• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
Yes Ussi, Zude is known as the best Yoshi of europe en potencially one of the best in the world.
*sigh*, to bad i've only played him over wifi :(

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Ussi>yep, I'd even say the yoshi player but that'd reveal my fanboyism.

Some vids are already up :D i'll go post em in the critique thread.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Hm. When I think THE Yoshi player, I think Poltergust. Because of him, I'm not too confident in the Yoshi match-up anymore.
I mean, he's like none other that -I've- played, at least.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Poltergust is without a doubt the best Yoshi player in the U.S. I don't know who this European one is, but it's always good to watch videos of other good players.

And why would someone be a fanboy to a Yoshi main? It's freakin Yoshi.

Wow Jam, I swear, everyday the Ike boards become less manly. Forget about us even being in contention. I give up. Ganon, Snake, and Falcon mains, have at it.

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace
Poltergust is without a doubt the best Yoshi player in the U.S. I don't know who this European one is, but it's always good to watch videos of other good players.

Wow Jam, I swear, everyday the Ike boards become less manly. Forget about us even being in contention. I give up. Ganon, Snake, and Falcon mains, have at it.
Zudenka playing yami

zudenka is really good. the only yoshi player i've played is scatz

Heartstring

Smash Legend

yeah, all the loli's everywhere are lowering the testosterone
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/ph...an-dr-ivo-robotnik-eggman-7148655-386-613.jpg

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I think I'll watch some vids vids of poltergust, yoshi's fun to watch *.*

Bored> ?? XD what's with Red-X 's Ike that makes him the zudenka of ike?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can play fast if I try to play fast, too =)

I don't like it when other people play similar to me (against me). Some of the tactics I usually use are very annoying.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I can play fast if I try to play fast, too =)

I don't like it when other people play similar to me (against me). Some of the tactics I usually use are very annoying.
like what?
no seriously, its hard to spot mindgames adn stuff as a 3rd person except from hard read which normally involve fsmash

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I know when you be losing that double jump, among other things XD. I play similar to Kimchi and RedX mostly. Probably a NY/NJ thing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not good to play fast if you're gonna mess up and make plenty of mistakes. In my opinion, start out slow, learn to read your opponents, and then pick up the pace all the while maintaining the ability to read. With practice, it should get easier. I never enjoy players who play fast. They think they are hard to read, but really, they mess themselves up when they leave themselves open so many times in the match.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Eh, I know it's out of my league, for now I just concentrate on what works and what I can get away with. But my theoritical goal is to do this + make people think "this ike is fast"

and I know fast =/= good, dunno what's with that lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think playing fast is the most effective playstyle in winning. However, that ia ultimately a player vs player aspect. You have to play fast while not being readable, as in, outpace the opponent. Force a mistake from making him think too fast as if its at his pace, he can think more clearly.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ I'm probably one of the slowest Ike mains around, and I'm better off compared to a lot of people. Defense wins championships. Notice how in the finals and what not, people camp and slow down a lot.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Game 4 in winner's finals at SiiS4, was pretty fast. M2Q just outpaced Al1y (avoiding namesearch) the entire game.

Granted the games before there were indeed slow... M2Q was just learning habits before exploiting them such that in game 4.

But.. playing slow isn't a bad thing either.. if the game is going at your pace, then you are at the advantage. Fast or slow, its a player thing at who can keep it going at their pace better.

actually now i sound contradictory, scratch what i said about fast being more effective.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I play fast Ike when I have momentum, because I can pull it off. I play slow Ike when I don't have momentum, because that's sort of silly sometimes.
Bada bing.

About what Bored said concerning building up to a faster Ike. It's true.

Also, San's "annoying" tactic? FF AD --> jab. Jab instead of defending.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Much better.

I do think it's stupid for people to play fast to no avail. Some characters are designed to play slow or fast. For example, most Diddy players play a fast flashy game, while Olimars are campy and defensive. I think with Ike, we have a lot to think about it depending on the opponent we face. I'd rather be defensive and reading a DDD then rushing in and risking getting CG'ed. Same time, say against Falco...you really gonna sit back and let him laser you?

Brett brought up a good point on momentum. Personally, I like to come out strong, and if I'm sending my opponent everywhere, I keep going. If I get the death, I play defensive, because I KNOW my opponent wants to kill me, so he'll be a bit more reckless. This is the perfect opportunity to rack up what I call, "extra damage". Hit him for 40-60% before you die, and you're in good shape.

Overall though, if you're gonna play a fast speedy game, make sure you know the ins and outs of Ike, which come through experience and practice. I still can't play fast on a consistent basis, because I'm left open to too many attacks, and I feel like I wear myself out, leaving me unable to read. I feel like my process is more relying on instincts and trying to break through the opponent, rather then adjusting and doing what actually needs to be done.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah same, the brawl metagame plays relatively similar to that of the american football metagame, by that i mean that momentum is a big thing, it would be the best reasoning behind how commonly reverse 3-stocks happen (comparatively, they really shouldnt happen at all) if you get in and start doing damage, the opponent is instantly on the defensive and wanting to get back into theire personal safe zone again. which is probably why FFAD to jab is so annoying, as very few people would expect it
i should apply some of the stuff i say to my actual gameplay, i really should XD

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
i should apply some of the stuff i say to my actual gameplay, i really should XD
I do too GP.

I don't really think much about how I play. I think it's mostly try to get the first hit in and keep the momentum, otherwise stay defensive (which doesn't really help me at all since I tend to be a spotdodge fanatic). I actually have no idea, but maybe you guys have a better idea of describing how I play based on the biweeklies.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I do too GP.

I don't really think much about how I play. I think it's mostly try to get the first hit in and keep the momentum, otherwise stay defensive (which doesn't really help me at all since I tend to be a spotdodge fanatic). I actually have no idea, but maybe you guys have a better idea of describing how I play based on the biweeklies.
i think thats general ike things, but i problem i have when i play at tournaments is that ill get the first hit in, knock them away, and then go back into a shell, and if im fighting someone like falcon, by the time i reach them again theyve already done more damage in lasers/phantasm than i did with my last hit. so its a vicious circle really

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I do too GP.

The first step to cut that habit of spot dodging is to constantly play a match while not relying on instincts. You will constantly be telling yourself, don't spot dodge, don't spot dodge. The more you apply it, the more natural it will become.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
The first step to cut that habit of spot dodging is to constantly play a match while not relying on instincts. You will constantly be telling yourself, don't spot dodge, don't spot dodge. The more you apply it, the more natural it will become.
Me and Ussi were playing once with no shield buttons. You think that could help a bit?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I suppose, but it's not necessarily telling yourself actively not to spot dodge. As soon as that button goes active, you know it, he knows it, so you may just revert back.

Top Bottom