• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Keto

Smash Journeyman
All I've been asking for since the SmashBros site reopened is for a newcomer, it finally happened! Ike looks so cool.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Here's to a worthy newcomer, and a possible less-secret hidden character with that warning screen above him. Never saw it for the other Newcomers. Plug for FE by showing him early? Wouldn't surprise me.

Been batting around a new main to take up along with Fox, probably a swordsman for the reach in smaller stages. Ike here looks like a possible candidate.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I remember standing up two hours past the usual update time, still seeing Pitfall listed, and was like screw it and went to bed. I was expecting something like some random stage, item, music, or Metaknight, but I didn't expect a newcomer.
save feeling here, Sakurai really threw us off this time.

also, Just because Ike is confirmed doesnt mean Marth is deconfirmed. Both of these characters serve a great amount of importance in the Fire emblem series.

another thing is that sakurai put up a "Warning, Challenger Approaching." what could this mean? does this mean he is an unlockable character? because taht way we are sure that he will post all characters including unlockables on the site, which is a good thing.

WR3K

Smash Ace
Meaning that you have absolutely no reason to believe that those screen shots are Ike using Aether. Those shots could be of anything. Although, since I'm assuming that the creators of this game would at least try to make it look like what it's supposed to be, and none of the shots look anything like what Ike looks like before, after or during Aether, it hardly seems likely that any of them are.
i ment, it a shot of the supposed aether "hit" the only point worth taking of... (as in, he could have done any sword twirling relative to the game before the strike) if it is or isnt the aether move only TIME will tell.... but do you think any of his brawl moves or going to be one for one with his game's moves, marth's and roy's werent

plus, none of the characters hit by it are getting knocked away so it is atleast SOME KIND of special Ike only move

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Ike seems amazing and badass,probably the coolest(visually) sword-wielder so far. I hope Marth gets in Brawl so the blue-haired swordsman can reign supreme!

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie
i ment, it a shot of the supposed aether "hit" the only point worth taking of... (as in, he could have done any sword twirling relative to the game before the strike) if it is or isnt the aether move only TIME will tell.... but do you think any of his brawl moves or going to be one for one with his game's moves, marth's and roy's werent

plus, none of the characters hit by it are getting knocked away so it is atleast SOME KIND of special Ike only move
There weren't any specials in the Fire Emblem games that Marth and Roy come from. There wasn't really anything to get wrong. I'm not saying that everything's going to look exactly like it did in Ike's game. I'm saying that that it's going to look at least something like it. All of those pictures look nothing like Aether. Neither do they look like he's just finished performing Aether.
In fact, in the two screenshots you mentioned in particular, it doesn't even look like Ike's even hit them. So first, we have Ike's sword not touching Samus, followed by Ike's not even having begun to attack Link. From this (two shots of Ike not hitting anything), you somehow know that Aether doesn't knock characters back. Can't argue with that logic...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I was pretty excited to see a new character in the update.

I don't know much about Ike, but he looks awesome and I can't wait to play him.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Why are people saying that Ike is going to replace Marth? Just look at what Sakurai said on the main page:
The fact that he can wield a two-handed sword with a single hand is a testament to his magnificent strength.
Try for a single-stroke finishing blow with his mighty blade!
That's so Roy! Two handed sword? One handing? Magnificent strength?

Last time I checked Marth used a rapier primarily, which is why you need to tipper it in Melee. The idea that they'd replace Marth's quick comboing (and everything else he does) with a mighty broadsword is laughable at best.

Now if they're leaving Ike in, alone, and nobody else from Fire Emblem, maybe. But I doubt it.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Now let's go over those screen shots again...

So far, he doesn't look like he fights like neither Marth nor Roy to me. I'm not seeing anything that comes close to Aether in any of those screen shots.

PS... I have feeling this post was very unfriendly to those on 56k. :(

GenG

Smash Lord
If Ike doesn't have tippers, then he won't fight anything like Marth even with the same moves. Tippers placement (or not placement) is what made Marth, Marth.

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie
Why are people saying that Ike is going to replace Marth? Just look at what Sakurai said on the main page:

That's so Roy! Two handed sword? One handing? Magnificent strength?

Last time I checked Marth used a rapier primarily, which is why you need to tipper it in Melee. The idea that they'd replace Marth's quick comboing (and everything else he does) with a mighty broadsword is laughable at best.

Now if they're leaving Ike in, alone, and nobody else from Fire Emblem, maybe. But I doubt it.
The sword that Marth uses in Melee (Falcion) is hardly a rapier. it's nearly as big as Roy's Sword of Seals on its own. Ike was by no means slow in his game either. By the end, he was strong enough that even very heavy weapons didn't hinder his speed all that much. Of course, they could very well make him slower in Brawl...

saberhof

Smash Master
this might be the great end to the amazing marth...=O we will have to wait till they put up his move set of something...>_>

If you give a character too much potential, people will come to exploit it sooner or later. There's no point in debating how hard he is to master when his moves are ridiculous on any level, unless you're talking about top tier vs. top tier. And just what does Marth do to any character that isn't top tier, CF, or ICs? He destroys them. I despise him, his ridiculous 40% tipper KOs, his camping game, and his 100% damage edgeguards just as much any asset of any other top tier.

Lol at hinting Marth would be unable to get grabs when he wants to, btw.

Besides that, I think Ike might be a replacement to Marth as the Fire Emblem representative. Marth's never even appeared in a FE game released in the states, so Ike would be a more recognizable character on a much wider level.
I smell biased in your statement.

Those 40% tipper kills aren't as easy to do as one would assume(Unless you have crappy DI). As far as nerfing Marth goes, I would just reduce his grab range.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
That's crazy, though... how Ike just came out of nowhere....

Ha, I know laugh to those who thought Marth was going to come before Ike!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If only his sword wasn't so phallic.
What's funner than whacking people with a big metal phallus, though?

(yes, I know "funner" isn't a word)

As for Ike, I'd say this axes Marth because people would confuse them for the same character otherwise.

I'd rather we got Lyndis or one of the massive warriors from FE as a second character, or maybe a villain.

Salaad

Smash Ace
They wouldn't leave FE with only one rep..would they?

I really want to see Marth returning.

The tip of Ike's sword is heavier than the rest because of the bud head so I expect to see tippers maybe. I'm also predicting an FE stage tonight. xD

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Marth could easily be one of Ike's alt costumes.

They look far too similar to have both in the game.

GenG

Smash Lord
Yeah, just like people mistook Jigglypuff and Kirby, or Mario and Luigi.

Seriously, that's a lame argument. Marth and Ike aren't remotely similar, but if they were, one won't be cut by that solely reason. All the worthy and fan requested FE main characters have blue hair and capes, there's nothing they can do.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Now let's go over those screen shots again...
Ok!

Ike's possible taunt.

[/QUOTE]
Sword Dance (Side B)- 4th down combo

Neutral air A - second strike

Neutral A - second strike

So far, he doesn't look like he fights like neither Marth nor Roy to me. I'm not seeing anything that comes close to Aether in any of those screen shots.
Nonsense!

PS... I have feeling this post was very unfriendly to those on 56k. :(
who know?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am not a FE fan, but Ike looks good. Much cooler than Roy and Marth.

But I hope he is the only FE representative. Marth would look too similar during gameplay, even if their models had many different details. Plus I do not think other lord/ sword characters in FE can be that different then each other. It is still a sword swinging in one direction or another.

One character can easily represent the series strategy based game alone. Just like Captain Falcon can represent the fast paced action of his series alone.

This leaves room for other series. And with new techniques (crawling, footstool jumping, final smashes) and deeper gameplay, I do not think there will be more then 35 characters. Maybe just 30.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
He's not built as a speed character, and with that sword there's no way he could be the new Marth. I can see him as a replacement of Roy, because any slower than that and he's the new Bowser. Roy's problem was just being a stat change with some fire effects thrown in, this guy seems designed as a heavy hitter. Good reach, powerful weapon and physical attacks, but I doubt he'd be exceptionally fast. This can lead to a mid-speed, heavier power playing style unlike anything in Melee. No projectiles, give him a shorter jump, this guy could be a solid character for 3-4 player matches with everyone in the fray. I can see him as a hidden character with the warning screen and his supposed style being both solid and new.

A Marth vs Ike fight could come down to speed versus power. He's not a broken clone, he could be the Anti-Marth in theory. Ike could either bring up a new kind of player, or the Marth players would split down the middle favoring one or the other.

Pending Ike is an exposed unlockable to advertise for the new game, I'll go out of my way to unlock him before the others. Just that hidden character match alone might show off his real style. Clone, the new Marth, or something else entirely...?

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie
I am not a FE fan, but Ike looks good. Much cooler than Roy and Marth.

But I hope he is the only FE representative. Marth would look too similar during gameplay, even if their models had many different details. Plus I do not think other lord/ sword characters in FE can be that different then each other. It is still a sword swinging in one direction or another.

One character can easily represent the series strategy based game alone. Just like Captain Falcon can represent the fast paced action of his series alone.

This leaves room for other series. And with new techniques (crawling, footstool jumping, final smashes) and deeper gameplay, I do not think there will be more then 35 characters. Maybe just 30.
Ike's sword has a ranged attack, and he has a special, both things that Marth and Roy don't have. The other Japanese only sword user lords would probably be fairly similar, but a speed/critical based lord, like LYn or Eirika (the latter so unlikely that she's barely worth mentioning) would be quite different. Also, there are Lords that use different kind of weapons as well: Ephraim (spears), Hector (axes), Sothe (knives), Micaiah (light magic) and so forth.

He's not built as a speed character, and with that sword there's no way he could be the new Marth. I can see him as a replacement of Roy, because any slower than that and he's the new Bowser. Roy's problem was just being a stat change with some fire effects thrown in, this guy seems designed as a heavy hitter. Good reach, powerful weapon and physical attacks, but I doubt he'd be exceptionally fast. This can lead to a mid-speed, heavier power playing style unlike anything in Melee. No projectiles, give him a shorter jump, this guy could be a solid character for 3-4 player matches with everyone in the fray. I can see him as a hidden character with the warning screen and his supposed style being both solid and new.

A Marth vs Ike fight could come down to speed versus power. He's not a broken clone, he could be the Anti-Marth in theory. Ike could either bring up a new kind of player, or the Marth players would split down the middle favoring one or the other.

Pending Ike is an exposed unlockable to advertise for the new game, I'll go out of my way to unlock him before the others. Just that hidden character match alone might show off his real style. Clone, the new Marth, or something else entirely...?
It's been said at least twice before that Ike would almost certainly have a projectile attack. His sword's magic or something of the sort and can do a wave... thing.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
My computer is too crappy to load all of these pages, and even then, I'm much too lazy to actually read them all.

I say things look grim for Roy now (booo, I need one of my mains, shiiiit xD), but... I was pretty sure that the Melee FE symbol was Marth's Falchion, and hoo. We have the same symbol here in Brawl. If both of Melee's FE representatives were to be replaced, why the hellz wouldn't they have sat down and taken a few seconds to redesign the **** symbol?!

If this has already been brought up, ignore me by all means, I said I was too lazy to search the thread all the way through <3

Salaad

Smash Ace
Maybe his B attack?

All for Marth returning say aye!

Aye..

Does anyone else think that Ike will be hitting tippers? The tip of his sword is heavier than the rest so all the power would be at the tip...

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
To even guess how this guy works, we'd need a new video with him in it, a special moves update, or in the very least some more action shots. By posing and design I pulled out the power over speed theory, but I can't get any farther without making things up based on nothing. Amazed no one jumped out and said this confirmed online mode.

Wait...Ike...Internet...SAME FIRST LETTERS! SCORE!

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
this is pretty much pointless but on the 1st pic ike looks a lil cockeyed, hope they fix him up, anyways i think ike will be more like roy than marth, he seems slower and stronger than marth, kinda like roy was, slower and stronger(i know he is slower but i THINK he can b stronger, if compared his center with marth's tip, i think roy's center is stronger, didn't experiment it tho.

~rh

Smash Lord
If Ike is anything like Marth, got a new main :p

Just time to wait and see when this is released!

I'm so excited xD

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I would like to say that why would Sakurai have confirmed Ike before Marth if Marth is still in the game? We all know he has been confirming characters from the last game recently. Why would he not confirm Marth? He obviously wanted to confirm a Fire Emblem character so he could do an update for the castle stage.

And also, does anyone think that the 4th screen looks like he is about to do Marth's neutral A?

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I'm thinking Ike can be high tier. He can be similar to Captain Falcon in attack speed and power (Captain Falcon is middle tier, almost high tier, amirite?) except he has range, unlike Captain Falcon.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
The way he looks on Brawl, man, I was just like, wow Ike a Fire Emblem swordsmen has never evvvver looked sooo good!

I'm so worried though.....that Marth will be removed from the game...

Top Bottom