• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
If you want a game where every character is the same, play Mario Party.[/QUOTE]

lolz that is hilarious, if u r talking to me i m just saying that skill should come in to play when someone is trying to win, it takes skill to knock olimar off teh stage, it also takes skill to not get knocked of the stage

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It takes skill to get more than three iterations of an ICs infinite, and it also takes skill to avoid getting grabbed.

I'm not sure how much skill is involved in hitting someone with Snake's ftilt, though...

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
It takes skill to get more than three iterations of an ICs infinite, and it also takes skill to avoid getting grabbed.

I'm not sure how much skill is involved in hitting someone with Snake's ftilt, though...
ppl should have the skill to avoid snake's f-tilt, its called, doge, roll, shield, shield grab, projectile , better priority, etc, etc etc

also ankoku, enlighten me... What is a troll?

fkacyan

Smash Hero

Utilt is better because it's one hit and has the same hitbox!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
better priority
Excuse me?

Go unlock Snake, and get back to me when you do.

Wikipedia said:
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If you want a game where every character is the same, play Mario Party.
lolz that is hilarious, if u r talking to me i m just saying that skill should come in to play when someone is trying to win, it takes skill to knock olimar off teh stage, it also takes skill to not get knocked of the stage
It takes skill to get a grab on someone, and to avoid grabs, by that logic. Any good DK player is going to avoid getting grabbed by a Dedede, if he's going to attempt the matchup at all. Likewise, a good Olimar is hard to knock off the stage.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me?

Go unlock Snake, and get back to me when you do.
I defeated the game within the week it was released in the United States of America. Solid Snake's forward tilt does not have more priority than every other move in the game. Excuse me um Ms? Ankoku, Were u talking about snake's knee lock in which he can hit one with his knee several times and it is semi-hard to get out of?

is that better inui? :psycho

HunterxHunter owns naruto:

Inui

Banned via Warnings
if ppl have not noticed i have edited my previous post as instructed
But not this one and every other one.

YOU'RE SLACKING, KID.

lol @ "Ms. Ankoku"

Good Smash debaters are feminine online, I guess. Ankoku and Yuna ftw.

Oh, wait, Yuna's much more feminine in person. >_>;

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
lol @ "Ms. Ankoku"

Good Smash debaters are feminine online, I guess. Ankoku and Yuna ftw.

Oh, wait, Yuna's much more feminine in person. >_>;
I was talking about ankoku's avatar. I thought it was feminine.

I am having trouble reading your post, it hurts my eyes. What does ftw mean? Please enlighten me Inui.

Bleach owns Naruto.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
By that token I am a ridiculously sexy bounty hunter with a Metroid on her *** in real life.
I am sorry, it was my mistake. You trolls were making me get off topic. Next time, could people notify me whether to say Ms., Mrs., or Mr. That would be appreciated. Thank You. :(

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I am having trouble reading your post, it hurts my eyes. What does ftw mean? Please enlighten me Inui.

Bleach owns Naruto.
I type with proper grammar, so I don't know how it can hurt your eyes. "Ftw" stands for "for the win."

Bleach is indeed better than Naruto! Bleach is amazing!

Thiocyanide said:
By that token I am a ridiculously sexy bounty hunter with a Metroid on her *** in real life.
It's true. You're so sexy. ;)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I am sorry, it was my mistake. You trolls were making me get off topic. Next time, could people notify me whether to say Ms., Mrs., or Mr. That would be appreciated. Thank You. :(
Us 'trolls' understand that discussion on this thread is moving in a giant circle. Some of us actually put in effort prior to Mookie wtfpwning the thread.

Sadahara Inui said:
It's true. You're so sexy.
Even you can't deny it.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
I type with proper grammar, so I don't know how it can hurt your eyes. "Ftw" stands for "for the win."

Bleach is indeed better than Naruto! Bleach is amazing!

It's true. You're so sexy. ;)
It is good to see that people on smashboards have manga sense. You still have not answered my question Mr or Ms?:confused:

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
Mookie wtfpwning the thread? My eyes are hurting again wat duz tat mean?

sry 4 teh dbl post

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
Thank You for your input fat, lazy smasher guy. By the way, your grammar is incorrect. A comma should go between fat and lazy.

Anyone feel free to get this thread back on topic. Thanks

It is funny how one "troll" was able to destroy 4 pages of a thread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm a girl. See? Look at my girl emote.

=^_^=

That's clearly a girl emote.

....haha, I'm having trouble keeping a straight face as I type this.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It is a word that you do not know the definition of, meaning you probably should go read a book about how dangerous friendly the Internet can be.

Remember, we're all stalkers friends on the Internet, so don't give us your personal information feel free to tell us where you live!

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
I see strong cases to ban the Dedede infinites, which is why NJ tournies ban them.
o.0 Are you serious? Cuz my freaking area was allowing them up until recently.I live in N.Y btw.I stop playing in tournments up until 2 weeks ago when the ban was in full effect.They say they can tell the difference from a moving grab(chaingrabing) which is allowed from a stalling one and if 1-2 is preformed,your out. :laugh: They are pretty strict on that **** but I thought we were the only one.Were still east coast tho,they wont ban that in the west,go figure. :dizzy: :chuckle:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, let me get this straight. You're cool with all the infinites? I didn't read through your posts entirely, but I saw this:

"The ony universal rule for banning things (unless due to random bouts of scrubiness) is:
If something is "too good" as in so good that it breaks the game significantly, then it has to be banned."

hints at that for sure.
Being "cool" with them not being banned is not the same thing as "liking them existing" if that's what you think. I do not like the fact that they exist (I do not like a lot of things in Brawl). I would never personally do them myself because that's just not how I play Competitive fighting games. But I'll fight for their continued unbanned existence.

I see no reason to ban the Ice Climber infinite. I'll agree with you there. As long as it's not used to stall, it's fine. It's hard to get the grab with them in the first place, the infinite is hard to perform, it can't be done on certain stages, and it's situational in general.
It's not really that situational. "Flat ground, not right at the edge". Applies to the majority of stages unless you're on a platform.

Now, the Dedede infinites are ********. Dedede has the largest non-tether grab range in the game, and his grab is 6 frames. So...a gigantic 6 frame unblockable that can be done out of shield equalling instant death is okay? It's not even hard to do.
Ease of performance (technically) is inconsequential. That said, yes, DeDeDe's infinites are ********. They make 4 characters almost useless against him because they're just too good (on Bowser, it's a chaingrab). However, they do not break the game so significantly they must be banned.

Overpowered? Yes. Annoying? Yes. Shouldn't be there? Yes. But not bannable by the Principles of Competitive Fighting Game Banning, nonetheless.

Dedede on wall/walk-off stages against 2/3 the cast = lol 100/0. One grab is death. 6 frame gigantic unblockable that can be done out of shield = instant stock loss. That's okay?
No, it's not. And I support universally banning all walk-off stages and permanent wall stages (except for a select few which are "special", like Corneria since its wall is situational, you cannot grab someone from anywhere on Corneria and wall infinite them) for this very reason.

Walls/Walk-offs suck for competive play, period, imo. Dedede only makes them even worse with his infinites.
With one jillion kinds of locks, yes, they do. And I will universally ban them all at any tournament I have any influence over.

I see strong cases to ban the Dedede infinites, which is why NJ tournies ban them.
As in just against a wall, on walk-offs or at all (against the Cursed DeDeDe Five)?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Mookie wtfpwning the thread? My eyes are hurting again wat duz tat mean?
It meant that I posted a statement that was quoted over 6 times and even in other threads and it completely shut down any naysayers. The thread itself was in it's death throws until a few people who decided to ignore what I posted and brought it back to life. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. There has been nothing new added since, and heck, even what I said was sort of a broad collection of all of the arguments as to why infinites are allowed tied into a nice lil bow.

Oh yeah, I kinda think that the standing chain grabs are pretty lame. So I've actually learned how to do them, and I'm going to abuse them in the hopes that the community could use me as an example to think over what they should do about them.

Everyone against chaingrabs should read that 2nd paragraph over and over. Instead of *****ing about it, I'm trying to prove they are possibly a bit broken. I also stand to make a lil money by exploiting it, so win win XD. I should learn the IC infinite while I'm at it. I don't have much else to do after I'm off of work.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
Wow we are back on topic. And Yuna is back :-). Everyone please look at the original post before trolling like Yuna.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
No matter how much we look at it, the arguments aren't going to randomly become more valid or less refuted.
I have been trolling this whole time. Except for 1 or 2 posts but i am going to stop. My fun has been ruined by ankoku the predator. Cya

Btw i think people should just forget this thread.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have been trolling this whole time. Except for 1 or 2 posts but i am going to stop. My fun has been ruined by ankoku the predator. Cya
As if this wasn't obvious already. And also, as if you're not going to be punished for it, anyway, just because you're just now stopping. Trolling is against the rules and you're going to earn a few infractions.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
Has any body read all 62 pages? What ever. But one last question WHERE DID PATSIE GO, btw i was able to get like 3-4 pages off topic

sry lolz:(:urg:

Hey Yuna, how do u become a backroomer. Do u plan on becoming a mod?

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
This thread is just full of noob johns :-(.
This thread is full of noob excuses? That puts no input into the debate over infinites and chain grabs. Talk about something relevant or leave. I bet u have only read like one page of this debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom