• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

kupo15

Smash Hero
Can you elaborate? What happened exactly?
Oh it was pretty epic. I just survived an amazing reverse nair at like 180% or something on FD and was coming back, I did the down b recovery thing, up b'd and did a walljump tech off the dsmash into an up b which sent her away pretty far but not far enough to safely up b a second time so I tried to do a super sweetspot but missed the ledge. If I hit her with the bair instead then she might have died or at the very least been far enough so that I wasn't pressured to sweetspot that second up b.

lol kage, I guess you missed that thread and why that sig is lulz worthy.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Kupo, I see what you mean now. Yeah bair has better knockback which is why I said it's a good mixup if you don't think they are ready to dsmash you correctly. Just remember that if they catch on you won't be able to walltech into anything.

Tigger, you've really got to get your ganon as fast and fluid as possible against jiggs. You have to get a good read almost every time you hit a good jiggs, and you have to keep your space and keep her guessing if you want to accomplish that. Dash-dancing and full-length wavedashes/wavelands will increase your speed and can help you make yourself less predictable. The last thing you want is to be a sitting duck. bair and uair are your best aerials against her. Your best bet at competing with her bair is to space your own bair against hers, and you have to be quick in order to have enough space. Linguini is the best at this matchup so maybe he can tell you some helpful stuff.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
a puff who knows anything will not pound anywhere nearby.

they will fair. And then nothing good will happen for ganon, depending on percents.

kupo15

Smash Hero
a puff who knows anything will not pound anywhere nearby.

they will fair. And then nothing good will happen for ganon, depending on percents.
Rising pound off stage. It has a lot more lag than you think and ganon's fair has more range than you think. If you predict the pound, going out there with a fair should work depending
Yeah kupo, up angled ftilt is good against jiggs.
Yeah, its a perfect height for their FJ approach.

I've played some good puffs but unless I realllly haven't played any good ones, I'm not too afraid of the matchup. I'm more scared of fox

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Rising pound off stage. It has a lot more lag than you think and ganon's fair has more range than you think. If you predict the pound, going out there with a fair should work depending

Yeah, its a perfect height for their FJ approach.

I've played some good puffs but unless I realllly haven't played any good ones, I'm not too afraid of the matchup. I'm more scared of fox
I've never seen a good puff let himself open off stage like that. Do you realize how risky it is to chase after Jigglypuff off-stage. He can just grab the edge before you have time to do a fair, and then whoops.. Ganon dies lol.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol yea, if you miss your dead. But who expects ganon to do such stupid offstageness against puff? Its the surprise!!!! haha

I would like to play a pro puff. Maybe I'll see Darc at the next tourney.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i've got some good vids coming up eventually at my tournament in VA this past weekend.

went 3-2 placed ninth, and played quite well overall.

lost to redd (marth) and sneak (falco). redd wasn't close or recorded, but the set with sneak was good, and i look forward to those vids being up.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Cant wait to see those vids.

I just thought of a way to land the Neutral B. The best chance to land it is against Peach when she is at the ledge. Because her DJ sucks for ledge hopping, she will either roll or get up from the ledge more often than most chars. If you see her startinig the ledge roll past 100%, then the neutral b will connect.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
for most characters, the looks of a ledge roll and a ledge stand are exactly the same until they actually...roll.

but ur thinking, and i approve.

i broke peaches shield with their own mr saturn at that tourney yesterday in a mm. got dat utilt.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea thats true. But with peach, the roll animation she does a little kick thing, but the stand animation, she actually slightly pulls herself up. And it sucks how the punch does literally nothing to shields.

I lost my MM to peach because I somehow always released the dsmash in this situation too soon and missed but this punch method for rolls has no timing except for the set up.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If peach ledgerolls above 100 just stomp her, or grab and dthrow to fair/bair if she's above 110 or so. I say go for the guaranteed kill. Style points are awesome but let's face it, warlock punch is not an easy one to land on an opponent that isn't temporarily paralyzed.

Chris that's great, I can't wait to see those vids. Glad you played well buddy (No more 2-2's for you! haha).

kupo15

Smash Hero
The ledgeroll makes peach temp paralyzed and is a guarantee. There is so much you can do to peach on the ledge it isn't even funny

spider_sense

Smash Champion
i've got some good vids coming up eventually at my tournament in VA this past weekend.

went 3-2 placed ninth, and played quite well overall.

lost to redd (marth) and sneak (falco). redd wasn't close or recorded, but the set with sneak was good, and i look forward to those vids being up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3hhToGNjA&feature=feedu

didn't warlock punch a peach...but as you'll see, some other goodness happened in the mm.

this was also later into the night (no johns, but yeah, it was 11 pm and we woke up at 730 for the ride...), my ganon is better than this, as you'll see when matt uploads his vids of my tourney sets.
Guys make sure you post em on the Ganon video thread. Let's get that place started!

kupo15

Smash Hero
That was pretty good. That peach didn't seem that good which I guess makes sense since he is quitting melee and going to brawl. But in the future, you need to be hitting all the ledge techs when returning against peach.

Also here is a cool combo that you had the opp for. At 0%-very low %, dair>both hits of Usmash combo 61%

I forgot to mention that the ledge roll punch thing I mentioned earlier works for ALL characters past 100%. I just mentioned peach because she is the one that will most likely use that option.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah...it was really odd to me that i wasn't hitting them. i've teched things like tipped and nontipped marth dtilts, falcons knee, both weak and electric, falcon utilts, and marth neutral B's like its not a problem (well...cept the nontipped marth dtilt. that ones tough...). teching peach's bair is usually never a problem at all, but i somehow missed all of those.

'twas disappointing, as i wanted to end one of his stocks with a techjump bair, as we've been discussing in this thread.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
I posted a vid in the ganon vid archive. I learned the matchup as I played the set.

eventually, I just bair.

I lost the first game, and won the second two.

I honestly think that you primarily bair.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Dots is right. The goal is to completely smother Link as soon as you get a chance to get inside. The best opener at low% is dair > grab > dthrow X1000 but you won't get that opportunity very often so be patient and wait until the time is right. spaced bair and uair work well on his recovery.

edit: my bad mooney, haha

kupo15

Smash Hero
I want to share that an interesting approach opp against camping foxes are the Full jump>uair at the last possible second w/o FF. That catches them off guard and if you miss short, you can jab.

Also, is jab cancels to the back of the shield unpunishable?

DippnDots

Feral Youth
shine oos but against a fox, unless you're under a platform, you won't get hit by more than the shine. Depends on the spacing really, if you hit him with the tip then its pretty safe, i cant think of anything he'll do. General rule of thumb when you catch people with jab shield pressure when they don't expect it, they'll try to get out of it after the second or third jab. It usually seems to be the second for people i play against ;)

Linguini

Smash Master
shine oos but against a fox, unless you're under a platform, you won't get hit by more than the shine. Depends on the spacing really, if you hit him with the tip then its pretty safe, i cant think of anything he'll do. General rule of thumb when you catch people with jab shield pressure when they don't expect it, they'll try to get out of it after the second or third jab. It usually seems to be the second for people i play against ;)

That's why you gotta grab after jab shield pressure(sometimes).

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
what's the best way to ledge hop uair?
I can inconsistently press back on the c-stick and then tap jump uair onto the ledge, or i can press back on the control stick and then jump and forward and then press up on the c-stick.
Is there a better way, or is the method just preference?

Daniel_the_Seraph

Smash Ace
what's the best way to ledge hop uair?
I can inconsistently press back on the c-stick and then tap jump uair onto the ledge, or i can press back on the control stick and then jump and forward and then press up on the c-stick.
Is there a better way, or is the method just preference?
cstick down->control stick up works for me usually

random thought: Jiggz vs Ganon is 65-35

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
cstick down->control stick up works for me usually

random thought: Jiggz vs Ganon is 65-35
I see, i'll try that thanks.

Hmm.. it's probably 55-45 Jiggs. Also an upair from the ledge is risky, an good opponent will easily read it and simply counter-attack it.
I'm thinking more for edgeguarding. Maybe ur against a marth and he sees u jump up and upbs right away, u might catch him with uair. Against fox/falco it covers more options that just ledge hogging.

Top Bottom