• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule should be counterpick only

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'd be against a ban. I rarely even play on hyrule but there aren't enough playable stages in 64 to ban it. If you don't like it strike it and learn how play on it if people counterpick you there.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I'd be against a ban. I rarely even play on hyrule but there aren't enough playable stages in 64 to ban it. If you don't like it strike it and learn how play on it if people counterpick you there.
I don't get this type of thinking. So you're saying that you'll allow janky stages in for starter/neutral stages if there's a low selection of stages to choose from? We should be cracking down on all the bad stages until we finally have fair and balanced good stage(s) left.

so sheer, say we only have 2 stages in this game to choose from, and they are: dreamland and sector z, would you keep them both? ROFL

I know most of you love your Hyrule, but damn, please stop being foolish by saying there's nothing wrong with the stage and/or how it balances the game.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
BR members, please check the BR briefly

i know it's a pain, but i'd like to strike while the iron is hot
hmmm I'm noticing all the ban people are in the backroom... I think I see where this is going. I'd just like the BR to keep in mind that there are notable players against the ban while they are discussing this behind closed doors. In making/chanigng a ruleset, you are kind of representing everyone, not just yourselves, regardless of how much you disagree them.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
im the one who drafts the rulesets, and i think i know where most of the people who care about this issue stand

hyrule will most likely not be neutral next ruleset, but there will be something about the gentleman's rule stuck in

Battlecow

Play to Win
put me down for against ban

also superboom you still for a ban? You seemed to no longer be against the stage at apex
Notable players only, otherwise anyone could call up heaps of randoms to back them up

So no you, no me, no olikus (until vids of his PDK reach youtube) :/

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@aa, fair enough

@bcow, also fair enough. A$ where you at I know you are against this ban and notable!

Also, king funk is notable? hasn't anyone seen that video of random Brawl N00b <3 pwning him?

DMoogle

A$
I'm very, very against this ban. I rarely play a match where camping is a big issue. And camping annoys the hell out of me.

This ban makes me feel like "NO ITEMS PIKA ONLY DREAMLAND." Come on, Smash 64 is a better game than that. Hyrule is competitively fine, allows for many unique situations, and, most importantly, tons of fun.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't get this type of thinking. So you're saying that you'll allow janky stages in for starter/neutral stages if there's a low selection of stages to choose from? We should be cracking down on all the bad stages until we finally have fair and balanced good stage(s) left.

so sheer, say we only have 2 stages in this game to choose from, and they are: dreamland and sector z, would you keep them both? ROFL

I know most of you love your Hyrule, but damn, please stop being foolish by saying there's nothing wrong with the stage and/or how it balances the game.
My thinking =

Not wanting dreamland to be the only available stage for the first match of the set.

Sorry but that would be ********.

Playing a gimpy Pikachu with Fox on dreamland can be just as ******** as a someone camping in the tent on hyrule.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
My thinking =

Not wanting dreamland to be the only available stage for the first match of the set.

Sorry but that would be ********.

Playing a gimpy Pikachu with Fox on dreamland can be just as ******** as a someone camping in the tent on hyrule.
If you're a Fox main you're NEVER gonna play on Hyrule 1st match anyway. It's always either gonna be Congo or Dreamland.

Hyrule is such an awful stage anyway. It's just... garbage. Tornados, circle camping, tent camping. You have to deal with so much bull****, so many additional unwanted aspects to the overall game that only appeal to crybabies because it detracts from the "getting gimped" part of Smash 64. If you have a beef with Dreamland, the problem is not Dreamland, it's the game itself. Because at least on Dreamland you are actually playing Smash 64 and not Hide And Seek.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
If you're a Pikachu main you're NEVER gonna play on Hyrule 1st match anyway. It's always either gonna be Congo or Dreamland.

Dreamland is such an awful stage anyway. It's just... garbage. Gimping, gimping and more gimping. You have to deal with so much bull****, so many additional unwanted aspects to the overall game that only appeal to crybabies because it detracts from the "camping" and "comboing" parts of Smash 64. If you have a beef with Hyrule, the problem is not Hyrule, it's the game itself. Because at least on Hyrule you are actually playing Smash 64 and not Gimp the Dwarf.

In all seriousness though, I'm against making it a CP.

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
Until there's evidence of camping being gamebreaking (of which APEX showed...one bad match?), any argument about it as a less legitimate playstyle than gimping is entirely baseless.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^The gerson vs Isai matches and anything Gerson for that matter say hi.

The only set in which camping was kind of an issue was the Sensei-Kefit match.

Also, if a solo stage was the neutral, I would pick congo personally. Too many issues with the other stages, too camp oriented on Hyrule and too gimp oriented on Dreamland

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Stages being "fun" or "not fun" is a weak argument for a competitive stage list. The same goes for saying "gimping is bad" or even "camping is bad". Good solid reasoning and logic toward competitive gameplay is what will make the biggest influence in the long run.

Battlecow

Play to Win
one campheavy match at apex?

Nintendude-Jaime, Kefit-Jaime, Kefit-sensei...?

Also, opinion is actually divided more evenly than I thought. Hm.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
get outta town, i shotgun TO for summersmash

and australia could not give a flying **** about what happens with hyrule, considering we only play friendlies now even in tournaments lol

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
oh come on i love playing ness in tournaments

no one ever freaking expects in double blind picks

i am not buying you anything unless you plan on driving half the way

clubbadubba

Smash Master
one campheavy match at apex?

Nintendude-Jaime, Kefit-Jaime, Kefit-sensei...?

Also, opinion is actually divided more evenly than I thought. Hm.
I just watch Kefit v Jaime 1st game of samus v pika on hyrule and I gotta say that game was not campy at all. There was no abuse of "circle camping" and no prolonged tent camping that I saw. The game certainly did not show camping to be 'broken' in any sense. I would agree that the only camp heavy match I remember at apex was king funk vs valeom, and that was really stalling (funny as hell though). Even if you see camping in some of these videos, at what points does it appear 'broken' is the important part. For the weeks before apex everyone was saying how apex videos would show camping to either be broken or not. At high level play I can't think of when camping on hyrule was shown to be broken. If anyone does see what they interpret as camping being broken (at high level) then they should say specifically when it occurred. Otherwise, I honestly don't see why we are still even having this discussion.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
clubba, even if the matches were not broken the ban hyrule crowd would not yield to any arguments resulting from them lol

oh come on i love playing ness in tournaments

no one ever freaking expects in double blind picks

i am not buying you anything unless you plan on driving half the way
ill drive the whole way if you buy me a booster box

cheeseball341

Smash Journeyman
we're banning pika and ness and neutrals are hyrule/peachs/zebes

im not even joking, this is the summersmash ruleset
Ban for revealing Aus secrets.

But srslie, if we are banning some characters can we just ban every char but Fox, mario, yoshi, puff and maybe dk. All fun chars that have fun matchups against each other.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^I couldn't help but notice those are the two characters you highly overrate vs Fox. I think someone might be a little mad.

:troll:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Who's whining about gimps on dreamland? When I play fox I play there 99% of the time, even vs pikachus. It's a challenge not to get gimped.

It's the people complaining about hyrule that seem like the whiners to me. If you're going to ban anything that has the potential to be gay in this game you'll be banning a lot of crap.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I wrote a long post towards Battlecow starting with "you can put me against a ban" and then I summarized my thought process regarding Hyrule

Then I read my post and was like "wait no nvm I'm not sure" and scrapped it

Why am I telling you guys? Because it makes me feel slightly better about the 40 minutes or wharever I wasted

The Star King

Smash Hero
Maybe I should just get rid of the first paragraph

But I actually wrote it at school and saved in a Word document so you have to wait until tomorrow

Hyrule makes me feel so conflicted D:

Top Bottom