• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

in the early days

mzink*

Smash Ace
I rolled back and forth over and over in yoshi's egg, I was highly annoying, but I always won somehow.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
In my early days: I still played Fox, lots of rolling and upsmashing. I was still pretty good on a nub level. Nothin special though I played just to play the game. I was a HUGE trash talker though but I could do that though because I was best in the area lol.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
I remember when one of my friends and I would debate who the best character in the game was...

My friend: Link is the best, his up-b is broken.
Me: Marth is better, his counter is too good.

Falcon and Ganondorf had the devestating forward b to up-b combo! Ganondorf also had the best move in the game thanks to up-smash.

F-smash was every character's best and strongest move, the exceptions being Fox and Ganon.

Peach's f-throw confused me since it is weak at first and then gets very high knock-back at higher percents. I assumed it would always be weak.

Also, since three of us would usually play melee we would do teams a lot so one of us would get teamed with a cpu. Level 7 was the highest we would allow because we thought level 8s 9s were too hard.

I won a lot by rolling behind people and f-smashing them with Marth.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Jump in the air and Down B with kirby... ALL ****ING DAY!!

I thought it was too good.

Oh yeah and Roy was better then marth because he had fire on his sword.

Aznpkilla

Smash Cadet
I never liked items, lol.

But I used to:
Roy > Marth for a while, until about four or five years ago.
Link was my main
Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch was GODLY
I couldn't spike with Falco. =(
Spammed Dash attack with Young Link
Used to never shine (O_O)
Rollspam (Oh god, once my friend and I spent 45 seconds rolling in the same direction because we had the same "playstyle")
Ice Climbers were terrible. (I love my iceys).

Thinking back on it, man I really would have punched old me in the face.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Another memory;

I used to detest this game... mostly cause I sucked. >_>
None of my friends knew ATs yet, except for my one friend but he hadn't got SHFFL'ing down yet.
Sooo since they always were dying to play it, I'd either pick Pikachu, Pichu, GaW, and a bit more recently, Kirby. lmfao.
4 player FFAs.

Pikachu: Spam Neutral B and Down B, nothing else.

Pichu: Let everyone else fight while I charged up Skull Bash (Forward B) and kill anyone over 40-50% instantly.

GaW: Spam Neutral B, which still looks more like Bacon than Sausages to me. I would just yell "BACONNNNNNN!" and everyone else would get pissed at me for making them laugh and mess up.

Kirby: Kirbycide camping. Of couse no one was smart enough to realize you could just hit me ontop of the head. >_> So I'd 4stock them all the time. Once, I remember, my friend's Fox sat there shooting lasers at me while I camped with Neutral B... he got me to about 350%, went for the Nair kill, and got sucked in and Kirbycided. I recovered. ^_^

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
In my first year of playing Melee, I would play as only the secret characters because I liked them the most and I worked to get them. I liked to play with alternate music always, except for on Big Blue and Icicle Mountain. I loved to play on Big Blue, Hyrule Temple, Final Destination, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, Poke Floats, Icicle Mountain, and Flat Zone. I did Adventure and All-Star mode a lot, and I liked to look at my trophies and see what the different character's attacks were named.

Zone

Smash Champion
use to main samus and just crouch cancel everything. and did missile cancels --> Run up and grab when they shield my missile. use to think it was unstoppable.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Last sentence is the best.

I picked link just because he looked the best. My style was literally nothing but rolls, up-b on the ground, and c-stick on the ground. maybe snipe with bombs and boomerangs.
Then I surprised my neighbor who was all I played against when I showed her what I learned. I would always grab her, throw her up, and keep juggling her with up-airs. I thought I was the ****.

Then get this. I thought I was soo smart and thought nobody else had figured out you could use link's up-b to get back to the edge since I was like "Hoooly crap! Look! It makes you go up a lot!"

Forcystus

Smash Apprentice
My best memory of early Melee was when people thought Roy was better than Marth :laugh:.

I also remember trying to main Game and Watch because I could wavedash with him. And how all my causal friends thought the Ice Climbers were the worst character in the game.
Ah yes, I picked Roy in the beginning because of his Phl4m3 sword, I thought he was way better than marth :p.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I also remember when my friends at school thought they were cooler than me because they both mained Marth and Roy and I mained Mewtwo..... :)

Adi

Smash Lord
Used to be the only one of my friends who knew how to shield grab.. I used to spam that **** with Marth and I thought I was beast.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Lol, me and my bro played some "early days" people yesterday. One of the guys said "Stop picking on me" when I went after him in teams.

But, still, we all swore the spacies were identical. "Fox is only a little faster." Good times.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Used to be the only one of my friends who knew how to shield grab.. I used to spam that **** with Marth and I thought I was beast.
hahah shield grabbing was SOO cheap.
when i my friend would start losing, he would just play ridiculously defensive and shield grab me all day. (of course we didn't know how to obliterate people from grabs yet)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I used to go the cave in Hyrule Temple with Link and up-throw people into the ceiling, who then bounced off back down and then I'd spin attack. I was so proud of that combo LOL

Top Bottom