• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Jab 2 only works on those who have no quick aerials/specials to get out of it...

Basically no one :x especially of they SDI

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I'm havin glots of trouble with the Jab cancel fellas, Is it just a timing issue or should I really try to use the control stick diagonal to the back a try?
It's timing. I promise the only easy way to do it is to press A and then tap down, then press A again.
so the most affective jab cancel is just 1 jab not 2?
The most effective is what's working. Really, the most effective is mixing it up between 1, 1-2, 1, 1, 1-2, etc, so it's harder for your opponent to get out.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's easier than you think. Try jab canceling on computers for like 5-10 minutes and you'll get it down. Try to keep a steady rhythm.

Jab1 has more hitstun so you can easily combo into something else, but it doesn't have enough reach to keep them in there for long without holding A for the combat walk, or doing the kick (jab2). Unless you got the jab in when you were really close to them.

Jab2 has lots of range, but pretty strict combo potential depending on their DI. If you see them pop up, you can immediately go back to jab1, or it might get shielded.

You're pretty much at the defensive advantage the entire time, so if you think they'll attack, you can just shield. It's easy to manipulate their options.

Napos

Smash Ace
Ok I'll practice on computers. I guess what I am saying is I see videos on youtube of the jab cancel with the 2 jabs and its fast and hell. I try it and its a slower motion. However actually landing that in tournament matches is unlikely? So the best thing is to switch it up? Got it.

Also can you auto cancel Ike's bair?

Lastly thanks guys!, seriously.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Jab 2 only works on those who have no quick aerials/specials to get out of it...

Basically no one :x especially of they SDI
Jab2 can lead to jab1 if you buffer it. Only nairs and fairs really have a chance to hit you. Even if the spacing isn't entirely right, jab1 would trade or win against most moves. Using aerials is risky since you can just walk up and shield.

I'm not sure what you mean by autocancel, but you can short hop bair, and full hop bair and get a double jump.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Now I can't wall CG unsuspecting victims on RC =( Got me so many free wins.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I two stocked an MK on RC. It's Ike's best stage. Should be a neutral. We have so many tricks on that stage.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
People have double standards on stages, making it much more difficult to reason with people. Even me at times. People are also very quick to ban stages and very slow to legalize old stages.

They can accept infinites and complaining about a character is for scrubs, but then they're the first people screaming to ban stages left and right when it doesn't help them, and ignore people who want other stages legal.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
All Apex is doing is catering to the scrubs who somehow think MK isn't OP'd...yet can't explain why Brinstar and RC should be banned without mentioning MK unless they go "Uh...uh...THE STAGE HAS MOVEMENT, IGNORE THE FACT I'M FINE WITH HALBERD AND DELFINO"

Just disgusting.

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
All Apex is doing is catering to the scrubs who somehow think MK isn't OP'd...yet can't explain why Brinstar and RC should be banned without mentioning MK unless they go "Uh...uh...THE STAGE HAS MOVEMENT, IGNORE THE FACT I'M FINE WITH HALBERD AND DELFINO"

Just disgusting.
You forgot to mention Castle Seige, which not only changes shape drastically, but has a walk off kill on the second part, the ability to go as low as you want and surprise attack someone any time the stage changes, (Mister Doom f smash against Ally in Lulzy set perfect example). People are fine with that being a neutral!

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Oh really, now? Hmm... Even more stages are getting banned? Well, I think it's time that I move on to a different game. Notice how I haven't been uploading any smash videos recently? *smh, sighing*

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
Hey Mister Doom, Castle Seige went from being a counterpick that was borderline legal to one of the neutrals and PS2 went from banned to counterpick. Maybe this additional banned stages think is just a phase and we'll get more stage selection goodness in the future. At least we're better than Japan:)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think its only Apex with these stage bans...

Sigh... MK ban had a lot of momentum behind it till AZ put an unofficial poll up on AiB, wonder why it slowed down o.O..

Napos

Smash Ace
Sorry I didn't clairfy about jab 2. lol I use 1-1, 1-2, etc. like Brett talked about as well.

Ok so one wants to 1-1 then 1-2? Is that when your opponent will catch on and SDI outta it? More or less anyways...

Also I'm guessing big characters can get jab locked across the stage? While smaller have an easier time getting away?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Size of character does make it harder to SDI out but bowser can always fortress out of jab 2 cancel (but severe punish if its read) so yeh...

DK can attempt to uair if your slow on jab 2 > jab 1

@Sen
Also i hate how that reason is true

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
DK is one of the worst at getting out of jab cancels lol.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
He has up B too :x

In theory though DK can't out if you are frame perfect.. Jab 2 has a 1 frame advantage.. So DK has nothing to come out in 2 frames :x his Up B is invincible at frame 4 xD

Just people can SDI up so jab 2 misses :x

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Jab 2 missing is good.

They can't do much as long as you're buffering after jab 2 correctly. If you're not, that's when they can get out.

Even with perfect DI, it's not hard to get them into a combat walk
1-1 -hold A
and
1-2-hold A
can both work on various characters if you get the jab when you're close enough.

To combat SDI, you delay after the jab1 so they fall a little, then proceed to get the combat walk.
Delaying jab1/other option after jab2 is only a mixup since there's nothing much guaranteed, but their options are limited to falling (can take advantage of landing lag), jumping away (take advantage of used double jump), and get away aerials/moves (you can shield+punish).

Delaying jab2 after jab1 can take away double jumps and lead to more damaging punishes, also.

I just tested, and you can't shield a jab2->jab1 if the Ike buffers correctly.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Jab 2 missing is good.

They can't do much as long as you're buffering after jab 2 correctly. If you're not, that's when they can get out.

Even with perfect DI, it's not hard to get them into a combat walk
1-1 -hold A
and
1-2-hold A
can both work on various characters if you get the jab when you're close enough.

To combat SDI, you delay after the jab1 so they fall a little, then proceed to get the combat walk.
Delaying jab1/other option after jab2 is only a mixup since there's nothing much guaranteed, but their options are limited to falling (can take advantage of landing lag), jumping away (take advantage of used double jump), and get away aerials/moves (you can shield+punish).

Delaying jab2 after jab1 can take away double jumps and lead to more damaging punishes, also.

I just tested, and you can't shield a jab2->jab1 if the Ike buffers correctly.
This can update our jab cancel section in that rusted guide of ours nicely. Where is that old man

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
we agreed I'd write the OP for the sole reason that we both get to edit the OP, he has the video section however. That said, i edited what san said into Following your moves.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm not writing a Yaoi

Bored would personally come and murder me if I wrote anything like (since I would have to include him)

I'm gonna just make it a gag if I can think of a gag theme.

Plus don't i just have to post it on fanfiction.net per chapter? slowly procrastinating then stopping ultimately cause I got a "writer's block"

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I'm not writing a Yaoi

Bored would personally come and murder me if I wrote anything like (since I would have to include him)

I'm gonna just make it a gag if I can think of a gag theme.

Plus don't i just have to post it on fanfiction.net per chapter? slowly procrastinating then stopping ultimately cause I got a "writer's block"
It's okay, I'll order a large case of fangirls to protect you. Or a chainsaw to make bored's murder funnier. Whichever costs less.

And I'm pretty sure it's not writer's block if you say you're going to have it in advance.

Top Bottom