• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't find whats so good about Melee.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yes, Brawl has mindgames because there's like no ****ing combos so you have to hope your random spaced poke hits without you getting hit by their poke, man that's way deeper than anything Melee has to offer 'mindgame' wise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SoWnOhBqkbY#t=300s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ERYPW4wdbzQ#t=433s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f5I8iJ3cBs8#t=226s (the entire 16 seconds)

Just saying.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Thank you for disproving the notion that there aren't a lot of combos that add to a better offensive game to Brawl by showing me a few combos done on heavier characters because I totally believed there are ZERO combos because I never played Kirby or seen any other characters capable of a few small combos during the year I kinda cared about Brawl.

For you kids having trouble following at home, that was sarcasm.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You shouldn't be posting in absolutes in the first place saying a lie like their are no combos.

But if you think it's ok to mislead people, I'll be glad to correct you.

edit: Either is Jiggs or Peach, lol. Heck it just so happens that a lot of the better characters are also easier to combo, Fox, Falco, Falcon are a lot easier to combo than most of the cast.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You shouldn't be posting in absolutes in the first place saying a lie like their are no combos.

But if you think it's ok to mislead people, I'll be glad to correct you.

edit: Either is Jiggs or Peach, lol. Heck it just so happens that a lot of the better characters are also easier to combo, Fox, Falco, Falcon are a lot easier to combo than most of the cast.
Like as in similar but not completely.

But sorry I thought people had reading comprehension, my bad.

I also love how this doesn't address my point that Brawl doesn't somehow have more magically deep mindgames, you just really want to get into how many combos Brawl has. Which, last time I checked, most people agree isn't a whole lot.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You should be clear with people when posting things and being reasonable for the opposing side if there is something you said with absolution which can easily be disproven, which you even admit you had prior knowledge of being an incorrect statement.

If you think I didn't read that or see that what you said was a blatant lie then I'm afraid your sad mistaken.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I say I put like in there to show it's not an absolute, guy doesn't get it, rather than idunno, settle for maybe I'm lazy and he's reading into it too much, calls me a liar.

Man, even I don't do that ****. Much. I think.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I also love how this doesn't address my point that Brawl doesn't somehow have more magically deep mindgames, you just really want to get into how many combos Brawl has. Which, last time I checked, most people agree isn't a whole lot.
What kind of mindgames are different?

Wavedashing back? That's just defensive movement no different than walking away.
Tech chasing? There is no difference, same concept.
Follow ups? Still no difference.
L canceling? There is no mindgames outside of the react-able changing the timing to a shields tilt. Without a shield involved there is no mindgame from deciding to cut your lag in half.

I never denied Melee had more combos, or even more opportunities with options since wave-dashing adds more options, I'm merely pointing out saying it has none is a lie.

I say I put like in there to show it's not an absolute, guy doesn't get it, rather than idunno, settle for maybe I'm lazy and he's reading into it too much, calls me a liar.

Man, even I don't do that ****. Much. I think.
Which you are a liar, don't care if it's from being lazy or not.

It's not even reading hard, it's seeing what you said and pointing out the flaw.

GofG

Smash Champion
I never denied Melee had more combos, or even more opportunities with options since wave-dashing adds more options, I'm merely pointing out saying it [brawl] has none is a lie.
since wave-dashing adds more options
supermod status right here

edit to avoid the infraction: as an ice climbers player, being able to mixup lightshield stuff with nana and popo means that you can make it EXTREMELY difficult to l-cancel on their shields.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Wavedashing back? That's just defensive movement no different than walking away.
Tech chasing? There is no difference, same concept.
Follow ups? Still no difference.
L canceling? There is no mindgames outside of the react-able changing the timing to a shields tilt. Without a shield involved there is no mindgame from deciding to cut your lag in half.
See I'm not even stating Melee has more I'm saying he mentioned Brawl emphasizing mind games, I stated I don't really see how it somehow has more I'm not going to get into why/how Melee has more or less if no one can give me a reason why they actually think Brawl has more mind games that isn't ****ing stupid.

GofG

Smash Champion
also, uh, dashdancing is a pretty ****ing important aspect of mindgames which is ****ing prevalent as hell in melee and completely nonexistent in brawl because the maxdelay after which you can't turn around got nerfed hard.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
supermod status right here

edit to avoid the infraction: as an ice climbers player, being able to mixup lightshield stuff with nana and popo means that you can make it EXTREMELY difficult to l-cancel on their shields.
Still doesn't change much about L-Canceling.

See I'm not even stating Melee has more I'm saying he mentioned Brawl emphasizing mind games, I stated I don't really see how it somehow has more I'm not going to get into why/how Melee has more or less if no one can give me a reason why they actually think Brawl has more mind games that isn't ****ing stupid.
Brawl requires more reads to gain a victory than Melee. Due to how much faster people die in Melee as well as the more comboisk game, you need less reads in Melee to move forward compared to Brawl where it takes more confrontations and reads to deal damage.

also, uh, dashdancing is a pretty ****ing important aspect of mindgames which is ****ing prevalent as hell in melee and completely nonexistent in brawl because the maxdelay after which you can't turn around got nerfed hard.
Dash dancing is moving back and forth to keep options open, since you can move in either direction on a dime.

It does add to it, but it's simply zoning with movement.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
See it's funny because your argument is essentially "the game takes longer and rewards you less for reads, thus more reads happen more often and are therefor more important."

Idunno, mindgames where failure might mean death seem kinda more awesome than mindgames that cost you about 10%

._.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
See it's funny because your argument is essentially "the game takes longer and rewards you less for reads, thus more reads happen more often and are therefor more important."

Idunno, mindgames where failure might mean death seem kinda more awesome than mindgames that cost you about 10%

._.
More reads needing to be made makes them more important if you have to read more rather than less.

1 read means death doesn't make reads more important as much as learning how to get that death off consistently.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

Just have to note one thing on this statement:

It's very different than walking backwards. Depending on the character, it covers more distance faster, but more importantly, can be done out of a dash/run, and... wavelanding. Opens up so many options.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Actually, Melee is the best because there is no casual Melee players. They're all competitive.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
As cute as this is tone it down I don't like having to do my job.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Actually with Project M Brawl would blow Melee out of the water. But if we're talking unmodded versions then I will have to say I prefer Melee>Brawl because:

Melee is faster pace.
Tripping...
Brawl has a much larger gap in imbalance. (MK vs. Ganondorf)
Fludd

Brawl was also missing two characters as well that made it a HUGE disappointment for me... namely Isaac and Geno. But whatever.

DUB

Smash Lord
Actually with Project M Brawl would blow Melee out of the water. But if we're talking unmodded versions then I will have to say I prefer Melee>Brawl because:

Melee is faster pace.
Tripping...
Brawl has a much larger gap in imbalance. (MK vs. Ganondorf)
Fludd

Brawl was also missing two characters as well that made it a HUGE disappointment for me... namely Isaac and Geno. But whatever.
MK vs. Ganon or Marth vs. Pichu?

The term mindgame is being thrown around to liberally. Half of what I'm seeing is ATs=Mindgame. Because you are running back and forth doesn't mean " oh look dewd at my shweet mindgames". It means my use of this technique is provoking a desired action from the opponent.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Mindgames are a great technique. The only problem: it's practically the only thing people do in Brawl. Dance around, just jump a few times, you're a floating ****ball after all.

crush

Smash Master
MK vs. Ganon or Marth vs. Pichu?

The term mindgame is being thrown around to liberally. Half of what I'm seeing is ATs=Mindgame. Because you are running back and forth doesn't mean " oh look dewd at my shweet mindgames". It means my use of this technique is provoking a desired action from the opponent.
marth vs pichu is not the worst/best matchup in the game for either character and marth isnt even the best character lol

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Being fair here, either is Ganon vs MK.

If anything Sheik vs Ganon or DK vs D3 is far worse than Ganon vs MK.

MK was bonkers because of his overall spread, not top vs bottom tiers or something like that.

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Both games are horribly imbalanced
Melee is more balanced among the top tier

But both games are horribly imbalanced

Uffe

Smash Hero
Wow.

For this explanation alone, is likely to be the sole reason Brawl's sales dwarf Melee's sales.

And I enjoyed Melee.
If you're saying that Brawl is better because of sales, that doesn't mean anything. A lot of Melee players had high hopes for Brawl before it came out. The community had been waiting for six years for another Smash game to come out, so many people thought Brawl would top Melee. It did...in sales. But compare the two games and really see the pros and cons of each game, you'll find out that while Brawl had a lot of new content, music, stages, characters, etc., to a competitive level, many were disappointed because it lacked specific techs, was floaty, there's tripping, and lack of hitstun to actually do combos, which is necessary for fighting games of all types.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brawl, because it's Smash. But I don't like that it was aimed towards casual players only, which strays me more towards Melee. I'm really hoping that because Nintendo plans to aim the Wii U towards more harcore players, the next Smash game trumps Melee, or is better than Brawl.

Sakurai thinks Melee is a bad game compared to Brawl, because it's too difficult. Well, before I started to take Melee on a more serious level and still have fun with it, I was a casual player who still enjoyed Melee regardless. So it is possible to make a Smash game aimed towards hardcore players and still be playable for casual players. This is what I'm hoping Sakurai and his group does for the next Smash games.

Cleod

Smash Cadet
Melee's just my type because it has fast play and isn't floaty. Just my tastes though

Top Bottom