• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to Hatch a Healthy Yoshi: A Group Project - Who wants it?

salaboB

Smash Champion
In a b-reversal thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166774) I noticed that every one of Yoshi's specials can be reversed after beginning. It occurred to me that if someone were chasing you while you were dashing away, beginning a ground pound THEN reversing it might be capable of catching them off guard.

I have no idea if this is actually useful or not (Or if any of the other specials benefit from it and aren't already mentioned) but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'll look into that to see just how useful it is.

In the meantime, everyone say hello to lucky tech number 13 =D

:yoshi:Dash Pivot Cancelling :yoshi:

Nocher

Smash Rookie
holy crap!!! this can really help once i master it

edit, the vid person was right, yoshi is easy to do it with. dsmash with this will be sick!

Nocher

Smash Rookie
also, something you should add

when you use the cancel, but push the c stick in the same direction for fsmash rather than the opposite, it will turn you around, cancel the dash, and give you slide in the opposite direction!! i have put this through some times and i can get it consistent. perhaps this could be used as a way to fake a dashaway, then a frontal assault, to make them retreat while you slide away, able to throw eggs at them. could someone put this into more speculation because i would like to see if it could be usefull. if it is new, call it the guerrilla assault

edit, it may just have been a glitch with my controller, but who knows, maybe it wasnt

Sharky

Smash Master
Well, something to look into, at any rate. I've just gotten to check this thing out for myself today, and not for too long, either.

In other news, though, this weekend I'll have an opportunity that I haven't had since brawl came out: a weekend at home, where I can actually collect some serious info for the guide! Expect in depth damage data, including attack fatigue and K.O. percentages for moves, over the weekend. Probably Friday or Sunday night. Woo, a chance to upgrade my guide from good to awesome! =D

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hey theres one AT i dont see up there, so read this if you want to put it in the guide:)

Quick Pivot Grab - You do a dashing grab, then right at the beginning of the dashing grab, you C stick the opposite direction, ending in a quick pivot grab. The result is a fast pivot grab, and your character's location may be slightly (very slightly) moved backwards. So you should use this instead of just using the standing grab, since its faster and doesnt have as much ending lag as it.

Credit: Discovered/showed in a video by Fumi, and figured (explained) by Mmac, leader of Yoshi Tribe from Brawl Central (unless if someone else found out but didnt post on the internet or their posts were 'unpopular' or such so their news didnt spread as fast so that person wasnt considered the 'first', or anything else like that. May be Fumi did explain this but only in Japanese or something).

Good work on updates and the guide, keep it up! :D And again, thanks for this guide:)

cobaltstarfire

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that sometimes doing arial attacks Yoshi flys upwards, it happens with his Uair, but I've done it to varying degrees with his flutter kick too. (Which was really interesting to have him shooting upwards while doing it, I've done it once where he flew upwards about the same amount as a single jump and very quickly).

I can never get him to do it on purpose though, so I'm not sure what it takes...but it would be neat if it could be controlled.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You could be footstooling or double jumping. Both cause massive upward drifts.

cobaltstarfire

Smash Rookie
Maybe it's double jumping, it's not footstooling cause I've done it without anyone being in a position to be footstooled. (Indeed I've done it with the sandbag, or in training mode with the npc nowhere near me).

I've been trying it out more, and I can't get any repeats for the weirdness for the flutter kick though. :(

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I put a thread up about this on here a while ago but I thought I'd mention it again in case you all have any use for it. If you double jump and use Yoshi's Neutral B at the exact same time Yoshi gains downward momentum. This is unlike the DJC effect where Yoshi stops in the air. If you press them both at once there is actually a force that pulls Yoshi downward more than just gravity. I don't have a clue if you guys can use this for anything. Maybe a weird jumping pivot egg lay. The same thing happens if you throw an item and double jump at the exact same time as well. Anyhow I wanted to mention it in case you missed it the first time and happen to have any use for it.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Does the opponent have a few invincibility frames after they get out of an egg from Egg Lay? I Egg Layed a couple of times in training mode, and noticed the opponent flashing for about 2 or 3 frames. During this time, all my aerials missed (most notably dair) . They hit after he stopped flashing though.

Has this always been like this? I just mained Yoshi in Brawl, so I'm not sure about this.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Actually, the frames of invulnerability have been in since 64.

I noted it in Project Y.O.S.H.I. in the Melee boards for Yoshi and I believe Bringer mentioned it in his guide as well if I remember correctly.

At any rate, from a development standpoint, I'd estimate that those frames are present to prevent Yoshi from locking enemies in inescapable egg chains (oh lawdy noooo, wut iz i gon doooooo?), which would be pretty dumb, but pretty fair considering what everyone else has. >_>; You can still hit people out of the egg, but you have to space and time with more precision than in Melee due to increased floatiness and air control of most characters now.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Upon further testing, I noticed Egg Lay always makes the opponent jump as they're getting out of the egg. Most of the time this can set up nice air juggles, but if the opponent knows the best way to deal with this (DI towards stage and mash L/R until they break out of egg?) it might be difficult catch them out of the air. At the very least, it looks like it can set up a mind game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have a serious question for you Yoshi Mainers. It pertains to Yoshi Release Grabbing Wario.

At the beginning, it was believed to be an infinite on Wario. After a certain period of time, it was said to work only on Computer Players. I told Ulevo (the person that made the official Chain Grab list) that Yoshi did not have an infinite on Wario after it was said to not be an infinite CG. However, he personally tested it and said it was in fact an infinite.

Here's a link to his thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158858

His actual post was :
Yes, Yoshis works for certain. Why that poster removed it from the sticky in the thread is beyond me. The timing is weird, but not difficult.
My question to you all is Whether or not this is truly an infinite. There have been many threads about this being a true infinite and threads about this not being an infinite. I would like to end this once and for all if we could.

Defender

Smash Rookie
Thanks very much for the guide Yoshinator! I was especially appreciative of the AT's, and I look forward to upping my game with the mighty Yoshi.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I wouldn't call it an infinite on wario. Just until about 120 till we can release him into a Fsmash for the kill :p

Sharky

Smash Master
hmm, I tend to prefer the upsmash. Much easier to time and whatnot. I can see the F-smash making rather nice work of him too, though =D

In other news, I'm without a consistent wii again *sadyoshi* However, I'm using my every moment near one to work on Dragonic Reverse stuff, so that I can know as much as I can once I feel we know enough to write about it in the guide. (ie. timing, the best way to do it, valid combos/mindgames, etc.) As amazing as it already sounds, it's still new, so therefore I'm sure it'll take a while to discover its true potential and I don't feel I can do it justice at the moment.

Stay strong, Yoshis!

-Sharky

Defender

Smash Rookie
Hey, Yoshinator, I was looking at the guide again, and I noticed that you left out Yoshi's dash attack from his list of attacks.

Speaking of Yoshi's dash attack, does anyone know of a decent use for it? I use it from time to time just to keep the opponent on his toes, but it has a little to much lag time for comfort, making it easy for the opponent to punish.

Carouselambra

Smash Rookie
his dash attack combos very well with his neutral A

neutral A x2 --> dash attack --> neutral A x2 --> dash attack works wonders

doesn't always work, but a lot of the time the op can only watch in dismay

Scala

Smash Ace
Dash is also good for hitting just off the ledge. He sticks his head out pretty far and you can actually hit hanging opponents with it once they use up their invincibility.

Sharky

Smash Master
indeed it does =D

I've actually been doing some work of my own with the wario chain grab lately, and have edited the section accordingly. Enjoy! :yoshi:

auroreon

Smash Ace
I just wanna say thanks so much for this guide. I only really started to get into brawl seriously about a few days ago after having the game for 3-4 months and this guide has really helped.

And I agree that something should be added about the dash attack, the neutral A --> Dash that Carouselambra mentioned is pretty useful sometimes.

I have a quick question also, this may be completely ******** but... how do you double jump after an up B? I've seen it done in a few videos but I can't seem to pull off a double jump after throwing an egg.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I just wanna say thanks so much for this guide. I only really started to get into brawl seriously about a few days ago after having the game for 3-4 months and this guide has really helped.

And I agree that something should be added about the dash attack, the neutral A --> Dash that Carouselambra mentioned is pretty useful sometimes.

I have a quick question also, this may be completely ******** but... how do you double jump after an up B? I've seen it done in a few videos but I can't seem to pull off a double jump after throwing an egg.
Are you using tap jump? If so, what happens is that when you use up B, it'll likely cancel out your second jump. Chances are the people who do egg toss -> double jump in the videos do not use tap jump.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Yea I'm using tap jump, I don't think I could get used to turning it off though so I guess I'll just live with it.
I did manage to do it with tap jump on a couple of times just now but I don't think the timing required allows it to be used consistently... oh well.

Top Bottom