• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would the tier list change if MK is banned?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I don't want this topic to change into another "MK must be banned" Topic (Even though I want him banned, the topic says it all...)

But, If MK is banned, or was never in Brawl, how would the tier list look then? MK makes it so that many of the mid/low tier characters don't stand a chance, while those characters have neutral or advantage matchups against the rest of top tier (ROB for an example, ROB is snake's worst matchup.)

So, how would the tier list look with MK out of the picture? any thoughts?

Another thought, Also, how would this lead into new tactics for characters? As you would see a much more diverse cast in the metagame.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Snake and G&W would rise to the top. Falco and D3 would be close behind, Wario would fall.

The rest will stay about the same, maybe some changes on the lower side of the whole list.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Marth would probably become at least top 3. He also wouldn't have a clear-cut disadvantaged fight.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Marth would move up to top tier quite easily and Falco would be the best character.

Marth would retain his bad matches in Donkey Kong, Snake, ROB, and Dedede. Falco loses his bad match of Meta Knight but still has the advantage against Dedede, Diddy Kong, and Snake. Falco's only true counter would be Game and Watch since the Marth match-up is far closer than people really know.

Snake would be penalized because he loses one of his largest assets, which is having the advantage against MK, but he keeps all of his slight disadvantages.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sonic would move up to high midtier
ROB would move up
snake would still be pretty brokedified
without the one matchup for yoshi to use to say "hey, were good i promise!" he would proly stay where he is now
pit would definitely move up

Inui

Banned via Warnings
sonic would move up to high midtier
MK isn't his biggest problem, so why would he move up to the same tier as characters like Wolf and Charizard?

ROB would move up
If you believe the gross exagerrations of people like Overswarm, sure. If you believe real top players like NinjaLink, ROB wouldn't really change since the MK match-up isn't that bad at all.

pit would definitely move up
That seems possible.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
everyone says that falco would be the best, but im not too sure about that. what about game and watch?

his only bad matchups would be snake and marth, and have

falco looses (albeit can be close in some situations) to marth, rob, and GaW

2nd would be like falco and ROB
ROB would be good against everyone except strong loss to GaW, and going even with DDD, overall he beats snake, falco, dk, marth, etc

after falco/rob would be marth snake i think

edit: i forgot to factor olimar into all this who beats rob, ddd, and loses to marth. i dunno how he does with falco, GaW, and Snake

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Falco doesn't lose to Marth or ROB, despite what matchup threads may say. Just throwing that out there. Falco is at 45/55 disadvantage at worst vs Marth.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i just said he loses to marth from what iv heard, but i think he loses to rob. its kinda close, but if ya gotta give it to one of em, rob gets the favor in the matchup. edgeguarding ftw :)

Nic64

Smash Lord
1. gay projectile spammer that may or may not have a gay chain grab
2. gay projectile spammer that may or may not have a gay chain grab
3. Game and Watch? Marth?
4. gay projectile spammer that may or may not have a gay chain grab

etc.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
MK isn't his biggest problem, so why would he move up to the same tier as characters like Wolf and Charizard?

That seems possible.
1. MK IS sonics worst matchup by far, trust me.
2. Sonic already is a better character than charizard.
3. im pretty sure hes better in tourney rankings than both of them.
4. yea, pit really gets shafted with MK around

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
edit: i forgot to factor olimar into all this who beats rob, ddd, and loses to marth. i dunno how he does with falco, GaW, and Snake
Olimar doesn't beat Rob, lol.

He's around even with Falco and GaW, and has a slight advantage on Snake.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Most of my opinions have already been said but, if you ask me, the Ice Climbers, Wolf, Olimar, Pit, and Pikachu would definately get a boost since these characters have decent (meaning no worse that 40-60 on average) match ups against the high tiers aside from Metaknight absolutely destroying them.

Add in: Because I'm sure some one's going to say something, yes, I'm fully aware that Wolf has God Awful match ups against Falco and King Dedede. Note that I used the words "on average" to represent all five characters I mentioned.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
This really goes to the heart of the whole ban issue. Anti-Ban people say that one character will rise up to replace MK as the top-tier. Usually it's Snake who is considered the most likely to become the new king of smash, but I've heard people mention Falco, and G&W. Personally if it happened this way I'd guess that it would be Snake.

The Pro-Ban side asserts that with MK gone the tier list will get shaken up, with some possible big changes occurring. With MK gone they say that other top tiers will be played (obviously) resulting in some immediate variety. After a while though I believe that some middle tier people will begin to move around, since there will be valid counter picks to the top tier.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
2. Sonic already is a better character than charizard.
oh lolol

keep in mind that gw will basically replace mk's job in tourneys as a bottom tier slayer. gw ***** a lot of the cast, just like mk does. and gw is the reason why no bottom/mid tier character will suddenly rise to prominence, EXCEPT maybe toon link. gw has maybe 2-3 slightly bad matchups, that's it. snake is one of them iirc, grenades blow for gw. simple to learn, stupid hitboxes, hard to gimp, good recovery, ******** kill power, stupid dthrow tactics. at least he has some punishable lag, unlike mk.

marth has a lot of matchups in the very slight advantage range, so he's not going to be dominating any time soon, but i can easily see him take top 4 on the tier list.

snake stays where he is because he does well against gw and marth.

falco hates gw. no way falco takes the top spot. marth is neutral to slight disadvantage falco.

ddd stays near where he is, like top 3-4. falco keeps countering him.

rob has about as bad a matchup with gw as he has with mk, so he'll probably be top of high tier.

basically marth replaces rob in top tier (he should even with mk allowed), gw hops up to #1 and keeps falco/ddd/rob from advancing much. snake/marth/falco/ddd in that order finish up the top tier imo, but there's a lot of room for a different ordering.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
GW is pretty broken, but not many people try to exploit him.

Oh, and Charizard is definitely better than Sonic.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
how can you move sonic up to high-mid when he has very tough matchups vs marth, gw, and snake? taking mk away doesn't take these matchups away, and all three would be very common in tournaments.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Most of my opinions have already been said but, if you ask me, the Ice Climbers, Wolf, Olimar, Pit, and Pikachu would definately get a boost since these characters have decent (meaning no worse that 40-60 on average) match ups against the high tiers aside from Metaknight absolutely destroying them.
Good luck trying to convince Anther of that.

WorioMan94

Smash Rookie
You all are whinners becuse Meta Knight rocks and if your gonna complane, DON'T PLAY BRAWL MORONS!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Steeler LOL at your sig. It took me losing 2 stocks to realize the reason i kept missing the ledge was because there was none ;)
haha i know. i just chuckled in my head when you first said it. guess port town is banned back in cali! :colorful:

bento what's up with you meatriding pt lately lol. not that there's anything WRONG with it!

and finally, i reiterate my point: gw would take mk's place in clearing out a lot of low/mid tier competition, sonic included. ;)

Top Bottom