• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
DACAS = Dash Attack Cancel Aura Sphere obviously.

I've always wondered what it's like to use the L button... Probably the least used button on my Gamecube controller for any game.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ussi.. Who didn't know that?

Using the c-stick is easier for me since I use L as jump, so I can buffer it.

I don't really recommend using nairs without c-stick because it's hard to space well regardless.

I recommend people fast fall their nairs (and even fair) less, and simply retreat, too.
I've been trying to ledge hop nair with the R + cstick always ._.;; then I just did it with Y + A with a thumb slide and it worked.

What about FF late with nair?

DACAS = Dash attack cancel ANGER smash?

Also nooooo. Attack stick is NOT only for retreating Nair. It's for ALL Nair.
Also... if you don't know how to buffer Bthrow->DA by now, stop playing Ike.
I know how to buffer, I just sometimes mess it up. And not everyone can buffer a dash attack its a pretty complex input of flicking both the control and c stick instead of pressing a button and/or direction. I'm just spreading knowledge to make buffering a dash attack easier.

also, lol at my dacus typo :x

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
As long as you can double jump onstage, you can double jump nair onstage too.

One thing I was experimenting with is jab1->turnaround usmash as a mixup. The way Ike distorts his hurtbox, it should punish a lot of attempts to punish you.

Some other things:

bthrow->downwards ftilt works near walls (good if you can't regrab)

Fthrow chaingrab on slope on dessert portion of PS1 on heavies

Upsmash while Frigate Orpheon is switching has a huge hitbox and can combo to other aerials like bair.

Jab2->jab1 guaranteed if in range, just buffer correctly,
jab1 has a hitbox near the end of it that has few options out of jab cancel

Uair is as fast as nair, the hitbox just begins behind you.

Fair might lead to some guaranteed followups at low%.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
.. well 've always seen that fair > jab combo

jab > pivot usmash sounds interesting, I'd think it'd be better to jab1 > jab1 so they are higher in the air

the dessert portion of PS1? .. desert? or is there a tasty part of PS1 i've been missing out on? In seriousness, what would that be? A big slant?

on Frigate, usmash would be out even while it moved Ike? Pretty sweet cancel that into a bair like a slide off.

like tipper of jab 1? I know the tip of jab 1 can be ducked under.. (by Pikachu's duck height at least)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
All I wanted to do was point out the dessert typo. But someone got here first.

Moving on:
I sort of want to try this jab to pivot Usmash thing. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet... want to try it out.
Bthrow- downward Ftilt... I have actually thought of this, but never tried it. Now I again want to try it, since someone says it works.
Not as sure of the Fair into other stuff. And the Upsmash gimmick on Frigate just doesn't seem practical.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Oops about the desert typo, was thinking in double negative and was working until 4AM. And yeah, everyone should know about this and most of the other things by now.

About jab to usmash:

it does sound pretty slow, but the goal is to provide an up-close situation where it is pretty safe to throw out something like a usmash, instead of just running up to them from a neutral position or from hitting them out of airdodge or under an attack. Jabbing + the combination of turnaround and usmash makes Ike retreat a little from the opponent, and minimizes his hurtbox. The combination of all 3 would make it easy to punish most attempted aerials, or at least make it so they can't punish you easily OoS.

Ideally, you want to try jab to usmash near the edge of the stage, and the jab must pop them up. Pop up because If they land too quickly, they may be able to punish. It's pretty noticeable whether they pop up or not, similar to cases where jab->utilt may work.

You don't necessarily want to dash to usmash because the opponent will more often than not be in a defensive position of trying to get out more than actually chasing you. If the opponent stands still, you will miss, and it is much easier to punish usmash that completely misses instead of hitting your shield.

The jab to usmash has a few key weaknesses that I'm trying to assess:

1. Powershields when landing
2. Spotdodges

#1 would be more annoying. Usmash is by no means a combo, but you are attempting to frame trap them within shield or landing so you remain safe. These accidental powershields are something to look out for.

Spot dodges aren't too bad as long as they can't spot dodge early so they can punish you.

Obviously, holding solves some of these problems but creates others. You can also do a Mr. Doom and usmash at the edge, so even if the opponent powershields, you slide offstage to safety.

@Brett (about usmash on frigate):
It's only practical in the sense that you can extrapolate that line of thinking towards pretty much hitting any opponent's shield (or no) with an attack (as long as you're on the ground) and following it up with another aerial after stage transition. Usmash is just the hugest/most flashy since the attack is out for like 12 frames or so.

You can always grab the opponent and throw them under the stage towards the left while the stage is turning, too.

People should also try to be more aggressive with edge guards, most of our moveset is useful:
fair, dair, back-wards facing uair, bair,
aether, ledgehop bair/dair/nair, aether or uair them as they are going onstage,
fair/downwards ftilt/dair, even reverse uair opponents at the ledge and time it right when their invincibility ends, etc.

Powershield jabs can also pretty much go through almost any attack. If you time it correctly, it can even beat out MK's fair inbetween hits. It's okay to dash+shield because of sliding, but it's not wise to sit there in shield, since we slide a fair bit and decreases our chance to punish. Power shield jabs is how I get quite a bit of damage from skilled opponents.

Lots of Ikes I see are decent at getting hits, but are very poor at understanding how to followup attacks, so they are throttling their own damage potential. To cut it short, all people really need to do at least is to spam uair when other players are landing on platforms, and force edgeslips more often. Of course there are other things like air dodge frame traps and juggling,

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Oh. I see what you mean about Frigate now.

I think Jab to pivot Usmash could be a great idea... against Mario bros and the like, for sure. I think Marth's Fair may still be big enough to hit, but that isn't certain, I suppose.

I agree with you, San, about Ikes getting hits and not following them up. However, another thing I notice is less-than-perfect spacing and, here's the bigger one, poor zoning/stage control.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I sometimes have trouble landing huge hits because I never really throw them out. I don't want to revert to the point where I never use smashes again. There were times I forgot just how powerful/how much reward we receive from them recently.

I mentioned being up til 3-4AM earlier. I was doing a lab report. Started again at 9AM and finished at 12:57. It was just due 6 minutes ago at 1. Ended up being 20 pages ffs.

It was stressful since I had to create a flowchart in like 20 minutes and just found any random site and signed up lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So Brett just had some silly gay bro moment. Called me up an hour ago and told me he's driving up here to hang out with me. Didn't give me a chance to answer.

Wut.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
The thing on landing hits but not following up is true. I noticed it myself and I'm thinking to myself: "Why am I not doing anything else?" Though I have been liking Uair a lot recently and have been using it often, but not many opportunities for me to use it come up.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike's smashes are hard to use.. cause you get punished if you do it wrong. We should be aiming for usmash sliding off the stage more often.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ussi, you gotta take it from a conservative and stubborn minded perspective. Everything you think, has to be right.

Btw, I like how you call it old, when it was published 15 hours ago.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The results of the MW3 vs BF3 poll has been known for over a week already; it even says in the article it happened last week. Apparently through some last minute votes MW3's campaign beat out BF3's. As it should.

As for the MP: judging by the metacritic issue with everybody and their mother bombing MW3's score while giving BF3 10s, it's just the popular thing to hate CoD atm. They'll smarten up eventually. BFBC2 was very popular when it first came out, but it died away to second fiddle. Same thing will probably happen again.

EDIT: That is also for the PC versions of the games, which BF3 is optimized for. I care about the 360/PS3 versions as I don't PC game really.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't know where it says the results were published a week ago. The polling was a week ago.

And that's unfair to say we should exclude the PC version of BF3. One can say that MW3 was optimized for the consoles.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The polling started a week again, and almost every category had the same positioning for the games throughout the thing. I've been linked to it multiple times already. It's old to me.

Even the BF3 fans are saying the PC version is a lot better than the console versions. With MW3, I haven't heard much about one being better than the other, unlike with Black Ops.

Blame Dice for not making the two versions equal.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That's like saying blame Bethseda for not making Skyrim/Fallout = to its console versions. Blame Crytek for not making Crysis 2 on PC = to its console versions. Blame Bioware for not equalizing Dragon Age consoles to PC. The list goes on and on.

PCs are constantly being updated. It's the downside to purchasing a console for the trade off being it's simple to plug and play.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Bluntly? I most likely would blame those companies for those differences.

It's one thing to only have differences in graphics, that's a natural difference. When features are reduced or all together removed? No, that's the company's fault, particularly since it's not consistent as to which side has the better version for games.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
I slightly agree that PCs are still better because you can update **** without spending 1000 dollars, you know

But i also agree that Gameplay > Graphics.

PS3 has always the same ****, always someone shooting someone

While in the wii we have marf pwning ike (expecting flame from ike mains)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
PS3 has my envy for having a lot of RPGs like Tales of Xillia on it :[

Wii is a system made for casuals given the games produced for it

Heartstring

Smash Legend
so guys, just finished the tournament which both me and blubo went to.
looks like i need to remove this quote from my sig because it was absolutely garbage.

Anyway, we played a few friendlies and either he is really good, or im a scrub, im willing to believe its both
post smash-flop depression, kbye

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wii has quite a few good games. Still waiting for Rhythm Heaven.

I have two 360s gathering dust since the PC pretty much nullifies its (and PS3's) existence.

DS+PC+Wii is enough for me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bluntly? I most likely would blame those companies for those differences.

It's one thing to only have differences in graphics, that's a natural difference. When features are reduced or all together removed? No, that's the company's fault, particularly since it's not consistent as to which side has the better version for games.
I think that's unfair for developers to be forced to bog down to console standards. I mean, if Sony and Microsoft plan to stick with their "10 year" cycle, as opposed to the usual 5, it just leaves PC in the dust as it is constantly upgrading. It's not right for those who pay to keep their PCs maintained to play lesser games. Whether that is graphical constraints, landscape, gameplay, etc.

And I'm not sure holy was trolling or not. Shooters are usually associated with the 360 lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't think RPGs have defined the PS3, let alone this generation. It's like you're carrying the PS2 image. When I think PS3 I just think a lot of different IPs.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I think that's unfair for developers to be forced to bog down to console standards. I mean, if Sony and Microsoft plan to stick with their "10 year" cycle, as opposed to the usual 5, it just leaves PC in the dust as it is constantly upgrading. It's not right for those who pay to keep their PCs maintained to play lesser games. Whether that is graphical constraints, landscape, gameplay, etc.

And I'm not sure holy was trolling or not. Shooters are usually associated with the 360 lol.
It's not right for 360 and PS3 owners to pay the same amount of money for a noticeably inferior version. One could argue that with mods and easier button configuration due to keyboard vs controller, PC versions of game are already naturally better as they naturally have a lot more options.

Again: if the PC version has way better graphics to reflect the current power of PCs, that's perfectly fine, and something the PC version should have. PC version of shooters should also have dedicated servers because hey: it's really easy to add to PCs more difficult to do for consoles. But gamemodes and the like? No, that should be the same throughout all platforms.

Top Bottom