• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

Seth you started off REALLY well. But you totally didn't take advantage of your grab opportunities. As Jay said, don't throw Lucas. Release the crap outta him and rip away.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Despite Jay's sarcasm...he's right.

Bowser is a character known for his grab release ****. You're defeating the whole purpose of using Bowser if you throw people. Especially Lucas. When you get an opportunity to grab, grab release (unless it's Yoshi or DK, but since you use him for Low Tier purposes you only have to worry about Yoshi). Don't miss out on it, because quite frankly there were a lot of missed opportunities, and you could have turned the match around with a few grabs. On a positive note, you did make good moves out of the throws, but vs. Lucas it's just much better if you grab release.

Like KJ said, you started off well and then I don't know what the **** happened. Just grab more. And DI better too, you died really early off of an FSmash during the first match I think. And you SD'd via Bowser Bomb. The range is a lot tighter when Bowser's facing you when he bombs (as in you can see Bowser's face). Well, it's not tighter but it seems to be a lot easier to die that way. I know it wasn't a holding down problem because you were just away from the ledge.

You need to cut out all of that dash > shield > spotdodge stuff too. Just dash and shield, or run or something. Don't roll either. Idk if it was a reaction issue or not but you also kept blindy running into PK fires. You gotta PS that stuff because it hurts your progress when you're trying to close in on Lucas.

You also need to stop Up-B'ing [reflexively?] I don't know if it's just a reflex problem or what, but everytime you used it except for 2 times I think in the first match, you not only missed, but also got punished for it. You really should only be Up-B'ing if Lucas hits your shield, and you have to move fast. Up-B isn't that...unpunishable of a move if you don't use it the right way.

OHH OHH ANOTHER THING:

Halberd. Uh, when the stage is "in flight", you had sooo many opportunities to just klaw shark that Lucas player. He was just chillin' in his shield on that platform and you didn't do anything. You just jumped right past him. When people are sitting like that, expecting you to UpSmash or react a certain way, don't give them room to breathe. Attack their shield, you have an aerial grab.

I think the key things you need to work on are just Grab releasing, Klaw usage, especially on places with platforms/shield happy opponents, and decreasing/improving your use of Up-B (at least make it OoS!!!!!!!)

With the offstage pressuring thing, where you'd BThrow and then try for multiple FAir gimps, you should have just timed one simple BAir. Around those times Lucas was usually at a low percent, but at other times it would have been more favorable, especially because BAir's hitbox is...idk, odd? He like...pokes his shell out. Sometimes I don't expect for it to hit and it does. lol

...And stop FSmashing randomly. Only use it when you know/are kinda sure it'll hit. The luck factor and risk-reward aren't that favorable for Bowser.

I would comment on Bowser Bomb usage but you did some pretty boss **** with it (shield break death and kill), so...yeah. I mean, for future reference don't use it constantly like that because smarter/more expecting opponents will take advantage of that, but great job with it, lmao.

I am Seth

Smash Lord
SP or Boone where all we smoke is christmas trees.
Wow. Thanks for responding guys. Brutal honesty is much appreciated.

I do need to work on the grab releases, and my bad habit of never grabing people (this has been a constant issue with me overall). I sorta just picked up Bowser cuz he's a boss but never really studied him hard. Guess I'll start reading the release thread.

Limit, thanks for the lengthy critique, I have a much better of understanding of Bowser's best usage.

I love bowser bomb. It wrecks. lol

B!squick

Smash Master
More then anything, your spacing was just... bad. Most of the time. I don't remember off the top of my head you getting punished for a random FSmash, which is fine, but as Limit said, you can't just spam UpB and not expect to be punished for it.

And just don't bother using Bowser's spot dodge unless you KNOW for sure you can get away with it. Like if they throw out a Falcon Punch or something. It's about as useful as Peach's air dodge.

Since Flayl surprising hasn't given a play by play I suppose I could do one...

0:05 - It's possible to shield grab Fortress, so becareful when randomly throwing them out.
0:11 - Nice double Klaw.
0:37 - Well, this random FSmash got punished. Though to be fair, I'm surprised it wiffed.
0:40 - And I'm really shocked that Klaw wiffed. Luck wasn't with you early in this match.
0:52 - Psst, Lucas is the other way.
0:56 - Bowser's spot dodge is bad news, son.
0:58 - You also air dodge, like, constantly. And always when you're near the ground. Unless you mix it up with... anything, it gets really predictable (which it does in this set).
1:06 - Ew. You ate 2 PKFires in a row. And PKFire is, like, the most telegraphed projectile in the game. :(
1:19 - More air dodging to the ground, more punished Bowser. Though your only option to avoid that PKT2 was... well, I'll be honest, I think you did what you could this time.
1:22 - Okay, what happened here? You got on stage and brought up your shield, all without getting hit by the PK Thunder somehow. Then you dropped your shield and... expected confetti to fly in the air?

Alright, I'm going to try to stop being so sarcastic now. It's not helpful. I'm sorry.

1:26 - When in doubt, Jab like your A button is broken! :D
1:32 - Great attempt to hog the ledge and great follow up. Klaw would have worked, too.
1:42 - Ouch. Well, even the best of us miss the ledge now and then. Not me though. I miss it all the time.
1:54 - Rolling is only ever so slightly above spot dodge with Bowser. And really, you shouldn't roll alot with most characters besides, say, Ganondorf and Lucario because it's faster than their respective run speeds.
1:59 - That actually called for an air dodge with that PKFire coming and whatnot.
2:00 - When you wiff a Fortress, the LAST thing you want to do is move toward, unless you go toward, then away. The idea is to finish the move in a way that wont result in you getting punished. Best case scenario in this instance, you hit Lucas, and he punishes you anyway because the knock back wouldn't have been enough to do you any good.
2:01 - At least air dodge away from him.
2:16 - Roll = bad, as said.
2:19 - There are some instances when it's okay to throw. Maybe your back is to the edge and you want to get them off stage with a BThrow. Maybe there's a platform over your head and you want to take advantage of it with a UThrow. With Lucas and Ness, you NEVER want to throw them. Ever. You have a 20 frame advantage on them when you grab release them. That's a long time. You can be slow on the draw and still hit them with just about anything. And Wario has a laundry list of grab release options because he releases so close to Bowser and every other character for that matter.
2:41 - And one final roll for the game.

Game 2
3:27 - He completely misses a DSmash and... you jump away? You don't need to use so much mind games.
3:36 - A jump, an air dodge, and another PKFire eaten.
3:38 - Another jump! Another air dodge! Another punishment! It has to work eventually, right?!
3:41 - Ah, mixing it up this time. A spot dodge before eating the PKFire.

Ugh, sorry, but your making it so easy this time. D:

3:49 - Spot/Air Dodge=-23, PKFire=>9000
3:55 - Empty UpB's are bad news, too, bro.
3:59 - See section about why constantly air dodging to the ground is bad.
4:02 - Okay, not knowing about grab releasing, which is Bowser's bread and butter, this was a good move on your part. Props for that.
4:18 - Okay, by this count you've FSmash 3 times and been punished twice. Maybe I was wrong earlier in my post...
4:25 - Make that 3 punished wiffed FSmashes...
4:30 - Yes. Towards, then away. Works alot better out of shield though.
5:57 - Lots of similar problems have popped up again. You finally seem to have the towards, then away thing figured out with Fortress though.
5:44 - Ah ha! The score of FSmashes to FSmash wiffs just got closer.
5:45 - Another roll for the lose. :(
6:12 - Ha. That was really fortunate for you, though by this point the game was pretty much over.
7:10 - Okay, good, you knocked him off the platform and forced him into a prone position. What should you do now?... No, you shouldn't run away. I'm sorry, but that's not how you take advantage of situations. I can see you not wanting to risk getting hit by that beam of death, but Bowser isn't THAT big and your spacing hasn't been THAT bad.
7:25 - Nice job teching that DAir and following it up, too.
7:29 - Wiff FSmash meets air and you again got away with it. 3 out of 6 isn't bad.
7:34 - You would have been so screwed if that Bowser Bomb missed... As good a time as any to risk it though.
7:34 - Lucas wiffs twice with the DSmash and... you roll and DTilt the air.

All in all, lots of easy mistakes that can easily be avoided in the future.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Alright, I'm going to try to stop being so sarcastic now. It's not helpful. I'm sorry.
I like how you slipped that in the middle of the post lmao.

But yeah, I mean, there's nothing we can really say besides the fact that you just made A LOT of mistakes. It can certainly be improved, and you're far from terrible. You just weren't making the right Bowser-esque choices.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I'll see if I can catch him on Aib and just ask him.
@Edit: Uh yeah he's defenitly not active there.

Someone should search for him on that website in the description of his vids, lol

Oh wow Kagato! Those take me back to my wifi days. Just wait till IsmaR gets a load of this.

Anyway, yeah he's a wifi Bowser. At least he was two years back, not too sure now xD.

Also I don't know if I've mentioned this here but I'll be able to update the thread on saturday, I've been restricted to laptop internet for the past week and it's been pretty bad.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Oh, I remember Kagato. Wow, that was a really long time ago..

DiasFlac still plays Brawl sometimes too. I tried to get him to show to SWF but...I don't know how that's working.

There are a few Bowsers on AiB that I know of that I try to get onto SWF, but they...just...I don't know lmao.

aka i asked them like, 3-4 months ago, I guess they either forgot or just don't use Bowser anymore. Happens.

DiasFlac!!! Oh god these old names bring back such amazing memories xD!!!

You must get them to come here, it would be amazing.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I left them shoutouts on AiB, but they're not that active. IDK, it'd be really nice if they came here though.

I personally think it's bad because here we have a decent Bowser who's completely missing out on the Bowser metagame...he's playing like it's late '08 or something.

If he came here more often or even went to AiB he'd get better. Well, he needs to talk to us...said Bowser Master of Brawl lmao.

what the **** is brawl domain anyway?

also, some new **** from ixis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHJ8n7SWx_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fsIMzYW_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDiCA85MDu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXbgleoa5iI

vs an olimar, i'm watching them now and i'll probably point out something/critique tomorrow or later tonight.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah, I'm surprised and even more proud of Ixis for winning against the Olimar.

I wish he had a mother****ing computer so he could speak and give input...

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I've only seen the first two games so far, Ixis, but this is what I've got to say so far:

-Watch your use of fair. There were a few times in game one where you faired when Olimar was nowhere near you, and once (off the top of my head) Olimar was able to punish you with an aerial of his own. In this MU, if you're above Olimar, it's really, really easy for Olimar to punish you, and a great way for Olimar to get you above him's an aerial.

-Watch using Firebreath too close to Olimar, especially at high percents. Your second stock in game 2 was lost because you used Firebreath at high percents, and Olimar SDI'd into you and hit you with an upsmash.

dskank

Smash Journeyman

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLWK7UTMCNU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcIeuliFWuw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc1BTn7Uy8Y

Just a couple of matches with my WIP Bowser.

I really need to start reacting faster to air releases. :/
Watched the first video (match 3 on Youtube), and I've got a few critiques:

-Like dskank said, Fortress OoS more. You rarely used the move at all.

-You played really scared overall. Your approach wasn't varied enough. You had a habit of randomly airdodging into the ground when Snake was nowhere near you...I don't see the point in this at all. Our airdodge is garbage, so why just throw it out there without a purpose? The only purpose of airdodging with Bowser is to either avoid an attack or to use it as a mixup approach > Fortress (used most often, although dsmash is getting used a bit more). Bowser ain't Wario!

-Looks like you need to buffer your GR > ftilts better, but I'm sure you're aware of that, haha.

-Stop wasting your double jump so often. Bowser's blind spot is below him--there's no need to intentionally get into uptilt territory. You should rarely be double jumping around the place as Bowser, unless you use it as a mixup to get back onto the ground when an opponent is exploiting Bowser's blind spot. Plus if you get hit offstage before you hit the ground, you lose your double jump, which definitely doesn't help Bowser's mediocre recovery. You can get away with this a bit on Japes since the water can help you recover, but it's still a bad way of moving around with Bowser.

-Bowser Bombing the ledge around Japes is fun and can be effective. MrEh knows ALL about that. :p
That's right; I saw that vid!

-Throw in more jab mixups. They're spiffy. Don't go for the jab mixup all the time, though, against characters like Snake that have fast tilts.

-Don't forget you can throw Snake's grenades back at him. Firebreath can also stop them.

-Roll less with Bowser. Bowser's back roll should be used as a "reset" option at best, ie when the opponent's not near you. Just don't get into a habit of rolling with him as much as you did in match 1 (3). In most of those situations, you could've just Fortressed.

-As tempting as it is to sit in your shield, don't. You're asking to get grabbed. Bowser's a fat, bulky dude--throw that shield out only when need be so you don't get poked on the kisser.

-Use more uptilt!

-Your fsmashes were poorly timed, especially when you fsmashed the C4. XD Use fsmash on an ftilt happy Snake--just practice the spacing/timing. I can't tell you how many Snakes I've taught to not mindlessly ftilt because they take a Gimpyfish combo to the face. :p

That's all I can think of without scrubbing your video again for more details. I'll see if I can get to the remaining videos and comment on them within the coming days, maybe tomorrow in between studying for my last final.

On the whole, though, you got a lot more grabs than I was expecting for a rookie Bowser, or a "WIP" as you call it. :p Looking forward to seeing more of your matches in the future, and please stick around the boards--I always find character conversation to be helpful, if only to get to know your fellow Bowser mains.

Also seeing as you're from OK, lemme know if you ever plan on going to a Texas tournament. I'll see if I can make it.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Also overall, time your klaws better, they shouldn't be the first thing you throw out directly after you jump.

yes, snake is a tall guy, so klaw timing doesn't matter, but i prefer to leave a second or two to react on a better option, you know?

the majority of the time when you jumped, you klawed immediately, that's my main point

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Oh damn, I put those videos in reverse order XD

This is one of the few times I used Bowser against Snake, so I guess you could say that I don't have much of an idea on how far Snake can be and still be within range to hit Bowser hard. So I opt for airdodging and rolling a lot so I don't fall into anything accidentally, and I try to use Klaw a lot so I can play the range game as well. But lack of Fortress OOS was terrible on my part, I agree. I suppose it's because I don't use Tap Jump, and thus requires the extra jump input; I guess I'll have to start using that now.

I need to work on my GR > Anything better XD. I only have a shallow understanding on who can get hit by what at the moment.

Bowser's throw animation feels so slow, which is why I didn't throw grenades back, as again I feel Snake can walk right up to me and slam me with ftilt during that moment.

Uptilt's really hit-and-miss for me, for some reason. But I can alleviate that by doing reverse Utilt, right?

Also seeing as you're from OK, lemme know if you ever plan on going to a Texas tournament. I'll see if I can make it.
I've gone to Phase 10, and I'm trying to make plans to go to the next Phase, whenever that is. Oklahoma's having a Smash tournament next month too, so maybe you could go to that?

Zig would you mind updating this thread? I've got a bit too much stuff to get done atm.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Uptilt's really hit-and-miss for me, for some reason. But I can alleviate that by doing reverse Utilt, right?

I've gone to Phase 10, and I'm trying to make plans to go to the next Phase, whenever that is. Oklahoma's having a Smash tournament next month too, so maybe you could go to that?
I'm mainly talking about using uptilt on platforms--in that case, it doesn't matter if it's reverse or normal uptilt. It comes out fast, and a lot of times, people don't expect it. Mix it in with upsmash. A lot of times I'll let people fall down to a platform, wait a bit, and then uptilt them. They get so ticked, haha.

As far as Phase goes, I haven't been to a Phase in a while due to my film schedule being really busy, but this upcoming semester is much easier on me, so I'll be going to more tournaments. I won't be able to go to OK's Oh Snap in a month, though, as I'll be going back home to Louisiana to visit my family for winter break.

Zig would you mind updating this thread? I've got a bit too much stuff to get done atm.
Sure thing. I'll update it between study sessions today.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
Sonic Storm;11795558l said:
. But lack of Fortress OOS was terrible on my part, I agree. I suppose it's because I don't use Tap Jump, and thus requires the extra jump input; I guess I'll have to start using that now.
change either x or y to special, then u could just slide from x to y will holding up in ur shield and u will oos fortress

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Updated the OP with Sonic Storm's videos. Sorry for the delay!

Okay Zig I'm back on track now, many thanks man ^__^.

Once I'm done uploading these 29 games with Ixis I'll add them to the OP, along with any others posted within that period obviously.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
because i'm not doing anything else with my life, and am too lazy to do the MK writeup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G42FpG9INqY

im guessing all this really shows is how bad bowser is with the ledge lol

and as a note, one of those 2 bowser bombs i did at the end was supposed to be a klaw...don't judge me lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Hmm...this makes me want to actually play you guys on Wi-Fi.

Updated the OP with Ixis's matches (I'm not sure if you guys wanted me to add that Bowser ditto).

Top Bottom