• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule should be counterpick only

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
A couple of those Gersonsai matches had looooooooooong stretches of absolutely nothing happening. With money and big deal stuff on the line, it's easy to see those lasting for a couple of hours or whatever simply because there's no advantage to be had in moving. Realistically, you're right, the investment that a player has in a 64 match probably won't be that great and we'll max out at 20 minutes or whatever. The point is that dat stuff is one of many things that makes Hyrule undesirable from a competitive standpoint.
The point is that it's not gamebreaking because it hasn't broken any game yet. Once it does that, then the step is "Is it possible to overcome this break in the game?" I'm even willing to concede that step considering the small community, but saying "WELL IT MIGHT THEORETICALLY, EVENTUALLY LEAD TO 20 MINUTE MATCHES" is far-fetched and not to the evidence level necessary to ban.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
you guys are basically defining away the issue. yes, if you say "aggressive play" is just charging in blindly at all times then "aggressive play" isn't very good
Aggressive play is absolutely awful.

But a line has to be drawn between playing defensive (core of Smash 64) and camping.

The Star King

Smash Hero
OK I'll admit that King Funk being defensive is an assumption of mine. I just figured the guy who said "64 is more defensive than Brawl" to be, you know, defensive.

News to me too.

My two cents : Defense : High reward Low risk (Same launchers as the attacker, except it's easier to not make mistakes when defending)
Offence : High Risk High Reward ( Easier to make mistakes, but punishes in case you succeed are just as hard)

Thus, what's the point of Offence? I usually attack 24/7 in freeplay, but if I wanna win I know I'll need to pew pew all game and just stay on my toes.
I don't see how defensive play is much less risk. Don't ignore its disadvantages - for example, projectile camping generally means you give up positional advantage, although admittedly this applies a bit less to Hyrule. Camping with high priority attacks tends to makes you predictable because you generally have few reliable options that both beat most approaches and hold your position. Just a couple of examples.

Maybe I'm weird but I honestly prefer playing against defensive people. It gives me breathing room to pick apart their habits and adapt. My style revolves around reading the opponent, though, so yeah, maybe if I played as mindlessly as most of Kaillera I would have more trouble with the defensive.

pretty much this, isai rarely commits if he doesn't have a good chance of getting a good hit
Yes. And when he sees said opportunities, he goes for it far more freqeuntly than more defensive players that don't take the risk. I would call this being aggressive.

Apparently you guys are under the impression that aggression = mindlessly rushing in as hard as possible. One can be intelligently aggressive, you know.

The fact that people think Isai is defensive blows my mind. Hell, King Funk is my opposition, but when I used Isai as an example of aggressive player in a past discussion he didn't deny this. He just explained it away (of course) by saying that he plays that way because he's way better than everyone else (his skill leads to the possibility of him being aggressive - it can't possibly be that his aggression is a part of his skill/contributes to his success!).

you guys are basically defining away the issue. yes, if you say "aggressive play" is just charging in blindly at all times then "aggressive play" isn't very good
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm glad I'm not the only one - makes me feel less crazy.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
64 is a game of feeling out your opponents until you have a solid opening to punish, then punishing for all you can muster

people are taking it to extremes, it's not as if the only two playstyles are turtley tent camping and super mega unsafe rushdown - defensive play is integral in high level play: this extends mainly to safe spacing and making it so you can't be hit easily (as opposed to taking risks)

isai is 'aggressive' in that he seems to go for it when he thinks he has a hit *after* whatever defensive play he's been messing with - other players might not have those reads or confidence and hence stay out a bit longer, so isai looks a tad more aggressive

The Star King

Smash Hero
Once again, you are showing that you have a different definition. Look at my previous response to you.

Your post seems to imply being unsafe is a requirement for being aggressive. In my definition, it is not. It's simply approaching frequently, whether it's safe or not. Going out of your way to challenge your opponent's position as opposed to holding your own.

Top Bottom