• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to remove 20 characters from Ultimate, who would they be?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
All of you taking out Jigglypuff are going to hell
Agreed, and I’d like to add that all of you taking out Lucario clearly have no idea how unfun it is to be crushed and have no way of turning the situation around.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
I would remove The Announcer 20 times over. I just hate his voice.

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
Not sure if I can manage 20 fighters but I'll try.

Fighters I would really want gone in particular:

:ultrosalina: Destroy this thing. I'd list her 20 times by herself if I could.
:ultchrom: I would have rather gotten a mage or something if they were going to add another character from Awakening, but that's just me.

Also based on personal bias but nowhere near as bad as the other two:
:ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultolimar::ultmegaman::4miigun::4miisword::ultken::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultlittlemac::ultrob::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i see to many people saying :ulttoonlink:.... that kinda shocks me cause he is not only 1 of my main characters but probably my fave version of Link..and i don't get why so many dislike him..am i really 1 of those rare few who like him? >.<

ok time for my list i will also give my reasons why i want them gone,

:ultduckhunt:never liked this character, and he really won't be missed by me at all
:ultsheik:
if she does not get some buffs then she can be removed as well for all i care, right now shes just such a bad character in my opinion
:ultrob:
another character i just don't like and i rather see removed then being in the game
:ultkirby:
i regret nothing! i was never really a Kirby fan and he gets to much of that special treatment....fight me!
:ultpiranha:
still have a bit of salty aftertaste after the Direct in November...
:ultpichu:
i like Pichu don't get me wrong..but he still gives himself damage which i find just a stupid thing they gave him.
:ulticeclimbers:
meh..just don't know what to think of them..
:ultolimar:
another character i dislike..oh god why am i so picky? xD
:ultincineroar:
Incineroar is just..meh to me and his recovery is just really bad..i have seen many die multiple times with him,besides i was hoping that 1 of the other 2 starters were getting in instead...
:ultlink:
if 1 Link has to go..then this Link can go..not sorry i just prefer :ulttoonlink: & :ultyounglink: over the original 1, besides they all might be similar but aren't the same
:ultgnw:
he has good moves not gonna lie but i just find him..to simple looking for Smash Ultimate
:ultchrom:with this many fire emblem characters..it wouldn't hurt to remove 1 or 2..and then i would pick Chrom cause from all of them hes the least fun to play for me
:ultjigglypuff:
yup i will be going to hell! :p but i just think Puff got nerfed each Smash game that shes not as fun to play with anymore
:ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters:
they count for 3 but all 3 can go to the trash can! lol
:ultlittlemac:
i do not dislike him, but just some of his moves and how easy it is to defeat him on most stages i rather just see him go instead cause poor Mac became such a punching bag....
:ultlucina:
i like her as well, but shes to much like Marth and Marth has been there since the beginning..so i'm sorry Lucina but then you gotta be the 1 being dropped!
:ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm:what can i say? they are not very bad characters when it comes to moveset..but i feel like they don't really belong here....
:ultdarksamus:
i don't see the point of this Samus clone tbh..but 1 Samus is enough

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
1. :ultpichu:
2. :ultdoc: (alt costume )
3. :ulticeclimbers:
4. :ultjigglypuff:
5.:ultlucas:
6. :ultlucina: (alt cusom)
7. :ultdarkpit:
8. :ultcorrin:
9. :ultroy:
10. :ultchrom:
11. :ultsheik:
12. :ultyounglink:
13. :ulttoonlink:
14.:ultken:
15.:ultdarksamus:
16. :ultrob:
17. :ultpalutena:
18. :ultwiifittrainer:
19. :ultjigglypuff:
20. :ultlittlemac:

Pski

Smash Cadet
:ultbayonetta::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultryu::ultken::ultmegaman::ultpiranha::ultcloud::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultjigglypuff::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ultchrom::ultike::ultdarksamus::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultwiifittrainer:
I would delete all these characters and leave a pretty clean roster of past and present nintendo all-stars imo (and make a few additions of my own)
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultbowserjr::ultwario:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(+bandana dee)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpikachu::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainerf::ultmewtwo::ultincineroar:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultrobinf::ultcorrinf:
:ultfalcon:(+black shadow)
:ultness:(+porky)
:ultpit::ultpalutena:
:ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'm going to pull a Thanos. Cutting 38 fighters in the game (counting Pokemon Trainer and Mii fighters as three, excluding DLC as the four unrevealed one could go any way). To quote the mad Titan

Thanos said:
"Little one, it’s a simple calculus. This universe is finite, its resources, finite… if life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist. It needs correcting."
Now starting, I need to put the quick cuts and the obvious locks out there.
Cuts #1-7: :ultchrom::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultken::ultlucina::ultrichter:
Reason: Echo Fighters.
Cuts #8-10::ultpokemontrainer: (:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:)
Reason: Pokemon Trainer is three characters in one, and while you could hypothetically keep one, they are balanced as a whole.
Locks #1-8: :ultmario::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Reasoning: Original 8.
Locks #9-10::ultinkling::ultisabelle:
Reasoning: Splatoon is currently one of Nintendo's biggest franchises out there, and Isabelle is the mascot of another.

For now, I will be trading off. So, a cut and then a save.
Cut #11: :ultdoc:
Reason: Clone, and the least hurtful to make an alt.
Lock #11: :ultbowser:
Reason: Most iconic video game villain.
Cuts #12-13: :ultzss::ultsheik:
Reason: Originally being part of more iconic characters, these two wouldn't be separate characters if they weren't transformations from previous games.
Locks #12-13: :ultpeach::ultzelda:
Reason: The most iconic females in gaming.
Cut #14-15::ultfalco::ultyounglink:
Reason: Since we have two more Links to sort, as well as two Star Fox character that are semiclones Fox, I decided to cut one and see if the other will last later. Falco doesn't hold more importance than the other two members of Star Fox, and Young Link simply lost the coin flip.
Locks #14-15: :ultmarth::ultrobin:
Reason: Fire Emblem is still a large Nintendo franchise, and Marth is still seen as the face of the franchise. I also wanted to have a character from the most popular game in the series Awakening, and I already removed Chrom and Lucina on the basis of them being echoes.
Cut #16: :ultcloud:
Reason: Cloud doesn't have a connection to Nintendo or even seniority that other 3rd Party characters have.
Lock #16::ultshulk:
Reason: While Shulk might not show up in every new Xenoblade game, I think the series might become a stable Nintendo franchise.
Cut #17::ultsnake:
Reason: See Cloud. Snake had senority because he was the first 3rd party character in Smash.
Lock #17::ultluigi:
Reason: Gaming Iconic. Recognized by non-gamers.
Cut #18: :ultryu:
Reason: While Ryu has had more apperances on Nintendo than the last two cuts, he isn't as close to them like Megaman or Castlevania in the past, Sonic and Bayonetta do now and Ryu doesn't hold a candle to the icon status of Pac-Man.
Lock #18: :ultolimar:
Reason: Like Shulk, I can't tell if Olimar will remain a staple of the Pikmin franchise, but I don't see it going anywhere.
Cuts #19-20::ultmiifighters:(:4miibrawl::4miisword:)
Reason: If half the roster is going, then at least two of the mii movesets would be removed. I'm not sparing the Mii Gunner yet, but they seem to be more popular than the other two.
Locks #19-20::ultwario::ultdiddy:
Reason: Not as iconic as other Marioverse characters, but still up there.

Halfway done (not really cause I did mostly the easy cuts/saves), so I think I'm going to rapid cut some beloved characters, followed by a rapid sparring.
Cut #21::ultroy: Reason: The only character who debuted in Smash Bros before their home franchise.
Cut #22::ultvillager: Reason: Isabelle is the mascot now, and the one in Smash doesn't look like the one in the recent Animal Crossing games.
Cut #23::ulticeclimbers: Reason: Cool as a retro pick but with half the roster being removed, if you had only one game and didn't have some sort of historical impact like other retros, I remove you before the other solo franchises.
Cut #24::ultlucas:Reason: As much as I love and respect Lucas for everything he has been through, he is the only character to never be released outside of Japan. Besides, Mother should remain a dead franchise, as per the creator's wishes.
Cut #25::ultjigglypuff: Reason: The queen of relevancy through Smash, Jigglypuff remained after the anime dropped her from following Ash and his friends.
Cut #26::ultrob: Reason: If removing all the playable characters of a franchise means we lose everything from it, objectively ROB should be the first series to be cut. At least Cloud has a stage and more than one track. ROB stayed this long due to his impact on selling the NES.
Cut #27::ultpichu:Reason: While a clone, Pichu is probably the most iconic out of all of them. But still is a clone.
Cut #28::ulttoonlink: Reason: While he lasted longer than Young Link, he still didn't make it.
Cut #29::ultganondorf:Reason: Spare him from being a clone.
Cut #30::ultcorrin:Reason: Much like Roy, he was picked to advertise an upcoming game.
Cut #31::4miigun:Reason: Lasted longer than the other two, but I need that roster spot saved for actual characters.
Cut #32::ultbowserjr:Reason: Does anybody else think Bowser Jr was added just so we could get all the Koopalings in as well? Either way, I don't want to flood the roster with Mario characters.
Cut #33::ultrosalina:Reason: Same as Bowser Jr.
Lock #21::ultkingdedede:Reason: A crossover fighter needs villains and antagonists. Besides, Kirby need at least two characters.
Lock #22::ultridley:Reason: See above except replace Kirby for Metroid.
Lock #23::ultwolf:Reason: See above except Star Fox as a series doesn't need a second character as much as the above two.
Lock #24::ultmewtwo:Reason: See above except Mewtwo isn't too much of a villain. Besides, he is more iconic than the other Pokemon is Smash besides Pikachu.
Lock #25::ultwiifittrainer:Reason: The Wii series sold like crazy, Wii Fit in particular not as much as Wii Sports did, but we don't have Wii sports moveset for the Miis. If you combine Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, you get the fourth best selling Nintendo game of all time. Plus, "Wii Fit lady" was one of the only characters my mom knew the name of (others were the main mario characters, pikachu, pokemon trainer and pacman...)
Lock #26::ultpit:Reason: Considering that Kid Icarus Uprising was one of the best sellers on the 3DS, it wouldn't make much
Lock #27::ultmetaknight: Reason: Almost as important to the Kirby franchise as King Dedede. Almost...
Lock #28::ultness: Reason: Mother has a lot of content in Smash, so removing both Ness and Lucas would really hurt.
Lock #29::ultlittlemac:Reason: If we took out Little Mac, we would lose the boxing ring, which is the only stage to not be used in a trailer for a different franchise if I am correct.
Lock #30::ultsonic:Reason: If any 3rd party character stays, it needs to be Sonic. He was demanded so much that Brawl needed to be delayed.
Lock #31::ultpacman:Reason: Pac-Man is one of the most iconic gaming characters ever, and rivals Mario and Pikachu on icon status.
Lock #32::ultfalcon:Reason: Do you really think I would cut Captain Falcon? For real?
Lock #33::ultgnw: Reason: Game and Watch has a bigger legacy than ROB or Ice Climber does. Plus, I don't want to only focus on the modern.

At this point, any of the remaining guys could go either way. I have reasons for each of them being spared or cut. I'm list both of them and then my verdict. I also need to keep one Pokemon that I haven't given a verdict for.
:ultbayonetta:Pro: Basically a Nintendo character at this point. Con: Owned by SEGA and I don't want to play favoritism, and she isn't as star powered as any non-echo 3rd party character. CUT
:ultduckhunt:Pro: Duck Hunt is a game that is known beyond gaming, the dog and it's laugh are iconic. Con: Only one game like Ice Climbers. LOCK
:ultgreninja:Pro: Popular Pokemon, is always going to be popular as a starter. Con: Many Pokemon. LOCK
:ultike:Pro: Only character besides Marth to get two games. Con: Fire Emblem has a rotating franchise and many characters are just as popular. CUT
:ultincineroar:Pro: Pokemon needs more characters. Con: Too new to tell if has lasting star power, least popular final evolution in its generation, less popular than Lucario or Greninja CUT
:ultkrool:Pro: Most popular newcomer requested for Ultimate. Con: Nintendo needed a ballot to remind them that he exists. cut (closest to being spared. If Joker and Plant were included, he would make the roster. Maybe I'll do this again after the rest of the DLC is announced)
:ultlucario:Pro: Popular Pokemon for one that isn't a legendary, 1st gen or starter. Con: Many Pokemon, and we don't know how long it's popularity will last. CUT
:ultmegaman:Pro: known for NES days as an all star and must have on the console. Also was most wanted newcomers after Brawl came out. Con: 3rd party. LOCK
:ultpalutena:Pro: Franchise is named after her in Japan. Con: Probably won't get another Kid Icarus game any time soon. LOCK
:ultsimon:Pro: known for NES days as an all star and must have on the console. Con: 3rd party. LOCK

TLDR Version
Cuts::ultdarksamus::ultjigglypuff: :ultdaisy::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultsnake::ultike::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultrosalina::4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun::ultbowserjr::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultincineroar:
Spared: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultrobin::ultgnw::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultolimar::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultwiifittrainer::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon:

Might do a reverse version of this, where I need to find 38 characters to add to the remaining half. if I did that, I obviously couldn't include a bunch of highly requested characters because of the missing ones. Like I couldn't add in King Boo claiming he's a reoccurring Mario villain when the more reoccurring Bowser Jr was cut.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
1-9.)
:ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultincineroar::ultdoc::ultridley::ultkrool::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultmetaknight:
These don’t resonate with me.

10.)
:ultken:
I would like to hear the announcer say Chun-Li.

11.)
:ultdarkpit:
Duh.

12-14.)
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
I‘d rather not have the character I wanted over a chibi skin. Call me purist.

15.)
:ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf:
As much as I like them and their gimmick, I’d rather Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have their own slots.

The rest were tough.

16.)
:ultrob:
I like the idea of retro rep but R.O.B. is maybe my least favorite. I’d miss our Robotic Operating Buddy though.

17.)
:ultfalco:
I prefer hero and villain over double hero. Especially in a crossover fighting game. But I’d also miss Falco.

18.)
:ultmarth:
I prefer Lucina.

19.)
:ultroy:
I prefer Chrom.

20.)
:ultzss:
Maybe she could share a slot with Samus and have alternate skins where she isn’t wearing her helmet. I do appreciate the classic Metroid references though. I’d also like to see what a Dark Samus sans helmet would look like.

TBH I actually only play Peach and WFT. So as long as they don’t get cut, I’ll get to keep my shoelaces.

Last edited:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I preferred the original concept of this being a Nintendo game, so I start by removing the third party characters:
:ultjoker::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultrichter::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultpacman::ultryu::ultken::ultmegaman::ultsonic: (11)
Then a couple of echoes who don't really resonate with me:
:ultdoc::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultpichu: (15)
Then the Wiiware gets looked at. I'm going to keep one character named 'Mii' rather than continue with the fighters paradigm. The moveset will be drawn largely from Wii Sports, which means a slight adjustment to Villager's moveset to remove the bowling ball. Wii Fit Trainer also drops out here:
:4miigun::4miisword::ultwiifittrainer: (18)
Now I start to wish for more spots, because while I'm happy enough with the number of Pokemon, I don't care for the particular choices. In the end, with only two cuts left, I go for:
:ultlucario::ultjigglypuff: (20)

Lucky to survive:
:ultdarksamus::ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

*Note: I'm aware that Isabelle, Pichu, and Dr. Mario aren't officially Echo Fighters, even though they all clearly should be.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmm...

:ultzss::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultdaisy::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultsquirtle::ultcharizard:
:ultsheik::ultpichu::ultken::ultrichter::ultbayonetta::ultwiifittrainer::ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultjigglypuff::ultpiranha:

So this was hard and I hated doing it. Realistically I doubt we'd get this many cuts, but still.

Removed Zero Suit Samus, Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Sheik due to being elsewhere on the roster. Toon Link was spared because of his different and iconic artstyle.
Ken and Richter were tough cuts, but in the case of twenty cuts I wanted to limit third party series to one character each.
Gunner and Swordfighter were cut, but Brawler was kept. I didn't want Miis removed wholesale.
Likewise, Ivysaur was kept because dammit Bulbasaur was my starter. Red and Leaf still appear in the background.
Daisy was cut for being the only echo with no mechanical differences whatsoever.
Lucas is from a Japan-only game so he gets dropped.
I just kinda don't like Corrin as a character, so while I wouldn't cut him under normal circumstances, he's cut here.
F-Zero is hella dead so Falcon leaves. Hey, you wanted twenty cuts.
Didn't want to cut Bayonetta, but I dislike her playstyle, and I've never played her games, so I went with her.

Here's where things got hard, the last five.
Personally, I wouldn't want Wii Fit Trainer, Pichu, Mr. Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, or Piranha Plant to be cut. I love all five of them. But I just felt that of the ones remaining, they were the most expendable.

So that sucked.
*Note: I'm aware that Isabelle, Pichu, and Dr. Mario aren't officially Echo Fighters, even though they all clearly should be.
LOL no. Isabelle makes Ken look like Daisy. She isn't an echo in the slightest.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I currently know 15.

Duck Hunt
Zero Suit Samus
Chrom
Corrin
Lucas
Pokémon Trainer
Greninja
Palutena
Young Link
Villager
Mii
Richter
Cloud
Ken
Joker

I cut Greninja because it doesn't feel like a Smash character. It just feel like a play through Starter of Pokémon. Palutena doesn't belong in Smash (Anymore). She's great as a commentary. I probably changed my thoughts about Rosalina, I don't know.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
16) :ultyoshi: PAY YOUR TAXES!
As I said in another thread, this Yoshi tax meme needs to stop. (The meme is stupid and it is harming Yoshi's image).

These are the 20 characters I'd remove:

:ultwiifittrainer: :ultvillager: :ultlucas: :ultyounglink: :ulttoonlink: :ultken: :ultdarksamus: :ultchrom: :ultdaisy: :ultdarkpit:
:ultdoc: :ultike: :ultlucina: :ultbrawler: :ultswordfighter: :ultgunner: :ultpichu: :ultrichter: :ultsheik: :ultzss:

For most of these fighters, they could just be alternates of their main counterparts (similar to how the Koopalings are alternates of Bowser Jr.) So, for example, Zero Suit Samus could be an alternate of Samus, Toon Link and Young Link could be alternates of Link, Dr. Mario could be an alternate of Mario, Sheik could be an alternate of Zelda, and Dark Pit could be an alternate of Pit. There are a lot of "clones / echo fighters" which could be consolidated (that is, if the roster removed 20 fighters).

Since Ultimate's release, I've wondered why Dr. Mario is not considered an echo fighter.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
As I said in another thread, this Yoshi tax meme needs to stop. (The meme is stupid and it is harming Yoshi's image).
Now don't get me wrong. I'm totally with you on the meme being stupid and damaging to Yoshi. But you don't have to bring it up every time it's mentioned. I usually save it for really egregious examples and not what amounts to a ****post...

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Now don't get me wrong. I'm totally with you on the meme being stupid and damaging to Yoshi. But you don't have to bring it up every time it's mentioned. I usually save it for really egregious examples and not what amounts to a ****post...
I guess you're right -- the best thing to do is to not talk about it (so, hopefully, it will go away -- though it's been several years now and it still hasn't gone away).

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultjoker::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit:
:ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultpichu::ultrichter::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdoc::ultalph:

To be fair to Alph the game doesn't even treat him like his own character anyway.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
It's called an ironic internet joke. If it was really harming Yoshi's image then Nintendo would be making jokes about it to.
But it's not funny (it's making fun of Yoshi and portraying him as morally bad). I don't want to repeat what I've said elsewhere so I'll just summarize by saying it's become too viral, too popular, and too commonly-used. This meme needs to go away.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
But it's not funny (it's making fun of Yoshi and portraying him as morally bad). I don't want to repeat what I've said elsewhere so I'll just summarize by saying it's become too viral, too popular, and too commonly-used. This meme needs to go away.
I personally find it funny, but I also understand that it's a joke. J-O-K-E. It doesn't make me feel any different about Yoshi in any way. I don't see anything inherently wrong with memes about Mario, Kirby, or Donkey Kong either.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultgreninja::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultisabelle::ultyounglink::ultzss:

Oops, I went too far.

Um let’s see if I can get it down to just 20.

:ultbanjokazooie::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmetaknight::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultisabelle::ultyounglink::ultzss:

Nope. I can’t.

If I was only getting rid of one character, I’d get rid of Lucario. Edit: Oh shoot, I forgot about Young Link. Dude is super redundant. I’d get rid of him first.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
What an interesting and controversial question...sounds like fun. :p

If I could Thanos snap away 20 characters, these would be it:

1. :ultlucina: (Echo)
2. :ultbrawler: (Likability faded away quickly for me)
3. :ultgunner: (See #2)
4. :ultswordfighter: (See #2)
5. :ultdaisy: (Echo)
6. :ultdarkpit: (Echo)
7. :ultchrom: (Echo)
8. :ultken: (Echo)
9. :ultdarksamus: (Echo)
10. :ultrichter: (Echo)
--------------------
Those were the easy ones for me. Things get a little harder from here.

11. :ulthero: (Not my taste)
12. :ultpiranha: (I love the random pick/troll that Sakurai did with this character, but Plant isn't a main character of the Mario franchise)
13. :ultdoc: (Not as irrelevant as Plant, but still a step below the other Mario characters)
14. :ultincineroar: (Not my taste)
15. :ultroy: (I love Roy, but his moveset isn't as unique as some other FE characters. Ex: Corrin and Robin)
16. :ultyounglink: (Doesn't do enough for me, as much as I love Majora's Mask)
17. :ultbowserjr: (Not a fan of this character in general)
18. :ultgnw: (Not my taste. Used to like G&W but has aged poorly for me)

Ok these last two cuts were brutal...

19. :ultjoker: (Very hard, because I love Joker's character...but due to him being potentially the most obscure character in Ultimate, he gets the short end of the stick)
20. :ultisabelle: (Love her design and how she plays, but is somewhat similar to Villager)

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I can't think of 20 as almost every character in the game is amazing. So, I'm going to list the ones that really SHOULD leave, and the a few that just need a little tweaking.

The first one that should leave is Young Link. (:ultyounglink:) This nightmare is one of the banes of my existence and he should leave immediately. (No offense to you Young Link mains out there, but he should never be in any Smash game again, as much as I love Ocarina Of Time, even though I haven't played it.) Next is the hellspawn of Smash Online known as Ness. (:ultness:) As much as I love the voice actor, I'm just sick and tired of having to suffer from that [BLEEP]ing PK Fire. This being is the most pain-giving that is the bane of my existence. He shouldn't have been in Smash in the first place. This is the only time I'm going to agree with the Ninten wanters here, but Ninten should have been in Smash from the very start.

Finally, (I will never regret and I will forever be happy about this choice.) Palutena. (:ultpalutena:) Sakurai could've just added Dark Pit and leave it at that, but no, Nintendo put in Palutena as well. She is one of the most annoying fighters in Smash, due to annoying range, a Side Special almost IMPOSSIBLE to avoid, (seriously, dodging Explosive Flame is just sheer LUCK.) an Up Special that allows her to recover easily, and having a counter that can also reflect any projectile you throw at her. This nightmare is one of the most hatred annoyances in Smash Bros. history. With insanely high kill power ON ALL OF HER ATTACKS, they could've just nerfed her when they went from Smash 4 to Ultimate. But what did they do instead? Raise her kill power EVEN MORE. I would ban Palutena from every tournament I would make (as much as I HATE and LOATHE this monster of a goddess.), but she just looks cute. But even that doesn't rescue her from being on this list.

OK. Now for the ones that just need a few tweaks.

First, Cloud needs a tweak on his Limit Break. Cloud for me isn't fun to play with anymore (at least for now), and that's because they removed the instant kill Finishing Touch and added a really unnecessary time limit to the gauge. Seriously, 15 seconds to keep your limit break ain't gonna cut it, Nintendo. Bring back the 1% kill on Finishing Touch, and either ramp up the time limit on Limit Break to 75 seconds, or remove the time limit in total.

Next is Kirby's back air. I would feel like having a Back Air sweet spot effect similar to Zelda's would be really neat. Either a fire, ice, or darkness effect on Kirby's B-Air would be cool.

Finally, Sonic the Hedgehog's side and down specials. I really don't like having TWO Spin Dashes, as they work just the same as the other, so I'd rather change Spin Charge to Spin Dash for Sonic's Down B. Now for the side B, I was thinking the Cyan Laser from Sonic Colors, one of the most popular SEGA games. (I mean, Fawful's Minion put it at Number 1 on his Top 10 Sonic Games list.) The way the Cyan Laser would work is similar to Sonic's Homing Attack, but there's an extra added bonus. You could control the attack similar to PAC-Man's side special, and Mega Man's neutral special.

Well, that's all the fighters I think should leave Smash, and all the fighters I think should just have a few tweaks.

ze9

Smash Ace
20 characters to remove? Well, I'll start with the Smash 4 cast since there's plenty of characters I didn't like there:
:ultwiifittrainer: is a bad joke to me
:ultrosalina: just feels really random and unnecessary
:ultpalutena: is the most boring and dull character that somehow ever got in the roster
:ultrobin: has a horrible moveset and an incredibly boring characterization
:ultlucina: is just there
:ultdarkpit: doesn't really add much
:ultmiifighters: are lame
:ultcorrin: was actively offensive
:ultbayonetta: because of the residual salt from the Smash 4 days

And this was the easy part. Then, 11 more... Uhm.
:ultdaisy: doesn't really add anything
:ultchrom: doesn't add much either
:ultjoker: is cool, I like him just fine... but 20 is a big number...
:ultzss: doesn't represent Samus's character nor the Metroid series not well at all
:ultsheik: is kinda unnecessary
:ultlucario: is cool but I don't like the aura mechanic

The last 5 are going to hurt.
:ultgreninja: is great, but all the other remaining pokèmon are better than him
:ultlink: is pretty necessary for this game, but Young and Toon are both better
:ultshulk: is a cut that really hurts, but I don't like his moveset at all
:ultpichu: is great... but I've already lived through 2 games without him...
:ultrichter: I'M SORRY I JUST LIKE SIMON MORE

Though it's better not to cut anyone.

candysell

Smash Cadet
:ultbayonetta:: I hate her
:ultcloud:: I hate him
:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:: I wouldn't want them to get but 20 had to be chosen
:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:: They're really annoying
:ultsonic:: *Spin Dash* *Spin Dash*
:ultdarksamus:: Unnecesary
:ultchrom:: Nair, Nair Nair
:ultken:: Unnecessary
:ultlucas:PK Fire, PK Fire, PK Fire
:ultrichter:: Just had to get rid of one clone
:ultdarkpit::Getting rid of a clone
:ulttoonlink::Unnecessary Link
:ultisabelle:: Fishing Rod
:ultjoker:: Annoying and boring to go against
:ultdaisy::Unnecessary clone
:ultrosalina::"Oooooooooo"

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Here is the full list of 20 characters I'd remove;
:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultwiifittrainer::ultdiddy::ultvillager::ultjigglypuff::ultness::ultwario::ultlittlemac::ultbowserjr::ultsheik::ulttoonlink::ultchrom::ultike::ultlucina::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultken::ultrichter::ultdaisy:

These characters I just have various particular distastes for personally;
:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultwiifittrainer::ultdiddy::ultvillager::ultness::ultwario::ultpichu:
:ultlittlemac:As cool as Little Mac is, I'm not sure if he's the best fit for this game...
:ultbowserjr: Currently I find the character annoying at times to fight but I guess competitively the character is quite disappointing and I have a hard time seeing any significant buffs coming for this character so with the goal of removing 20 characters he had to sit this one out for me..
:ultsheik: Probably the character I'm most hesitant to remove due to past popularity in other Smash games but I personally don't care for the character and I've even seen others argue for the removal of the character in the past..
We have a lot of Fire Emblem characters and I would take no issue with that if they weren't all really similar to each other so I'd remove 3 of them;
:ultchrom::ultike::ultlucina:
Echoes/Clones that ended up on the chopping block as I tried reaching 20;
:ultdoc::ulttoonlink::ultken::ultrichter::ultdaisy:
:ultjigglypuff: I'd consider Jigglypuff part of the above category. The character has some funny/hype gimmicks but the balancing team seems too afraid to make this character strong and it seems its just due time for Jigglypuff to throw in the towel. Really doesn't matter to me that its a Smash 'Legacy' character.

As for characters I'd want to change up the movesets of I'd say; :ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultroy::ultyounglink::ultisabelle:
:ultdarkpit: Could really use changes to most of his normals, making the majority single-hit attacks without changing his specials much further.
:ultdarksamus: Kinda disappointing they didn't go all out with this character.. They could have used some of the moves from the assist trophy version from Smash-4 but instead turned it into a nearly identical echo of Samus. I've seen a couple full moveset revamp suggestions for Dark Samus and would like to see it become a reality for the character.
:ultyounglink: Further various small changes. Others could give a more educated opinion on what this would look like but the best I can give is maybe completely replacing his boomerang.
:ultisabelle: Seeing as Villager is removed I'd incorporate some of the best parts of his moveset while retaining Isabelle's innocence during attacks. Making for a more functional, versatile, and complete moveset!
:ultroy: Having gotten rid of a lot of the similar FE characters I'd incorporate things particularly from Ike's specials into Roy's. Such as using Ike's/Chrom's Uspecial. Replacing Roy's counter with Ike's Flame Pillar Nspecial. And replacing Roy's Nspecial with Ike's side special.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Here is the full list of 20 characters I'd remove;
:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultwiifittrainer::ultdiddy::ultvillager::ultjigglypuff::ultness::ultwario::ultlittlemac::ultbowserjr::ultsheik::ulttoonlink::ultchrom::ultike::ultlucina::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultken::ultrichter::ultdaisy:

These characters I just have various particular distastes for personally;
:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultwiifittrainer::ultdiddy::ultvillager::ultness::ultwario::ultpichu:
:ultlittlemac:As cool as Little Mac is, I'm not sure if he's the best fit for this game...
:ultbowserjr: Currently I find the character annoying at times to fight but I guess competitively the character is quite disappointing and I have a hard time seeing any significant buffs coming for this character so with the goal of removing 20 characters he had to sit this one out for me..
:ultsheik: Probably the character I'm most hesitant to remove due to past popularity in other Smash games but I personally don't care for the character and I've even seen others argue for the removal of the character in the past..
We have a lot of Fire Emblem characters and I would take no issue with that if they weren't all really similar to each other so I'd remove 3 of them;
:ultchrom::ultike::ultlucina:
Echoes/Clones that ended up on the chopping block as I tried reaching 20;
:ultdoc::ulttoonlink::ultken::ultrichter::ultdaisy:
:ultjigglypuff: I'd consider Jigglypuff part of the above category. The character has some funny/hype gimmicks but the balancing team seems too afraid to make this character strong and it seems its just due time for Jigglypuff to throw in the towel. Really doesn't matter to me that its a Smash 'Legacy' character.

As for characters I'd want to change up the movesets of I'd say; :ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultroy::ultyounglink::ultisabelle:
:ultdarkpit: Could really use changes to most of his normals, making the majority single-hit attacks without changing his specials much further.
:ultdarksamus: Kinda disappointing they didn't go all out with this character.. They could have used some of the moves from the assist trophy version from Smash-4 but instead turned it into a nearly identical echo of Samus. I've seen a couple full moveset revamp suggestions for Dark Samus and would like to see it become a reality for the character.
:ultyounglink: Further various small changes. Others could give a more educated opinion on what this would look like but the best I can give is maybe completely replacing his boomerang.
:ultisabelle: Seeing as Villager is removed I'd incorporate some of the best parts of his moveset while retaining Isabelle's innocence during attacks. Making for a more functional, versatile, and complete moveset!
:ultroy: Having gotten rid of a lot of the similar FE characters I'd incorporate things particularly from Ike's specials into Roy's. Such as using Ike's/Chrom's Uspecial. Replacing Roy's counter with Ike's Flame Pillar Nspecial. And replacing Roy's Nspecial with Ike's side special.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
:ultlink: is pretty necessary for this game, but Young and Toon are both better.
the game would be fine without that Link! maybe it's my fanboy side or the saltyness speaking cause of people wanting to get rid of my boi :ulttoonlink:
but from all Links i honestly want :ultlink: to go,
cause it's like you said the other 2 are better,
feel free to disagree but i do not regret what i said!
besides Toon Link is the only 1 with a personality..why should the most interesting 1 be removed? >.>

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
the game would be fine without that Link! maybe it's my fanboy side or the saltyness speaking cause of people wanting to get rid of my boi :ulttoonlink:
but from all Links i honestly want :ultlink: to go,
cause it's like you said the other 2 are better,
feel free to disagree but i do not regret what i said!
besides Toon Link is the only 1 with a personality..why should the most interesting 1 be removed? >.>
Also, they gave BotW Link a TERRIBLE voice!

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
If I were to, I'd mainly trim out the fat of the roster that wouldn't necessarily be mourned if they were lost. As much as I love Ultimate's roster, there's still things that bug me about it; fighters that come from series with too much representation in the game in the first place, no matter their prevalence as a franchise (Super Mario and Fire Emblem instantly come to mind for me), fighters that simply have no real reason to be in the game other than to maybe shill for the latest entry in their respective series (Corrin, Incineroar), or just fighters that feel incredibly redundant for one reason or another (The three links is a very obvious example).

Overall, I'd cut :ultrobin: :ultdarkpit: :ultpiranha: :ultincineroar: :ultdoc: :ultisabelle: :ultlucina: :ultmiifighters:(if Mii Fighters count as 3 separate fighters) :ultdaisy: :ultrosalina: :ultchrom: :ultyounglink: and :ultbowserjr:. I can't really think of anymore after that I would feel comfortable with leaving out the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultbayonetta::ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultpichu::ultsheik::ultcorrin::ultdoc:
I chose 16 characters. Coming up with 4 more is tricky because I do like the other characters there.

Top Bottom