• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I find that MK still has more than a 50:50 match up against the Ice Climbers simply because he just needs to use aerials very close to the ground, but not close enough to get grabbed, to approach the Ice Climbers. Dair seperates a lot and since tornado goes through a whole bunch of shield, blocking the whole thing would result in you having almost not defense afterward since the Ice Climbers rely mostly on their shields as defense. Ice Climbers have almost no way of approach MK. Blizzard can be SDIed by MK into a forward tilt or dair and basically all of the the other approaches Ice Climbers have including dashing shield are nullified by a SH dair string or dtilt wall.

Off the edge, you have to be lucky not to get killed if the MK is good. If he edgehogs the ledge before you have a chance to get a belay in, he has full control since Squalling up will get killed by a ledge dropped dair.

In the end, this match is all about playing it VERY safe and keeping him from getting in a close range position. He can use his jumps to overwhelm your shield with aerials and tornado doesn't help. I find that this match up would be a 40:60 for the Ice Climbers.

lain

Smash Master
uhhh dunno.. I rarely have games ever time out on me anymore because im always attacking and putting myself in bad situations (just so the fight progresses). I know you guys camp lain to death lol, but he kinda plays

campier than i do. I remember the one time i played m2k i pretty much chased him on the platform and started cging him on it lol. You wouldnt believe how crazy the crowd got after that.
I'm actually not that campy. I play very aggressively with IC's, but I do it to a point where I don't leave openings for me to get punished. Kinda like when I jump camp around people with DDD LOL

And yes I could write an exorbitant amount on this matchup. ... but I won't. LOL

meepxzero

Smash Master
DO IT MUST ABSORB KNOWLEDGE O___O.

Dont feel offended when i say campy because it is needed in this game.

Thought it was funny how one of my crewmmate compared me to you.

"Lain is good at making you walk into grabs. Meep generally knows how to fight with ice climbers (no grabbing)." XD

Honestly watever wins i wish i could make people walk into grabs its a lot easier to win that way =(.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
lmao, camping's fun :) Check the vid in my sig, LOL... P.S. it contains valuable MK v IC matchup insight in it <3 Lain XD... though many of you probably have seen the vid that the portion of my vid comes from.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I find that MK still has more than a 50:50 match up against the Ice Climbers simply because he just needs to use aerials very close to the ground, but not close enough to get grabbed, to approach the Ice Climbers. Dair seperates a lot and since tornado goes through a whole bunch of shield, blocking the whole thing would result in you having almost not defense afterward since the Ice Climbers rely mostly on their shields as defense. Ice Climbers have almost no way of approach MK. Blizzard can be SDIed by MK into a forward tilt or dair and basically all of the the other approaches Ice Climbers have including dashing shield are nullified by a SH dair string or dtilt wall.

Off the edge, you have to be lucky not to get killed if the MK is good. If he edgehogs the ledge before you have a chance to get a belay in, he has full control since Squalling up will get killed by a ledge dropped dair.

In the end, this match is all about playing it VERY safe and keeping him from getting in a close range position. He can use his jumps to overwhelm your shield with aerials and tornado doesn't help. I find that this match up would be a 40:60 for the Ice Climbers.

An aggressive MK can still **** IC's. And most know how/should know how to avoid grabs, and even when one grab means a loss of a stock for MK, he can do alot of damage before you can do that.
A defensive/safe playing MK can also **** IC's. With his fast Dsmash and up b he can punish each small opening.
Ugh MK's a hard matchup >.<

MK vs ice climbers: 65-35, MK's advantage.

lain

Smash Master
Because I'd definitely trust the guy with 200 captain falcons all over his post.

And not our lord and savior, lainium.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Because I'd definitely trust the guy with 200 captain falcons all over his post.

And not our lord and savior, lainium.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHh Laugh MY ****ING **** *** off!!!!!!!!! WHAT an amazing post, lmao =) =) haha :)

...and yeah, I think he's wrong too :)

meepxzero

Smash Master
uair also beats glide attack or ties it.

MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT =P!!!

everyone that doesnt think this match up is 50:50 play more mks. I also was a none believer.

Teh Future

Smash Master
lol lainium.

I think the matchup is 60-40 meta, just because its a lot easier for him to separate nana than it is for us to get a grab and potentially every time nana is separated they should be able to kill her. Honestly I dont think most metaknights are very good at this matchup and most people play it way wrong.

Zeallyx

How come that other people who have the same opinion I have, do not get flamed?

discrimination's bad you know..

Zeallyx

I do play IC's.
They are my main, next to falcon.

And why be like that dev2000? seriously..

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
keep it cool on the ic boards guys ;)

and i think we should go back to topic now ^^

i still think this matchup is at least 65:35 in mk´s favor cause mk can serperate you very easy and kill nana also.. very easy. also he´s a gimpmaster.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord

An aggressive MK can still **** IC's. And most know how/should know how to avoid grabs, and even when one grab means a loss of a stock for MK, he can do alot of damage before you can do that.
A defensive/safe playing MK can also **** IC's. With his fast Dsmash and up b he can punish each small opening.
Ugh MK's a hard matchup >.<

MK vs ice climbers: 65-35, MK's advantage.
Just in case you misinterpreted my match up conclusion, I meant as in MK's advantage.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
It was a bit much. Don't take it too personally though. I think lain was joking, but whover else jumped in was just bandwagoning. :/

Back to the matchup please~

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
right!
so whats the most effective stage to use? MK's worst stage in general is yoshi's island melee...however thats banned in most cases, and Smashville isint exactly a good stage for IC's, also avoid Battlefield at all costs,

lain

Smash Master
All depends on how you feel. Any of the neutrals are fine against MK.

FD is a no-brainer.

Smashville is mini-fd, so the opponent has to fight within closer ranges of you. The small platform allows for camping and ****, but if you're smart about it you can keep pressure on them when the platform moves over the stage.

Battlefield isn't that bad. People overlook the fact that it's hard to approach an ice climber from above a platform. Nigh impossible. People can platform camp on fd, but the platforms don't move so you can just poke at them with two uairs or an uair and bair or w/e. Usmash pokes through the platforms.

PS1 is a handy tradeoff. It's large, open, and flat. There are two platforms, but it's ridiculous to even try and camp on either or both of them because they are too small, way too far spaced apart, and usmash pokes through the platforms here as well. None of the transformations are very pleasant at all. You can actually throw between the transformation and not have it **** up your grab. But that's a little too hard, so I just cg them to the little white sides on either side and bthrow->dthrow cg there because it's unaffected by change.

Yoshi's Island is my least liked stage. But even that isn't bad. Again, it's ridiculous to try and approach from above a platform from the opponent's point of view because there's no really safe options. Also, on the ledges, you can ledge hop blizzard and you both will slide back onto the edge after it's done lol.

People the key here is that IC's have an insane air game and it must be utilized more. It counters people shielding on platforms,

I swear.

meepxzero

Smash Master
ic vertical air game > mks vertical game

mks horizontal air game > ic horizontal air game

ic ground game > mks ground game

if you can stay under mk or keep him grounded you will win this match up or come close.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island is my least liked stage. But even that isn't bad. Again, it's ridiculous to try and approach from above a platform from the opponent's point of view because there's no really safe options. Also, on the ledges, you can ledge hop blizzard and you both will slide back onto the edge after it's done lol.

Really? Yoshi's island is my favorite stage to play against meat because once you get stage control under the platform he has no safe approach options. If they camp platforms they get upaired. They can't space any aerials without being shield grabbed and tornado is just shielded until either they run out and get grabbed or go back to the platform where they get upaired. Planking <<< desynced ice blocks and blizzard.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Metaknight doesn't even need his UpB to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom