• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Show No Sympathy: The Community Ike Guide

-Stark-

Smash Rookie
NNID
Raul07
Hello everyone:

This is my first post, so hope you guys like it

This is an ike guide i did, this includes how much percent the attacks of ike inflicts
how to perform some advanced moves and some convos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8Vz_NFJIg

Some MU videos

vs Ice Climbers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWjzOi4nqZ0
vs Wolf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4i9TeNfMg
vs Snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGns4UWJdJw

Thanks to San for the invitation to this Forum
Hope you guys like it

-Stark-

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, no problem. I invited some people from AiB who wish to help. I'm sure there are some out there who want to =) I figured they should know about this, especially since AiB lacks a comprehensive Ike guide.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
We don't take kindly to AIB folk around here...

:ike:

Also, while we're at it maybe a section on Ike in teams would be good too since that's one of his strengths. Having a section for all his good teammates would be interesting, like MK for example. Ike can easily upair people out of MK's upthrow or tornado(if there are platforms so Ike can get up there), or fsmash out of MK's dthrow. MK saves Ike from gimps and offers a lot of stage control to compliment Ike's playstyle. You know, stuff like that. I might contribute a bit to it later since doubles is kinda my favorite Brawl mode.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Great, when I invited you guys, you (AiB people) shot me down like I was some troll, but when San does it, you guys wag your tails and follow suit.

Anyways, I've seen that video before, I like the concept, and some of the things you present in it. It's good for beginners for sure, but there are some things that bother me.

1. When you get to talking about jabs, you say "What combos can jabs lead to?" at 3:30, and all the stuff you demonstrate are not combos, let alone easy to connect. I mean, jab, jab to D-air? I don't think that has ever worked in the history of brawl.

2. Your tips on the special moves show some things that are a bit out there, and not easily known (quick dash slide to "X" move). I know you demonstrate it, but there's no explanation behind it. I guess they could look up the guide or ask in Ashu's for it, but I just found it a bit annoying. Also, I didn't like how you demonstrated aether. If there's one thing we rarely do in a match, it's aether on stage.

3. Spelling errors. I know it's minor, but it's annoying to see. In the beginning I read something along the lines of "Ike requires patients" which is the wrong way to say it. When you are demonstrating smashes, you say F-smash can be done with C-stick Up.

4. Overall explanations are a bit lacking. Like when you do a reverse hyphen up-smash. I mean, to a noob, there's no rhyme or reason to why it's done. You gotta explain that or not put it in the video at all.

Other then that, I think it's a great vid. You can always add youtube annotations or descriptions in the detail section to explain something, but I'll leave it up to the rest of the guys to decide if it's worthy to be put up.

Edit: San, I agree with you on the fact they can help us, and we can help them. AiB itself has no Ike guide, and this would be great for them. However, like most of the SWF Ikes, I'm just not on agreement with most of the antics they run and the beliefs they share. It's one thing to constantly see chatter about "MA BOY ABE!" every other post in their Legion of Ike group, but it's another if they feel like they are the ****, because they do good on wifi.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
jab 1 > jab 1 > dair has happened quite a lot in history....

A walk off dair that is (didn't look at video)

I'm sure you mean onstage and jumping to dair which would make me say why the hell would someone leave themselves open for 18 frames of doing nothing to eat that...

Meneil

Smash Apprentice
I'll start working on the Defense part... just going in order due to lack of imagination, I'll post whatever I finish. Also I'll sort through some videos of both singles and teams that might be helpful, most of my uploaded videos are from offline tournaments.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Ike's Moveset Analysis
Written by Nysyarc

Here you will find basic information, general strategy and ratings for every attack in Ike's moveset. All credit goes to Kirk for frame data and the hitbox visuals. His thread, Ike Data Compilation, made much of this possible, and you can refer to it for more in-depth arithmetical data on Ike's moves.

Each move has been given a rating out of 5, represented by Ike heads. If a move was given 5 Ike heads, it is one of Ike's best moves, while if it was given only 1 Ike head, it is one of his worst moves. Here is a general guideline to follow when using the rating system to determine a move's viability in competition:

:ike::ike::ike::ike::ike: = An excellent move, it should be used very frequently.
:ike::ike::ike::ike: = A good move that can be used often but not without caution.
:ike::ike::ike: = An average move that is situational but great at specific things.
:ike::ike: = An inflexible move that should not be used often; very situational.
:ike: = There is always a better option than this move, never use it.

~~~~~ Basic Attacks ~~~~~

Jab 1

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]
[/collapse]

Rating: :ike::ike::ike::ike::ike:
Hits on Frames 3-4
Ends on Frame 17
Damage: 4%

This is one of the most central moves to Ike’s entire existence. The Jab 1, or the first hit of Ike’s neutral A combo on the ground, is a fast and effective way to lead into many other attacks and set up different situations. It can be canceled into many different moves (more information on Jab Canceling further down in the guide), or simply strung into the second and third hits of the Jab combo for a good amount of damage.

You should be using Jab very often during a match against any other character in the game. Use it out of shield to punish whiffed attacks, or use it while on the offense to lead into other moves. Use it to punish air-dodges, rolls, spot-dodges, and to interrupt slow attacks. Jab can also clank with many projectiles. All the uses of the Jab combo will be gone over in much greater detail in a later section of the guide.

Jab 2

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]
[/collapse]

Rating: :ike::ike::ike::ike:
Hits on Frames 3-4
Ends on Frame 20
Damage: 5%

The second hit of Ike’s grounded neutral A combo is slightly less useful than the first when you consider that it can’t be used first and that it cannot be interrupted as early. Still arguably the best and certainly the easiest follow-up to the first Jab, it can string into the third Jab, be canceled back into the first Jab, or strung into other attacks. Jab 2 has more horizontal range than Jab 1, and so it can be used for spacing while on the ground to some extent, since it can be ended early and is relatively safe.

Jab 3

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]

[/collapse]

Hits on Frames 10-14
Ends on Frame 38
Damage: 7%

The third Jab is usually a guaranteed follow-up to the second, which makes Jab 1 to Jab 2 to Jab 3 a very safe and effective three-hit combo at any percent and against any character. Jab 3 has a lingering hitbox after Ike swings the sword, which has some use in punishing spot-dodges, but you should not use Jab 3 if you missed the opponent with Jab 1 and 2, because Jab 3 takes longer to end and so you will be more vulnerable.

Jab 3 is powerful enough that it is possible to KO with it at very high percents, or at least to get your opponents far enough off-stage to set up for an edge-guard. Following up your Jab 1 and Jab 2 with other moves like Up Tilt is a better idea for KOing at high percents, but ending with Jab 3 is good for racking damage early on.

Dash Attack

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]
[/collapse]

Rating: :ike::ike::ike:
Hits on Frames 18-19
End on Frame 51
Damage: 7-8%

Ike’s Dash Attack (or DA) is a move that definitely has it’s uses, but should not be used excessively. DA does not do too much damage on it’s own, but can be used as a follow-up to different attacks (see the section on following up Ike’s throws). The hitbox closer to the tip of Ike’s sword deals 1% more damage than those closer to Ike, but it really doesn’t make too much difference.

DA has a lot of horizontal range, and since the beginning of the animation looks like Ike’s dash, it can sometimes fool opponents. You should not be using DA as an approach however, because it is easily blocked and punished. You can use DA to punish opponents who are rolling away from you, or performing a laggy action far across the stage (using a slow projectile like Pikmin throw for example).

It is also sometimes a good idea to hit opponent’s trying to recover with DA if the opportunity presents itself, because it will send them at a good angle off-stage and allow you to have a better shot at edge-guarding effectively. Take some time to get used to how far Ike moves forward when using DA and accustom yourself to where and how soon the hitbox comes out, so you will be able to better utilize it in different situations.

~~~~~ Tilt Attacks ~~~~~

Forward Tilt

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]No angle:

Angled up:

Angled down:
[/collapse]

Rating: :ike::ike::ike:
Hits on Frames 17-19
Ends on Frame 55
Damage: 12-15%

Forward Tilt (or Ftilt) is a strong KO move at higher percents if you can make a read and space it well, but otherwise it does not have too many practical uses. It’s damage drops considerably if you hit your opponent near Ike’s waist, doing only 12% compared to 15% if you hit with the tip or middle section of the sword. Ftilt is too slow of a move and certainly takes too long to end for it to be a viable damage-racking move.

Some particular scenarios where Ftilt will work is if you can bait your opponent into air-dodging or poorly spacing an aerial while coming back to the stage. If you retreat a bit and then turn and Ftilt, it is fast enough that it can catch an opponent after such an action and even if it doesn’t KO them, put them in a bad position off stage. Mostly though, you should not be using Ftilt until your opponent is at 80-110% based on how heavy they are, since it’s only real purpose is as a KO move.

Up Tilt

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]

Note: This only roughly shows the entire area that Utilt affects. The first image shows Frame 1 of the hitbox (Frame 13 of the animation), but the hitbox lingers in the position of the third image for about 12 frames.[/collapse]

Hits on Frames 13-29
Ends on Frame 50
Damage: 9-12%

Ike’s Up Tilt (or Utilt) is an excellent move all around in a lot of situations. The hitbox stays out for a long time, making the move fairly safe considering it also ends earlier than Ike’s other tilt attacks. It’s hitbox forms a protective square all around Ike, starting at his feet and rising over him to reach above platforms on stages like Battlefield. Utilt does 12% damage if you hit with the sword initially, but only 10% if you hit once the hitbox has reached it’s peak, and 9% if you hit with the hilt.

The lingering hitbox up high makes this move great for punishing things like rolls and spot dodges on a platform above you, and also air-dodges over your head. Utilt is powerful enough to KO relatively early if it’s fresh, usually just over 100% for the majority of the cast. On top of all that, it also comes out quite fast, with the earliest hitbox appearing after just 13 frames.

You can use Utilt as a follow up to moves like Neutral Aerial and Jab 1 at low percents to help rack damage, or keep it fresh to use as a KO move. Either way, Utilt is a great move that can be used fairly often in competitive matches. There are still times when you should not use Utilt, but it is harder to punish than many of your other ground attacks, so you don’t have to be as hesitant if you see an opportunity.

Down Tilt

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]

[/collapse]

Rating: :ike::ike:
Hits on Frames 16-18
Ends on Frame 55
Damage: 14%

The Down Tilt (or Dtilt) is not a terrible move, but it is very situational and otherwise risky to use. It’s primary function is as a spike near the ledge, which of course means you won’t be getting too many spikes with it since your opponents can just grab the ledge to avoid it. Dtilt’s small hitbox and long ending time means it is not a good option on-stage, although if you manage to hit with the hilt of the sword it will send your opponent at a forward angle stronger than an Ftilt.

No matter what part of the hitbox connects, Dtilt will deal 14% damage fresh. It has a slight chance of tripping on-stage, but this is not practical due to it’s lack of speed and your inability to follow up the trip. The best way to spike with Dtilt is against opponents who have recoveries that do not automatically snap to the ledge (Luigi’s sideB recovery for example). It should not be used to punish planking, especially against characters like Meta Knight since it takes so long to start up and end.

~~~~~ Smash Attacks ~~~~~

Forward Smash

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]

Note: As you can see, the area in the upper-right of these images close to the visible platform is not affected by the hitbox even though it appears to be within the sword's swing radius.[/collapse]

Rating: :ike::ike:
Hits on Frames 31-34
Ends on Frame 80
Damage: 17-22%

Forward Smash (or Fsmash) is a move that should not be used often at all, but if used intelligently, can instantly change the momentum of a match. The hitbox ends quickly and covers an area directly above and in front of Ike, but not the diagonal out in front of him (see the hitbox visual). Fsmash will usually do 22% damage fresh and uncharged, but will deal only 17% if you hit with the tip at the end of the attack and 20% if you hit with the hilt.

Fsmash has the longest start-up time of any of Ike’s smashes, but it only takes 7 frames for the hitbox to emerge after holding it to charge, ironically the fastest of Ike’s smashes. Thus making a read and charging an Fsmash to punish something like an air-dodge, a poorly spaced attack or a grounded dodge is effective since you can easily time it’s release. You should not use Fsmash if you are not 100% sure of your intentions though, never just ‘throw it out’ in hopes that it will connect.

It is possible to KO with a charged Fsmash as early as 40% near the edge of many stages and against certain characters. Most often you should try to land a slightly charged Fsmash in the 60-80% range near the ledge to KO your opponent. If it does not work once, do not try it again that stock, and possibly even that match. You have much faster and more reliable KO moves for opponents that are over 80% damage, so do not take unnecessary risks by using an Fsmash.

Up Smash

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]

Note: The second and fourth images show the frames during which the hitbox can poke under a shield on a platform. If you compare the height of the platforms in the images to the hitbox, you will see that this is the case, and in-game occurrences have proven it.[/collapse]

Hits on Frames 25-31
Ends on Frame 67
Damage: 17-19%

Ike’s Up Smash (or Usmash) is by far the best of his smash attacks and arguably one of his best KO moves. Usmash comes out slower than a tilt, but relatively quick considering it’s strength and damage output. The initial hitbox of Usmash will do 17% damage, while the last two frames that linger on the back end of the swing deal 19%. Usmash ends deceptively early and you can slide while using it, so it is your safest all-purpose smash attack.

Usmash can be used at lower percents to inflict damage if an opportunity presents itself, but it is best kept fresh to KO at upwards of 90% on most characters. Retreating an Usmash by dashing backwards and then inputting the Usmash is very safe and effective if you can bait an approach. Usmash is ideal for punishing rolls since it’s hitbox lingers after the backswing. It is also great for punishing baited air-dodges due to it’s large sweeping range and the fact that you can charge it.

You can use an Usmash to follow up things like Jabs or an Nair at low percents if you’ve read your opponent. For example, if they like to spot-dodge or roll out of your flubbed Jab Cancels, try Jabbing just once and then beginning to charge an Usmash. If they spot-dodge or roll, it will be easy to punish and the reward is high. If you whiff an Usmash, and your opponent is advancing to punish you, be ready to put a shield on or Jab them at the earliest possible moment, because either of those will often catch them off guard.

Usmash is also excellent for sharking platforms. It’s hitboxes are mapped to Ike’s sword, which skips over wide areas and ends up hitting directly at the level of a Battlefield platform on two separate frames of the attack (see the hitbox visual). This means that it can perfectly poke underneath an opponent’s semi-worn shield as long as they are not directly above you. If an opponent is holding their shield on above you and to either side a bit, go for the Usmash shield poke.

Down Smash

[collapse=Hitbox Visual]

Note: The smaller hitbox seen in the third image lingers for 9 frames and only deals 8% damage in contrast to the larger one (seen in the second image) which lasts for 4 frames and deals 16% damage.[/collapse]

Rating: :ike:
Hits on Frames 13-16 and 32-44
Ends on Frame 70
Damage: 13% and 8-16%

Down Smash (or Dsmash) would be an excellent move if the first hit could string into the second (doing a total of 29% damage fresh), but it can’t. So it’s a pretty terrible move. In fact it’s not so much that Dsmash is an awful move, but rather that Ike has a different move that is better suited for every situation. The first hit always does 13% damage fresh and the back hit will initially do 16%, but then degrade all the way to 8% during the smaller, lingering part of the hitbox (see the hitbox visual).

Dsmash comes out on frame 13, pretty fast. But so does Utilt. Dsmash does 16% damage on the back hit. So does a full Jab combo. Dsmash covers in front of and behind Ike. So does Usmash, except Usmash gets behind Ike faster, covers above him too, deals more damage, KOs better, and ends earlier. Believe it or not, Dsmash has less base knockback (KO power) than Ike’s Neutral Aerial. All of this, along with the fact that Dsmash is very punishable if whiffed, means you should never be using it in a competitive match. There’s just no point.

~~~~~ Aerial Attacks ~~~~~

~~~~~ Special Attacks ~~~~~

~~~~~ Throws ~~~~~

@ Stark: Good stuff! Nice to see you around here, I'll add your vids to my post near the OP, and it looks like Bored has already done a critique of your vid, lol.

@ San: Kudos to you, man, I approve of that decision. Don't worry about what the other regulars say, it will benefit our boards and the AiB Ike mains in the end.

@ Watkins: Well then we'll have to start taking kindly to them, I don't see any reason to dislike them. If they want to post here regularly, they'll have to avoid posting one-liners and posts that contain no helpful content (a bad habit that plagues much of AiB); but be honest, how many of you guys do that too occasionally?

@Bored: If they think they're high and mighty, they'll be humbled pretty fast around here, but I think they're mostly sensible enough. As for the posting, I won't be letting anyone get away with excessive spam around here, so you don't have to worry about that. They will either contribute helpfully, as Stark did, or not contribute at all.

All of that said, what do you guys think of the updates to my guide? If any of you can think of things to add for any of the moves I have so far please let me know. I'll get the last three sections (aerials, specials and throws) done tomorrow.

:034:

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
The correct response was "Now calm down Watkins, they ain't hurtin nobody."

But yeah, make sure to add a section on grab releases, I always forget where that thread is and it has some useful stuff in it.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
The correct response was "Now calm down Watkins, they ain't hurtin nobody."

But yeah, make sure to add a section on grab releases, I always forget where that thread is and it has some useful stuff in it.
Lol, it's stickied now. Kirk has all the grab-release info in the second post of his Ike Data Compilation. We'll include some tips on grab release set-ups in the section on following-up Ike's throws. Mostly just stuff about Wario, Ness and Lucas.

Edit: Back to my analysis, I would particularly like to add another paragraph for Jab 2, but I ran out of ideas or uses for it. If any of you can think of something I may have missed there, let me know. Right now it has the shortest description, so I think it needs some extension.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Lol, it's stickied now. Kirk has all the grab-release info in the second post of his Ike Data Compilation. We'll include some tips on grab release set-ups in the section on following-up Ike's throws. Mostly just stuff about Wario, Ness and Lucas.

Edit: Back to my analysis, I would particularly like to add another paragraph for Jab 2, but I ran out of ideas or uses for it. If any of you can think of something I may have missed there, let me know. Right now it has the shortest description, so I think it needs some extension.

first off, this is going together so fast an so effeciently the government should hire you lot for covert-ops.

second, ganon boards likes the fact you're using their rating method XD

third, something to note is that cancelling after the second jab back into the first is a bad idea against anyone who knows what to do, its easily shieldgrabbed by most of the cast, bad when fighting icies, falco and d3.
and i personally cannot see how the d-tilt is better than the f-smash, the mental note of f-smash for most people is 'oh sheeet' and make sure theyre out of range, and then mistime the punishment because they fear getting hit, it is probably the most feared powerful f-smash in the game.
just opinion anyway.
also, do we want to do something on how to avoid the a-stick making us jump? or can that be resolved with a smart sentence of 'dont spam the stick'

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
You know, this guide is growing a little too rapidly. Someone just pm'd me saying that he's been scared away from the guide.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You know, this guide is growing a little too rapidly. Someone just pm'd me saying that he's been scared away from the guide.
scared away? its exciting at how efficient we're being.
probably an aib-er who saw comments on 'we don't like them people here' and didnt want to post

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
OoS Options

One thing to remember with OoS is usmash, UpB, and aerials bypass shield drop. Shield drop is 7 frames for calculating what move you can punish with. Now then I'll go over basic OoS options though should work in a general basics

Spotdodge: 2 frames- find yourself being hit by a barrage of attacks? Spot dodge the last hit to have much more time to punish. Most common spotdodge option is jab though.

Shieldgrab: 7-8 frames - Generic Shield option, not the best option Ike has but if you can follow your grabs well then this is a good option to consider. Great for setting up bthrow > dash attack

OoS Jab: 10 frames - Ike's quickest attack OoS, usually the best thing to do OoS for a good 16%+

OoS Bair: 15 frames - Ike's quickest attack behind him. An amazing punisher and should be used often, however be warned you won't hit people who are low on the ground (ducking) since you're jumping.

Next on the list are punishment options for laggy moves. If you find yourself looking up frame data on other characters and see a shield advantage, that's how many frames you have to punish with a move.

OoS Ftilt/Dash attack: 24/25 frames - These are interchangeable and you can only use one or the other due to the distance. Use ftilt close range and dash attack if you got knocked pretty far away in shield push.

OoS Utilt: 20 frames - Usually i find ftilt used more as a punisher however utilt can work close range as well and sets up the juggle at lower %

Question: Why doesn't Ike use Aether OoS? It comes out in 18 frames and deals more damage than ftilt!

Answer: Aether is a horrible attack cause of how easy you can DI out of it (Especially out of the first hit) and it leaves you open afterwards

Question: What about usmash? It comes out as fast as ftilt!

Answer: Only on the front end. Also usmash has shorter range in front and hits frame 31 at the back. You can get all calculating you want but OoS ftilt is better for frontal attacks and OoS Bair is best for behind assaults.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's going to go fast. We have two previous guides to pull information from, and several other topics. Run with the pack or get left behind.

Also: Keep AiB out of this. If they're too stupid to realize that wifi is worthless, I don't want them attempting to "help".

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Mr. Doom you can give more if you want. The more money put into the guide the better it'll be :laugh:

People you can also contribute to subsections that have contributions already if you feel that there are some points missing and want to add them to it.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I'm thinking maybe we should have some people assigned to reading through things to make sure all the stuff put in is legit and good.
Editors, per se.

I could maybe be one of those.

Or we could stand back after all the sections are finished and collectively edit everything.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I could maybe be one of those.
If you'd like to start doing that whenever you get a moment/feel like it that would be awesome. Just copy/paste sections you're going to edit (grammatically and for content) and then re-post them here so Ussi or I can update the OP. We'll all be doing a thorough edit when we have everything roughly done, but editing as we go can't hurt either.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
I would like to help you but I don't know how. I'll watch this thread carefully !

Heartstring

Smash Legend
sadly i cant think of anything else i can do that other people can't do significantly better, if you need my help, ill be watchnig the thread, but i bet you won't XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Hey you guys don't be thinking other people can do it better, do something and it'll get people started on the topic, this is a community effort

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Hey you guys don't be thinking other people can do it better, do something and it'll get people started on the topic, this is a community effort
ohkay, im jsut not really knowledgeable on much ike stuff, i mean i can give a second opinion on stage's if its wanted, but it would probably be more personal opinion rather than character specific
edit: or maybe a who to take/not take here for each stage to add onto niddo's thing?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You can pick one stage and rate what characters to bring and not bring (or more than one stage)
i'll do the whole lot, however a few of thos stages are banned in the uk, so i can't judge them really, it will probably just be theory for those ones...be back in half an hour...

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
something to note is that cancelling after the second jab back into the first is a bad idea against anyone who knows what to do, its easily shieldgrabbed by most of the cast, bad when fighting icies, falco and d3.
Wait, no, this isn't true. Mainly just Fox (and Wolf?).

Assuming the same is true for Wolf (needs verification) as is for Fox, they can just hit the ground and powershield it. As far as I know, the rest of the cast doesn't fall so quickly as to get to the ground fast enough (if you cancel your jab on time).
However, against Mario, Luigi, Marth (and maybe ROB), and other characters with super fast aerials that hit in front of them, it is usually also a bad idea to reset after jab 2, because you can be hit.

and i personally cannot see how the d-tilt is better than the f-smash, the mental note of f-smash for most people is 'oh sheeet' and make sure theyre out of range, and then mistime the punishment because they fear getting hit, it is probably the most feared powerful f-smash in the game.
just opinion anyway.
We rated them both 2 Ike faces, right? Anyway. Keep in mind our rating system is for what moves consistently work and benefit us. Not by how scary they are or how often people flinch when they see them land.
also, do we want to do something on how to avoid the a-stick making us jump? or can that be resolved with a smart sentence of 'dont spam the stick'
Hm. I guess I'll do that right now.

Setting C-stick to attack leaves you open to a certain, strange type of mistake if you're not used to it. But when you're used to it, it poses almost no threat. This little mistake you might notice as jumping when you don't input a jump. This jump is a result of bad buffering with your C-stick. Buffering an attack on attack stick at a time when the game cannot read the input for an attack VIA the attack-stick (right after another attack, after a dash or run animation, when you are stopping running, or in the shield-dropping animation). The way to eliminate this risk is simple: Don't spam the C-stick really fast (which you should just do anyway), and every time you plan on jabbing or tilting from a run animation, shield first and use the A button, or wait for those frames to end instead.

If anybody thinks they have a better grasp on the cause of this jump or how to explain how to avoid it, feel free to copy, paste, and edit.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
That was a really good description Brett, as I'm working on the smash stick vs tilt stick section I'll throw that in there.

If any of you guys disagree with any of the Ike face ratings I give a move, just let me know and we can discuss it. I spend quite awhile considering what rating to give each move, so they aren't just quick guesses, lol. At the same time, I may miss something or just not have an accurate opinion on one, so feel free to disagree.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nysyarc i've added brett's explanation to the control schemes. Feel free to remove them if you include it in yours

Max113

Smash Apprentice
I could do the Online vs IRL. But I do have one question... what are you looking for in that section? (i.e. The differences / A guide to online & a guide to Offline / Pro vs Cons)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Online vs IRL is the differences to expect between online and offline play. Pros and Cons would work too. Everyone has different experience on this so i'm expecting a variety of information on this. I don't want to promote a online play style in this guide, but those who play online i want them to know the difference and not pick up wifi habits

Max113

Smash Apprentice
Online vs IRL is the differences to expect between online and offline play. Pros and Cons would work too. Everyone has different experience on this so i'm expecting a variety of information on this. I don't want to promote a online play style in this guide, but those who play online i want them to know the difference and not pick up wifi habits
I could do a Pros vs Cons then.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah I'm thinking it'll be kind of like the section on using the Wiimote + Nunchuck. We encourage the use of a GC controller because it's more versatile, but at the same time we want to help out people who maybe can't get a GC controller or are very ingrained with the Wiimote. Same thing with the WiFi vs IRL, we want to encourage offline play but offer tips and information for people who have to play WiFi or don't have very active local scenes and so get much of their MU experience from WiFi.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
No deadline as of now because everyone is helping out at a good pace and things are getting done. I don't want to set a hard deadline for anything unless it becomes necessary due to slacking off. The way it's looking right now though, we should get this thing done pretty quickly.

Max113

Smash Apprentice
No deadline as of now because everyone is helping out at a good pace and things are getting done. I don't want to set a hard deadline for anything unless it becomes necessary due to slacking off. The way it's looking right now though, we should get this thing done pretty quickly.

But I love to slack! :3

I will just go Ike on the ladder, that should give me enough info to go on. ;D

XxHollowCorexX

Smash Apprentice
This is amazing stuff, good work to everyone who was able to contribute.
I'll help contribute more, hopefully. :D

Top Bottom