• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
There's also not any evidence of any ganons asides from magus really trying to learn to chaingrab...
(and use it to it's maximum benefit at all times)
This. I gotta say, that zero (or low %) to death chain grab on spacies could really change everything and make a ****ty matchup not so ****ty. I still personally hate fd especially since I suck at chain grabbing, except I do like it vs marth for some reason... Maybe cuz I haven't played pp or mew2king

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I just always ban FD because **** that stage. I always feel like a big slow oaf stuck in the middle of a giant pasture with ****ing Flash running laps around me. I'll even ragequit it when it comes up in friendlies.

I'm that guy

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You can chain grab marth?? O_o
You can regrab from 0 and you could get lucky and get a 2nd one (Lucky meaning bad DI from opponent). Generally its much better to keep Marth above you so thats why I recommend Nair in this matchup after downthrow. Its pretty hard to punish Marth from the ground when he hasnt committed so id keep him in the air in combos or platforms as much as possible. It sucks to try to keep guessing while he's DDing and ****.

Jockmaster, thats how it feels when you play vs Falcon on FD.. you are trying to hit him but you cant, he just does moves to you and freely combos you then you die. If Falcon plays this right, he can nearly perfect you pretty easily every single time no matter what you try to change up.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
w
You can chain grab marth?? O_o
you misread lol, I like to fight marth on fd, nothing to do with chain grabs, but now that you mention it, yea you can get a second grab at zero! Cool bit about marths who like to immediately counter out of a grab: warlock punch that ****. Although wouldn't recommend that in tournament.

renth, how's evo looking for you? I know I've asked you this probably ~1000 times, but needs more ganon. Ian is confirmed, you know

and what kage said about Nair, especially in v1.0, easy percent and almost always leads to a tech chase/free uair or even fair

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Jockmaster, thats how it feels when you play vs Falcon on FD.. you are trying to hit him but you cant, he just does moves to you and freely combos you then you die. If Falcon plays this right, he can nearly perfect you pretty easily every single time no matter what you try to change up.
Oh man this is so true, I was playing friendlies with a Ganon at the last tournament I went to, and I was bored so I was just using random high tiers. I went Falcon one match and it went to FD and I 2 stocked him. I decided to stay Falcon for a bit and got 2 or 3 stocked in each of the next 3 matches on non-FD stages.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It really doesn't.. if FD has room to space yourself, it just means that a faster character has more room to work with than you, its a suicidal pick as a CP.

Dude you can't argue that chaingrabbing doesn't make Ganon better on FD. Don't hate on it just cause you haven't put in the time to get good at it yet. With some practice you could be grabbing fox/falco at 70% and taking the stock 100% guaranteed. think about it.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
at one point i understood why linguini took falco to FD. i think i still might.

the rest of the high tiers aren't worth it. simplifying those matchups to their barebones doesn't do us any good.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it would change ganon's world, but it would undoubtedly help (Does pika's cg help her vs fox on FD?). It's the next major step in making ganon more of a tourney threat but it's too hard so no one pursues it. FD gives you plenty of room to run and space, if your opponent ever slips up you can grab, and when you can turn a grab into a stock, ganon is still a threat. People should opt for guaranteed damage over gambling on a techchase sometimes (situations where you can cover multiple options are different).
The CG is not that hard...I've been working on it for a while now. I'd say in another year or so I'll be able to do it nearly 95% of the time. When I do get it I get it from 12% on Falco or 35% on Fox. I go for the lowest possible level for the CG. I've done it in tournament as well--but my opponents weren't the best, but their DI wasn't garbage. It's just hard catching the cues on the DI. I studied Magus' tech-chasing guide like a bible, so I visually can tell when they DI behind me by the way they pop up as he's still reseting into neutral, then I grab from there. My timing is the biggest issue with it--and with everything in this game. I can react to it but my timings off sometimes. Kage does seriously underestimate the usefulness of the chaingrab--but FD is still ******** for us. We can't win there. You bein' silly.

Use C-stick down for the throws and then smash an input for the regrab. It's not that hard...but it's pretty difficult anyway.

And I'm pretty sure Marth is guaranteed from 0-14% or so...so two grabs or even three should go off with good DI or not. Kage, you really should try to perfect the chaingrab and some other stuff--maybe shielddropping. Keep adding to your Ganon until that thing is a technical monstrosity. Otherwise, I'll try and do it. ;D I want to at least see one Ganon do everything.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If you don't pummel marth and dthrow him at 0%, yes you get 2 regrabs. If you pummel him even once only one regrab is guaranteed.

Why is the Peach matchup so bad on FD? Jiggs, pikachu, the marios?

Superspright

Smash Lord
Against Peach? I love you Ace, but...come on! Turnips dude...and she can carry the stage anywhere (floats). Jiggs is obvious too. No air mobility versus her because we have no platforms to run away or position ourselves with. She can just harass and poke safely--its a battle of attrition that we don't win.

Pikachu I've never played a good one really--no idea...marios? Luigi is okay anywhere to fight...fair all day and he can't do a damn thing about it. No shield grabs allowed--Mario I don't know. But it's just always worse on that stage...projectiles get really good, and Ganon gets considerably slower--he gains like one or two combos that he can't normally do because of platforms, but platforms give him more follow-ups than FD ever will. The chaingrab is obviously super viable on FD, but so is Sheik's and good luck getting the grab.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I do CG Sheik, Pika as well but that's about it, if you want me to learn CG then I'd need to play x10 more than I am currently which isnt happening. It's just that getting a grab with Ganon doesn't happen very often at least with the players I play with. I probably only beat Bam on FD 10 times on 10000 at least not even exaggerating because you cant grab him, Idk howtf you would play vs him on that stage.. I dont think any Ganon can beat him nor Vwins.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Against Peach? I love you Ace, but...come on! Turnips dude...and she can carry the stage anywhere (floats). Jiggs is obvious too. No air mobility versus her because we have no platforms to run away or position ourselves with. She can just harass and poke safely--its a battle of attrition that we don't win.
It's so easy to catch turnips... and Ganon has lots of options and time for spacing... it's not like peach is twice as fast as Ganon. And I know Ganon doesn't beat jiggs on any map lol, and I don't think FD is the best stage for the matchup (I just don't think FD should be written off as ****ty altogether), but techchasing Ganon on a platform with rest is too easy. Ganon's platform work doesn't help as much vs Jiggs compared to other characters.

Pikachu I've never played a good one really--no idea...marios? Luigi is okay anywhere to fight...fair all day and he can't do a damn thing about it. No shield grabs allowed--Mario I don't know. But it's just always worse on that stage...projectiles get really good, and Ganon gets considerably slower--he gains like one or two combos that he can't normally do because of platforms, but platforms give him more follow-ups than FD ever will. The chaingrab is obviously super viable on FD, but so is Sheik's and good luck getting the grab.
I didn't say luigi, I think his wd on FD makes gives him more opportunities to control the stage compared to platform stages. Ganon has a decent cg on pikachu, if you aren't flubbing edgeguards it's doable. The marios basically run even with Ganon also, nullifying pills with tilts/aerials is super easy, and fireballs aren't that big of a problem imo. As far as sheik, yeah it's a really tough matchup, but if you're turning a grab into a stock, you at least have a chance if you can get in your opponents head a bit.

Well I do CG Sheik, Pika as well but that's about it, if you want me to learn CG then I'd need to play x10 more than I am currently which isnt happening. It's just that getting a grab with Ganon doesn't happen very often at least with the players I play with. I probably only beat Bam on FD 10 times on 10000 at least not even exaggerating because you cant grab him, Idk howtf you would play vs him on that stage.. I dont think any Ganon can beat him nor Vwins.
"The people you play with" I hear you man, but I'm willing to bet Linguini grabs PP more often than you grab BAM. There is room for improvement. It's hard to judge a matchup off your training partner. I know you guys are very familiar with each other's styles. Also, I think you are overestimating how long it would take you to get decent at chaingrabbing. You're a great player and I think you'd get the hang of it rather quickly.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Probably but like I said, motivation and time are issues here. Id rather play SF4 honestly now lol. People are amazing here and definitely very very active, they play everyday online almost.. so ill go where the activeness is.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I get 1 or 2 frames with others on the EC with myself. It's not much different for people on the WC either, maaaybe 3 frames. Hell, I can usually get less than 6 frames (which I think is the standard of Brawl Wifi) with someone all the way in Holland.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo, what bertbusdriver said. You literally just made me super hyped for online play... That way I can play the likes of bertbusdriver again!

And kage, its recommended that you play people around your area to minimize frame lag, etc. Idk how close the Canadian greats live to you. Now, if you ever wanted to play a scrub, I'm your guy!

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I recommend the Mayflash 2 GC to USB adapter. It's the one I use, and t works flawlessly. The only initial problem was the sticks being too sensitive and making get inputs I didn't want, but luckily, Dolphin has a dead zone fix for each.

Ok but who in the top players plays online? I want to play some beasts.
As more people join, more pros show up. I do know that we have a top Brawl player in EU, and I know a guy in Arkansas who mopped the floor with me when I finally got to play with him like two days ago. So it's already pretty solid, despite being a fairly small community, but it's only going to get better, and every person counts!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yo, what bertbusdriver said. You literally just made me super hyped for online play... That way I can play the likes of bertbusdriver again!

And kage, its recommended that you play people around your area to minimize frame lag, etc. Idk how close the Canadian greats live to you. Now, if you ever wanted to play a scrub, I'm your guy!
I usually play vs players in the states for SF and the lag is still minimal.. Can't smash have that too?

Perhaps eventually, but I have to get an adapter first. I think my friend can make me one. =P

I recommend the Mayflash 2 GC to USB adapter. It's the one I use, and t works flawlessly. The only initial problem was the sticks being too sensitive and making get inputs I didn't want, but luckily, Dolphin has a dead zone fix for each.

As more people join, more pros show up. I do know that we have a top Brawl player in EU, and I know a guy in Arkansas who mopped the floor with me when I finally got to play with him like two days ago. So it's already pretty solid, despite being a fairly small community, but it's only going to get better, and every person counts!
Ya.. I guess its a matter of time really when i try this out.

As for CG Ace, im still personally against it, i dont give a ****. Its not the way I want to play this game, Sheik is the only one worthy of it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Only sheik is worthy of it? I bet a few matches against armada's yl might change your mind. I can see you're set in your ways but that doesn't mean it's a great tool if you're playing to win.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well if anyone else wants to do it, fine by me but I cant do it, it feels wrong to win that way. I dont feel like ive fought a battle. I play to have fun in my own way, theres no point for me to play otherwise it's too boring. Armada doesnt play so no worries there. Like I said before, time and motivation to improve isnt there anymore, people change, stuff happens. If anyone wants to surpass me, now's the time, i dont really care.

Top Bottom