• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

in the early days

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
man... i hated that...
someone would have like 100% and just run to the bottom and camp.
it works too, cuz we'd be playing a FFA lol so they'd live till high 200's.

then we discovered teching... I LOVE TECHING

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I mained Sheik and tilt combo'd people to insane percents. Especially fun in Corneria where I could use the lower wall to combo against.

I remember focusing on that more than getting KO's. lol

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Mained Roy and played with cousins/friends on Hyrule Temple, 5 stock. Sometimes me and my cousin (Roy and Marth) on team against 2 lvl 9 CPUs on Hyrule.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
that actually sounds fun haha
i'm spoiling myself by playing fox haha

p.s. welcome, envy. it's been a while.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Me and my friend would always roll behind each other until we reached the edge. Also, Marth dittos on Hyrule with alternate music.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
I would down throw chain grab my friends with sheik till they were at like 80 then Fair them for the kill, it used to be so broken since they "couldnt get out of it"

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I mained Link...

The dumbest thing was when everyone thought Roy was the ****. I read smashboards and knew better, unfortunately for everyone else...

All I can remember about that time in life, was that I spammed Dair with Link, and my friend figured out how to win by spamming counter... /facepalm

Binx

Smash Master
I mained Marth and my friends both mained Fox, vs 1 of them I would hit him with a counter (down b) and then SCREAM the words "CHAIN THROW" grab him as soon as he got up chain throw utilt fsmash > easy edgeguard while he was laughing at my battle cry.

Ahh the good old days, needless to say that stuff doesn't work as well anymore =).

kongfucius

Smash Cadet
I'd pick kirby cuz his recovery was so easy. I also played samus and focused all my attention on getting a fully charged shot on my cousin's fox. Which usually left me extremely pissed off not to mention dead...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I did many odd things in the early days.
I always played free for alls with 5 stock matches with 5 minutes with Poke-Balls only on very high. I also did 25-stock marathons intermittently. I rarely did 50-stock marathons with the damage ratio at 2.0. Good times.
As for Characters, I chose Ganondorf in Hyrule Temple and used to camp in the left section waiting for people to come to me. When they came, I used to spam USmash and uair. I also like Jabbing to the beat of the FE music playing when i camp there too to rack up damage and for lulz.
I also used to like Zelda better than Sheik. I used to totally ignore her when I first used Zelda.
I liked Roy too. Roy's counter was beast, especially against predictable people and CPUs. Then I learned how bad his recovery was.
Peach was all about Fair, Fthrow, Dsmash, and Usmash for me. I learned Float Cancelling myself later and didn't know what to do with it.
I used to Spam Smashes and fair with Ice Climbers all the time.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I played marth and Sethlon and I would play nothing but Hyrule and Final Destination. Running really quick towards someone and then rolling behind them was the most advanced tactic we knew... o_O
Lol. If you check out the Brawl Tactical Forums this is being considered an AT.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
jumping as high as you can, then doing kirby's downB... as if it's stronger because it had to fall from such a high place haha

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I remember getting ***** by an unashamed tier ***** friend who picked up a new character every time the game advanced, who ended up maining top tier and knew about swf when it was really young. He of course kept his stuff to himself

Neverender

Smash Journeyman
Back in 02 i would just spam Up/ Down B with kirby.
Also i would just spam standing lazers with falco and f smash across the stage as movement.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Back in the day, I changed mains everyday and trained against 2 DKs in Hyrule Temple. Also, I didn't use aerials lol.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I remember getting ***** by an unashamed tier ***** friend who picked up a new character every time the game advanced, who ended up maining top tier and knew about swf when it was really young. He of course kept his stuff to himself
hahaha wow... what a ****. i wish i new about swf that soon. haha

rehab

Smash Journeyman
He P'ed 2W and I don't begrudge him a thing. I'm going to get better in a year and go back to Canada and stock him. :)

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I used to pick kirby back in the first year of melee. I didnt have the game or a cube so i would go over my friends house to play it. All i would do is spam the dash attack and down b. Each time i grabbed anyone it was always the up throw. a little bit later when i learned wave dash i would pick luigi and yell out special attack! that was my patented wavedash into forward smash lol. That is until i met a tourney player who ***** me with his luigi.
We also called wavedash spotdodge upb with luigi the raging demon.

FTWin

Smash Cadet
I played Ganon, and since none of us knew how to roll or ground dodge, i would spam my b punch.
Then, i learned about mario's cape, and that was ALL i used until i got into competitive smash

egreene

Smash Rookie
When i convinced my friends to stop playing final fantasy X, we would do great bay or corneria every time. 10 stock battles. lol no lie 10 stock ffa battles all day. i would play as a link, just so i could pull out a bomb, throw it up, grab a fool, uthrow, and watch my bomb smack him in midair. i thought it was the most pimpin thing anyone would EVER pull off in melee. then i saw a ken vs. isai fox ditto on my friends DC++ account...i watched it like 15 times in a row, and my mind was continually blown every time. i was like, "how the #$#$ are they moving so fast?!!!"

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
When I first played the game, I thought Sheik was the best character in the game.
Wait....

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
When I first played the game, I thought Sheik was the best character in the game.
Wait....
Sheik is the n00b killer, even if the one using him/her is a n00b. so he/she was the best character when everyone started lol.

But we all know Pichu is the best character in the game now...

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's her ridiculous ease of use that made her seem broken. I was a Fox main though, until I unlocked Falcooooo! All the efforts put into being good with him paid off. Falco is amazing. I think he's the best in PAL. Bias much?

pewpewyou

Smash Journeyman
I was forced to play on the toughest counterpicks (Flat Zone) with my cousin. And if I lost I was forced to get gloated at continuously. Now he plays Fox, I play Marth. And I **** him up the butt. But that's besides the point. I played Sheik and all I did was dash attack, down smash, and needle. Aka, good s***

saintrage

Smash Cadet
I actually always used falco. I thought full hop dair was the **** verse CPU's and smash to dodge roll to smash was my favorite way to kill xD

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Reading the tier list discussion reminds me I used to think kirby was better than jiggs...

and why not? kirby has the better recovery, a hammer, and OMG his dash attack has the phire! Jigglypuffs B moves were all useless. Pound had no range (because I only used it on the air and didn't realize the hitbox went farther than the animation) opponents could be neutral B every time by jumping, and that was her best move too! You could never hit with downB unless you hit with upB first, and upB was way too slow with little range... Aerials didn't exist yet. Kirby's smash had more range.

Top Bottom