• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Belay is always disturbingly effective against that. Either that, or it makes for a good surprise attack.
not really. if you're being hit repeatedly then you can't exactly up b now can you? and if you do it early then he air dodges and ***** you. for lain the matchup is 55:45 Lucario but you have to remember how good lain is. for the rest of us its not anywhere near as easy as you think it is. play even a mediocre lucario and you'll see that its not in our favor.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Lucario can camp really well, and has a pretty good keep away game. You can use Ice Block to stop even fully charged Aura Spheres, and his weight is perfect for chaingrabs. I've never really had much trouble with Lucario and I've played some really annoying ones. It's just a stupid matchup in general.

55-45 in Lucario's favor

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Lucario beats IC's in the air.

Ice climbers beats Lucario on the ground.

Unfortunately, Lucario's Air game > Ice climbers Ground game.

I say 55:45 switch. They don't really have too much advantage toward each other since IC's has grabs that work well with Lucario due to the fact that he is in between floaty and medium, making it easier to time CG, yet he won't fly away so far if you mess up.

lain

Smash Master
Lucario can really **** your nana, all stemming from a single connected dair. Plus, because of his quick throw, he can throw one of you one direction and the other the other. This can be devastating.

Plus, stages like battlefield and yoshi's become a complete nightmare because if you uair at them they just dair through the platform and it wins.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Lucario can really **** your nana, all stemming from a single connected dair. Plus, because of his quick throw, he can throw one of you one direction and the other the other. This can be devastating.

Plus, stages like battlefield and yoshi's become a complete nightmare because if you uair at them they just dair through the platform and it wins.
Ye that happens alot! it sux
Lucario is irritating

meepxzero

Smash Master
playin like errm alright lucarios ive noticed a trend. You pretty much have to approach this match up like gaw or mk where u spam blizzard and ice blocks and when you land the grab dont *** up. This is IF you want a clear advantage vs him because if you dmg him regularly he will destroy u in god mode. Lucario being afraid to get grabbed at 0-10% is a lot less scarier than a lucario at 170%.

Jeet Kune Do

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'd agree with meepxzero. That Lucario at high percent for thoes revenge kills agaisnt Nana is just too crazy. The damage is too high and it's hard to work in those opportunities for KO's especially with Lucario's aura movse like fsmash.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Lucas hmm.. the intresting little motherbrother
Pk fire Is easy to block by an ice block not THAT big of a problem for IC's

Pk thunder1 is a **** atleast Offstage it is If it hits you offstage your IC's will desynch and when your Double jump is already used your Up b will not work correctly anymore and your ic's will both do that little hop and fall to their death

Pkthunder2 Just shield Nuff said. but when it hits you you will get some damage

Pk freeze Doesnt hit me that much but when it does it will be irritating mostly when i play lucas and hit with pk freeze i will use Nair and that ***** :o

His jabs are a great GTFO move and when used right the ice climbers cant grab

his side tilt is pretty fast but its range is crap well.. decent its doesnt desynch the ic's on low damage only at 120%+

his down tilt could let you trip wich will mostly be used to smash you away so thats a good move imo

His uptilt is pretty good it can be comboed with a downthrow up to 15% but after that it is good to do when someones in the air

Side smash: its fast and strong and it can be great in some situations it kills pretty fast even faster with tipper

Down smash doesnt hit that frequently the first hit is a great KO move the second only kills at high percentage REALLY high and the third hits knockback is just crap but the damage equalizes that

Upsmash is EPIC when it hits but it doesnt hit that much cause of the lag that comes along with that move if it misses IC's will grab and mostly he is screwed

Nair Its a SWEET move i love it it is nice to do Shorthopped and it can seperate the ice climbers but it doesnt hit that much and its range is crap so IC's will other shieldgrab or just smash

Fair A great move to get some range and move the IC's away

Uair hmmm it isnt used that well against ic's imo cause its easy to see coming and theres always an airdodge only with PKfreeze it will 100% hit

Bair The spike is epic and the none spike part is a great gtfo move and its good for spacing it doesnt seperate the ice climbers but it DOES desynch them

Dair is a good move but the landing lag is just too irritating i got killed by that little lag soo many times

And now the most irritating thing Lucas is one of the harder characters to chaingrab it is possible but when you play online you must know your non grab game cause the lag will backstab you

Hmmm i say for this matchup

:lucas:45:55:popo:
Lucas is a good matchup but when he gets grabbed hes screwed and most of his moves can be blocked or be made useless
but when hes used right he will **** :3

This is one of my most detailed matchups lol :p i will be proved wrong about anything in a few hours i just know it xD

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
^^
1. lolgrammar

2. nobody counts online for competitive play

3. rest seems pretty good... i hate lucas in general (he's about as broken as MK imo) but i find it to be pretty even. though if you DO give him an inch he will combo your *** back and forth across the stage and kill you with any of his gay *** smashes.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Ive played lucas a lot with okin and yah this match is really dead even. Lucas can play a really good not get grabbed game and hes got a pretty weird timing for cging him.

Jeet Kune Do

Smash Apprentice
Lucas is definitely an interesting kid who a lot of people underestimate. He has some fast, hard-to-punish options like his nair, full hop dair, and even PK thunder (sooo hard to punish that PK thunder... i usually stop trying.) Basically you just have to outdamage him because Lucas' close range game outspeeds the IC's pretty well. They are pretty equal when it comes to range and priority, so just control your space well and work those grabs in.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
My grammar sux these days lol... i hate my english teacher screwing it up for me
anyway ye lucas is fun to play he is my secondary

I'll fix the grammar now just wait a second

Edit: Is this any better? the grammar

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Lucas is so kawaii :3

Back to the point, Lucas has a very fast and a misleading Ftilt, it's pretty good since it has little ending lag and the range is not that bad.

Dtilt is a great way to split the ICs, it can also lead into a Fsmash, one powerful Smash for a character as the likes of Lucas.

Lucas can split the ICs, his Nair is a very good move, it's a fast multihitting attack and has little or no ending lag when properly timed. It's very very hard and so it should be watched for.

PK fire is canceled out my Ice Blocks, so you won't have to worry about it that much, but it's a great spacing tool for Lucas.

Gimping Lucas is easy when he is under the stage, make sure you make our Ice Block hits his PK Thunder and he falls to his doom.

His Dair should be watched, it's a good tool when he full hops it.

We have that ability to beat him on the ground, he's tough in the air, but I think we have a hint of priority on our side.

I really want to but it our advantage but I like Lucas so much, I'll put it a 50:50 just to be nice xD

lain

Smash Master
65:35.

His pkfire can get annoying

Usmash ***** recovering climbers.

Nair is really gay and hard to effectively punish sometimes when they're inside you.

BUT

I used to think IC cg on the earthbounders was weird. bu try it out in training mode, it's kind of slow. akin to bthrowing and dthrowing a heavy character, but not quite. i can do it 100% of the time now. it's not that weird.

powershielding pkfire and running in is quite effective.

ice blocks can gimp his recovery

you can desync to put nana on the edge, and then if they go for the stage you make popo jump on for a renewed invincible thing, or if they go for the stage you shield the upb and then proceed to cg from there.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
65:35.

His pkfire can get annoying

Usmash ***** recovering climbers.

Nair is really gay and hard to effectively punish sometimes when they're inside you.

BUT

I used to think IC cg on the earthbounders was weird. bu try it out in training mode, it's kind of slow. akin to bthrowing and dthrowing a heavy character, but not quite. i can do it 100% of the time now. it's not that weird.

powershielding pkfire and running in is quite effective.

ice blocks can gimp his recovery

you can desync to put nana on the edge, and then if they go for the stage you make popo jump on for a renewed invincible thing, or if they go for the stage you shield the upb and then proceed to cg from there.
so... 65:35 who?

EDIT:

ok... this is unrelated to these forums, but the IC matchup thread on AiB is doing DK now and the DKs are saying its 65:35 DK because he "dominates every other stage". i can't tell if i want to laugh or cry....

meepxzero

Smash Master
so... 65:35 who?

EDIT:

ok... this is unrelated to these forums, but the IC matchup thread on AiB is doing DK now and the DKs are saying its 65:35 DK because he "dominates every other stage". i can't tell if i want to laugh or cry....
I still find it funny people dont find ic as one of the top 5 characters in this game. People are so oblvious at how broken they really are :laugh:

ontopic lains probably got it right i can beat my friend whos one of the best lucas players without cging. If you cg lucas its pretty much a lot more in your favor, but im bad at it.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Weegee
Hmm i havent played many of em but ive played em yes
His air moves are irritating sometimes but not a big problem when your on the ground and know how to dodge
his smashes are decent
his jab combo is a good GTFO move
his grabs are well.. not so good actually his up b is epic (only when it does that super punch thing)
Side b is also great (when your lucky)
down b is a great recovery

and as you said mc-killa desynching is not worth it once he's grabbed hes screwed BIG time

:popo:80:20:luigi2:

D

Deleted member

LOL
Luigi is like impossible to grab with proper use of down b, his combos can seperate popo and nana, and lots of his aerials are safe on block....
Of course hes screwed once hes grabbed, everyone except potentially snake is =/
50:50

Smasher89

Smash Lord
how is desynching NOT worth it? Seriously it´s THE MOST underrated thing in brawl, desynching is extreemly good if you handle it good enough, and the reason that it is so good is that it can force opponents into situations were they get grabbed...

Kage Me

Smash Ace
how is desynching NOT worth it? Seriously it´s THE MOST underrated thing in brawl, desynching is extreemly good if you handle it good enough, and the reason that it is so good is that it can force opponents into situations were they get grabbed...
What he said. If you wanna get grabs on Luigi, you'll need to have some desynch tricks up your sleeve and pray he doesn't see through them.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Weegee
Hmm i havent played many of em but ive played em yes
His air moves are irritating sometimes but not a big problem when your on the ground and know how to dodge
his smashes are decent
his jab combo is a good GTFO move
his grabs are well.. not so good actually his up b is epic (only when it does that super punch thing)
Side b is also great (when your lucky)
down b is a great recovery

and as you said mc-killa desynching is not worth it once he's grabbed hes screwed BIG time

:popo:80:20:luigi2:
I wouldn't say it's an 80:20, but I respect your opinion.
By the way his smashes are way better than decent, because his f-smash kills kills at like 70%+ if it hits. T_T Also, jab combo -> Super Jump Punch is another thing you have to worry about -- well, for me, but DI'ing out of the jab is the key not to get hit when it connects. For his aerials, they're small ranged, but quick such as his n-air that can come out so fast after he gets hit near you; in other words, if he has a small amount of damage and you use u-air on him, he can hit you with his n-air since the hit didn't have much knockback.

Well, uh, I'm not going anymore in-depth for this, but I'll just give it a 60-40 ICs, or 55-45 ICs ish... I've played some great Luigi's, and they're pretty beast. @_@

Don't underestimate the Weegeeness. :]

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I love Weegee for the next president! WEEGEE FOR PREZ!

The green machine packs a punch... 50:50.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say it's an 80:20, but I respect your opinion.
By the way his smashes are way better than decent, because his f-smash kills kills at like 70%+ if it hits. T_T Also, jab combo -> Super Jump Punch is another thing you have to worry about -- well, for me, but DI'ing out of the jab is the key not to get hit when it connects. For his aerials, they're small ranged, but quick such as his n-air that can come out so fast after he gets hit near you; in other words, if he has a small amount of damage and you use u-air on him, he can hit you with his n-air since the hit didn't have much knockback.

Well, uh, I'm not going anymore in-depth for this, but I'll just give it a 60-40 ICs, or 55-45 ICs ish... I've played some great Luigi's, and they're pretty beast. @_@

Don't underestimate the Weegeeness. :]
Ye i havent played many great luigi's tho
and if i do i mostly play someone else cause of the lag @_@

meepxzero

Smash Master
75-35 ice climbers

only thing luigi has going is jab ~> up b. You can literally take free stocks from him if you land any grabs and ice climbers general move sets do well vs his moves.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Mario hmmm i havent played him that much
his **** cape is irritating so is his fludd (only when you already used up B and your falling)
his fireball isnt THAT of a good projectile it has a crappy range and when it hits it doesnt do that much damage Altough you might end up getting comboed
the rest of his moves are great GTFO moves and can be used to combo
His grabs are pretty good besides the fact you can just jab him out with nana or popo it does matter on Color/who he grabs
Chaingrabbing him is rather easy and his weight makes him die pretty fast if you know what your doing

my conclusion is
:mario2: 45:55 :popo:

Mario can give you a great match and if he knows what hes doing wont get grabbed often or get blizzard *****

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Mario hmmm i havent played him that much
his **** cape is irritating so is his fludd (only when you already used up B and your falling)
his fireball isnt THAT of a good projectile it has a crappy range and when it hits it doesnt do that much damage Altough you might end up getting comboed
the rest of his moves are great GTFO moves and can be used to combo
His fireballs aren't meant to deal damage, his fireballs are significant because they move slow enough that Mario can catch up with it. Similar to how diddy can throw a nana at you and grab you when you shield, Mario can hit you with a fireball and follow up with anything. Though with two IC's it could still be hard for Mario to fully utilize his fireballs.

Mario's utilt's are ****. Almost all of his aerials autocancel (not fair), so don't think he's vulnerable if he whiffs an aerial.

His up-b has invincibility frame(s) somewhere, kinda like marth's up-b, but a lot less knockback, but just as much ability to act as a combo breaker.

I'm not sure if Mario can cape the up-b if Nana is aiming for the ledge, but cape -> fludd gimp's are rather humiliating.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
His fireballs aren't meant to deal damage, his fireballs are significant because they move slow enough that Mario can catch up with it. Similar to how diddy can throw a nana at you and grab you when you shield, Mario can hit you with a fireball and follow up with anything. Though with two IC's it could still be hard for Mario to fully utilize his fireballs.

Mario's utilt's are ****. Almost all of his aerials autocancel (not fair), so don't think he's vulnerable if he whiffs an aerial.

His up-b has invincibility frame(s) somewhere, kinda like marth's up-b, but a lot less knockback, but just as much ability to act as a combo breaker.

I'm not sure if Mario can cape the up-b if Nana is aiming for the ledge, but cape -> fludd gimp's are rather humiliating.
Thats true as i said i havent played many good mario's that can actually pull off "The superman combo" and stuff

i'll test right now if icies up b is ?cape-able?

Edit: well i tested it but nana aiming for the ledge is almost too hard to hit
i didnt try to hit popo tho maybe someone else should try it cause its hard enough getting the hit by yourself lol

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Uhm...I'm not sure if he can cape the Belay. Either way, Squall is much better for recovering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom