• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, since we established that its easy for sheik to get low enough to evade a bunch of your crucial ground moves, is it safe to say that you are better off getting hit instead of shielding?

Also, I just wanted to mention that I found out that the 4th port is the best to be in as far as positional advantage at the start of the match and I always plug in there. I think its pretty important that you start the match in a non threatening position (aka NOT the platform above the grounded opponent)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
...u like starting above? Finding ways down against marth and sheik can be one of the hardest things in my opinion. Getting opponents above is always nice, and port usage to start that effect can be powerful.

why would getting hit be good? Getting hit by sheik sucks...

kupo15

Smash Hero
...u like starting above? Finding ways down against marth and sheik can be one of the hardest things in my opinion. Getting opponents above is always nice, and port usage to start that effect can be powerful.

why would getting hit be good? Getting hit by sheik sucks...
Lol I can see how that might have been read wrong. I meant to say that starting the platform above is the threatening position. I edited it.

Also, if you are on the ground and sheik is swinging away, I hardly know what the best thing you can do when you are locked down in your shield. At least CCing will push you away with all your options intact

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
if she's spacing ftilts, i'd probably roll. i guess it depends what kind of percent you're at, but maybe if you're at low percent, you can drop your shield, start crouching, and maybe trade an ftilt for a dtilt. but i feel like generally, if you get hit by one ftilt, youre in line for 2 more ftilts, and utilt, an uair, and a fair, and an edgeguard. maybe that's just my personal roadblock of sheik talking, but getting hit usually leads to really bad things for me.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The key is DI'ing the first ftilt away (or up and away) if you can't avoid being hit (it happens vs sheik) so she can't string together those disgustingly easy and effective tilt combos. If she is "swinging away" with ftilts close up, you can wd back oos followed by a quick retreating sh uair (or fair in some cases) to challenge her if she reads your retreat and comes in hard. I really like retreating sh uair as a defensive maneuver as it's fast, gives you space, and doesn't narrow down your options all that much (you can dj afterwards). You can also roll as chris said, just don't get predictable with it.

Random: this is very situational and kinda risky but dead sexy: on YS you can sh uair and waveland afterward. Same short hop. You just have to start your jump anywhere on the middle section of the stage and land right beside the edge (where it is lower). Same concept as KJ64 but you have to be very precise. One thing's for sure, it'll surprise anyone.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely be going to Pound 5. I already bought my plane ticket. Anyone else? I'll probably get a shirt with my name if you wanna play me.

Regarding starting positional advantage, I really think it should be a rule that both players go to opposite sides of the stage before starting.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm def gonna go and rep it up again. I'm so ****ing pissed at my RoM 3 performance even if I lost to both best players in the world. Must do better!!!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i thought we all knew after rom2.

granted, it had been a while before he had beaten hbox. lost rom2, lost at pound 4?, lost at CEO, won at herb 3, lost at TO6, won here at rom3.

it'll be interesting to see how things go at pound 5.

but it doesn't really matter what pp does, cuz i'm winning it all.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's just the improvement between Tipped Off 4 and now.. wtf.. I might of had a chance back then and maybe a small one at RoM 2 but now.. it's impossible with the current me.

How in the hell am I gonna have to train or improve to reach those top ****ers.. mmmm...

bliu12

Smash Apprentice
so apparently hbox is coming to SWEET IV (a MI tourney) so i was wondering if anyone had any advice against puffs. i doubt ill get to play him in tournament but friendlys are always good

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
so apparently hbox is coming to SWEET IV (a MI tourney) so i was wondering if anyone had any advice against puffs. i doubt ill get to play him in tournament but friendlys are always good
SPACING is sooo important in this matchup. If you f*** up once she can kill you. If you do get hit without crouch canceling, make sure you DI away or get comboed horribly. You'll want to try to kill her vertically when possilbe, so if she whiffs, you'll want to try to punish with fsmash or the second hit of dsmash.

What I like to do is dash dance precariously close to get her to whiff, then I dash dance away and pivot fsmash. She dies really early from this. Of course, if you miss you are f***ed. Here's a vid where I did it for the win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t64fhAAMIxI#t=3m24s

Bair is my best friend for keeping Jiggz at bay, but I know that antihopping Uairs are supposed to be really good; probably better than Bair. Just haven't gotten to try it yet.

Depending on DI, dthrow Usmash could kill

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If you miss a fsmash you WILL be rested. Using fsmash other than when jiggs misses a rest or gets her shield broken is VERY risky and very situational. But yes, it does kill early.

Bair and uair are your best friends. If fair isn't FULLY spaced, you're essentially giving her a free hit. Up-angled ftilt is also god at keeping her at bay if you use it sparingly. Try your absolute best not to be predictable in this matchup. Dash-dance, pivot away to forward wd, backward wd, and perfect wavelands will help you get the space you need and keep her guessing, which is imperative. If you get a grab, you almost always want to dthrow. You can buffer dthrow by holding c-down mid grab, which is your best bet for getting the throw off before they DI. At mid/high% you can fair after a dthrow but you MUST space it or you can get rested. The jump (sh fair at mid% and fj fair at high%) and fair must be at least close to frame perfect to connect so stay focused and don't waste any time. You can also dair out of dthrow at mid% when you know fair won't kill to add damage and force a tech. Just remember to space the dair as best you can.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
If you miss a fsmash you WILL be rested. Using fsmash other than when jiggs misses a rest or gets her shield broken is VERY risky and very situational. But yes, it does kill early.
Doing any move at the wrong time WILL get you rested. That's why I said "if you miss you are f***ed." So don't miss. Don't just randomly throw fsmashes out. Just like everything else in this game, you have to use it at the right time. You have to get her to whiff. 30% of my kills against jiggz probably come from fsmash and I have yet to be rested out of it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You have to get her to whiff. 30% of my kills against jiggz probably come from fsmash and I have yet to be rested out of it.
She would have to whiff a pound or something with some decent cooldown time, and even then you almost have to read the whiff. 30% of kills coming from fsmash is something you'll basically never see at high level play. Speaking of cooldown time, the fsmash has a TON. If you've never been rested out of any missed fsmashes, the jiggs needs to step it up. you can miss lots of well-spaced moves and never get rested. Fsmash is not one of them.

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
If she's on less than 15%, don't make the mistake of u-tilt, do a D-air and follow up with an aerial (or u-smash? not sure if that works though). It deals more damage, and you aren't gonna kill her in 1 move anyway.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Good point swizzy. Best low% rest punish is 2 dairs to techchase. On the 2nd stomp, if you let go of jump as soon as you know you will full jump and dair immediately, you can dj again and get a third dair if she techs in place, or you can fair/bair her if she rolls. If she is over 20% fire up the utilt.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Subscribed.

Good stuff going on in here. I gotta do alot of readings and stuff to catch up on what's up. Didn't know this thread existed, thanks for steering me on it ACE.

Ain't posted a link in here, but here's my Ganon combo vid. ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt1Hd8PfwVs

You guys if you can hype it, it's in the running for combo vid of 2010 and it needs all the help it can get lol. Thanks! Comment/Critiques welcome.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol Zane, how you missed this thread us beyond me. Guys, be on the lookout for DEVOUR II when it comes out. I know it will be sick. DEVOUR is the best ganon combo video ever and G Vice is without a doubt top 5 best ganon mains currently.

TobiasTruth

Smash Rookie
just played my first tourney in a damn long time. N i need to know something in the fox matchup! If the fox has me cornered against the ledge whats the best way/time to try to get control of the center of the stage. Ledge hop waveland to roll is getting predictable.

Oh n Kage! U seem to use the aerial N-air a lot. Can u tell me why n whens a good time to use it?

Thx guys.

Top Bottom