• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to Hatch a Healthy Yoshi: A Group Project - Who wants it?

Meta Knight Light

Smash Rookie
It's a very nice guide, I can't wait to play as Yoshi!
I'm just wondering about the Egg Throw. I thought you could use a double jump after an egg throw?

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I am planing on using Yoshi in the upcoming Brawl tourneys at the Games Stops / EB Games
and was wondering id you knew any good strats I could use against people there. I main Yoshi in melee and I usually don't DJC and L cancel any more because for none of that in brawl and I am good at getting in and getting smashes and stuff like that.

But anyway have any good ideas on what I should use there

Sharky

Smash Master
I know that the official Nintendo Brawl tournament will be using items, though I don't remember whether the gamestop one does or not. If it does as well then I say boo lol. But anway, a quicky list
bairs and nairs make great approaches (reverse nairs preferably since they can get past shields, nairs more for midair/edgeguarding purposes)
egg rolls work very well to catch people by surprise (particularly at low damages)
egg throws from a distance are a must,
yoshi bombs at high percentages
f-smashes (at places where it won't punish you of course, stutter stepping will greatly help your spacing on this one)
up-smashes/utilts followed by uair/egg juggling
mix up dash attacks, hyphen smashing, aerial approaches, and dash grabs to keep your opponent guessing. Mind games, son.
mix up you recoveries between overrhead, edgerolls, edgehops, attacks, etc. More mind games
if smashballs are in, dairs work nicely for breaking them. eggs are great if you're not close
Taunts, lots of taunts. Particularly the dance taunt. :yoshi:

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the great guide, but i had a further question about stutter stepping. Is the increased range at all comparable to his f-smash in melee, or is the attack range overall still nerfed?

Sharky

Smash Master
I'd say the forwards stutter-stepped range is about the same as his melee f-smash. Keep in mind, however, that yoshi's whole body moves forward at the start, so you don't get so much in the way of lean-back with it.

Zek

Smash Ace
So what exactly is the sweetspot to spike with Yoshi's F-Air? As far as I can tell it seems like hitting them anywhere around the edge of his head, but not dead center, causes a spike. I've gotten them from below and from the max range, but sometimes it seems inconsistent.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
Yes, can you write up an indepth guide to the fair and its changes from melee, and how to use it?

I think that's the only thing about yoshi that I don't really have a good grasp of yet.

YoshiPwnsAll

Smash Rookie
I have a specific question to those that main Yoshi very well. A friend of mine mains as Pikachu, and I main as Yoshi of course. Pikachu always uses his thunder very effectively against me, and I wonder what is the best move to counter this. I try to stay out of the air when I am fighting him, but this doesn't even work. Also note that we play 4 player brawls, not 1 v 1s.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I have a specific question to those that main Yoshi very well. A friend of mine mains as Pikachu, and I main as Yoshi of course. Pikachu always uses his thunder very effectively against me, and I wonder what is the best move to counter this. I try to stay out of the air when I am fighting him, but this doesn't even work. Also note that we play 4 player brawls, not 1 v 1s.
Ha, I have the same problem. Alot of people seem to enjoy thunder spamming, but I've become quite good at combatting that since my friend spams it in 4 player brawls as well. First tip would be airdodge whenever you hear pikachu say his name that's when you're in the air of course, on the ground i'll time my charge and grab him while he's standing still throw him up and Uair. The best thing to do for killing is Fsmash, but i usually just try to annoying them out of thundering with constant punishment.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
A few things I didn't see, and wanted to make people aware of:

Yoshi can DJC with Neutral-B. Very useful in Brawl. You can cancel the DJ immediately so that he drops back to the ground to use it, so it's nice for people who shield to punish an aerial. Or, you can wait a bit to cancel the DJ and use it to hover in the air.

If you land DownB on a slope, it auto cancels.

DJ immediately canceled into an airdodge results in a large upwards airdodge.

Yoshi can drag down below the stage with Dair, then footstool jump off the opponent. Unless you're fighting someone with great vertical recovery (DDD, G&W, etc.) it's usually a free kill.

After Bair, you can turn around with UpB. Probably any aerial really, but I only use it off Bair.

Dash attack no longer falls of the edge if you hold a directions afterwards. :bee:

Just picked up Yoshi yesterday, so I should be bringing some more stuff in the next few weeks.

Gindler

Smash Champion
A few things I didn't see, and wanted to make people aware of:

Yoshi can DJC with Neutral-B. Very useful in Brawl. You can cancel the DJ immediately so that he drops back to the ground to use it, so it's nice for people who shield to punish an aerial. Or, you can wait a bit to cancel the DJ and use it to hover in the air.

If you land DownB on a slope, it auto cancels.

DJ immediately canceled into an airdodge results in a large upwards airdodge.

Yoshi can drag down below the stage with Dair, then footstool jump off the opponent. Unless you're fighting someone with great vertical recovery (DDD, G&W, etc.) it's usually a free kill.

After Bair, you can turn around with UpB. Probably any aerial really, but I only use it off Bair.

Dash attack no longer falls of the edge if you hold a directions afterwards. :bee:

Just picked up Yoshi yesterday, so I should be bringing some more stuff in the next few weeks.
I admit I have used Nuetral B to cancel the DJ before, but I almost never have to use it.

And yeah, Pusing someone below the stage with yoshi's Dair is almost always a fun easy kill that I can get 40-50% kills quite often actually. Only hard part is getting them off the edge later on because they'd rather take a beating running back to the center rather than being pushed down so easily again.

And again, shielder just use Bair or Dair on their sheilds and it eat right through it and sheild stab them almost every time.

Sharky

Smash Master
Didn't think to add some of those things, but yes, they are good points.

As a side note, you can turn around with the up-b whenever. However, you won't always change momentum, along with direction. This has gimped my recovery a couple times, so I'd know =P

SiSiMeN

Smash Rookie
If you are in the air and moving, it is a very simple air dodge. If they are using it on the ground....roll. Also yoshi's Front B attack will cancel the last few frames of pika's Down B. (in fact it may not even harm you at all but test it first, because the lightning is so long it might still hit if you do it too soon.) Also the way I see it, if someone is going to be cheap and annoying, do it right back. Do nothing but run and throw eggs, if they get too close turn them into an egg and run and throw more eggs, then see how much they like it when YOU are the one being annoying.

Yes, can you write up an indepth guide to the fair and its changes from melee, and how to use it?

I think that's the only thing about yoshi that I don't really have a good grasp of yet.

It really isnt as difficult as it sounds, if they are coming from below you at an angle (IE, diagonally up like marios up B.) if you hit them from above with it (directly on their head, almost above them) you will meteor smash them. If their character is at EYE level with your Yoshi, you WILL NOT meteor smash them with the Fair. Instead it will knock them in the direction you are facing. So make sure you are above them and coming down on their head, and you will hit them, but if you are coming at them horizontally, you will knock them to the right (unless you time it so you hit them from above)

hope that helped.

Sharky

Smash Master
I plan on using yoshi to at least some extent at a tournament tomorrow, I'll hopefully update this guide with gained knowledge afterward. I'm also likely going to (finally) start working on a character matchups section in the near future.

kangaroo

Smash Cadet
the_yoshinator said:
chainthrowing: About time I added a category on this. A chaingrab involves grabbing an opponent repeatedly without him being able to escape. Dedede is already well known for his, as was sheik in melee. Yoshi has one as well, though it works different from most chaingrabs in the way that he doesn't actually throw the opponent, he just chews them up until they escape, then runs and grabs them again. The tricky part is every character escapes differently. Some go almost straight up, and others go flying forward into the air. Some characters regain control over their movesments before yoshi can grab them again, meaning they can't be chaingrabbed unless they aren't expecting it. Wario, Metaknight, Falco, Ganondorf, Squirtle, Lucas, and Sonic can be chaingrabbed (each with varying degrees of difficulty). Enjoy! =) Thanks goes to Mmac for the list!
I thought Zamus could be chaingrabbed as seen in the other video. Are you sure that character list isn't for yoshi's forward throw because I heard he can chaingrab with that too?

Mmac

Smash Lord
kangaroo said:
I thought Zamus could be chaingrabbed as seen in the other video. Are you sure that character list isn't for yoshi's forward throw because I heard he can chaingrab with that too?
I thought so too, but I tried out all the characters that were in my "possible list (Chaingrabbed with CPU's)" yesterday with Bigman, and no, she goes too far back and can escape.

Yoshi Forward Throw can be chained also, but they need to be at a low %

Shiri said:
Zero Suit Samus and Meta Knight cannot be chaingrabbed.
Huh? We tested it and tried everything with MK to escape. Everything from Jumping, to DI, to Special Moves and Attacking and no such luck.

Sharky

Smash Master
gotta agree with mmac on both points here. Looking at that yoshi vid with karamity again, the Zamus player could have gotten out of those.

also, I chaingrabbed a metaknight across bridge of eldin a few times yesterday, I'm pretty sure he wasn't able to get out of it.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I don't know if anybody has noticed what I have, but Yoshi's uair is one of his BEST KO moves this time around. Yoshi's tail has such range, and I don't know whether it's because my opponent is in the air or not, but it *feels* much more powerful than his usmash at high percentages. Not only that, but due to the floatiness of this game, most opponents over the edge will be above ground-level, and I've gotten a bunch KOs that relied on me jumping off and DJ-ing to uair. The only problem I see with this is trying to do this on an airborne Marth or Meta Knight because of their very good (and disjointed) dairs, but my roommate mains Mario and I've had no problem using it to KO him.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Uair truly is a good KO move, most of my kills come from this I think (maybe the Dair to death), the main reason it kills better than the Upsmash is because you're higher than you would be when using an upsmash giving them less height needed to fly off of the top.

Also, I think you should mention in this guide that yoshi has the most damaging attack in the game (flutter kick :p) I did 35 damage to someone earlier today making it even more damaging than a fully charged D3 smash (according to the guide on him :p)

Sharky

Smash Master
Lol I would say that, Ginder, if it were true. Unfortunately, a flash eruption from Ike does 37 damage. =(

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget about X tap to dair. It was (I believe) an important tactic in the previous 2 Smash games, because it can rack up damage at incredibly fast rates.

Also, Yoshi's Egg Roll can counter Sonic's Spin Dash moves, making him ideal for fighting spammers.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I used to like short hop down air.

Unfortunately, both the sharp damage reduction to the move itself and the age-old effect of damage reduction occurring on used attacks makes it tougher to justify using besides for getting a meteor effect off the stage or for plowing through shields. Also, unless I'm mistaken, short hop down air cannot auto-cancel, and that's a big no-no for me as far as that whole "not dying" thing goes. I still use it, though. I just have to be more utilitarian about it.

If people like to use it to footstool, though (I love it to footstool when I can get it), beware to not get reverse footstooled. It's probably one of the most frustrating things ever.

Sharky

Smash Master
I love using short hopped dairs. The trick is to get some good speed into it before you start, so that you land just a bit outside the attack range they have between the time that they lose their hitstun and you lose your landing lag. I tend to use it more on bigger characters, cause it gets more hits in on them.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Uair truly is a good KO move, most of my kills come from this I think (maybe the Dair to death), the main reason it kills better than the Upsmash is because you're higher than you would be when using an upsmash giving them less height needed to fly off of the top.

Also, I think you should mention in this guide that yoshi has the most damaging attack in the game (flutter kick :p) I did 35 damage to someone earlier today making it even more damaging than a fully charged D3 smash (according to the guide on him :p)
Uair kills because it's frightenly strong, in fact it's the strongest normal in his entire arsenal for some odd reason. I sometimes use a short hop quick start Uair to substitute for an Up Smash because Up Smash isn't as good as killing as Uair even at low altitude.

I've killed Charizard at 118% with a low altitude Uair while he was grounded.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Geez, 37! and omg 45 from a rock? with SA frames no less, now that's ridic.

I just read in a dedede guide that his Fsmash fully charged did 33 and i thought he did all of his research so that I wouldn't have to.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Usmash is the best attack. Kills, is fast, has good range, combos, can use out of dash, hits in front, above and behind, is ridiculous when you pause the game during it. amirite?

Gindler

Smash Champion
And the way yoshi leans back he can dodge some attacks while he's doing it. That's why I love the Fsmash too, when charging he leans back and I've dodge other Fsmash attacks while quickly doing that (most recently ROBs for a kill so that was nice :p)

bananaman

Smash Rookie
... the yoshi bomb.... I think you need to play Yoshi's Story. IT'S CALLED A GROUND POUND GODDAMIT!

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yes, I know. I've played yoshi's story (fun game back in the day) and I know it was called the ground pound, but according to all the smash sites including the dojo it's called the yoshi bomb so that's what I've come to call it. Sorry for the annoyance.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
A few tidbits you may want to mention:

Yoshi bomb cancels out on slanted edges/platforms, such as those on Yoshi's Island. He immediately recovers and regains all jumps.

You can change the way you're facing during egg toss by holding a direction before you upB. i.e. Facing left, hold right and jump, then do upB. You should be facing the opposite way. Very useful after Bair, as you can Bair, then toss an egg after them.

Yoshi can DJC with Neutral-B. All of his other aerials he continues his momentum upwards, but if you use Neutral B it DJCs just like in Melee. Great for SH Bair, DJC NuetralB.

Sharky

Smash Master
He can cancel his double jump with any special move, actually. I just don't see much use in mentioning it more that just saying that, which I do.

Dunno why I haven't put the ground pound cancel in there yet, I'll get right on that. Thanks for reminding me. =)

UPDATE OF GUIDE: Added ground pound cancelling and AUTOCANCELLING. Note the ALLCAPS of AUTOCANCELLING. (I like it, take note of it if you haven't already) =P

Top Bottom