeback as you won't be able to even toch your opponent. With infinites, if you play well enough, you can still win.

That's not ignoring anything, Yuna. I might have been guilty of ignoring things, but you certainly have been as well. Please stop acting like you haven't.
I ignore things only when I don't see them. You blatantly disregard things that work against you as you keep categorically ignoring them even when they're repeated over and over again.

Quote them from his first post and I'll tell you what I said before Mookie ever even posted.
Why? You won't listen, anyway. You will just say "I have refuted it!" even though we do not agree you've refuted anything.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
The question was "Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?"

This should have ended when it was stated that infinites are allowed because there are no walls in tournament-legal stages.

If there is. What do you do?

Don't get near the wall <_< If he tries pressuring you to the wall, you get out of the way pressure him to the wall. Fire with fire, I say. Playing Melee or Brawl isn't ALL brainpower, you know...

If its a IC or DDD infinite, you are expected to get damaged, you know why? Because in a tournament they expect you to be up the expectations and be able to avoid something like that. If you can't avoid it, you need to learn, you need to become better.

Of course, there are times when it will happen even if you know whats happening, but knowing what your opponent is doing is better than being oblivious.

Seriously, this topic has gone sooo far...

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Yuna, I know you love to argue, but this is going no where. My post on the prior page already addressed why infinites in fighting games are not banned and why infinites in Brawl in particular are no where near ban worthy as they do not break the game in any way and are all avoided with bit of spacing.

My post was ignored. Patsie is now just parsing words and repeating himself.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
One clarification from an IC player before I start, I don't know the answer:

Can't you grab -> dthrow -> Nana fair -> regrab at low percents?

The only reason I'm bringing it up is because I was under the impression you could do that before starting the reverse ICG to avoid it being DI'd out of.

Honestly, this futile bickering doesn't belong in Tactical discussion. This is where we get stuff done. Keep the whining in General disc, please.

I mean it's not like we haven't had this discussion thousands of times before, and its not like this is the first game to have infinites. Many other fighting games have have infinites and death combos and they are still widely played and widely enjoyed.
(Examples: MVC2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear XX, Hokuto no Ken, Tekken 5, Smash 64, and Melee just to name a few.)
I understand this isn't the first game to have infinites.

I'm also not saying that, because of infinites, we should stop playing Brawl.

However, I think that, in any sort of competition, you need to limit the scale and scope of what you're presented with to provide an even playing field for your competitors. A prerequisite to competition is a fair starting ground. I'll admit, it's impossible to completely even the playing ground, especially when working within certain boundaries (like the mechanics of a video game). That's just a preface, onto your argument:

In those games, infinites play a far greater role in the game and those games still manage to be extremely deep and competitive. Why? Because instead of whining about how infinites are broken, or unfair or whatever, people learn to A) avoid the infinite in the first place, which is always possible, or B) use an infinite first if it's that big a deal.
Well, I actually answered point A in the OP and in several other posts. Read the rest of the thread if you want an answer. I'm not saying don't answer me, because I'm clearly not infallable, but if I've already countered the argument beforehand you've gotta come up with a response. (PS: It's not like all people do is complain about the infinites and quit. I argue against infinites while improving my spacing, etc, to try to avoid them more. The two aren't mutually exclusive).

I honestly don't know much about those games so it's hard for me to engage you on the actual mechanics of them. But I would say that first, telling people to use infinites first, in this case, would be extremely limiting. The list of characters that can infinite regardless of situation consists of two people (or, if you consider the characters it can be used on a situation, one character: ICs). The majority of the cast can't simply infinite first, unless everyone rolls with the Climbers. This clearly isn't going to happen.

But second, in this game at least, we choose to limit certain things despite the fact that the game would still be fairly competitive with them. If we left certain stages on, the game would be a bit less competitive, but it wouldn't ruin the competitive aspect of the game; you've still got two people fighting against each other, with their inputs determining the outcome of the game. If we allowed items, the game would be a lot less competitive, but competitive aspects would still exist. My point is this: those games might have been competitive with infinites, but could we make them more competitive by taking them out? My argument is that Smash could.

You have brought up an interesting conundrum though, at least to me, and I'm not sure how to answer it yet:

At what point is a ban too limiting? It's hard to find the perfect balance of limitations and competitive stuff in a fighting game. If we put items back in, the game clearly isn't competitive enough. If we ban everything except FD and ditto matches only, the game is way too limited, although that's where we might see the most even ground in terms of skill.

The only thing I could think of for now is that banning infinites wouldn't really harm Brawl's metagame too much. We wouldn't be banning moves from movesets, just very specific applications of moves. It's not very limiting, although I could be wrong. As I said, it's a good point.

The infinites in Brawl are very few and are no where near game breaking.
Many people have already posted ways in which you can avoid the Ice Climbers infinite by simply spacing well or killing Nana, and with good spacing you can avoid the DDD infinite too (with those five characters that it actually works on). Brawl infinites really aren't a big deal.

The OP argues that infinites ruin competition because for the duration of the infinite, you have no control, no defensive options. Honestly though, this is applicable for any strong attack.

If you get hit by DeDeDe's fsmash at 60%, chances are, you're going to die. No defense or DI can save you as you sail to your death, especially if you're using a light character. But you only have to worry about that if you get hit by the fsmash. Should we ban the fsmash for getting easy kills when it lands?
If you're using Pit and you get hit by something during your up-b, chances are, your going to lose that stock, often at low percents. Should we have a rule against hitting Pit during his up-b?
Again, the "don't get grabbed" thing was discussed a lot previously, so read that and respond.

Your second point is good though, but I think that you missed the point.

Infinites are good because they can be an instant kill, but that's not the reason I claim that they're broken or anticompetitive or whatever. I never meant to claim that someone was overpowered if it killed you. Obviously, kills are inevitable in a fighting game, I couldn't make that claim.

But there is a distinct difference between infinites and killing blows. Killing blows are the result of competitive play, you have to actually engage your opponent to even get to that point.

Infinites aren't. On one level, as I said in the OP, you're playing a one-player game. Your opponent can't do anything while you sit and press certain button combinations to get a win. I argued that, ultimately, that doesn't make it a fighting game because it is strictly anti-competitive (that is, competition doesn't even factor into the equation).

On another level, the move is, in comparison to the rest of the cast, so much better in terms of damage and killing ability that it doesn't provide for a fair playing ground. I think that fits in with your other fighters example; there have been characters to possess move(s) so effective compared to other people that the character is just outright banned. We don't even have to do that in Smash, we just have to ban the technique from occuring.

Let's look at a non-video game example. Mike Tyson has extreme knock out power with his upper cuts. If his right uppercut connects with your jaw, you can kiss the fight good bye. So should his uppercut have been banned? No. Lennox Lewis, Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield and the other guys who beat Tyson will tell to simply avoid it and knock his *** out first.

Andy Roddick has the fastest serve in tennis history (155 mph I think). That serve is essentially not returnable. Should his serve be banned for being too good? No. Roger Federer, Raphael Nadal, and the other guys who whoop Roddick regularly will tell you to ace his *** on YOUr service games and win the tie break.

The same thing applies to all fighting games as well as Brawl. Don't whine about something because it beats you if you can avoid it or counter it. The infinites in Brawl are particularly avoidable and not in any way game breaking.
Those are clever examples, however, I don't think they apply.

I'm just going off of our previous history with banning things to justify this, because I think those standards are still important.

When other fighting games ban characters outright, their moves are avoidable. They don't come into the game with a win, the just enter the match with such a large advantage that people banned the character for more competitivity. It would be as if boxing set a limit on how strong someone could be before entering the ring (which is why I'm saying fighting games don't function like boxing/tennis).

When stalling was banned in Melee, you could avoid getting above a higher % than JigglyPuff before he could stall. It was still banned though because JP still had a huge advantage upon entering the match.

Basically: in fighting games, we have a history of not only banning things because they are unavoidable, but we also ban avoidable things because they are incredibly unfair.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Not wall infinites. IC and DDD infinites. No wall needed.
And? Are they avoidable with a little work? Yes.
We've already gone through this. The IC infinite is easily avoided with good spacing and/or killing Nana and it doesn't even work at all percents.

The DDD infinite is only infinite without a wall against 5 characters. And all five of them can avoid it with good spacing.

You know how people in this thread have been saying "Don't get grabbed"? It really is possible. By using long range attacks such as DK's bair or f-tilt and jumping frequently or by jumping so that you land behind the opponent, you can avoid being grabbed. Try it before you complain about it.

Grunt

Smash Master
*once again not saying anything about my answers*
i guess what Yuna said about your selective hearing was right.

I've given you criteria when you outright asked for it, and, since it destroys your entire reason for making this thread, you ignore it.

Patsie said:
Basically: in fighting games, we have a history of not only banning things because they are unavoidable, but we also ban avoidable things because they are incredibly unfair.
You are so wrong.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
My post was ignored.
ORLY?

My bad, I'm at work, it's not easy writing this much while pretending like you're doing your job.

There will be times where I can't respond to posts.

Also, I agree, the discussion has been going in circles and should probably end, but I'm stubborn. Not as stubborn as Yuna is though, **** he knows how to keep going.

RDK

Smash Hero
And? Are they avoidable with a little work? Yes.
We've already gone through this. The IC infinite is easily avoided with good spacing and/or killing Nana and it doesn't even work at all percents.

The DDD infinite is only infinite without a wall against 5 characters. And all five of them can avoid it with good spacing.

You know how people in this thread have been saying "Don't get grabbed"? It really is possible. By using long range attacks such as DK's bair or f-tilt and jumping frequently or by jumping so that you land behind the opponent, you can avoid being grabbed. Try it before you complain about it.
And even if you do happen to get grabbed, a DI'd aerial or a jab can sometimes break you out of it once they've started the infinite.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
i guess what Yuna said about your selective hearing was right.

I've given you criteria when you outright asked for it, and, since it destroys your entire reason for making this thread, you ignore it.
I'm sorry, I actually stopped looking at anything and everything you had to say because I didn't think that your consistent one-line responses to paragraphs of reasoning merited my attention. I also don't have time to respond within 5 minutes to three people asking me for responses.

And if you want me to respond to you in the future, don't do things like:

You are so wrong.
It's great to know that you think I'm wrong and all, but until you start giving justifications for your claims, you're the one that's wrong.

By the way:
You're awful at this game, I've seen BOCES candidates that can reason better than you, you have bad hygiene, you're ugly.

Since we don't have to prove any of the claims we make, all of those have to be correct, right?

:dizzy:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This is less a debate over the legality of infinites and more a debate over who's better at debating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom