• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

G. Vice

Smash Lord
just played my first tourney in a damn long time. N i need to know something in the fox matchup! If the fox has me cornered against the ledge whats the best way/time to try to get control of the center of the stage. Ledge hop waveland to roll is getting predictable.

Oh n Kage! U seem to use the aerial N-air a lot. Can u tell me why n whens a good time to use it?

Thx guys.
Versus Fox is tricky since he can shine kill you once. My advice is jab. Jab dominates, and if timed correctly can go through his NAir approach. You could always just roll from the ledge, it works if you've been wavelanding from the ledge every time and they know it's coming. Also ledge hop ~> jab/grab is a good approach as well if they attack the ledge expecting you to come up and you time it right.

Nair has its uses but it is limited. It's good if you get a grab on someone like Jiggs/Samus and follow up dthrow at like 0-percent because both kicks land(depending on DI). I find it useful when the opponent is at low percent, because depending on DI it can set up for a double jump aerial. Since it's unexpected, it also can steal their double jump which in turn leads to a free follow up hit. Kage may use it a little differently, I'm not sure.

TobiasTruth

Smash Rookie
Versus Fox is tricky since he can shine kill you once. My advice is jab. Jab dominates, and if timed correctly can go through his NAir approach. You could always just roll from the ledge, it works if you've been wavelanding from the ledge every time and they know it's coming. Also ledge hop ~> jab/grab is a good approach as well if they attack the ledge expecting you to come up and you time it right.

Nair has its uses but it is limited. It's good if you get a grab on someone like Jiggs/Samus and follow up dthrow at like 0-percent because both kicks land(depending on DI). I find it useful when the opponent is at low percent, because depending on DI it can set up for a double jump aerial. Since it's unexpected, it also can steal their double jump which in turn leads to a free follow up hit. Kage may use it a little differently, I'm not sure.
Very cool sir! Thanks! timing the jab could b tricky but i think ill be able to get that down.
What would u say is the best follow up after the jab against fox in low, mid and high percents?

Gah! it seems like Ive been using the f tilt a bit too much recently. Fast characters have been timing their approaches so they have enough time to grab afterward.

Didn't know about the Nair after down throw on Samus. Is there a reason u didn't add Marth to that list? In the tourney I went to, Nair after down throw seemed to work fine on Marth's. Maybe they didn't DI properly?

Thanks for the inf0 G.Vice! Saw your combo video too! Imma try that side b near the ledge. Haha Its risky but if lands, **** will ensue.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Very cool sir! Thanks! timing the jab could b tricky but i think ill be able to get that down.
What would u say is the best follow up after the jab against fox in low, mid and high percents?

Gah! it seems like Ive been using the f tilt a bit too much recently. Fast characters have been timing their approaches so they have enough time to grab afterward.

Didn't know about the Nair after down throw on Samus. Is there a reason u didn't add Marth to that list? In the tourney I went to, Nair after down throw seemed to work fine on Marth's. Maybe they didn't DI properly?

Thanks for the inf0 G.Vice! Saw your combo video too! Imma try that side b near the ledge. Haha Its risky but if lands, **** will ensue.
Nah, it'll work on Marth too. I've had it work on almost every character I've played, it just depends on the percent and the DI I guess.

Lol, about that side B, use with caution. It doesn't always work the way it did in the vid I promise. But honestly, I use the side B alot in certain matchups(specifically Marth) and I get alot of success out of it. Also works as a good follow up after a stomp at fairly low damage, and leads to a Bair as well. Overall, it's a good move IMO.

On a side note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ACE!! Hope it's awesome man, be safe and have a blast!

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
If anyone deserves a true spike its donkey kong. But I play falco so lol at ganon.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I want to. I work a job with extensitve traveling 2 weeks on 1 week off. I know my next job will be in virginia, but I have no idea if I will be off on that weekend. 33% chance.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord

you still play this rusty game? i'll hit you up during late december

btw, learn to crouch cancel to jab a lot against foxes when you're at lower percentages. and if they choose to approach with a short hop d-air, then just shield and tilt your shield up so they mess up their l-canceling.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
after playing some rounds with dr peepee yesterday, i have come to the conclusion that the falco matchup isn't as bad as i used to think. i think fox is definitely worse.

powershielding lasers does give ganon a lot of power in this matchup. it's falco's favorite option out of shield as long as you're out of shine region, and if you're facing his front (or he'll bair oos). if you can pressure him into shield, ps that laser back, good things can happen. if you're playing well, this scenario can happen more often than you think.

i only got about 5 matches in with him though, before me him yay and sneak played some fun teams matches. i think i should play him more next weekend though, so i can let you in on some more details then.

oh, also, idk if i posted about it or not, but i used to think there was a safe distance where if you shielded the double lasers off the edge, you could get the grab for sure. i'm questioning this now, cause idk if pp fastfalls to get the second laser lower before the shine, but i found myself getting shined before my grab. i'll put more effort into testing it out though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, I agree Fox is ultimately harder than Falco. Fox is just harder to gimp, and he gimps you more easily. And he still pressures you just as hard as Falco can. Vs Falco, it's like lol powershield -> F-air/Grab -> gimp. You just do that a few times and you win. Vs Fox generally I feel all my kills against him have to be smarter.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Fox is much worse for me because he is just so much more mobile and aggressive with melee moves. Its so much fun to be able to jump over a falco laser closing in and PS his second laser as you hit the ground and continue with the march.

If you can shut falco's laser game down you pretty much win but fox is much harder because he doesn't rely on lasers to win. Any words of wisdom to the fox matchup on getting openings and dealing with super aggressive/campy foxes?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Even if fox and falco didn't have lasers they'd still have a decent advantage on Ganon...

Fox is harder than Falco because of his speed and agility, mainly. His nair approach is so fast and effective, and shine gives a free grab. His speed/agility also allows him to mindgame a bit better overall and can get him out of sticky situations with less effort... and yes, he's harder to gimp.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falco without lasers would feel like a 50/50 matchup at worst to me. He's not that fast, and you legitimately outspace him. Plus he just dies to random bull**** so easily that for a moment it makes me feel bad for Falco like how I feel bad for Link, Roy, or some other low tier. Except then I remember Falco has lasers. Sure his D-air shine strats and his B-air edgeguard is serious business, but it's nowhere nearly as dominating as what Fox has on you, and your gimps on Falco are just easier.

Oh yes speaking of edgeguards, Falco without laser edgeguards is a lot less intimidating as well.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I say fox and falco is equally bad for Ganon. True, falco is easier to gimp, but because he does have lasers it does make getting a hit on him harder. Fox can damage you all day via laser spam, but when he needs to get that stock he still has to come within your range. Falco can play around your range all day long, and use baits to get what seems like a well spaced hit for ganon, into a laser and then a subsequent hit needed to combo.

Overall, they both have the advantage. Though I tend to agree with ACE...they are both better characters without lasers. Even though there are those I know who complain about Ganon and say there's nothing that Falco/Falcon can do vs him which is total bull...

And as far as Fox NAir approach, I promise you, JAB. Jab, jab, jab. I do it so much. And when it's timed correctly it's amazing. I had a fox main just tell me the other day how annoying it was to get jabbed out of every nair approach. So that's something for Ganon's to work on, cuz it forces fox to go for other methods.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
And if they do you can upair on reaction, Fox's dair. And also if he nairs there's also the backjump Fair which works nice too. Also I figured out a Nair overshoot from Fox can be countered by turnaround, backjump Dair.. there's an odd spacing about it which makes the Nair not hit and it will hit Fox upwards because he has landed.. it's pretty nice. Which obviously can setup to disgusting things.

DGoscar

Smash Rookie

Palpi

Smash Hero
I watched another 45 seconds..cause I am lazy. It seems like you are mindlessly grabbing alot. Many of those grabs are shield grabs...against a falco that can shield pressure well, you won't be able to get many shield grabs anyway. Many of those grabs could have been safter alternatives like a retreating bair, oos uair, or jab. Jab is often underused by some ganon players.

TobiasTruth

Smash Rookie
Bizz! how u been man! Late dec? sounds good get my aim from fiction. Ill try that shield tilt! Dude keep that ganon going. U going to Dont go there jeff?

I hear a lot of good advice over here. its gonna b hard to quit now. Thankz u insipiring Mutha***azz! :)

you still play this rusty game? i'll hit you up during late december

btw, learn to crouch cancel to jab a lot against foxes when you're at lower percentages. and if they choose to approach with a short hop d-air, then just shield and tilt your shield up so they mess up their l-canceling.

Linguini

Smash Master
IMO:

Falco is 55-45 in falco's favor. Good anti-laser strategies and simple gimp setups help out ganon in this matchup. Lasers can be a pain, but good thing you have jabs and tilts to stop nair reaction approaches.

Fox is 60-40 in fox's favor. Very winnable but a top level fox will be infinitely harder for a ganon main. Learning this matchup through fox's perspective is leagues easier than vice versa, due to his abilit to control the pace of the match. Not to mention extremely linear edgeguarding due to the slowness of ganon's recover. Just as with falco there are a ton of simple setups to get rid of fox that are to ganon's advantage.

If anyone wants me to expand on matchups or answer more specific questions go for it, i'll respond within the day most likely,because it's finals week(FUUUUUUh), but yeah

Kage just watched your vids vs mango, my training partner back in the days mained link and I know that matchup can sometimes suck for ganon if you get overwhelmed by projectiles and **** lol. Seems to me like you threw away some easy cg kills that could've won you the match. :(

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
My main training partner back in the day mained link too. I know I've said this quite a few times over the years, but if you train yourself to focus on Ganon (your character) while chaingrabbing and monitor your opponents DI with your peripheral vision, you will be able to move (dash, grab, pivot grab, jc grab, pivot jc grab, etc.) as soon as the dthrow animation ends and in the correct direction every time.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
I HATE fighting Link. Remember you can hit his boomerang and catch his bombs. He edgeguard on Ganon is too good.
Kage, you let Mango's Link recover too much! You could have easily jumped out there and f***ed him up with Uair. Your Ganon is still beast man! I'm really glad we've got some new footage of a great Ganon main.

I can only hope I don't choke at Pound 5. All the people down here who beat me in tournament are people who I wreck under any other circumstance. I just crack cuz of all the distractions. Anyone have tips on how to help me with that? I mean....legal tips, lol?

DippnDots

Feral Youth
hookers to.. oh, legal.

Do the waterboy technique where when you look at them and using your imagination, change their head to a the face of a baby. Really makes them less intimidating.

Linguini

Smash Master
Dunno, realistically i'm aiming for top 10 or better. I got all my matchups down pretty solid now and I recently discovered aloooot of ****. Unreleased combo's and **** soon to be revealed.

Gonna be looking like that dude^^^^

TobiasTruth

Smash Rookie
Linguini, ur falco machup is damn good to say the least! What would say are the most common mistakes u see Ganons do when trying to avoiding laser approaches?

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
Linguini, ur falco machup is damn good to say the least! What would say are the most common mistakes u see Ganons do when trying to avoiding laser approaches?
I know you didn't ask me, but I would say that getting hit by lasers is the most common mistake...of course

If he can't hit you with his lasers, he's gonna start using them less which will make the matchup easier. If you are gonna shield a laser, ASDI away to f*** up falco's spacing. After doing so, full hop Uair out of shield is ****. Also, after shielding his approaching laser you can sometimes get a quick WD out of shield away from falco just before he reaches you which can get you a free hit.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Damn that was fast! thx Pawls to the Wall!
lol Getting around Falco's lasering is alot harder than it sounds, but Clue did touch down on the practical uses of zoning. Alot of Ganons vs spacies seem to have this mentality to always approach with fair. His jabs, tilts and grabs ARE much more effective. (Not saying that fair is entirely useless for closing in gaps, but it shouldn't be the only motive going into the match) Using is uair is faster, safer and provides just about the same knockback as the fair, the same with retreating bairs. As far as grabs, Ganon has a ton of follow-ups. Try using them. Techchasing from d-throws or using tilts at mid to high percents; Uthrow to bair at really high percents etc. Just to name a few. Watch this set to get an idea on how to approach most spacies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uleY7o5Pkn8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAmzArs8XF4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhiRYAP8d7A&feature=related

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think us ganon's should do dair>usmash 99% of the time against FFers. I killed fox on DL at 50%ish starting combo but he was somewhere in the 85%ish after the usmash. Even if you don't hit with the up one cause their % is too low, the crotch box is much more powerful than any air followup.

Top Bottom