• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well i'm assuming green/blue connection. If its yellow or worse, then you can still try to PS, cause the other guy is also gonna off his timing too for things.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well i'm assuming green/blue connection. If its yellow or worse, then you can still try to PS, cause the other guy is also gonna off his timing too for things.
Isn't there still a 2 ms delay on even a blue connection? I dunno, I just never got used to wifi for whatever reason.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I got a lot of Link experience lol. I can say that Link is really easy to pressure due to his lack of very fast moves. Spam jab at close range it's twice as fast as his fastest ground move. If you time the Nair on his shield with perfect landing it's safe on Link's shield. If you do it right the only projectile that should give Ike any trouble are his Bombs. And of course edge guard and abuse the fact that during the 1st 20 frames or something of Link's Up b it doesn't autosweetspot and if you predict that the Link will tether recover while recovering, do a walk-off Dair for a stock. Bombs and Zair are the only problematic things for me, but they're still beatable because Link can't space with Zair well every time thanks to his awful mobility. You can also dash attack if you predict the Zair and are in a good spot away from him. Also beware of Link's range of his sword being comparable to our in general.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Also, you know how Link uses DownB and Zair to stop himself from hitting the death border? Does Ike have any method of stopping himself. I usually do a Bair, but I doubt that does anything...I just got into the mechanics of Brawl and Melee so that's why I'm so lame with this stuff :embarrass: Maybe someday I might be able to compete at a tournament without being put to shame xD
Umm, do you mean ways of stopping oursolves from dying or ways of stopping link from using those recoveries? If its the former then read ussi's post, if its the latter then learn how to quickgrab the ledge (which is running towards the edge and performing a half-circle back towards the stage as soon as you fall off) and youll pretty much screw over any zair attempt

Isn't there still a 2 ms delay on even a blue connection? I dunno, I just never got used to wifi for whatever reason.
IIRC theres always 2 frames of delay, and then some of top of that depending on how bad your connection is

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yea you still lag with a blue connection, but a wifi player should be able to adapt to wifi fluctuations at a green/blue level, that's a skill you need to be a wifi player.

it's kinda like playing on a projectile

XstrawberrygoddessX

Smash Apprentice
:urg:So much to remember! I need to train more but computer is so predictable...and I try and get a 1 on1 online but most of the time nobody understands the signal:mad::phone:Or I get a group of idiots with items on high. And no one who I've friended online plays fair so I'm down to five who are never on...sigh

:phone:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ah, i think i see your problem XD
try going onto allisbrawl.com and going into one of the chat rooms for playing online, its all nicely organised there, for playing wifi at least

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm still the Ike mentor so you can always ask me to play you to give you tips and advice.

Best place to find people to play is allisbrawl, or AiB for short

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
And no one who I've friended online plays fair
Plays fair? What do you mean? In terms of playing competitively, there's hardly such a thing as "playing fair" or not. There's just playing to win. When you've improved enough, it's entirely possible that people at every level you've surpassed will even call you unfair, because they can't beat you.

If you don't mind me asking-- Where are you from?
What's up with all the helpfulness and being nice to newcomers? Am I still on the Ike boards?
We respond well to humility and people who want to improve.

We only do our best to extirpate blatant arrogance/stupidity/closed-mindedness.

XstrawberrygoddessX

Smash Apprentice
No, I mean..I don't know...sorry. :^P I make no sense.. I am originally from Arizona , but because of my moms job we moved to California last year. The weathers so different...(stops rambling)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Barely snowed at all this winter. So nice.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Plays fair? What do you mean? In terms of playing competitively, there's hardly such a thing as "playing fair" or not. There's just playing to win. When you've improved enough, it's entirely possible that people at every level you've surpassed will even call you unfair, because they can't beat you.
I think strawberry has been playing in the 'play anyone' rooms on wifi, which means getting a proper match with someone can be difficult, you cant learn to improve when its a FFA with smash balls on temple, after all.

Let Texas have some snow, please. It's about cold enough. Just no precipitation.
Most useless kind of weather. =|

Also, did Bill Cosby win a raffle to name that man?
take my snow, I'm sick of it now

and i lost

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
So, there I am, chilling out on Battlefield when I **** up and suddenly I'm launched into the air and, for whatever reason, find myself standing (or lying) on a platform with an ******* under me like G&W or Marth or miscellaneous character who's ability to pressure platforms is good enough to frustrate me. A short time later, I find myself 60% higher and recovering from offstage with my lead evaporated.

Not cool.

I understand that being on a platform above an opponent that wants you there is a terrible position, but that's all the more reason to look for my best strategy to rectify the situation and either reset to neutral or gain some advantage. So what generic options should I be looking to stock my toolbox with?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Time your get up, mindgames. SDI their juggle if its multihit like G&W's nair. Tech..

This isn't Ike specific since this happens to everyone..

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ike specific's though, if I'm on a platform above someone. I'll probably jump and airdodge and work from what they do. But if I think they're definetely coming up to get me, then ill fullhop and D-air. Or if i think theyre going to do an U-tilt or something. Then I'll run off the side of the platform and b-air. Both of which are kinda hard reads though...and other better players will probably tell you to do something different. Just my 2 cents

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well see, I only got 6 hours of sleep (while waking up multiple times), so coffee did save me today. Though even when I was getting 8 hours over break, and waking up every morning to work...I'd rather have coffee to ensure I don't screw up at work, which btw did involve a lot of number crunching. You can't "will" yourself on a 9-4 shift all the way.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
never liked coffee tbh, and tea has caffeine in it too. so thats my problem solves
I can will yourself doing 8-5, but thats only physically demanding work, something mentally straining would definitely need that caffeine boost.
Also, UK is the new capital of diddy kong, everyones using him now -__-

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Time your get up, mindgames. SDI their juggle if its multihit like G&W's nair. Tech..

This isn't Ike specific since this happens to everyone..
I'm not worried about recovering from a prone position. I'm worried about getting off the platform because under me is the last place I want people.

ike specific's though, if I'm on a platform above someone. I'll probably jump and airdodge and work from what they do. But if I think they're definetely coming up to get me, then ill fullhop and D-air. Or if i think theyre going to do an U-tilt or something. Then I'll run off the side of the platform and b-air. Both of which are kinda hard reads though...and other better players will probably tell you to do something different. Just my 2 cents
Yeah, I see you. I figured it's just that the character's options aren't too well designed for the situation which is simply a part of the package.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
counter, dair (both are risky), shield (tilt down) slide off bair, jump, QD onto a higher platform, do what they do to you to get off a platform.

Top Bottom