• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Videos of the WF and GF (both between KingKong and Mar1):

Winners' finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgzYuf-lJgw [1/5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNOxctYUvas [2/5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usmd7C0SFCE [3/5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2SwxmBzmYM [4/5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0WxpEcEBLA [5/5]

Grand finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWqN4g6r6kU [1/5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fh-3yXovSg [3/5]

That's all the replays that Mar1 sent to me. Apparently, the other 3 games in the GF weren't worth uploading, so I didn't get them.

taken form storumbert post cuz im lazy

the 3 games that are not uploaded
- game 2 Mar1 (mk) vs KK (bowser) GAY !!!!!!!!!!!
- game 4 mar1 (dk) vs KK (dedede on castle siege) GAY !!!!!!!!!!!!
- game 5 mar1 (mk) vs kk (mk) cuz mk da bess

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Thought i'd post some recent friendlies. Against Hoe4u, Pikachu.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRWpQuZ7S0
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9Dva32e5k
Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJYz04ZdcA

Now, there should be more videos on the way, we literally save dozens upon dozens of replays whenever we have serious friendlies. We usually play about half a dozen times a month or so. Some days we can go about 7 or 8 hours of straight back-to-back Bowser on Pikachu. It may seem from those videos that i usually win, but actually he wins the majority of our matches. His Pikachu is pretty problematic for me.

B!squick

Smash Master
You know, Ixis, I'm curious, do you play anyone else besides Bowser? I'd like to see how well you play when, well, let's be honest, Bowser's big fat *** isn't holding you back.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Nope. I claim to have Mario, Jigglypuff and Toon Link as my alternate characters, but really i would just rather play Bowser all day long. When i play another character i can't help but think to myself I could be using this time to get better with Bowser. On top of that everybody else is just so boring; I've more or less canned Mario and Jiggz, but i still find enjoyment out of playing TL for some reason and wan't to get better with him, i'll ask Hoe4u to upload a vid or two of my TL and maybe ask the TL mains for a critique. Don't expect a spectacular performance though, lol.

Really, it all just comes down to every other character being a waste of time and effort, when i could be using both of those to get better with Bowser.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Your Bowser's my favorite Bowser to watch, Ixis. I always enjoy watching your matches.

Props for doing so well against Pikachu--I've always found that MU to be extra annoying as Bowser.

I've got one piece of advice: Don't fair Pikachu when you're at high percents and Pikachu's at low percents. Fair won't have much knockback then, and Pikachu will nair and KO you while you still have lag from fair. At high percents, Pikachu has a hard time KOing heavies, namely because a good opponent knows Pikachu has fsmash, upsmash, Thunder, and nair to KO. The former three are all relatively easy to defend against, so nair's often a Pikachu's KO move of choice at high percents.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Thanks Zigsta! :)

And yes i see what you're saying about using Fair on Pika at low percents. I noticed on match 1 i lost my first stock because i used Fair on him from the ledge at 0% and got KO'd with Nair because of it. I'll have to work on my ledge options and space better in the future. Aside from messing up inputs every now and then and falling into grabs and air/Thunder setups i think i'm pretty good at the matchup.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm FINALLY going to see your vids Zigsta and Ixis. I'll edit in comments later.

Zigsta vid 1:
0:53 to 1:19 is one of the reasons PS1 should never be a starter IMO
Was afraid that 2:04 USmash wasn't goign to reach hahaha
I wish I was there to see the look on your face at that ending
It looked like you were getting a feel for what worked and what didn't so no critique from me

Zigsta vid 2:
Don't BAir at low %s, way way too laggy. Even if you hit them you're a stting duck. It's a kill/edgeguard move.
Don't use UAir to pressure people on low platforms, use USmash/UTilt or stand on the slope and FTilt upwards.
Hahaha at 3:05
Yeah there were several things to comment on but what stood out the most was your BAir use. Focus on avoiding using it until 80-100% depending on the character

Zigsta vid 3:
You got to be a bit more careful spacing with firebreath, you died twice the same way
Don't forget to DThrow!
A cool trick on Yoshi's ISland is to sit on the edge of the platform and firebreath the ledge. It only works if you do it immediately after sending someone offstage though, takes a bit to set up thanks to Bowser's slow jump.

Ixis vid 1:
I think you already know what's wrong with how the matchup starts
You don't have to tech in place you know, tech-rolling to a direction can save you from being hit with a follow-up
That klaw at 1:57 would've been so hilarious if you had gotten the kill
Be careful with those auto-pilot klaw hopped FAirs (I'm guilty of those myself)
You need to DI away when you get hit by NAir (that applies to basicallly every aerial in the game when you're playing Bowser)
Stale DSmash... That's a first hahaha
Nicely played specially considering it's FD and you gave a free 50% to Pikachu in 2 of your stocks

Ixis vid 2:
Oh it's your turn to play the starter that benefits you the most haha
Looks like the Pikachu tries to spot-dodge every time you Jab him, try to mix-up a FSmash when you're at safe %s
You lost the huge advantage you had because you klaw hopped over Pikachu. I understood when you did it the first time because you were going for a cross-up klaw, but after that it was just jeopardizing yourself
Hanging on the ledge for too long didn't help either
Nice mindgame kill in the last stock, this match was closer than it should have been
Nice pivot-grabs throughout the match too

Ixis vid 3:
Din't really have much of a chance here with almost two suicides
Hoe4u, asides from getting hit by USmash a few times too many, was in beast mode.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Flayl stealing everything, again. jk <3.

Seriously though, Ixis was on that MetaBowser **** lmao. That first match you were flickin' the stick like no other.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Thanks for the advice as always Flayl. I've picked up on many of Hoe4u's habits but I suppose I should capitalize on punishing them more often. Most of the time I fear getting grabbed and I rarely ever go for risky punishes. I'll work on this, though. Match 3 I shot myself in the foot with the SD on my second stock, there wasn't really any coming back after that. With that, here is match 4...

Match 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFun22li088&feature=sub&videos=ko9NeQF66ro

I think it's pretty evident after this match that Smashville is not one of my strongest stages. I believe I did quite well though.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Watch out for Klaw Hopping too much, Ixis. There's a few times near the end of match 4 where you Hopped into a nair.

Just something I noticed in match 4:

When the Pika was planking upb, you kept trying to punish with down angled ftilt, the best option, instead of running off stage afterwards and risking a gimp (which the Pika could have easily managed had he quarter circled down to the ledge from the stage) was bait an approach, seeing as you were in the percentage lead, he would have had to approach you sooner or later.

But very good games, Hoe4u played very very well aswell as yourself.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
No need to critique me, I know for a fact I need to figure out how the hell to buffer an UAir out of the air release when I have tap jump on :l And halfway through one match I just got bored and tried to go hard, you'll see. I try to do some fancy off-the-ledge crap and I die lul.

I also need to try and figure out this Klawdrop thing more. Sometimes I try to fastfall through the platform and attack directly after and it just keeps me on the platform. Other times I just fall through with absolutely no speed and I'm like "wtf". -.- I do get it right very often though, so don't think I'm totally ******** haha.

GGs self critique. If you guys watch all 3 videos, you'll notice I empty klaw when I'm not trying to approach and just throw a random move out there to wall. 85% of the time, that move is FTilt. The 1% is Jab when I mess up the FTilt and the 9% is a jump, and the remaining 5% is a grounded klaw if I end up close to them and they're shielding. What I'm trying to say is, the empty klaw trick could be so much more beneficial for me if I stopped instinctively going for FTilt. So I ask, how do you guys get rid of really bad (it's not bad per se, it's just really limiting when we have more options out of an empty klaw, like maybe going for a grab.) habits? I changed that part because at this point I've probably typed a load of stuff. :l

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71KVxWRKcFI&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bssfAlY752U&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eccooINB0m8&feature=channel

Sometimes I get a terrible start and then I have to catch up to make it even, and that's fine; I just really like it when I have good momentum. Then, I can just chill and keep the lead ;[

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Well played Limit, you've definitely gotten better. Though I will say that Jigglypuff could do with a new treadmill, your performance was great and your dominance was apparent, especially in match 3. Good job.

If you get the time, sit in training mode and practice Platform cancelled Klaw for about a day or so and you'll get it down. Try it on numerous different stages with platforms to master the individual timings. I find it easiest on Battlefield, but Smashville's moving platform gives me the most problems.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah, not to sound stalkerish but I typed in "ixis bowser" on youtube and saw your latest matches vs. Aura, a Yoshi player. All three matches on Battlefield were crazy.

You have complete control over that Klawdrop.

Although, not to hate on your playstyle, but sometimes you just look like you play too fancy, when a simple klaw or an FTilt would have just been more sufficient against him -.-

You dominated on that third match though. Absolutely.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
-.- well yeah if I was playing Ixis on battlefield and I had no knowledge of Bowser, I'd be like "wut". Idk, I'm just a lazy guy. I don't like to go through all that klaw jumping trouble when one single move could just solve my problem right there. Admittedly, yes, I do like to mess around and position myself a bit better, so I do klaw around.

But, if you watch my videos I just openly abuse Klaw because I can. lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Limit, be careful of using SH nairs and random fsmashes against Jigglypuff. Both attacks have enough lag on them for a good Jigglypuff to counter with Rest.

Other than that, I'd play more boring/patient against Jigglypuff in general. But you did say you got bored, haha.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
@ Limit.

No offence taken. I could go into a long explanation about why I play the way I do, including all the seemingly unnecessary Bowser techs all the time as there are a myriad of reasons, but I'll keep it short: I hate standing still, moving around keeps me alert and my opponent always guessing.

Regarding the videos vs auroreon, they were very recent and I planned to post them here so I'd have videos to accompany the write-up I did a while back. There shall be a few more videos coming though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ok here's the only vid of the finals where I played Bowser. Seeing my Snake performance recorded made me think I would have done better with Bowser, but truth be told I'd lose either way, I just need more practice with my Snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaj-sdLfa_Q

Here's some self-critique, please add critique of your own because I'm going to focus too much on the obvious:

- First off, I completely forgot how to start the matchup. It sucks how often I can't even remember to apply my own advice. I get chaingrabbed and I don't know why or how but I accidentally double-jumped during it and didn't realize until it was too late. Could've been avoided if I just klaw-hopped or did careful short-hop airdodges.
- 0:13 was supposed to be a FTilt btw
- One thing you'll notice is the Falco relies WAY too much on phantasm and spot-dodging. The problem is here in Portugal very few of us are capable of punishing them consistently, so there's no pressure for him to get rid of those habits. I don't want anybody to watch it (for my own sake) but there's a game where he phantasms like 3 times in a row into a shield-grenade.
- 0:30 here instead of trying to klaw out of release or chaingrabbing him I Bthrow him thinking his positioning offstage and his falling speed will force him to take some firebreath damage. Didn't work this time, but I'd like to see Bowsers try it on Fox, Dedede and Falcon.
- 0:42 I try do a crossup of sorts but used the wrong attack, Fortress or Klaw would have been a better choice.
- 0:45 he messed up the dash-grab but I think I used FSmash (this time on purpose) in such a way that he would have whiffed anyway. Could've been a highlight IMO.
- 0:48 I tried to use Dtilt when Phantasm's bull**** simply doesn't let it work, I should have fortressed or Firebreathed instead. You'll notice I never try to go for a ledge hug when he's offstage. This is because I would have to do it on reaction to his vertical positioning: Too soon and he just phantasms back on stage, too late and I get hit. That and also I'm prone to occasinally mess up the speed hug, and Falco's phantasm spikes. I recommend the more competent Bowsers out there that if you're under 100%, speed hugging the ledge and immediately doing the ledge attack is a pretty nifty way to cover Falco's options.
- Something you'll notice here is that I'm spacing with FTilt instead of Jab. This is because I know the Falco stops lasering when he's about to enter his FTilt range, which trumps Bowser's jab. Since he stops lasering earlier, there's enough time for me to FTilt. This is a player-specific tactic, your Falcos might not be like this.
- 1:21 I don't think it's ever been discussed but a neat feature of lylat for bowser is how you can short-hop fortress onto the platforms to avoid punishment, at least the grab variety. Mind you, this probably sucks against anyone who is decent at SDI (and cares enough about bowser lol).
- 1:25 I wanted to klaw but it didn't come out. Story of my life.
- It really seems I'm obsessed with landing UTilt this game, should have been going for FAirs instead.
- 1:45 that was a mindless fortress, shouldn't have done that.
- 1:56 not that it really mattered but I want to Jab here and instead Ftilt'd
- 2:04 unlucky me just barely falls of the platform
- 2:12 Falco's spot-dode is just bull**** so I don't even attempt to do anything else than Jab, it would probably just miss and get me punished.
- 2:17 I thought Ftilt would knock Falco out of the initial phase of Phantasm but doesn't reach.
- 2:35 he FAirs me when he wanted to BAir me.
- 2:48 I pay back the favor when I firebreath him when he would've died. ****it.
- 3:06 I wanted to input down-left in my control stick to DI to the side while being able to fastfall my FAir, but I screw up and just go straight up.
- 3:16 I wanted to Jab instead of FTilt.
- 3:21 I wanted to dash-grab but dash attack instead and I got lucky.
- 3:26 I predict the dash-grab and klaw him, owned.
- 3:30 I should've used firebreath instead of DTilt.
- 3:37 I forget that DSmash doesn't actually work.
- 3:50 I short-hop airdodge too close, I wanted to get to tip of Jab range. I then get stupid and try to SDI up and fortress instead of just SDI'ing to the side.
- 4:05 I wanted to dash and grab, I get walk and Ftilt in place.
- 4:20 I'm somewhat amazed he timed and spaced that Bair so well until he tells me after the match he did it by accident. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
You did a really good job of critiquing yourself, Flayl, haha.

I'd add that you should differ how you DI after being hit in the air. You were dropping straight down a good bit towards the end of the match, and Falco punished you with an upsmash...and I think an uptilt somewhere. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyways, that's just a really risky thing to do since Bowser's blind spot is underneath him.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
try keeping an eye on your opponent's habits and patterns when hes above you and trying to get grounded, especially since just one good read will get you a kill at <100%

that falco player, for example, double jumped every time you jumped up towards him, so next time you play him just try aiming an upair above him and watch him double jump right into it

xD

Flayl

Smash Hero
Thanks for the critique guys. Yeah I'm still pretty bad at reading aerial movements, I'll work on that.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I've been putting this off because of the unnecessary length of that video.
- If someone without a projectile is trying to camp you, space a burst of firebreath. That should get them to stop without any risk.
- Don't approach MK with FAir, space Ftilt angled up or rely on your shield
- Don't jump over MK to run from him, you'll just get UAir'd -> Tornado'd if the MK knows what he's doing. If you really must run from him for whatever reason dash and try to short-hop airdodge past him.
- Whenever you grab MK, specially on FD, air-release chaingrab him and then hit him with a) air-release FAir if he's below 90%; b) ground-release DTilt (pummel as often as you can) if he's at 90%-120%; c) air-release FAir if he's at 120%+
- If the MK spaces the glide attack correctly you won't be able to grab him and he'll just DSmash/Shuttle loop you if you try. Shield the glide attack and keep the shield up. If he DSmashes, drop the shield and FTilt/dash grab him. If he shuttle loops, do a FAir OoS. If he does a tilt instead just roll away, you can't touch him.
- Angle shield upwards against tornado and jump cancel a fortress if he goes low enough for it to hit.
- If MK is dashing towards you a nicely timed pivot-grab will beat most of his options.
- Unfortunate edge-hog there, you did a nice footstool but this is MK we're talking about. If he did a drill rush he would have reached the ledge anyway. I'd say don't bother trying to edge-guard MK, except for forcing him to land onstage by doing a speed hug at the right time.
- If MK is DAir camping you, turn your back to him and as soon as the DAir hits your shield drop it and UTilt him. If your shield is starting to get too small just run.

These are the most important stuff to fix IMO.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Thanks a lot!
Also about the gimp, we did more friendlies and I noticed the MK always Up bd to the ledge when he was that distance. And it just being a frienlie I thought it was worth the risk. I should have fastfalled xD

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Uh I only saved some vs LinkX and Will. If I can get the ones vs Will to work I mean.

We played on a Wii with changed music so whenever I load the replay it freezes unless I use a button code. (just with the games vs Will)

In any event I made some weird decisions vs LinkX and Will just ***** me. ;[ I'll get them up soon

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Doom, many of your grab attempts were too obvious: You ran towards MK and tried to grab him a good bit, and he spotdodged or rolled away.

Bowser is a GREAT conditioning character. If you see your opponent is spotdodging, then fsmash him, or run past and pivot grab him. If he's constantly rolling away from your approaches, then go for a Klaw read instead of a grab.

Watch your use of Fortress, especially against MK. There was a handful of times you used it to approach MK. The last hits of Fortress have hardly any knockback, making it a ridiculously easy move to punish, as MK did with dsmash.

All in all, though, not too bad for your first video.

Top Bottom