• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Most people had the same arguments, and most of Yunas points were ignored. Grunt helped with one, and I helped Grunt with that argument, in hope that Patsie would answer. He didn't answer it.
I can't talk for Patsie and say why he did or didn't do something. I can only say that he's an excellent debater, and probably had reasons for not addressing Grunt or you directly.

Items are banned from almost all tournaments, with the exclusion of the ISP tournaments, when/if they every pop up.

Stages aren't playable in the sense of controllability. It's not like you can play AS a stage. Thus, stages have a different way of banning.

Characters and techniques are all under the same rules of banning. Banning is a last resort, and it's applied with certain rules, like the case of Akuma in Super Street Fighter II Turbo. One rule, which was the case with Akuma, is that if it's too good, then it most likely need a ban. Why did Akuma need a ban? Because he was virtually impossible to beat (virtually in the sense of a players skill), and was about 10 times better than EVERY CHARACTER in the game, according to Sirlins estimations. This case isn't like that, because it isn't (this is Grunts argument by the way) "Play character X or lose". If it were, it would be banned, which was the case of Akuma. Akuma was banned because it would eventually degenerate into Akuma vs. Akuma in every tournament. These infinites will hardly do that much damage to the competitive Smash scene, because you can avoid it, unlike losing against a good Akuma.
But this is exactly what I was talking about. There's no set of rules that tell why you ban or don't ban something. From my point of view, the contradiction between all of the pro-infinite debaters tell me that the rules are arbitrarily decided upon.

You totally missed my point about what I meant with not helping, by the way. I meant stuff like: Don't post like this etc. Those help sometimes, but not always.

Again, this was written in a haste, please ask me to clarify anything I wrote in this post.
I don't see nearly as many people making threads "Who wants to play me?! FC ****" since the one about the friend finder was stickied.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
I can't talk for Patsie and say why he did or didn't do something. I can only say that he's an excellent debater, and probably had reasons for not addressing Grunt or you directly.
What about Yunas unaddressed points then? Or are those 'okay' to skip somehow? Reason or no reason, he debated with Yuna but ignored some points, and that shouldn't be overlooked.

But this is exactly what I was talking about. There's no set of rules that tell why you ban or don't ban something. From my point of view, the contradiction between all of the pro-infinite debaters tell me that the rules are arbitrarily decided upon.
The banning rules aren't lucid, they are more or less set in stone, but if you don't know those rules, then they might seem a bit random. But that's only if you don't know these rules, and just assume you can ban something that isn't really ban-needed. Read this, and then you know what criteria a technique/character must fulfill in order to receive a ban, more or less.

I don't see nearly as many people making threads "Who wants to play me?! FC ****" since the one about the friend finder was stickied.
You missed my point... again... and I don't care anymore.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What about Yunas unaddressed points then? Or are those 'okay' to skip somehow? Reason or no reason, he debated with Yuna but ignored some points, and that shouldn't be overlooked.
And Yuna apparently ignored some of his points.

The banning rules aren't lucid, they are more or less set in stone, but if you don't know those rules, then they might seem a bit random. But that's only if you don't know these rules, and just assume you can ban something that isn't really ban-needed. Read this, and then you know what criteria a technique/character must fulfill in order to receive a ban, more or less.
I'm not going to argue this again, that's not what I revisited this thread to do. I've read sirlin's guide, and I understand the basis on which he says things should be banned. I've also said that ddd's infinites fall under these categories, but was refuted, saying that it's only 5 characters.

Various people in this thread said that we don't ban because a technique is "too good", yet Akuma was banned for that very reason.

It's examples such as these that I'm talking about. Inconsistency is hard to argue against.

You missed my point... again... and I don't care anymore.
Then explain your point. You said "I don't see why this should be stickied. How often does stickying something help anything?", and I responded.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Akuma was banned for being broken. There was NOTHING you could do to stop him.

However in smash you don't get grabbed and problem solved.
vs Akuma = vs ddd with any of the 5 he can infinite. Both winnable matches, but both very unlikely. One's banned, the other's not.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Akuma changed the way SF was played. People always say Snake and MK are broken. No one says DDD is broken.
I've never said that ddd was broken. I've never said "use ddd or you lose". The ONLY reason that he's not broken is that he doesn't have an infinite on every character.

He still remains broken to the 5 who he can infinite because the match is nearly unwinnable.

If you have a response to this, take it to PMs plz. I already addressed this in the thread and was refuted. I don't want to repeat my same arguments.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
It was banned in several tournaments just like wobbling has been banned.
The ban was never universal. ask Ankoku or any other person with great melee knowledge.
Waveshining has been banned, it just isn't a universal ban like the stage bans.

Bowser, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Link, Luigi,, Mario, Marth, Ness, Peach, Samus, Sheik, Yoshi, Zelda.

Taken from smashwiki so I am not entirely sure about its accuracy.
however I am quite sure the IC's could be waveshined, traction was not the only factor.

Also my mistake on it being an infinite on everyone.

I believe the falling occurred in the PAL version (at least it did for Marth).

Speak for yourself.
I was indeed wrong about it being an infinite on everyone but I am not wrong about it being banned in several tournaments.

It was only banned in scrub tournaments, if it was ever banned, which I do not believe. It was only infinite on people who slid less than 10 ft on FD when not crouch canceling because on the rest fox could onlywaveshine them one way and he would run out of stage on stages without walls. Those with walls were all counterpick and could be stricken with a stage ban (e.g. rainbow cruise). In order for fox to waveshine someone infinitely, he had to be able to wavedash to the other side of their character while they were still in hitlag from the shine.

The falling did occur in the NTSC version of smash, and the following characters fell after they were shined: falco, fox, kirby, young link, pichu, pikachu, jigglypuff, mewtwo, g&w, and roy

These characters could not be waveshined.

The characters who slide less than 10 feet and who thus can be waveshined infinitely: Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, zelda, link, and peach. with poor reaction time, gannondorf and sheik could also be infinited, but it was really hard

Another thing, wobbling was banned at 1 out of the 5 major tournaments in 2007. check alphazealot's earlier post for the list of tournaments in which it was banned/allowed.

Call me out again, this was fun.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I do not remember any tournaments where waveshining was banned.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
This means you need to get betta at Brawlz!!
I don't understand why everyone believes that anti-infinite debaters are just whiners that are mad because someone used an infinite on us.

I've never been the victim of an infinite, neither has patsie. I've made threads suggesting methods or possible strategies around ddd's infinite because I accept that it won't be banned. I agree with the IC's infinite being viable because there are ways around it, but there aren't strategies around ddd's.

Patronizing posts like yours are what kill this forum. They're just insulting.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, let's take a look at the five characters in question.
Mario, Luigi, Samus, DK, Bowser.

Mario and Samus have good projectile games. Luigi has a decently ranged projectile. Bowser freaking breathes fire. The only character who's supposedly screwed is DK, who should avoid getting grabbed in the first place against anyone anyway. Why does Dedede have an auto-win matchup against these characters?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Okay, let's take a look at the five characters in question.
Mario, Luigi, Samus, DK, Bowser.

Mario and Samus have good projectile games. Luigi has a decently ranged projectile. Bowser freaking breathes fire. The only character who's supposedly screwed is DK, who should avoid getting grabbed in the first place against anyone anyway. Why does Dedede have an auto-win matchup against these characters?
Even playing a campy match is still dangerous. Your entire fight is centered around not getting grabbed, while still trying to KO him quicker than he can KO you. You have to play a flawless match because 1 mistake = 1 stock. Aerial attacks are shield grabbed, rolldodging is hazardous if the ddd guesses correctly, any remotely laggy attacks can't be used because of the ultimate lag punisher, and even if you DO manage to play flawlessly, what if you trip? Projectiles are safe, but that's ALL that's safe.

Of course the match is winnable, every match is. But this is too much of an uphill battle to even be considered a "bad" matchup; it's on a whole different level. God-forbid you intend to win a tournament with any of the 5. Counterpicked ddds galore.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It was only banned in scrub tournaments, if it was ever banned, which I do not believe.
I am not too sure about that, I had heard it had been banned in smaller tournaments (only a small amount) I am unsure about the large tournaments (I don't think they banned in large ones.

I already looked up the information concerning waveshining (since after all you did see the list I provided in my previous post) so no need.

Another thing, wobbling was banned at 1 out of the 5 major tournaments in 2007. check alphazealot's earlier post for the list of tournaments in which it was banned/allowed.
You misinterpret. When I mention that wobbling has been banned I did not mean that a majority of the tournaments had banned them.
Most tournaments had not banned wobbling but I am saying that a few tournaments had banned.
I am sure waveshining had been banned by some of the smaller tournaments probably prior to 2007.

Call me out again, this was fun.
Of course. My melee knowledge is not so great so I don't mind being corrected. ^_^

Edit: Yeah so I said I think ankoku has a knowledge on the melee history concerning the bans (least thats what i think anyway).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Even playing a campy match is still dangerous. Your entire fight is centered around not getting grabbed, while still trying to KO him quicker than he can KO you. You have to play a flawless match because 1 mistake = 1 stock. Aerial attacks are shield grabbed, rolldodging is hazardous if the ddd guesses correctly, any remotely laggy attacks can't be used because of the ultimate lag punisher, and even if you DO manage to play flawlessly, what if you trip? Projectiles are safe, but that's ALL that's safe.

Of course the match is winnable, every match is. But this is too much of an uphill battle to even be considered a "bad" matchup; it's on a whole different level. God-forbid you intend to win a tournament with any of the 5. Counterpicked ddds galore.
In Melee, I've played Peach vs Marth before. At a certain point it's not even funny calling that anything except a terrible matchup. The same can be said of Sheik vs approximately a quarter of the cast, since she can just chaingrab them from 0 to 80% or so, finish with a fair, and edgeguard because she happens to be one of the best characters at edgeguarding in the game.

Besides, this is Brawl. If you can't pick up more than one character you seriously need to refamiliarize yourself with your controller. And the matchup against someone counterpicking Dedede solely for the chaingrabs is definitely not "on a whole different level." I'd only be afraid of people who legitimately know how to use Dedede instead of just going for the "easy" matchup.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I counter this statement with Fox and Falco vs Marth in Melee. If Marth did his job he could chain grab the spacies to a high enough percent and land a tippered fsmash. This caused a huge upset within the melee community, and a lot of people hated it; however, the fox/falco vs Marth matchup wasn't even close to being unwinnable by the spacies.

I do concede to the fact that the 5 characters affected by the standing infinite aren't as good as D3 in most aspects, so that makes it really rough; although, I could see Samus being able to put up a very very good anti grab game.

One last point to make; three of these 5 characters aren't very good. I know that sounds lame, but survival of the fittest. If a good character makes 3 bad characters near unplayable and makes it hard for 2 good characters, then it's not like it wrecks the meta game. Keep in mind, we aren't trying to balance this game for all characters to be playable, as it's impossible for us to do that with tournament rules.

If you want to play the 5 characters listed, just have a top character as a backup and counter pick with one of the 5, that way you ensure to not be lamed out be D3.

GeekY

Smash Cadet
whooppieee.. .

just like GCII said commented on a post from youtube.

EDIT:

Shintroy:
In friendlies you can mix it up with chiangrabs but in tourneys.... for money....
you can be as cheap, campy, and spammy as you want.
If you dont someone else will.

getyourtournament:
Why can't more people understand this?

--GCII

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I counter this statement with Fox and Falco vs Marth in Melee. If Marth did his job he could chain grab the spacies to a high enough percent and land a tippered fsmash. This caused a huge upset within the melee community, and a lot of people hated it; however, the fox/falco vs Marth matchup wasn't even close to being unwinnable by the spacies.

I do concede to the fact that the 5 characters affected by the standing infinite aren't as good as D3 in most aspects, so that makes it really rough; although, I could see Samus being able to put up a very very good anti grab game.

One last point to make; three of these 5 characters aren't very good. I know that sounds lame, but survival of the fittest. If a good character makes 3 bad characters near unplayable and makes it hard for 2 good characters, then it's not like it wrecks the meta game. Keep in mind, we aren't trying to balance this game for all characters to be playable, as it's impossible for us to do that with tournament rules.

If you want to play the 5 characters listed, just have a top character as a backup and counter pick with one of the 5, that way you ensure to not be lamed out be D3.
Surely, the 3 bad characters you referred to are Mario, Samus, and Bowser.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
shadowlink, you missed the point of my last post. waveshining was infinite on 5 characters, just like the DDD chaingrab. It wasn't banned, and neither will the DDD grab. Thanks for quoting the part of my post that was most important as

snip

VagrantLest

Smash Cadet
A lot of you guys seem to forget that Brawl isn't the only game played competitively. There are lots of fighters in which certain charcters are completely banned because of broken tactics.

Be glad that in brawl the main idea is to ban the tactic, not the character.

Character matchups are one thing, but when a tactic, such as an infinite, completely elimiantes the other character's ability to react, then it is broken and must be removed. That's the simple law of competitive gaming.

The best player should win. That simple. While its true that in any occasion, a lesser player can do the unnexpected and snag victory, thent hat means that, at that moment, he was the better player.

But if that victory is grabbed by using a broken tactic that removed the other player's ability to respond, then that tactic should be removed because it's essentially cheating.

The OP had it right. To win, you need to prove that you are capable of outplaying your oponent, not that you are capable of inputing a series of commands to the CPU that will always result in victory against any player regardless of skill.
I'm not sure if this post of yours was addressed in this thread yet but I feel obliged to speak up. What games are you talking about? You say that other games just ban characters but that is complete BS. Prove it.

In Street Fighter 2 Akuma is banned. Akuma is banned because he is a hidden secret boss character who is there just to impress people with his power. He is not meant to be played competitively, he isn't part of the cast of Street Fighters. He is the uber powerful boss character that is supposed to be unbeatable. In Street Fighter 3 Gill is banned. He is banned for the same reasons as Akuma, hes not supposed to be there, he is a **** joke.

In Capcom vs SNK 2 Orochi Iori, Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma and God RUgal are banned. They are banned because they aren't in the Arcade. The only reason they are banned is because the community for that game uses consoles and Arcade in various tournaments, and they arent in both. "My main team is Ryu Evil Ryu and Shin Akuma cool huh!?" "Ya but our match is on the arcade, you cant pick them, they arent there.." "I lost to Orochi Iori because I didnt know how fast he is. I only play in the arcades and hes not there, how would I know?" Makes sense right?

Really though in other games characters have only been banned because they are super boss characters that are there for the kids at home to play around with. They are meant to be 5 X better because they arent supposed to be played seriously. Brawl has nothing that compares with that.

Awful matchups exist in other games as well. If you are Zangeif and they are Guile, unless you are 2x as good as them in the matchup you will never get in. Screw having a chance at avoiding a grab so that you dont lose 1!!stock(1/3rd of your life) you will NEVER EVER get in. You wont hit them, you will never have a chance if they know what they are doing! Zangeif players beat guile players all the time though because they work harder to perfecting their gameplan in the matchup. And even if they plan so hard if someone playing guile planned almost as hard they will still lose. Awful matchups exist in all competitive fighting games, thats why there are other character you can pick in the beginning of the round.

One difference people need to look at is the things that are banned (stages and Items at times) are customizable options built into the game. When you try banning a character or tech you are admitting your game is bad and should probably be playing something else.

If DDD could grab DK and get rid of ALL of his stocks it still shouldnt be banned. Thats the way it is, you play to win so don't play DK if you are uncomfortable vs DDD or ICs.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
shadowlink, you missed the point of my last post. waveshining was infinite on 5 characters, just like the DDD chaingrab. It wasn't banned, and neither will the DDD grab. Thanks for quoting the part of my post that was most important as

snip
I wasn't being disrespectful, I snipped the post mainly since I didn't have much of a response for it. It makes no sense for my to quote the largest part of your post if I didn't have an argument for it.

I don't believe in DDD's grab being banned please don't push that idea as being my own. THat was someone else's.
Prickly pear much?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
In Melee, I've played Peach vs Marth before. At a certain point it's not even funny calling that anything except a terrible matchup. The same can be said of Sheik vs approximately a quarter of the cast, since she can just chaingrab them from 0 to 80% or so, finish with a fair, and edgeguard because she happens to be one of the best characters at edgeguarding in the game.

Besides, this is Brawl. If you can't pick up more than one character you seriously need to refamiliarize yourself with your controller. And the matchup against someone counterpicking Dedede solely for the chaingrabs is definitely not "on a whole different level." I'd only be afraid of people who legitimately know how to use Dedede instead of just going for the "easy" matchup.
Peach vs Marth wasn't = to ddd vs any of those 5. It was a bad matchup, but Marth had no 0 to death combos guaranteed from the first hit. And the only infinite in melee was wobbling, Shiek's opponent could still DI and try to throw her off. These are aspects of the ddd matchup that're similar, but not equal in degree to the ddd infinites or the difficulty of those matchups.

And of course there's always counterpicking. The fact is that these 5 now won't win tournaments because they have their ultimate counterpicks. Everytime you select any of those 5 against a smart player, they're always counterpick ddd because of how easy it'd be to score a win. And if this were Melee, I'd agree that playing someone going for the easy win wouldn't be a problem because someone solely going for grabs to get your stock are predictable and can be severely punished.

This isn't the case in Brawl.

Punishment is no where near as heavy as it was in Melee. If someone wants to rely on grabs to win a match, they can. The risks are much less than the rewards.

Exactly. In SF it WAS use Akuma or lose. Since it's NOT use DDD or lose there won't be a ban.
The intent of the posts that you're responding to are examples of how the rules for banning were inconsistent, not for why ddd should be banned. I don't think ddd should be banned, I think that the infinite should be banned because it creates that kind of "Pick X or lose" game for mains of those 5. None of them can win a tournament because of the infinite.

Indeed, but this was a very different matchup. DI is still a factor during Marth's CG, and the spacing has to be perfect for a tipper. The reflex, precision, and practice required to pull this off consistently against a good fox or falco was much more difficult than the ddd infinites. The fact is that this was just another con of the matchup for the spacies, but it wasn't a deciding factor of the match. A grab in that matchupd didn't mean the same as a grab in the ddd matchup.

I know its been said that difficulty is inconsequential (I don't know if you share this standpoint), but I believe it is. If the techniques in Perfect Control were as easy to perform as a shorthop, Melee's metagame would be completely different. Different things would be banned, other things wouldn't be, matchups would be different, different stages would be counterpicked, etc. The beauty of competitive gaming, sports, or anything competitive is that skill and practice is rewarded. If someone could perform ICs' infinite on me, I'd commend them for even catching me and maintaining the grab long enough to kill me. ddd's infinite takes no where near as much practice and dedication to learn.

Fox and Falco had much more to work with than the 5 vs ddd. There's no strategy that goes along with "don't get grabbed". As I said, I have no problem with the IC infinite because there are plenty of viable strategies around it. There's no such thing for this matchup.

True, 3 of them haven't shown much promise in the competitive scene, and balancing this game with tournament rules aren't the goal, but also keep in mind that the infinite removes them from tournament play altogether. These 5 can't win tournaments like Jiggs or ICs could in melee, even though they're at about the same areas on the tier list. These 5 have ultimate counterpicks. It's either ban the infinite, or ban the 5 characters for tournament play. And if we were to keep the infinite, then we will be banning it either way because how often will they use it in tournament play? They'd eventually never come up against those 5 either way because it'd be stupid to main them with any hopes of winning a tournament.

There's no point. Why use those 5 when you have a matchup like ddd? My backup would have a much better chance of winning.

Awful matchups exist in other games as well. If you are Zangeif and they are Guile, unless you are 2x as good as them in the matchup you will never get in. Screw having a chance at avoiding a grab so that you dont lose 1!!stock(1/3rd of your life) you will NEVER EVER get in. You wont hit them, you will never have a chance if they know what they are doing! Zangeif players beat guile players all the time though because they work harder to perfecting their gameplan in the matchup. And even if they plan so hard if someone playing guile planned almost as hard they will still lose. Awful matchups exist in all competitive fighting games, thats why there are other character you can pick in the beginning of the round.
SF =/= SSBB. Bad matchups are such for different reasons in each game because they're completely different games. The only reason SF was ever brought up in this thread was because of the similarities in reasons for banning. And sure, competitive games have bad matchups, but look at ddd vs any of the 5 without the infinite. It's no where near as one-sided. That one technique is what makes them so terrible that it's nearly impossible to win. Bad matchups in any other competitive game are such because of a variety of reasons, be it speed, comboability, weaker attacks, etc.

One difference people need to look at is the things that are banned (stages and Items at times) are customizable options built into the game. When you try banning a character or tech you are admitting your game is bad and should probably be playing something else.

If DDD could grab DK and get rid of ALL of his stocks it still shouldnt be banned. Thats the way it is, you play to win so don't play DK if you are uncomfortable vs DDD or ICs.
So when they tried to ban Akuma in Japan they were "admitting that their game is bad and should probably be playing something else"?

If ddd could get rid of all of DK's stocks with 1 grab, the tech would most definitely be banned. Discrete, enforceable, and certainly warranted. The idea that I'm trying to get everyone to see is that it may not be the characters that are bad, but the tech.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wait, it's impossible to win as those five characters? Is that why I see Ness getting top eight at a 50+ entrant tournament and a Luigi placing second? Are you speaking from experience or theorycraft that those five have no chance?

DD151

Smash Journeyman
And the only infinite in melee was wobbling, Shiek's opponent could still DI and try to throw her off. These are aspects of the ddd matchup that're similar, but not equal in degree to the ddd infinites or the difficulty of those matchups.
i'm sorry, do you even have experience in a vs. sheik matchup where your character can be chain grabbed? no competent sheik will ever mess up that chain grab no matter how random and funky your DI.

There's no strategy that goes along with "don't get grabbed". As I said, I have no problem with the IC infinite because there are plenty of viable strategies around it. There's no such thing for this matchup.
what

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Montage bans infinites at our tournaments. Infinites are banned in my smaller events I host myself.

They make the game even more terrible for competitive play.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Wait, it's impossible to win as those five characters? Is that why I see Ness getting top eight at a 50+ entrant tournament and a Luigi placing second? Are you speaking from experience or theorycraft that those five have no chance?
Obviously I have no way to refute that. Do you know the names of the Ness and Luigi?

i'm sorry, do you even have experience in a vs. sheik matchup where your character can be chain grabbed? no competent sheik will ever mess up that chain grab no matter how random and funky your DI.
First, this is a CG. The argument is on the 0 to death grabs that you lose control over the minute you're grabbed. Second, you can still act here. In ddd's infinites, DI isn't a factor. Even if the chance of escaping the CG is small, the fact that you can influence that is key. In ddd's infinites, you have to pray that they screw up their timing, because that's all you get.

VagrantLest

Smash Cadet
So when they tried to ban Akuma in Japan they were "admitting that their game is bad and should probably be playing something else"?

If ddd could get rid of all of DK's stocks with 1 grab, the tech would most definitely be banned. Discrete, enforceable, and certainly warranted. The idea that I'm trying to get everyone to see is that it may not be the characters that are bad, but the tech.

I think I had already stated that Smash has nothing even close to what Akuma is. Its a boss character made selectable for fan service. The fact that he isn't there to be balanced should be enough for you to realize the difference. Right now though I don't think it's a question of whether Brawl is a bad game as it clearly is sloppy, but as to whether or not you are prepared to accept it the way it is.

I didn't say it wouldn't be banned if DDD could grab DK and win the game, I'm saying it SHOULDN'T. Sadly though the Smash community appears to be made of 6 year olds at times banning everything that keeps their favorite character from being good. You are trying to make the game balanced for everyone and fun, and thats fine in your bedroom but that is NOT the nature of competitive play. WHO CARES if you can't play Ness seriously in a tournament? You don't seem to understand that how cool a character looks or what game he's from doesn't actually matter in terms of competition. It's PLAYABILITY and some characters playability are lower then others. Thats the first step to being good, choosing the character that will win you games, bad characters are there for fun, fan service and for bad people to make the wrong choice for a winning character. If you aren't picking your character to win then you shouldn't be entering tournaments, you should be playing in the corner with your friends.

And why the hell do people keep trying to separate Smash from the other games? Most games have different details but it is quite obvious that the concepts are the same between any 1 v 1 competitive fighting game.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
TOURNAMENT: AzOneTwoStep
LINK: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4700662
DATE: June 14, 2008
LOCALE: Southwest
ENTRANTS: 69
ENTRY: $20.00
RESULTS:
1 DSF (Snake)
2 Forward (Snake)
3 MaxxxPower (ROB)
4 SK92 (Falco)
5 DookDigity (Snake)
5 DannyKat (Marth)
7 Timotee (Wario/Ness)
7 Kashakunaki (Wolf)

TOURNAMENT: ender's games 9
LINK: http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=976
DATE: June 21, 2008
LOCALE: Pacific West
ENTRANTS: 70
ENTRY: $8
RESULTS:
1 Lucien (Fox)
2 Meep (Snake/Luigi)
3 CBK (Donkey Kong)
4 Zelgadis (King Dedede)
5 Hitori (ROB)
5 SideFX (Meta Knight)
7 Michael (Ice Climbers)
7 Sean (Meta Knight)

Why is there a DK placed directly above a Dedede? NOBODY KNOWS!!!

TOURNAMENT: MELEE-FC QUEST
LINK: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177239&page=6
DATE: June 21, 2008
LOCALE: Midwest
ENTRANTS: 22
ENTRY: $15.00
RESULTS:
1 Overswarm (ROB)
2 KishSquared (Bowser)
3 Joshu (King Dedede)
4 Tink (wario)
5 Kel (Meta Knight)
5 Ignatius (Meta Knight)
7 Blood Hawk (Lucario)
7 KirkQ (ROB)

WHOOO GO BOWSER :V :V :V Way to win against a Dedede in a best of 5
So much for autowin.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How would that work? Did Overswarm get knocked into loser's, or something?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
How would that work? Did Overswarm get knocked into loser's, or something?
That might have been the case. Joshu told me he did not play KishSquared. You can see the post in the results thread.

With infinites allowed, that match is 100/0. I don't see why you'd debate against infinites being ********. XD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I think I had already stated that Smash has nothing even close to what Akuma is. Its a boss character made selectable for fan service. The fact that he isn't there to be balanced should be enough for you to realize the difference. Right now though I don't think it's a question of whether Brawl is a bad game as it clearly is sloppy, but as to whether or not you are prepared to accept it the way it is.
Akuma has advantages that set him far apart from any of the other characters in the cast. ddd has a 1 hit KO attack. They may not be equal in how much of an advantage these characteristics give them, but both have outrageous advantages.

I didn't say it wouldn't be banned if DDD could grab DK and win the game, I'm saying it SHOULDN'T. Sadly though the Smash community appears to be made of 6 year olds at times banning everything that keeps their favorite character from being good. You are trying to make the game balanced for everyone and fun, and thats fine in your bedroom but that is NOT the nature of competitive play. WHO CARES if you can't play Ness seriously in a tournament? You don't seem to understand that how cool a character looks or what game he's from doesn't actually matter in terms of competition. It's PLAYABILITY and some characters playability are lower then others. Thats the first step to being good, choosing the character that will win you games, bad characters are there for fun, fan service and for bad people to make the wrong choice for a winning character. If you aren't picking your character to win then you shouldn't be entering tournaments, you should be playing in the corner with your friends.
First, I don't know where your acusations come from, because they're clearly fabricated. Second, I don't know why you belligerently decided to bring your hostility into civil discussion. I assure you, it's not needed.

No, I'm not trying to balance the game or keep the game "fun", I'm trying to understand why it's decided that 1 grab = 1 stock is acceptable. The fact is that 5 characters are unusable because of this. Why not take it out? It will end up eliminating itself either way because you'll never see those 5 in competitive play.

And why the hell do people keep trying to separate Smash from the other games? Most games have different details but it is quite obvious that the concepts are the same between any 1 v 1 competitive fighting game.
No, the concepts are not the same. Take a look at the health. There is no set percentage at which you die. Depending on your DI and what attacks your opponent uses, you could live well into 3 or 400%, or be killed as low as 12%. Stock is the only thing consistent and that's not even in your traditional competitive fighting game. One aspect of fighting games that's common in brawl as well as others like Street Fighter, is a variety of characters and fighting styles.

VagrantLest

Smash Cadet
Akuma has advantages that set him far apart from any of the other characters in the cast. ddd has a 1 hit KO attack. They may not be equal in how much of an advantage these characteristics give them, but both have outrageous advantages.

First, I don't know where your acusations come from, because they're clearly fabricated. Second, I don't know why you belligerently decided to bring your hostility into civil discussion. I assure you, it's not needed.

No, I'm not trying to balance the game or keep the game "fun", I'm trying to understand why it's decided that 1 grab = 1 stock is acceptable. The fact is that 5 characters are unusable because of this. Why not take it out? It will end up eliminating itself either way because you'll never see those 5 in competitive play.

No, the concepts are not the same. Take a look at the health. There is no set percentage at which you die. Depending on your DI and what attacks your opponent uses, you could live well into 3 or 400%, or be killed as low as 12%. Stock is the only thing consistent and that's not even in your traditional competitive fighting game. One aspect of fighting games that's common in brawl as well as others like Street Fighter, is a variety of characters and fighting styles.
The concepts of the game are spacing, approaching. Offensive and defensive actions, attacking your opponent until they are dead, mix ups, mind games and using your tools against your opponents'. Not percentage and playing on a platform which are merely the means.

And a grab= a stock loss is acceptable because:

1. You don't have to choose the characters this happens to at the select screen(the only real loss here being DK who many will point out to you is competitive regardless)

2. If you work hard enough you CAN avoid being grabbed, not 100% of the time, but enough to where you can achieve victory.(whats wrong with having to work harder than your opponent in some match ups? I'm sure your character has his advantages as well, otherwise you shouldn't be playing them)

3. Being grabbed at~ 80%+ makes it's ''infiniteness'' inconsequential.(thus you only actually have to avoid being grabbed for part of the match)

4. Banning too many non-customizable options is admitting your game is **** and should be playing a more "fair" game like rock paper scissors(which i love BTW).

Besides part of the points I'm arguing about was just that this doesn't happen in other games as the poster I responded to would lead you to believe.

And I'm not exactly fabricating these 'accusations,' you just give out a terribly non-competitive flavor in your posts.

I'll say it once again. Akuma is banned because he's not supposed to be played!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom