• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I was doing some funny jab testing against Olimar awhile back. Nothing concrete yet, but single spaced Jab seems to have an interesting effect.
Define "interesting," MrEh.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
didnt see a single uptilt all set, instead you were trying to compete in the air and force fair/bair kills? i think you should stay grounded more and let uptilt opportunities come to you (because they will)

you were also doing a lot of needless double jumps, its a bad habit and its gonna get you caught offstage forced to use your upb, which is terrible for bowser (i know because i have the same habit xD)

i liked the grab release mixups though, i was really hoping to see a bowser bomb shield break or something awesome like that (i guess catching the kirby spotdodging with a grab release fsmash will do.......)

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Against characters with superior air...stuff, such as Kirby, it's probably better you stay grounded. And you weren't taking advantage of all the rolling that Kirby was doing from what I saw.

Just don't jump around a lot, and you have cool grab release mixups. You just need to F/UTilt more against Kirby when he's pressuring you and angle it.

And...be more careful about where you Bowser Bomb. You need to make sure you're aligned correctly with the ledge and don't hold down as you're going down. It applies to all characters, but when you hold down, you don't snap onto the ledge. And for a move/character that sends you straight down at an alarmingly fast speed...that's not good.

Flayl

Smash Hero
You don't really need to tell him that, it's the same with Yoshi's down B. He just needs to get used to the snap range.

(haven't seen the videos yet)

Flayl

Smash Hero
Great job Zigsta.

I like seeing MK's that think "abusing his lack of lag can replace good spacing" lose

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
My epic set with Deva's up!

Bear in mind I wasn't sure of Bowser's GR options on Link, so I just played it by ear. My first time fighting a legit Link, so if anyone has any pointers, I'm more than open to them.

vs. Deva (Link) 1 &2
vs. Deva (Link) 3

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I watched the video earlier. You honestly did fine, but there are two things I really cringed at everytime you did.

-Stop rolling. Simply put, everytime you rolled backwards, you could have just jumped back or even dashed backwards or something. Bowser's roll is really laggy and it's just...not worth doing, honestly.

-Spotdodging. It made me cry inside when you did it and lost the match (I forget which game it was, but I was like "****" when it happened.

Other than that, I saw improvement in that video. Even if it was Link, you seemed to have more control and flow as Bowser than you did when playing against Xyro. I'm impressed and proud of you.

If you knew more grab release options, it would have probably been a win for you, but don't sweat it. You did great for just winging it. You'll get it next time.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The rolling was all accidental, haha. I've been inputting rolls for some reason when I'm trying to input something else, typically Fortress.

I wanted spotdodge to Klaw too bad. :(

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah. And when you Klaw, I don't know if it's accidental or not, but you dash slightly before it. If you just flick side-b, there's a 90% chance that not only will you get your opponent because you'd be punishing them before they spotdodge, but you'll also input the Klaw ASAP.

Good stuff though. And I see you were trying jab followups but you didn't cancel fast enough or something. All in all you just gave Deva too much time to react or avoid your punishes. But, still, you did really well and I'm seeing great improvement.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Good matches vs Dev, but you upb'd so many grab opportunities which would have done more damage or took the stock.....just a thought

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I have a habit from my PT days of grabbing too often, and as a result, I feel a lot of my grabs are telegraphed. I'm working on messing around with pivot grab mixups to change that.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Videos from last night's fest were uploaded, too. Both of these MUs are ones where I'm not confident in at all--at this point I'd call them my two MUs I struggle the most in. I would REALLY appreciate critiques on these, guys.

vs. Poltergust (Shiek) 1
vs. Poltergust (Shiek) 2
vs. Poltergust (Shiek) 3
vs. Poltergust (Shiek) 4
vs. Poltergust (Shiek) 5
vs. Poltergust (Shiek) 6
vs. Poltergust (Shiek) 7

vs. Poltergust (Yoshi)
vs. Poltergust (Yoshi) 2

I know both of these MUs aren't in our favor, but I also know these aren't supposed to be death MUs by any means, according to the boards. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.

bigman40

Smash Master
It's where Yoshi's Neutral B can keep opponents from swallowing them. 1 frame after the normal grab hitbox is out, there's another grab hitbox that pulls in the enemy, but doesn't swallow them. It's gives us about 30 frames before the opponent can move. Mainly luck to land it.

Zigsta: you had some extremely unlucky moments cause that part of Egglay is not consistent at all to land. If you get any extra vids I can try helping you without those shenanigans lol.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Haha, yeah, Polt told me the first time he pulled that on me how ridiculously difficult that is to actually do, and then he did it again game 2. XD

We play every week to every other week whenever I have enough time to hold a fest. I should be able to host next week, so I'll see if I can get more vids.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Ok I was watching the Marth games, and I'm trying to figure out why you spent so much time on the ledge?

There were points where I was just wondering if you were going to press a button at all. You have to be a bit more faster off of the ledge, try to figure out your ledge options. Especially on an easy stage like Battlefield. You have ledgehop Klaw, which I saw you do (but to a FAir which made no sense)

You can ledgehop - >AD which I didn't see you do. That opens up a lot of options for Bowser and it also gets you off of the ledge. It seemed as though you really didn't know how to get past that. And if worst comes to worst you can just jump. I wouldn't recommend ledgerolling. Both of them are pretty bad.

You kept throwing out random smashes too. I'm assuming all of the upsmashes were failed uptilts or something, but all of those FSmashes were unneccesary and could have been replaced with better moves. Especially out of the grab release...you could have Klawed or FTilted or something. But FSmash? <_< (unless you were predicting a spotdodge or something) ALTHOUGH, there were points where you did land it and use it correctly for its drawback usage. It works wonders vs his FAir/FSmash/Shield Breaker (i forget which one you used it on)

So yeah, from the Marth videos, just work on:

-ledge options and advantages
-moves out of a grab release [i know you say you're working on it but still]
-lessen the smash usage, i know "BOWSER SMASH" sounds tempting but it doesn't get you anywhere
-just be overall faster, react more quickly and things like that, it just seems to me that you're still getting used to Bowser sort of, but it's understandable.
-learn the punish range for bowser (ie, when you can punish certain moves by just grabbing/dashgrab or klaw oos), grabbing usually puts bowser in a good position because it is a guarantee for a resetting of space, and allowing him to re-establish ground (and probably land damage), klaw in that same sense.

and specifically for the Marth MU, using FTilt^ is a pretty good key in the MU. just angle it up and be smart with it. you'll be fine.

I haven't watched the Wario matches yet but I will eventually.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, my ledge game is subpar at best right now, I find. Definitely my worst aspect of my game. It's what I've been working on the most since I bought my TV. That said, I haven't practiced enough to feel competent doing ledgehopped attacks consistently. I'll have it downpat for HOBO 29.

The GR fsmash I did because I told some of the guys I was gonna do it, haha. Only intentional upsmash was the first one.

I wanted to try out different stuff other than up angled ftilt, but it didn't work, haha. I'll just play more stationary against Marth from now on.

I really appreciate your critique, Limit. :)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Got a friendly set in with Espy over the weekend as well:

vs. Espy (Sonic) 1
vs. Espy (Sonic) 2

This is definitely a MU I'm still trying to get the hang of, as I've gone PT way more against Espy's Sonic in the past. I know we've got GR CG to Klaw, but I still don't have the timing down yet.

B!squick

Smash Master
Here are some vids of mine from NST IV.

vs. K-12 (Game & Watch)
vs. Edu (Sheik)
vs. Raw! (Snake)
vs. Arnold (Marth)
vs. Death Alex (Lucario)

Don't expect anything amazing. Don't even have time to watch them myself.
If anything, those vids are good at showing why most of Bowser's match-ups are an up hill battle. The number of mistakes you made were about as many as your opponents in each vid, save the Lucario one, and each one you barely lost. The Sheik vid was just brutal though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I clearly didn't know what I was supposed to do against Sheik and I messed up the death chaingrab :(

And I don't agree about the mistakes, I remember making mistakes that costed a lot more than the mistakes my opponent did, with exception for the suicide in the sheik vid.

Updated the OP. Also can you guys please stop hyperlinking your submissions, it's incredibly tedious to have to redo it all :/. If you are going to hyperlink it, do it exactly as I have done in the OP.

Top Bottom