• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think its 60% you get whistled fresh.. unless you had it happen to you at lower %? Cause then that's just terrible if its after 40% ._.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Ussi is making me get back into VNs with that thread.

Speaking of Olimar, how do we play against him? I'm having a really hard time in this MU.
To add a bit to San's + elaborate:

Remember that Olimar has the whistle too, so try not to ever use Fair to pressure him when he's returning to the stage. He can whistle through it then land next to you and punish. Nair is a bit safer, but still be wary and space well. You obviously want him off-stage, as soon as possible, and then you want him to stay there.

If Olimar is in the center of the stage, be very careful about how you approach, and pay attention to how he reacts to your approaches. Try dashing up and spot-dodging through him for example, usually that will get you one free Jab combo but then he'll catch on and start pivot-grabbing instead of standing grab. If you think you can bait the pivot grab, run straight at him and just keep running, spot-dodge as soon as he retreats to avoid the pivot-grab and then Jab him.

Bthrow -> DA is huge in this MU, which is why San pointed out that pivot grab is huge... on top of the fact that pivot grab is great for getting Olimar when he's falling back to the stage. Bthrow -> DA Olimar off-stage and then read his whistle timing to try and steal his double jump with a Fair. Make sure you stay close to edge to pressure him into jumping higher than he wants to. Once he's off-stage without a double-jump, just time the edge hog. If his upB carries him onto the stage, drop down and get a free 20% from Aether.

On stage this MU is heavily in Olimar's favor, for a lot of reasons, but when he's in the air it's a fair bit in our favor, and when he's off-stage it's quite a lot in our favor. Thus if you're good at getting in those initial Jabs to rack some damage, then land a pivot grab, Bthrow -> DA off-stage... you've now got him in a disadvantaged position where he has to go through you to fight his way back to the center of the stage.

If you allow him to control the stage the situation can get out of hand real fast. He's gonna chuck Pikmin, make reads, get grabs and Usmash the hell out of you. In those situations where your damage starts to rack up quick, the worst thing you can do is panic and start rushing in. He'll read you every time. Pay attention to how he is getting the grabs, what you're doing to let yourself get hit. Usually the best way to approach Olimar is to run up, spot dodge and Jab. Sometimes you can SHAD and then Jab but that's a bit riskier.

Aerials on Olimar... the only aerial approach that's even somewhat safe is Nair. Fair can be easily shield grabbed. I wouldn't approach him with aerials unless you're fully confident he's going to spot dodge or do something punishable.

Defensively, never throw out rolls or spot dodges on reaction in this MU, but don't get into the habit of holding on your shield too long either. Every action you do has to be thought out in advance. It's a hard match-up for Ike, so to win it you've got to be at the top of your game mentally.

Stages, take him to a place like Frigate or Japes if it's legal. On Frigate, keep him off the right side of the screen in the first transition with Bthrow -> DA and then read his whistles. It's an easy stock if you get him off over there with no double jump. Japes, just control the center of the stage as best you can and after he falls in the water and all his Pikmin drown, rush him and don't let him pick up any more. Hope the Klap Trap is on your side. RC is also a good CP here, you can do wall shenanigans and his recovery is awful for some sections. For the more conservative players, BF and Delfino are also solid.

You know you wanted to read a good ol' Nys wall of text.

:248:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Just a warning, delfino gives Olimar a ton of purples, and frigate does too.

Clannad ep 1-9 is Fuuko's friend route, wonder how they are going to build on the next episodes.. well off to sleep i go.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just a warning, delfino gives Olimar a ton of purples, and frigate does too.
I think the advantages the stages provide for the MU outweigh that. On Frigate anyways, maybe not Delfino, which is why I listed it low in my order of CPs. I take Olimars around here to Japes or RC mainly, cause they ban Frigate against me now.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I see. I knew the way I was approaching was wrong. I tried to do a lot of pressuring. Been playing too much Soku, but then I remember that I'm playing Brawl and it's like: "Oh yeah, I'm playing Brawl." So dash and spot dodge or SHAD to jab are our best options for approaching and we have the advantage in the air.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think the advantages the stages provide for the MU outweigh that. On Frigate anyways, maybe not Delfino, which is why I listed it low in my order of CPs. I take Olimars around here to Japes or RC mainly, cause they ban Frigate against me now.

Delfino has legitimately become a CP stage for Olimar. It's extremely hard to get a good Olimar player to mess up and into spikeable situations in the water.

There's no point in running and spot dodging to see what he'll do. A pivot grab from Olimar will take that approach away along with short hop air dodge. Long as the pikmin is going towards you, he will grab you. I found the best approach to be is making them bait a pivot grab and then f-airing at the precise moment.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well, the only truly practical solution we have against his pivot grab is to drive him towards the edge of the stage by spacing perfectly just out of his reach, Nairing or Jabbing his Pikmin tosses and being ready to dodge if he gets impatient and goes for a dash grab or something. Otherwise, once he's at the ledge his options become limited and so we can pressure him into jumping, rolling or bait a standing grab and spot dodge it.

Takes stupid amounts of patience to do that over and over again, possibly taking quite a bit of damage from thrown Pikmin the whole time only to result in a single Jab combo on a punish at the end. You could end up getting a Jab to grab though, which could lead to some sharking or him going off-stage.

Using a Fair to punish pivot grab could work I guess... doesn't seem like it would be the safest option though; if you mistime it and they powershield you could end up eating a lot of damage or lose your stock if you're at highish percent and they have a fresh Usmash.

What exactly makes Delfino so good for Olimar, aside from getting purple Pikmin more than usual? All I can think is maybe the walk-offs on some transitions working to their favor...

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
What exactly makes Delfino so good for Olimar, aside from getting purple Pikmin more than usual? All I can think is maybe the walk-offs on some transitions working to their favor...

Walk-offs, Large phases for camping, Purples on the main platform, uneven terrain on most transitions (very good for him), semi-permeable main platform (his tether can latch from further under the stage, making it easier to safely poke with Uair), many transitions make it difficult/impossible to gimp him...
There are lots of things that make it a good stage for him.
I believe that the worst transition for him is the one with the three islands and that one has a really low ceiling for him to abuse.

Random fact, did you know that he has a 70% blue pluck rate in shallow water? Considering only the legal stages, I believe it only appears in two of Delfino's phases, the water phase of PS1, and the grass phase of PS1 (the tiny river near the middle).
Blues are pretty good at everything, so it's kind of nice.

EDIT: Also, I looooooove fighting Ike on RC. It's so easy to camp him if you just keep an eye out for certain attacks in certain areas (like Fair, if you're camping the right side of the boat for some odd reason).

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Walk-offs, Large phases for camping, Purples on the main platform, uneven terrain on most transitions (very good for him), semi-permeable main platform (his tether can latch from further under the stage, making it easier to safely poke with Uair), many transitions make it difficult/impossible to gimp him...
There are lots of things that make it a good stage for him.
I believe that the worst transition for him is the one with the three islands and that one has a really low ceiling for him to abuse.

Random fact, did you know that he has a 70% blue pluck rate in shallow water? Considering only the legal stages, I believe it only appears in two of Delfino's phases, the water phase of PS1, and the grass phase of PS1 (the tiny river near the middle).
Blues are pretty good at everything, so it's kind of nice.

EDIT: Also, I looooooove fighting Ike on RC. It's so easy to camp him if you just keep an eye out for certain attacks in certain areas (like Fair, if you're camping the right side of the boat for some odd reason).
Fair should be the least of anyone's concerns when it comes to Ike and RC:awesome:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I love fighting as Ike on RC, lol. It's like my number 1 CP'd stage now that MK is banned up here. I just feel completely comfortable on the parts where Ike is supposed to be in danger, and there are so many little tricks and locks he has.

After this match, Billybeegood now bans RC against me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I love fighting as Ike on RC, lol. It's like my number 1 CP'd stage now that MK is banned up here. I just feel completely comfortable on the parts where Ike is supposed to be in danger, and there are so many little tricks and locks he has.

-watches video. Sees DDD roll into f-smash like it's 2008. Stops watching video.-

Anyways, back to Oli. It's a big reason why I considered that to be a -3 match up. Super armoring if we get him airborn via whistle, and of course, "forcing" him towards the ledge so he can't pivot grab takes a heck a lot more effort than him trying to escape that situation.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I stopped watching after the bthrow > dash attack at the blast zone cause i knew what was coming afterwards.

Whistle is such a pain to deal with though, its much harder for Ike to read Olimar since whistling is only half as vulnerable as ADing (5 frames of cooldown after SAF) which also lets Olimar punish more easily.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Fair should be the least of anyone's concerns when it comes to Ike and RC :awesome:
You'd be surprised. It seems to be one of the few ways for you guys to get in (especially when you can't dash attack because of the terrain) and it's scary to get hit with it so close to the blastzone on the boat and rising parts. It'll be pretty damned difficult for you to get on even ground to Fair him if you don't get him above you on the rising part, BTW. It's easy for us to safely poke from below with Uair (for reference) and UpB.

About locks, AFAIK I've only been wall locked by an Ike once in my life, and that was on PS1.
It was rather shocking, but I'm not too worried about them if it happens that rarely.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
About locks, AFAIK I've only been wall locked by an Ike once in my life, and that was on PS1.
It was rather shocking, but I'm not too worried about them if it happens that rarely.
Well, as long as Ike is standing near a wall, he can initiate the wall lock really easy. Bthrow or Fthrow will start it, and then it's just Fthrow repeatedly against the wall with a guaranteed Utilt at the end. The only explanations I can think of for you experiencing it only once are:

- You don't play many Ikes.
- You don't play on stages with walls when you do.
- You know about the wall lock and thus never go near a wall with Ike around.
- The Ikes you play don't know what they're doing.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I play against two Ikes, Alpacaman (you don't know him) and bored.
I'm very aware of the wall lock (I play Ike a lot, too), but I didn't think it worked on Olimar at the time. ^^;

Also, you forgot the fifth possibility:
- You don't approach.

EDIT:
I had no idea Olimar could use the Spirit Bomb. That explains why so many of his attacks are either dumb or complete BS.
Yellow Fsmash looks like he's throwing the SUN.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Also, you forgot the fifth possibility:
- You don't approach.
He said you don't go near Ike near a wall which is the same thing.. though not approaching doesn't limit to when there is a wall there or not.

Also, there are place where you can't initiate the lock with a Fthrow.
But you can pivot bthrow there

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
He said you don't go near Ike near a wall which is the same thing.. though not approaching doesn't limit to when there is a wall there or not.
The way he phrased it implied that I would have to know about the wall lock to avoid him.

"- You know about the wall lock and thus never go near a wall with Ike around."

I'm being too picky, though.

Heartstring

Smash Legend

...That was disgraceful and the dedede should just drop his pad...now

I play against two Ikes, Alpacaman (you don't know him) and bored.
Well that solves the problem. The Ike's near you don't know what they're doing :troll:

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Need to try this out again, but does the Bthrow CG work on Olimar on the RC boat? I remember that Yoshi and G&W don't work; we should probably get a list of who/where that works.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Olimar should never be approaching in this MU anyways...which goes back to my point of how much more of an effort Ike mains have to put into racking up damage on Olimar.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Main arguments to address:

- Olimar's really light, floaty, has bad rolls, and is very gimpable. Once you do get in, you can do some serious damage to an Olimar.

- Olimar can't whistle grabs.

THROW COUNTERS AT THEM, BORED!!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I need some new anime to watch...anyone got any suggestions? :)
Gotta say what genre of anime you looking for.

Speaking of anime, in Clannad looks like after the Fuuko friend route, it goes into Kotomi's route. Not surprising since that route doesn't use founder's day. Since after story exists its kinda obvious though it'll all tie into the Nagisa route in the end..

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Well let's see...past anime i've enjoyed...
Death note/Code geass
Soul eater/naruto/bleach
Fruits basket
Tenchi Muyo
Samurai champloo
Inuyasha/FMA
Just a quick what popped in head list.
Always open to trying different genres of shows though.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've watched and read hundreds of anime and manga. Over the past few years, I barely watched anime, but I watched most of the ones I consider good already.

Anyways, remember the game I talked about before that I'm making with some people?
I think I finally can send it to people. Please tell me if it works or not:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8kxx8mrx84ugb2q

There's still some work to be done.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You able to watch mecha? You could try Full Metal Panic which is a mecha and high school romantic comedy. Its got 3 seasons too.

Clannad's kotomi route is done in the anime.. looks like they had to convert it into a friendship route though, which wasn't hard to implement. But playing the VN makes it that much easier to understand the anime. With 9 episodes left, wonder if we're gonna see Ryou/Kyou's route and Tomoyo's o_o;.. Ryou/Kyou's sounds REEEEEEEEEEEALLY awkward to do..

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That's what his little backpack's for.
And just like Okuu, he just wants to see the world burn.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ok, season 2 is a romantic comedy, season 1 and 3 are more mecha based with comedy at high school.

If Olimar wants to burn the world, he'd have only fire pikmin.

Top Bottom