• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Immediate grab-break

ADHD

Smash Hero
This has happened to me alot, I grab and immediately the grab breaks. What the hell is caused by this?

ADHD

Smash Hero
No it was IMMEDIATELY. It was like I grappled and the break before I even pulled him in.

I heared a rumor that if you press A in the right frame it breaks out of the grab

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Probably a grab break like those in most other fighters. It's happened to me, too. Could also be two grabs being performed at the same time and canceling each other out.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
yeah there was a lot of talk about this when Marth's CG on Ness was discovered and the DK boards were talking about it before that as a way to escape Dedede's CG. Pretty sure no one knows what causes it though. Someone said they'd done it though so I'm pretty sure it's not just the computers cheating.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
My theory on grab breaks is that it involves the edge of the stage. I play nearly all my games at FD, and as many times as I grab in the middle, it never breaks. Near the edge though, grabs seem to break. I am guessing it involves some momentum into the edge issue.

acv

Smash Journeyman
i am not sure but once i broke free from a grab at about 150% damage.i am not entirely sure but iit happens when for some reason the one who is grabbing gets hit just right before he grabs the grab animation happens and the one who is grabbed inmediately releases.i also think this is character dependant since on some characters like squirtle they will still grab but sustain damage.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Were you on a slope? Go on Yoshi's Island melee version and grab the cpu while being below him on a slope. The cpu will immediately escape and you can chain them off the stage lol :laugh: but that's b/c they don't DI

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of being near an edge. The game repositions you during a grab. If the game doesn't like where you're being placed, it opts to break the grab apart rather then have more body hanging off an edge then what looks possible.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Things that can break you out of a grab instantly:
-being grabbed near the edge
-being grabbed while on ground that is changing (i.e. Pokemon Stadium)
-being grabbed on a platform that rises up or lowers down

Eldiran

Smash Lord
This usually happens when one character shield grabs after blocking a stong attack that pushes them away, and subsequently, off the edge. Since there is no such thing as an aerial grab, the grab ends.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of being near an edge. The game repositions you during a grab. If the game doesn't like where you're being placed, it opts to break the grab apart rather then have more body hanging off an edge then what looks possible.
Well that doesn't make sense considering I was in the center of battlefield.

Just yesterday in matches with my wifi buddy I noticed this happen but this time it was me who broke out. It was on smashville once again near the middle. I'm a button masher and I forgot what I was trying to do but it involved a jab.

Top Bottom