• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have never talked to a girl before in my whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Please tell me you sent him that manhood bull****.

Also, none of it was really pick-up stuff that he said, it was mostly advice on how you should view yourself and women. Those are just plain good rules of living in general.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Hm.

If you talked with an adult female, like a teacher or counselor, then you should speak the same to a girl as you would to a woman. Ask her questions if you're nervous to say hi, progress more into it if she continues to help out. Give out a thanks afterwards. You will make success if you do just that as she will recognize you in a few weeks or more, depending on her personality and memory. See how it goes by then if she says hi to you.

I think that's pretty what I can think of to get rid of your shyness bit by bit.
I also hope this helps I logically made this up without any experience on talking to a girl while being nervous.
I usually just mind my own business all day until I get interrupted, lol.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Neil Strauss is the same guy who wrote "The Game," which is literally nothing but scumbag bull****, so Keblerelf is absolutely right: listen to Ramen King if you want to be a scumbag *******.

I'll share what happened to me tonight: I went out to a bar with a friend, got a couple of drinks in me, and said hello to a few girls. They all politely declined my advances. It happens, and it's not the end of the world when it does. I still had a great time, and I feel much better about trying and being rejected than just standing in the corner all night. You can't worry about rejection, it's just a part of the process.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ah, well, I just assumed from the examples of what was given that it wasn't all that bad.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Neil Strauss is the same guy who wrote "The Game,"
You did not refer to the book in question but rather a previous book written by the same author in which you have drawn your conclusion from. Simple deduction.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I thought you meant I haven't read "The Game." Yes, you're correct I haven't read "Rules of the Game." I skip any dating book with the word "Game" in the title because they are, in fact, pickup artist bull****.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
That analogy makes no sense. There is no basis to assume that every woman with short hair is a lesbian. There is basis to assume that "Rules of the Game" is similar in content to "The Game," given that it is written by the same author.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
That was not your statement:
I skip any dating book with the word "Game" in the title because they are, in fact, pickup artist bull****.
My analogy is right on par with that. The alteration you made above would be similar to saying "I skip any dating book by Neil Strauss" which I agree has a solid basis for an assumption.

I assure you, however, that they are not the same. The RotG has a lot of useful information. Its missions basically help one to gradually step out of their comfort zone.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Books concerning game might help you get to know more women on a superficial level, which is what OP wants, I guess, but it in no way helps you get into anything more serious with women.
From what I know, game is just half tricks on manipulating women and half changing your own mindset. It's not a bad book if you can seperate the important and useful info from the utter bull****. Kino escalation comes to mind. It's a concept that holds a lot of truth and goes on without thinking about it usually, but it's only presented in one way in the PUA community, and that is while picking up women in a bar in one night, just to dump her the next day.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think anything that goes beyond like a paragraph is a load of bull****. Sorry, the basics just aren't that complicated. I say the basics because the rules depend on who you're picking, there are basic priniciples but everyone responds to different things. Horror horror really?

You might want to consider just making some platonic female friends, straight people say that's impossible but that's nonsense. If you don't find her attractive then it's easy enough. By making such friends you can pick up on female insights and a lot of the time you don't even have to as specifics, you'll just notice them from the way they react to general topics of conversation.

The more convoluted you make the whole picking up art the harder it is to get some. The only people who invest in pick up manuals are awkward and ugly, because attractive people have always had the confidence to go after things. Can't wait for a pedantic douchebag to come in and say BUT THAT'S NOT TRUE OF EVERYONE YOU MAKE SWEEPING GENERLISATIONS TERAN. **** off jobber.

The point is, anyone can find a partner they're satisfied with, when they say "there's someone out there for everyone" it isn't a cliché, you just have to stop overthinking and convoluting, and at the same time not being too over the top with an "I don't give a ****" attitude. "I just won't shower cuz I don't give a **** and girls like that" is just not going to end well.

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
I was homeschooled all my life. Fortunately, my social life was supplemented with other youth groups and such, allowing me to get comfortable around girls. Approaching a random girl can be difficult.

Do you have any other social settings? Do you have a job? (Approaching a female coworker can be much easier.)

If the mall is your only social setting, IMO you should look for at least one thing in common prior to your interaction. There's gotta be a store in the mall you like that has female shoppers. Find a girl in your store, say hi, and ask simple questions about her interests pertaining to the items she is looking at or purchasing. The FYE example would be the best situation. (IE: "Hey, have you seen them in concert?" "Huh, I thought I was the only one who like them." "Getting their new album? It's great!"

Yes, I will use a smash example. I'm a falco main. Think SHL approach. The question is your laser, effectively stopping he in her tracks. Assuming you said hi, and you're not Fugly, she will be thinking about the question and not judging you. This allows to safely enter this initial social bubble. The follow up is up to you, how will you combo? Dig a bit deeper into the interest. (IE: "What other music do you like?" "I printed off that guitar tab and now I can play that song...") But make sure you listen to her and address your next statement/question to her first response. After first question you can branch off into all sorts of stuff if she doesn't have much to say.

Now this won't get you a deep relationship it will just open the door and make you a bit more comfortable around her.

It seems like your overall problem is you lack confidence. Try thinking about something in your life that you could bring up in a conversation that you are proud of. Don't take this situation so seriously. Guys randomly approach girls all the time. It's normal. If you screw up just move on.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Do you have any other social settings? Do you have a job? (Approaching a female coworker can be much easier.)
Also thissss if the mall is your only social settings where girls are present, consider finding more social activities that you enjoy.
This includes job, school, club or stuff like that.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
First step is to stop thinking this **** is magical. At the end of the day, girls want what guys want, sex. Be confident, crack a couple jokes, if it doesn't work out.... just move on to the next one. There are millions upon millions of girls, one of them will find you attractive. Don't make this **** all cute and cudly, it isnt. Just go out and get what you want.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
damn people, be real

The guy has never talked to a woman in his life. I straddle the line of extroversion, probably just barely passing over it, and I can still psyche myself out on the "just walk up and say hi" routine. Because, let's face it, even for natural conversationalists that's gonna be tough, even if it doesn't bother you much to see the conversation fall off or take the polite rejection. Seriously. As nice and down to earth and helpful as that sounds, it's hard enough for well-socialized but quiet people to put that into practice. For someone like OP?

How is that realistic advice?

OP, this is what you need. You need to talk to women. That's it. Before I look like a hypocrite though, let me elaborate! See, you need to disengage the idea that women are some kind of deistic fourth dimensional creature that you don't understand and oh god they smell nice oh god why can't I talk oh man cold sweats. A girl is just a person, like you or me or the people in this thread giving advice that I would assume is dizzyingly incongruous for you.

She's not gonna bite you. Jambino and Falcon are right that you have to "just not worry about it", in a nutshell, but you really need to drill that in. Don't even think of her as a "girl". Think of her as a person. Just a person you're gonna talk to. Like anybody else (you talk to men, right? Surely? Probably without too much issue?)

But here's the big one. In training your ability to not give too many ****s, I think you should just erase the idea of trying to date a girl or ask her out or get her number or whatever. It's not that I don't think it'd help, but I think it'd put way too much pressure on you. The kind that's making you break out in a sweat at the idea of approaching.

Just chat a gal up sometime with absolutely no ulterior motive. There's nothing to be awkward about then, right? She's just a person, you're just a person, and you were nearby and she wasn't preoccupied with anything, so just struck up a conversation. No intentions. No big deal! Just have a conversation, separate, walk away, think about the conversation you had and learn from it for the next one

Do this a bunch. When it starts feeling less terrifying, maybe then you can start going for numbers, though I'd recommend making some friends just because you'll get socialized into, well, an adult social life. Trying to break in through dating is more pressure than you're up to I think

it's a long road, but I honestly think this is the best one you've got. Just talk about little nothings for a while, and again with no ulterior motive, then try easing into more substantive conversations, and so on

and yeah the hobby thing really can work, for reasons that have already been said. That's a great way to make some friends as well, since you'll know you at least have that in common

Ultimately this still does boil down to one of those "just do it" advisings, but that's what everything in big spooky social realm comes down to in the end. Posting on SWF isn't gonna help, at the end of the day. All the academic study of social life you can handle isn't going to help you get past your own insecurity to start breaking ice.

Once you get over yourself and stop letting yourself sweat it and worry about how some girl will react to you talking about the damn weather, or a movie you're both in line for, or whatever the ****, it will get easier. Practice makes perfect bub

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, that was kind of my point early on. Pretty much everyone who was like, "Just go up and talk to them!" are the people who are socially competent. You can't treat Avenging the same as you treat yourself. I am not socially competent, so I can understand how that kind of advice just sucks for anyone other than the people who wouldn't even need it in the first place.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Don't go in there with expectations because, ultimately, you will be let down. Go to the mall and enjoy it. Talking and finding girls should be a priority but most girls will respond positively to a guy randomly browsing a coat rack or checking a store out compared to a guy sweating nervously and looking every which way. As well, expect a couple failures and then learn from them. Review afterwards what you can approve on.

As well, judging from your age, are you going to college after graduation. College is one of the greatest meeting spots for girls. Your chances will increase exponentially.

AvengingTheKnight

Smash Apprentice
I am going to CC and I heard it doesn't really help. I am going to try again tomorrow, I know I said monday, but I can't take the depression anymore, so I'm going to try, not expecting much. Maybe that will lesson the preasure, I also read part of that book, the section on body language and I took alot of notes.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
If you are in a CC, join clubs or interest groups. Most of them do. Or just try to make friends in classes. When I was in college, I was often by myself but in some cases I ended up making friends with people just by sitting near them. Or even form a study group or join a study group.

Before you try to score with the ladies; I suggest easing into the social life by talking and making friends first. Also, don't go talking to a girl hoping for a hook up. Befriend her a little first. Unless you are looking for a easy ****; which tends to be a hit or a miss depending on the location and time.

What exactly are you looking for? A relationship, NSA sex, or just a friend. Also, it's ok to take things slowly. Jumping the gun can lead to disastrous results. But also don't be afraid to take the plunge or risk. Basically, do what you feel you are comfortable and capable with and don't be afraid to take risks.

My first piece of advice is to make friends first though.

:phone:

AvengingTheKnight

Smash Apprentice
I want A relationship, but I don't need the first girl I talk to to be the one, if we end up being friends fro mthe start and forever it's okay. As long as I can talk to girls it doesn't really matter

ChKn

Smash Ace
Just work on your small talk with women first and build yourself up to the point where you feel like you can sustain a relationship. Book places, such as libraries, Books-A-Million, etc. are probably decent places to just sit down and probably start a conversation with someone. Hell, even talking to a cashier for a minute or two, if she isn't getting any traffic (don't try to start a convo with a cashier when there's a bunch of people in line lol), will help you figure out how to approach women. Just don't get down on yourself when one doesn't seem inviting. Just keep working at it. Coming from a person that doesn't get a whole bunch of social experience, those first few steps are terrifying, but you'll learn to be less self-conscious.

Advocate of no relationship approach. Friends in life along with solo time are completely fine substitutes. Unless you want sex with someone solely for that purpose of having it whenever you want in which case I'll never understand you.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
damn people, be real

The guy has never talked to a woman in his life. I straddle the line of extroversion, probably just barely passing over it, and I can still psyche myself out on the "just walk up and say hi" routine. Because, let's face it, even for natural conversationalists that's gonna be tough, even if it doesn't bother you much to see the conversation fall off or take the polite rejection. Seriously. As nice and down to earth and helpful as that sounds, it's hard enough for well-socialized but quiet people to put that into practice. For someone like OP?

How is that realistic advice?

OP, this is what you need. You need to talk to women. That's it. Before I look like a hypocrite though, let me elaborate! See, you need to disengage the idea that women are some kind of deistic fourth dimensional creature that you don't understand and oh god they smell nice oh god why can't I talk oh man cold sweats. A girl is just a person, like you or me or the people in this thread giving advice that I would assume is dizzyingly incongruous for you.

She's not gonna bite you. Jambino and Falcon are right that you have to "just not worry about it", in a nutshell, but you really need to drill that in. Don't even think of her as a "girl". Think of her as a person. Just a person you're gonna talk to. Like anybody else (you talk to men, right? Surely? Probably without too much issue?)

But here's the big one. In training your ability to not give too many ****s, I think you should just erase the idea of trying to date a girl or ask her out or get her number or whatever. It's not that I don't think it'd help, but I think it'd put way too much pressure on you. The kind that's making you break out in a sweat at the idea of approaching.

Just chat a gal up sometime with absolutely no ulterior motive. There's nothing to be awkward about then, right? She's just a person, you're just a person, and you were nearby and she wasn't preoccupied with anything, so just struck up a conversation. No intentions. No big deal! Just have a conversation, separate, walk away, think about the conversation you had and learn from it for the next one

Do this a bunch. When it starts feeling less terrifying, maybe then you can start going for numbers, though I'd recommend making some friends just because you'll get socialized into, well, an adult social life. Trying to break in through dating is more pressure than you're up to I think

it's a long road, but I honestly think this is the best one you've got. Just talk about little nothings for a while, and again with no ulterior motive, then try easing into more substantive conversations, and so on

and yeah the hobby thing really can work, for reasons that have already been said. That's a great way to make some friends as well, since you'll know you at least have that in common

Ultimately this still does boil down to one of those "just do it" advisings, but that's what everything in big spooky social realm comes down to in the end. Posting on SWF isn't gonna help, at the end of the day. All the academic study of social life you can handle isn't going to help you get past your own insecurity to start breaking ice.

Once you get over yourself and stop letting yourself sweat it and worry about how some girl will react to you talking about the damn weather, or a movie you're both in line for, or whatever the ****, it will get easier. Practice makes perfect bub
^This. This so much.

I'm also HS'd so I can kinda relate to u. Only thing I can say is be yourself and remember that its ok to mess up, nobody's perfect. Learn from your mistakes and u'll do better the next time. Its all part of the process. Be confident u got this!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
^This. This so much.

I'm also HS'd so I can kinda relate to u. Only thing I can say is be yourself and remember that its ok to mess up, nobody's perfect. Learn from your mistakes and u'll do better the next time. Its all part of the process. Be confident u got this!
Yeah, I agree with that was well.

Probably the thing to keep in mind here is that relationships don't just happen on the spotlight unless in very rare occurrences. Therefore either look for a person to be your friend before looking for them to be your partner or, as has been stated before, go in to conversations without an ulterior motive. It gives you social experience if nothing else and you always feel better after a positive conversation with a random stranger. As weird as that sounds, I always walk away from a conversation with someone thinking "Ohh hmm that was nice! It's so nice to live in a world where most people are just happy to stop their lives for a moment and talk to you."

AvengingTheKnight

Smash Apprentice
I tried but I hesitated and lost the momment =(, she came in the section for like maybe 4 seconds and I didn't react quick enough. for the rest of the day (8 hours) every other girl was either with their bf, in a group, or on the phone =(.
going to try again tomorrow

abcool

Smash Ace
We are living in the age of technology. If what you want to do is ease into the groove of talking to a girl or just plain understanding them, then join social sites similiar to this one, except where girls actually be on. Tagged, Hi5, Myspace, Facebook. Whatever the case maybe, just join it and add a bunch of girls, talk to them like that, an because you are behind a computer you won't sweat to death and be all shy. Girls like to run their mouths so all you have to do is ask for advice and they will help you out. Don't fall in love online though, no matter how tempting it maybe, just remember it's only for the experience not really to find someone.
They might even be interested in skyping you and chatting, this will help you out even more because you'll have an actual female friend that not only gives you advice, but one you maybe can actually depend on.

After this, talking to a girl in person should feel a lot less awkward. If you can come online and travel the world to crash in a smashers house you never met, this shouldn't be such a bad idea to meet girls.

abcool

Smash Ace
nah, Girls ALWAYS ignore me online I've been trying that for 2 years
I think you're going about it all wrong then. Fix up a bit, take a picture with a nice background the mall will do. An just add a bunch of friends. No way people should be ignoring you online. Some people add randoms all the time. Pretty sure they add anyone on Hi5/Tagged.

AvengingTheKnight

Smash Apprentice
I think you're going about it all wrong then. Fix up a bit, take a picture with a nice background the mall will do. An just add a bunch of friends. No way people should be ignoring you online. Some people add randoms all the time. Pretty sure they add anyone on Hi5/Tagged.
Yeah but when I try to talk to them they never say anything back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom