• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't find whats so good about Melee.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Link to original post: [drupal=4601]I can't find whats so good about Melee.[/drupal]

I have played all 3 smash bros and my least favorite is melee(i like all i just dont like melee like brawl or 64)
In melee the weight is over expressed (roy falls like a rock, ganon no words ,and cpt falcon is pretty heavy ,dr mario falls fast)
using certain side B's to grab a ledge gets me killed instad of holding the ledge
the cpus spam (I.E. bowser over used fire breath ganons up b pikachu's down and neutral B ect.)
and on a unrelated note melee brang the worst smash stage temple(Zelda)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Different people like different games. There's nothing wrong with not liking any particular game, even if it's one that's very popular.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=4601]I can't find whats so good about Melee.[/drupal]

I have played all 3 smash bros and my least favorite is melee(i like all i just dont like melee like brawl or 64)
In melee the weight is over expressed (roy falls like a rock, ganon no words ,and cpt falcon is pretty heavy ,dr mario falls fast)
using certain side B's to grab a ledge gets me killed instad of holding the ledge
the cpus spam (I.E. bowser over used fire breath ganons up b pikachu's down and neutral B ect.)
and on a unrelated note melee brang the worst smash stage temple(Zelda)
New smashboards member is mad that he/she can't play melee because of complexity of advanced techs.

/thread

Twinkles

Smash Lord
If you can't see why Melee is so good, you probably will never know why it is so good, and thus it is kind of fruitless to tell why it is so good, because the people who play Melee like it because it is Melee.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
If you can't see why Melee is so good, you probably will never know why it is so good, and thus it is kind of fruitless to tell why it is so good, because the people who play Melee like it because it is Melee.
Wow.

For this explanation alone, is likely to be the sole reason Brawl's sales dwarf Melee's sales.

And I enjoyed Melee.

link2702

Smash Champion
wel you know...maybe if you actually played against real people instead of just cpu's you might understand why melee is a hell of alot better.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
^ That is an opinion though.

So either way, your opposition is futile! :ganondorf:

''Every answer is just another question to another person in this world''.

''We all live in the same world in a different mind''.

How many times do I have to say this?

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Of course it's an opinion, what else would it be?
He even said "maybe" and "might", so it's actually not opinion, it's fact.

Unless you are saying it's impossible for the OP to like melee more after playing against people...but you'd have to be dumb to say that, because anything is possible. All he did was state a possible possibility.

So nothing you posted is relevant at all.
This is why people don't like you.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
The way he used ''might'' wasn't as in ''a possibility''. Besides, he said ''might understand'' which means that he only gave a possibility to the idea of understanding ''why'' melee is a ''hell of alot better''. That's two seperate layers, while the one I speak of isn't a possibility. He said it as fact, when it's an opinion.

It was that sarcastic ''might'', anyways. Which is implying that melee is ''a hell of alot better''.

Which means: It's not entirely true to everyone else, thus it's an opinion.

Just like ''people not liking me''.

Wait a minute.. You do know I directed that towards Link, right? (Just making sure..)

TL?

Smash Ace
^ That is an opinion though.

So either way, your opposition is futile! :ganondorf:

''Every answer is just another question to another person in this world''.

''We all live in the same world in a different mind''.

How many times do I have to say this?
None? We're trying to argue over video games and you're saying vague pretentious nonsense.

Anyways, melee has much more freedom with it's movement. It's combo system is very deep with techchases and DI, and recoveries being bad makes stage control more important. The game is balanced to be offensive and not campy like brawl.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Yeah but you're not understanding that everyone knows it's his opinion before you come in here and start posting lame quotes.

There is absolutely zero substance in what you posted. Nobody likes the guy who comes in and says "well that's just your OPINION" when it so obviously is an opinion in the first place. It doesn't matter how he stated it, it's just so obviously an opinion that I shouldn't even have to explain this. :facepalm:

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I felt like saying it. So what?

I see people say a whole bunch of stuff that is actually irrelevant BS everyday.

So why are you making me the enemy again? Why are you even making a big deal out of this? You are doing exactly what I did. Making something out of nothing.

I'm guessing we both are on fair grounds now, eh?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think the difference is that you do this repeatedly.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I admit. I have a problem with making something out of nothing.

I already talked to Teran about it. Sometimes decent ideas come out of this BS that I pull, so expect to see it alot.

Atleast it HAS something to do with the thread, it just isn't neccessary all of the time.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
It probably has more to do with the Wii selling over four times as many consoles as the Gamecube.
I could see that, although a purchase of a Wii does not equal a purchase of Brawl.

I don't quite understand why the concern has to jump so radically to this point.
Instead of fussing over the plausibility of how certain words were used, how about giving Alex6309 some insight as to why Melee is hyped to the standard that it is about those who praise it?

I missed you [TL?]

I think this is the part where someone should try converting people to melee.
Lol, perfect timing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like Temple occasionally, when I want long matches with friends. All playing doesn't have to be serious

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Brawl sold so many copies because melee was so great, thus people expected brawl to be great too. In melee, all the characters fall like rocks and, and throws don't kill. It's obviously a terrible game.

People love the fast pace of the melee and the freedom the advanced techs give with the characters' movement, allowing many different styles of play to be effective. It also has a perfect balance of combo ability and evading combos. Brawl is kind of a big rock paper scissors game, while in N64 you hit someone once and they die, even if they shield the attack.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The fact of the matter is that you're not missing what's good about Melee; it's that you don't enjoy what everyone who likes Melee does. Melee's falling speeds seemed 100% normal to me before Brawl, honestly, and I hate how slow and floaty Brawl is. If you LIKE slower and floaty, that's fine, it just means Melee isn't a game you enjoy. Same thing goes for ledges; I like that you have to do more than get within three feet of the ledge to recover, but maybe you don't like the more precise ledges of Melee. And I think Mario Bros. and 75m are far worse than Temple.

So again, you're not missing anything, you simply don't enjoy what the game has to offer.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like how every here basically came in here and accused the OP of being a mindless scrub probably before most of them even read his post, and then there's AV's crazy misplaced philosophical nonsense.

Oh no, someone has different interests, let's flame the **** out of him because we don't need no community.

Atleast it HAS something to do with the thread, it just isn't neccessary all of the time.
**At all.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I like how every here basically came in here and accused the OP of being a mindless scrub probably before most of them even read his post, and then there's AV's crazy misplaced philosophical nonsense.

Oh no, someone has different interests, let's flame the **** out of him because we don't need no community.

**At all.
Spelt for President.

I was hoping the OP's criticism was more constructive. That's all.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
am sad that melee need more better recovery it such horrible PLEASE VISIT AND POST MY BLOG SMASHPROZ IT SO DEAD

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
First of all, let me say that I am a huge melee fan. I'm also a brawl fan, but not in the same way. I enjoy playing brawl casually. Brawl is that game that you can just pick up and play with your friends and there is enough back and forth that they don't want to quit playing right away, etc. Brawl also led me to melee if you can believe it, so it holds a special place in my heart. (I'm also that gamer that plays games for every single reason out there, so I like almost all games.)

I can understand not liking melee. It's highly complicated, and actually highly balanced but it takes great amounts of skill to be good at it. More skill than brawl at this stage in brawl's lifespan (just remember how long it took for melee to progress this far. I still believe that there is untapped brawl potential). Oh, brawl also brought us music and texture hacks, which are ****. Anyway, back to melee. I just want to take a moment to talk about what melee did for the smash franchise as a whole over how great a game it actually is. Melee was the biggest leap forward in the series, and, if you take a look at the numbers, is arguably the third biggest reason people even purchased the wii (behind new game mechanics and wii fit). Brawl's hype was all because of how -good- melee was, and many people purchased the wii solely to be able to play brawl (online with friends? who wouldnt? Also another reason I enjoy brawl. Can be by yourself and still play with others) Sure, when you compare the games there will always be haters, but looking at the franchise as a whole, you have to like melee for the simple fact that it has done so much for Nintendo and what it continues to do for them.

I'm sure all this sounded much better in my head and I probably skipped something I meant to say, but I hope you understand my point.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord

**At all.
No one called him a mindless scrub but you. People really haven't flamed the crap out of him either, but rather they've trolled him cuz it's a dumb and pointless and blog. "Hi everybody, I like grapes, but I don't like apples. I don't get it." I like how you come in accuse and generalize everyone that you don't even know, so you flame the crap out of everyone because you want everyone to hate you.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
No one called him a mindless scrub but you. People really haven't flamed the crap out of him either, but rather they've trolled him cuz it's a dumb and pointless and blog. "Hi everybody, I like grapes, but I don't like apples. I don't get it." I like how you come in accuse and generalize everyone that you don't even know, so you flame the crap out of everyone because you want everyone to hate you.
Lost @ generalize.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I see a major error in that gif. Whats up with that phantom popcorn falling down on the side yo?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
From a casual perspective, I can see why you'd think Brawl or 64 is superior to Melee, but I think if you played Brawl and Melee both competitively for a while you'd disagree with the opinion you have presently.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Wait a minute, did he say that Brawl/64 was superior to melee? Isn't that a little extreme?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's your opinion, and it's fun to have one and all but. . .

I want some reasoning. Personally, I think the levels, characters, physics, and gameplay of Melee blow Brawl out of the water. Brawl's character choices are cool, the levels are. . . meh. The physics and gameplay. . . . me no like.

Top Bottom