• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
lmfao at Bored but I don't get Light's. :[
Well what did you read when you looked it up? Cause if you read what I read there's no way you wouldn't get it, lol. It was the very first thing that came up in the Google search.

Edit: Besides, Newfoundland has the best city names in the world. You might find one or two odd city names in a normal state/province but Newfoundland has too many to count:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conception_Bay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobies,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Adventure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart's_Desire,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador

There's some more that I didn't feel like linking... like Mosquito, Porridge Cove, Random Head, Venison Tickle and Witless Bay. Feel free to look any of those up, they all exist. So yah, you ain't got nothin' on NFLD as far as amazing town names go.

:034:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Las Vegas actually has coupons for that kinda thing, Nys.
I've even seen some specials, like $20.00 off and things like that.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, it's either really obvious what you mean or I'm missing the joke completely. It depends what kind of thing from my post you're referring to.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, that first YouTube video was posted on my local smash Facebook group. When you know it's just a hacked video game it's more funny than creepy, what with Link spontaneously combusting while trying to play the Ocarina. I'll have to read this story though if it's really that good.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Well what did you read when you looked it up? Cause if you read what I read there's no way you wouldn't get it, lol. It was the very first thing that came up in the Google search.
Arminta St with a map.
Idk what that means. =/

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol, now halfway through reading the creepypasta. however im not good with it so i really should stop reading

no, i really suck at horror/creepy. not reading anymore the video got about 15 seconds in and i decided the fact its actually been done is too much

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
While I was reading the story of BEN, the only thing running in my head besides fake was that the game itself was too old and it just gets glitchy due to old age (if that even makes sense). Also lol at Iof's screamer vid. I immediately recognized it as I saw the car and the green scenery. Wasn't that a commercial to get people to work or something? Screamers are so old. lrn2readcomments.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Let's talk about Ike.

So, I'm trying to master platform canceling. While doing it for a bit on Lylat, I did a bair and platform canceled where the bair actually seemed to come out. Is there a way we can find a use for this and possibly cancel some of these aerials with a platform cancel?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I've been using Dair to platform cancel on moving platforms. 'Been playing around with it, but I don't know how useful it would be in tournament. I have concluded in my mind that it would be merely a gimmick and nothing more, though.

Light, just a question about Ace Attorney: who do you think out of the series is the most sinister, wicked criminal?

Shaky

Smash Ace
I use dair to platform cancel too, with my new Ike main skills (Better than San's).

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can platform cancel with light shield, special moves, and attacks and they're all the same. I was wondering if anyone can pull off actually bairing and then platform canceling.

Only practical use I can see so far is if that bair platform cancel is possible (not likely), SV-ledge jump to platform cancel, and platform cancel jab or dash away, which full hop nair or short hop bair works just as well on platforms.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've been using Dair to platform cancel on moving platforms. 'Been playing around with it, but I don't know how useful it would be in tournament. I have concluded in my mind that it would be merely a gimmick and nothing more, though.

Light, just a question about Ace Attorney: who do you think out of the series is the most sinister, wicked criminal?
Oh man...the first game? Damon Gant was a total douche. Pissed me off to no end.

San, can you clarify for me. Platform canceling is falling through the platform or jumping onto it?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Jumping into it, then inputting down (or some sort of fastfall) and input (attack, grab, w/e) on moving platforms. Holding diagonal down forward works fine for instant dashing, which is useless for Ike unless you want to do a falling bair from platform easier.

I'm only learning it so I can be better on 2 stages that I need to get better on: SV and Lylat. I'm decent on lylat, but I would pick BF and PS1 over Lylat (neutrals), and I want 3 good options.

EDIT: Damon Gant was awesome

and

I use dair to platform cancel too, with my new Ike main skills (Better than San's).
Prob better than your Lucario =)

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I've been liking FD, except against characters with very good stage control (i.e. Diddy, Falco, etc.). The only reason I would go to FD is so that I can scope out my opponent.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
You don't actually have to input anything other than down to platform cancel.
San, you're saying you can Bair with the hitbox out and platform cancel it? .-.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'd rather play Diddy and Falco on FD than marth. Snake the worst, though. Maybe not anymore since I got better, but I still ban FD in most of my sets.

Snake and characters fast on the ground I personally don't do as well against on FD.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
That's really a great question, Mr. Doom. I was thinking about that a while ago and I'm glad to have the opportunity to share my thoughts on the matter.

Out of the 5 games in the series (PW1-3, AJ and AAI) there are 5 candidates for what could be considered to be a major villain. These include:

- Manfred von Karma (PW1; Case 4)
- Damon Gant (PW1; Case 5)
- Dahlia Hawthorne (PW3; multiple cases)
- Kristoph Gavin (AJ; multiple cases)
- Quercus Alba (AAI; Case 5)

Justice for all had weak villains, so it's out of the running. Now then:

- Manfred von Karma is a perfectionist gone wrong, there's nothing else about his personality. Everything is an 'ends require the means' ordeal with this guy. He is the cause of 2 murders in the game. The first one is when he finds Gregory Edgeworth knocked out in the elevator and, as he has just suffered his only penalty in court, decides to take it out on Edgeworth. If it stopped there, he'd be dead last in terms of evilness. He then, however, adopted Miles Edgeworth, trained him to be closer to his image than his father's and THEN set up an elaborate scheme to trap Miles and have him accused of the murder of his father. It was a perfect plan and very diabolical but it's not 'evil' per say. It's just what was needed to remove every trace of von Karma's penalty in court.

- Damon Gant is a much more believable villain than von Karma is, to his credit. What he did was pretty much he set up a a scene in which three people were unconscious in the following manner: He killed one of them, made it look (to the public) like person two killed him so as to get the death penalty for person two and then (privately) forged incriminating evidence against person 3, Ema Skye. This forged evidence was used to keep Lana Skye in check for two whole years, allowing him to do as he pleased. His crimes came to light as he tried to off Bruce Goodman for poking his nose into the affairs. Despite all of this, however, he wasn't a bad person. He was clever and calculating, and a murderer, but he wasn't really as evil as the next two "contestants."

- Dahlia Hawthorne ties for first place in the evil category. She did everything imaginable with absolutely zero remorse for her actions whatsoever. She started off by stealing from her father and running away, blaming her co-conspirator, giving him a poison necklace in case he ever goes to testify (which would kill him instantly), poisons someone else snooping into the case and then hands the necklace to Phoenix Wright. Then she attempts to kill Wright for not handing back the necklace (and kills someone else too!). All of this under the guise of a sweet innocent girl. This was all incredibly clever and evil but she then returns from the dead after her execution and attempts to kill even more people. Her deep hatred and calculating schemes make her tied for #1.

- Kristoph Gavin is also tied for #1 just for the sheer planning capacity he had in everything he did. While defending someone in a murder case, he forges evidence and gives the forgers poisoned items so that as soon as they try to do anything behind his back they'll die. He later is unexpectedly booted from the case and Phoenix Wright is meant to take over. He then lets slip that the evidence is forged and manages to get PW's license revoked! As if this wasn't enough, as soon as Shadi Smith (Zak Gramarye) returned to talk with Phoenix Wright, Gavin offs Smith with a bottle to the head and tries to convict Wright. The sheer tenacity / planning of this man, along with his insane breakdown in court are what tie him with Dahlia.

- Quercus Alba really isn't in the same league as the last two, he just has no remorse. There's not really too much to say about him except for the fact that while his plans are really good, he left too much evidence laying about to the point where the only thing he has going for him is that he used diplomatic immunity to 'guarantee' safety. He's really not that evil, just remorseless.

Tier list of evil probably goes:

1) Hawthorne
1) Gavin
3) von Karma
4) Gant
5) Alba

That was way longer than I intended for it to be, but I hope it helps regardless.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Yeah, I kind of figured you would say Hawthorne is #1 in the evil list, then Gavin, von Karma, and Gant. (I have yet to go through Ace Attorney Investigations, though.) I still think Gavin has the most epic breakdown of all of them. The guy goes Super Saiyan for crying out loud. >_>

Your information may have been lengthy, but I would like for you to add that to your testimony.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Why did I think we were only talking about the first PW game? Oh well, yea Dalia was...my god. What a nut. Just thinking about the whole plot of that...-shivers-.

Gavin was pretty insane as well. Planned everything out...then again, Wright bested him some 20 years later or whatever.

I'd rather play Diddy and Falco on FD than marth. Snake the worst, though. Maybe not anymore since I got better, but I still ban FD in most of my sets.

Snake and characters fast on the ground I personally don't do as well against on FD.
Really? Personally I find it super gay to constantly be trying to outread a Falco when all he does is phantasm and laser back and forth on FD.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
well, you can dash attack underneath SHDL so falco should be playing safe with hops back and single laser when at dash attack distance (which is a pretty large range), which isn't nearly as effective and drives him into a corner.

Phantasm can be jabbed on readiness (knowing that it's going to come) many times, or you can dash away and shield and done. Phantasm can be aimed above jab to remain safer, but it takes more setup with a hop thinking that you'll laser instead of phantasm upon landing (where you'll probably just be shielding)

Falco also has less recovery tricks on this stage as far as I'm aware, at least compared to platformed stages.

It depends on your preference. We can still do stuff here. I just don't like the stage much so I ban it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Light, you see the scans of the new Edgeworth game? Though there aren't many details to it yet.

I think we should learn to figure out when we should jab Falco's phantasm. I know it depends on how far he is from us, but given how most of the time he likes doing it from the edge, perhaps we should look for some sound or visual cue into when we should jab?

Edit: That old grandma lady obsessed with Edgeworth is true evil.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Light, you see the scans of the new Edgeworth game? Though there aren't many details to it yet.

Edit: That old grandma lady obsessed with Edgeworth is true evil.
Don't want to get too hyped for the new Edgeworth game YET but I am looking forward to it.

And yeah, Wendy Oldbag was the devil incarnate. She managed to appear not once but TWICE in the newest game.

Top Bottom