• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
In my humble opinion, if Marth were returning, he would have been revealed first - he being the so called "Face of Fire Emblem" and all. Since Ike was shown first, I strongly suspect that he is replacing Marth as the main representative of the Fire Emblem series. Of course, we won't know that for certain until we see more of the final roster.

Anyway, Ike owns! And isn't that what really matters?

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Ike is more of a brawler (excuse the pun) compared to Marth's graceful style of swordplay. I really can't see them having similar playstyles.

As for Aether - http://youtube.com/watch?v=V4CsnIdq2U8
look here about 1:04

I can't really see it as his final smash, but it might be a prettya pretty good recovery move a la Kirby's final cutter.

Zlykin

Smash Rookie
Ike and Marth are very different. Marth fights like the lord he's always been, while Ike is a mercenary.

We don't need anymore swords, though. *sigh*
That at first i was going to complain about (I like ike) but it is true so blah

Also i dont like marth, and I havnt played his FE game

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Ike is more of a brawler (excuse the pun) compared to Marth's graceful style of swordplay. I really can't see them having similar playstyles.
Which is exactly why I think Marth should return. No other character to date has that kind of sword play (not even Roy). Taking out a unique style doesn't seem neccessary. Why can't we just have Marth in, too?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Which is exactly why I think Marth should return. No other character to date has that kind of sword play (not even Roy). Taking out a unique style doesn't seem neccessary. Why can't we just have Marth in, too?
The only reason I can think of is that Sakurai is pressed for time and has decided that there are other characters who are more deserving.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE for Marth to return, but surely you will admit that there is a possibility he won't as well.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
I don't like the FE games, just not my style, but that always made me sad cause the FE characters are awesome. And Ike, woot! Another kick *** character from FE. At least I'll get to use him in brawl since I don't play the FE games:laugh:

Several pages back (skipped a few afterwards), some people were concered about him being a clone. Unless its already bin cleared up a few pages before this... didn't Sakurai mention that he wanted no clones? If I recall that correctly then no fears!

Salaad

Smash Ace
In my humble opinion, if Marth were returning, he would have been revealed first - he being the so called "Face of Fire Emblem" and all. Since Ike was shown first, I strongly suspect that he is replacing Marth as the main representative of the Fire Emblem series. Of course, we won't know that for certain until we see more of the final roster.

Anyway, Ike owns! And isn't that what really matters?

Why would they give Marth? Isn't the pattern every 3 weeks it's a newcomer? To me, that's like revealing Yoshi's Story but not revealing Yoshi...Marth will be returning...They know people love him...Oh yeah IKE DOES OWN!!!!! He looks so Badass...

7-up

Smash Cadet
Ike is in. Marth is out. There is only room for one blue haired sword wielding male human. And dont give me this "they have diffrent sword style BS". If it's not blatantly obvious to you then your brain must be the size of a peanut.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Why would they give Marth? Isn't the pattern every 3 weeks it's a newcomer? To me, that's like revealing Yoshi's Story but not revealing Yoshi...Marth will be returning...They know people love him...Oh yeah IKE DOES OWN!!!!! He looks so Badass...
Sorry, but there is no pattern. Sakurai follows no rhym or reason comprehansible to we mere mortals.

Zelda wasn't revealed before Link. Nor was Bowser or Peach before Mario or Meta before Kirby. The main character has always been revealed first, which is why I think Ike is now the main representative of his series.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Wouldn't that make Marth the retro character? I fail to see the part where he doesn't get in. I said that Ike would be a better representative of the series, but that doesn't mean Marth is somehow a bad rep. Going by importance I said that Marth was the second most important character in the series as a whole, so it makes sense that he would be revealed second.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx

People like Shiek too...

IKE & ZELDA FTW!

Salaad

Smash Ace
Why would they even put him in Melee then? Why didn't they just put the newest FE character? Because Marth is the FE rep..and don't give me BS about "You can't have 2 blue haired swordsman.." They wouldn't put Marth in Melee, he was made way before Melee came out, so why didn't they choose a new guy/girl? Why do people hate Marth so much?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I was braced for this...I knew deep down inside...I just didn't want to believe it until it finally was confirmed.

Ike Sucks.
"Hey, look at me. I'm a nameless mercenary who ends up being commander of an army(which I barely use btw) through a series of lucky events and mooching off the privileges awarded to me by the achievements of my dad. I decide to fight against the rival discriminatory tyrant face-to-face, (which of course is what commanders do, they fight themselves instead of using the dispensable thousands of troops they command) with 20 or so of the people who've traveled with me thus far, instead of the above mentioned (thousands) of troops. And I just happen to unite nations and races along the way."

Now, I'm not totally against this story. It's just not Fire Emblem, it's more like Final Fantasy. Fire Emblem is about a handful of talented nobilities and royal-blooded heroes, who, through perseverance and faith in strong individuals met along the way, rise up against the dictatorial and warmonger opposing royalty and nobility. This is not a bunch of teenagers who face impossible odds like Final Fantasy, but that's OK for Final Fantasy because that's what it is about. This is why the class title for the main characters are "Lord," because that's what they are, not nameless mercenaries who happen to have a famous daddy.

I just wish Sakurai didn't get 'taken in' by the 3D-ness of FE9:path of Radiance, like everyone else who thinks it's a better game than the other two english titles, FE7&8, who's judgments are clouded and misconstrued by the 3D-ness and cinema cut-scenes.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
It's not that Marth isn't a good representative. It's just that Ike is more popular. And you have to admit, Ike is a lot cooler looking. I bet you a million dollars that Ike will basically have Marth's moveset with only a few alterations. You can make out Marth's old moves in the Ike screens.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
To me it looks like Ike will be beefed up.. Two handed sword with one hand? Lots of range, damage, and speed..

Ike does look pretty mean though, I'm not going to main him. But I expect to be playing against him a lot. He looks like a character that all the noobs would jump for for some reason.

He... might be slower though.. having to swing that large sword with one hand.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Amazed my ramblings earlier actually made sense later on.
I
I'll be waiting for a good Ike vs Marth match to pop up if Marth makes it. Following my theory, it's a yin-yang fight, two extremes of the same spectrum.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's true, and that's one thing that I'm afraid of. Hmmm, I guess they can both be reps for FE? Look at the Emblem for FE, I think it's Marths blade...Idk, but WHY DO PEOPLE HATE MARTH SO MUCH?

Yeah, that's true, and that's one thing that I'm afraid of. Hmmm, I guess they can both be reps for FE? Look at the Emblem for FE, I think it's Marths blade...Idk, but WHY DO PEOPLE HATE MARTH SO MUCH?
It's always:

-"OMG Marth looks gay!!"

-"OMG Marth is cheap"

I swear is a Sheik main says anything about 'cheap'.....

Sacred Vanguard

Smash Rookie
Ike is in. Marth is out. There is only room for one blue haired sword wielding male human. And dont give me this "they have diffrent sword style BS". If it's not blatantly obvious to you then your brain must be the size of a peanut.

He is right, only room for one blue hair sword wielder that is male...but, now I think personally, there is a good chance for the black night to show up.

BUT DANG IT ALL!!!
I wanna see some more screen shots of Ike
i wanna see what that guy can do with his power!

Salaad

Smash Ace
XD. People hate Marth because they got pwn'd by him because it's so hard to get around his reach. At least that's why I don't like him.

Yeah, I know everyone calls him "Cheap"..Look at Shiek, you can pull off ridiculously good combos very easily..

Oh, 7-up, if your logic is like that, then in Melee, Peach shouldn't be in and Zelda should, since they both have Blonde hair. There's only room for one plumber in Brawl, bye-bye Luigi...

No, it doesn't work like that. Just because he has Blue hair doesn't mean he should be out of Brawl.

DrewOwnws

Smash Rookie
Dunno much about the character so correct me if i'm wrong. I think Ike is an interesting character because he brings something that we have not seen. With the large weapon and strength, I assume he will be a slow but at the same time a strong and ranged. Kind of like.. nightmare. That's what came to my mind first when i saw him. First post btw.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
^^Wouldn't that make Marth the retro character? I fail to see the part where he doesn't get in. I said that Ike would be a better representative of the series, but that doesn't mean Marth is somehow a bad rep. Going by importance I said that Marth was the second most important character in the series as a whole, so it makes sense that he would be revealed second.
There is possibility that Marth will still appear, all I'm saying is that his chances have deminished now that Ike is clearly the main Fire Emblem lord - a title that many expected Marth to recieve, since he is the first lord in the series. This recent turn of events proves nothing, but it does support the theory that the older Japanese-only lord have been replaced to appeal to the new, global Fire Emblem fanbase.

Personaly, I'd like to see Ike's nemesis: the Black Knight more than Marth. They could certainly make Marth and Ike with unique movesets if they wanted, but I have to say I think BK has a greater potential for uniqueness.

+

OR

+

Obviously, it's possible that both might be included. But if it comes down to either Marth or the Black Knight, I say the later would be a better choice.

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
I hope that Ike in his lord clothes would be selectable when changing his colour, imo he looks better in lord clothes ^^

Tujex

Smash Ace
Ike and the DK wouldn't work...they're both power-types. Unless that make Ike a balanced character...which i can now kind of see happening.

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
I am now thinking why dont they make a game like smash but features fire emblem characters only lol

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
I want Marth back alongside Ike. While I am excited to see Ike, Marth had a very distinct, graceful look and style.

Just because Ike and Marth both have blue hair doesn't mean anything at all. Thats a HORRIBLE argument, IMO. Besides, their hairstyles are so different! Ike's hair is more messy and spikey, with a ragged band of fabric around his forehead, while marth's hair has bangs and looks combed down more, and he has that gold hair band on his head. Not to mention, their hairstyles really doesn't affect the way they are played or what their movesets are.

Maybe they think of Ike as the best new FE representative, so they revealed him first. Marth could still be a surprise unlockable character later on, or maybe Ike will wind up being the unlockable one while Marth is revealed later as being standard, or maybe Ike really did replace Marth.

Or maybe they have no real rhyme or reason, and they aren't saving the good stuff for last like so many people think, but are mixing up the tasty new info with the bland old or more boring info.

If Ike does replace Marth altogether, I would rather he have his own moves and such, rather than be a clone of Marth. It seems so unoriginal and uninteresting to just give Ike a bunch of moves that seem like they belong to someone else. Besides, whether you care or not, Ike and Marth really ARE pretty different- Marth is the sleek, graceful prince, while Ike is a strong calculating mercenary.

I hope aether will be a special move rather than a Final Smash, but if it is a FS, I won't mind. Does anyone know of any other vids of aether being used other than the vid that zKillah linked to?

Hong

The Strongest
I personally want the Black Knight because there is so many more possibilities to draw from his character, due to what they were able to make in a more recent time. (Which is kind of unfair.)

That and his character is amazing. He's not like a cheesy excessive badguy. Just very determined, realistic and with an ill intent. There are so many cool things they can do with him. The fact he's wearing some of the heaviest armor would make his running next to non-existant and his jumping horrible, but teleportation could give speed and recovery. (Though with the usual lag time that comes with b-up specials)

Marth is there more as a tribute, memorial reasons. The first Fire Emblem character that technically created the franchise. Whether he or the Black Knight make the cut, not like they can't make (assist) trophies.
It's not like I think Ike will be like Marth nor do I think they are alike, I just rather have a moderately balanced Ike and a slowpaced Black Knight. It's possible for all three, though.

Edit - This image was posted as well.

You know, if they got rid of the part where he throws the sword (due to technical reasons), it could make for a b-up. Whatever works.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think that the Castle Siege stage proves Marth has a legitimate chance of returning. It's not based off of any particular Fire Emblem game. That way, Castle Siege can represent all FE characters. So that tells me that they plan on having Fire Emblem characters from different games. If they were only going to include FE characters from one game, then they would have based the FE stage off of that game.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I think that the Castle Siege stage proves Marth has a legitimate chance of returning. It's not based off of any particular Fire Emblem game. That way, Castle Siege can represent all FE characters. So that tells me that they plan on having Fire Emblem characters from different games. If they were only going to include FE characters from one game, then they would have based the FE stage off of that game.
I agree 100%. It proves that there will be more than one Fire Emblem Rep in Brawl. Also >_> I higly doubt it, but I'm hoping Sakurai releases a sample of the music that is played during the Castle Siege stage, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a remix of a varitey of FE's music and it could perhaps give us a clue of what FE characters are in.

I like the stage though I wonder whats at the bottom.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Bah... my Ike confirmation thread got the closure treatment. Ah well... I thought considering the fact that the former suggestion threads are often cluttered with spam that it would be necessary to create a fresh thread once the character was actually confirmed... That was the impression I got when that new Zelda thread was created following her confirmation, despite there being SEVERAL Zelda threads prior to it's creation... Ah well, at least Ike is in and I'm very glad for that.

Anyways, here's an image celebrating Ike's arrival in Smash, brought to you courtesy of Mika:

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I now retain some hope of other Fire Emblem characters. There's no reason to have a generic castle if there was only one specific Fire Emblem game/universe represented in Smash. There has to be at least one more character for FE, and from a different game.

Then again, It probably won't be another English Lord, considering Ike is one. Sakurai doesn't like us that much.

Either way, my hopes for the FE representation are destroyed, and I'm surprised, even to myself, to say that I've just lost some interest in following the whereabouts of this game. Though, not enough to stop coming here.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I really don't understand what you mean by that Kabyk-Greenmyst isn't Ike popular world-wide? so I think someone FE7( The first Fire Emblem in the US) Has a good shot of making it in. Lyndis has a great chance of making into brawl due to her huge fanbase over here in America not to mention that she's the first female lord as well.

Anyway I'm not really to fond of 1 Fire Emblem game having more than one rep. ex Like since now Ike is in I don't think the Black Knight should be in because of that reason. Since Fire Emblem spans 10 games I really think that other characters from the other FE's should be explored.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
It's true that Ike is popular world-wide, but you have to remember, those Japanese people are self-centered. If it comes over here to the US, even if it has horrible sales while it booms over in Japan, they would still count it as a US character/game. I'm going to guess that Sakurai counts him as a non-Japanese character.

This is why I would rather Marth, Roy, Sigurd, or any other Japanese character be confirmed first, at least suggesting that he hasn't shown us his US character yet.

I was wondering if someone can find the sales reports again for the games. I think FE9 beat out FE7/8, but I beleive because it was on a console, and the GBA was already starting to decline from there. NOT because FE9 is a better game, which it most definitely is not, moreso the worst of the three.

My last hope is that FE10: Goddess of Dawn, changes my mind. From the look of the trailer, they are starting to understand more about the world, the characters, and the FE franchise in general, so all we can do is pray.

Top Bottom