• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Deal With Specific Moves Discussion: Currently Discussing Marths Dancing Blade

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah so I was reading Marth's match-ups and I decided well why not narrow it down a little more ya know to certain moves characters have and I also browsed other boards and saw they had one so why not?

In this Thread (ITT) we'll disscuss different ways to deal with certain moves that Marth users can struggle with and/or usually get ***** by.

Hopfully we can get this working well. I'll update periodically (If I remember lol)

Note!!
I'll just be going down the tier list (v2.0) from top to bottom.

Now discussing Marth's Dancing Blade

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Discussion Library

Updated as we move along

Discussion #1:

Meta Knight Mach Tornado

Meta Knight's Tornado is a move that is pretty hard to get out of unless your at a high enough damage for it to pop you out the top, but even then the move is still a force to deal with. It has priority over many moves, difficult to DI out of, and it does a good amount of damage if your in it's full duration. The mach tornado is an easily spammed move that racks up any characters damage % quick.

How to deal with this move:

Shielding - Probably one of the easier and possibly safest way to avoid taking damage. Tilt your shield upward so that you don't get shield stabbed since the tornado takes up a lot of your shield. If you get through the whole thing shielding you can punish MK with pretty much any move. Other ways to deal with it are to up-B OoS. Giving the MK reasonable damage and knockback.

Counter - just jump back and counter as he's going towards you otherwise the counter will still protect you but you won't hit anything and the MK could probably turn back around and still hit you with part of the tornado. A good MK can probably mindgame you into countering too soon so be careful.

Forward Smash - Using Marth's forward smash attack will stop MK from hitting you with the mach tornado. Just be sure you have enough time to get the move out before MK comes and sweeps you up in it.

RUN AWAY! - Running away doesn't seem too bad. If he's giving chase then depending on where you are you can do different things. If you have some space inbetween you and the MK you can run and then dash cancel into what you want. You can Fair and Nair him but only if you get it tipped and near the top of the tornado. If your near the ledge and he tornado's to you, you can drop down on the ledge but don't linger there! A MK can just stop the tornado and then your stuck in a bad position to be as Marth.

Discussion #2

Snake's Gernades

The joy of explosions they make people happy. Unless your the one that exploded. Snake's can be very tricky when it comes to this. Even Marth's incredible swordplay can fall at the explosion of a gernade. The gernades can stop Marth (or any character without a projectile) from whatever he was doing and mess up what you had planned.

Shielding - Simply shielding will protect you and if the gernade was cooked then you'll get pushed back a bit. Watch the Snake really closely to see what he will do afterwards.

Correctly/Properly Spaced Fair, Bair, Uair, Dtilt, Dsmash - When these are spaced properly you can hit the Snake without hitting the gernade while Snake is holding it. Other moves work but will require more accurate spacing.

Catching/Grabbing the nade - You can shield it then pick it up (if it is not cooked long!!) or air dodge and catch it to throw it back.

Short hop -> Air dodge - Pretty much self explanetory, just be sure that once you land the Snake isn't getting ready for something worse.

Really watch what the Snake is doing. His gernades can be distractions from somethng much more damaging.

Marth has no great solutions to grenades.

Snake can shield drop one, then bring out another, shield and pick one up, so he has his feet and his body covered (whilst the only gap available is the few frames between snake chucking a grenade/it exploding and shield grabbing you [ridiculously small space of time]), and just about anything but perfectly spaced moves will have you getting exploded. Anything else and you're in major danger of a 21% dealing ftilt, or even a more damaging dthrow set up. Not to forget the grenades blowing up on you.

Marth has HUGE ISSUES with MEDIOCRE to GOOD grenade camping.

Don't set off his gernades, but at the same time don't just sit around and wait for the Snakes next move. Take note that Snake can't Ftilt while holding a gernade. Go in, ignore the ping, and get a nicely spaced Nair or Fair to his shield and try to grab him a lot.

Do not dancing blade him, or Dtilt when the gernade drops. Try to keep at a tipper range.

Discussion #3

Falco's Blaster

While not being rapid fire like Fox's blaster. Falco's fires slower but are stronger and do knockback. He can laglessly land and fire at the same time. Since Marth needs to get up close to deal damage Falco can keep firing and running away to slowly rack up damage.

Perfect Shield - Perfect shielding the lasers is a good way to continue your approach and not get hit.

Full hop - This gets you over any short hop lasers Falco will fire. The only thing that could hit you was if he full hopped and fired which, by the time he finished his short hop lasers, wouldn't be able to get in time.

Uh, I also like to Full Hop over them, because it leaves Falco guessing what I'm going to do next. I've been mixing this in effectively a lot lately. He loses his jab as a tool, as I'm coming in for a Fair.

If Falco is doing SHDL you can run under the first shot and PS the second one.

Discussion #4

King Dedede's Chaingrab

Who would have thought this big guy could get people on this? King Dedede's chaingrab is always annoying and an easy way for him to rack up some damage on you in a short amount of time.

First of all try not to get grabbed. Not getting grabbed will completly rid you of this problem with Dedede, but, that's a lot harder to do than to say. If you do get grabbed here's what you can do...

Walk out of it - Really? Who would have thought you could lol. When you walk out you can punish the Dedede for trying to grab and miss you with dancing blade or Dtilt.

Dolphin Slash(Up-B) - This works pretty well as well but don't be predictable with it. A good dedede will probably expect something like this so be careful. If the Dedede if at high % this could possibly kill him. If it doesn't then he'll fly off at least and away from you, giving you a chance to reset your playing,

Not getting grabbed is a major part of this matchup. FH rising fairs, Retreating fairs and nairs, AD THROUGH him and Dancing Blade, all to avoid getting grabbed. NEVER AD in front of D3 and try and get behind him/under him as often as possible.

When he does CG you, Marth can walk away if he screws it up. So, you're gonna wanna hold away as he's doing it, and from there DB is your safest option.

Try as hard as you can to break out as he attempts to pummel you, because DDD has a relatively slow pummel and if he pummels you, his bair is that much closer to killing you.

Also, don't fall for dumb mindgames after CG. Don't try and spot dodge because Dash Attack will **** you, just keep walking away and punish his lag. Don't try and jump out of it, he can **** that too.

When he CGs you offstage, you will get ***** by bairs unless you recover intelligently. Hit him back and recover as horizontally as possible, going high or low can be detrimental to your stock. DI is also important, aim for that corner and swing your fair to avoid early death.

That's it, I think

Discussion # 5

Mr. Game and Watch's Uair

G&W's Uair, two big puffs lol. Unfortunately for us Marth users those two puffs aren't good. Marth doesn't have much to do when his enemies are below him and since G&W's Uair can keep you in the air that means trouble for us.

B reversing DB1 - doing this will push you back while your in the air. Your best bet is to try and go for a ledge, using Marth's arieal mobility and B reversing will help to get to a ledge so that G&W can't **** you in a Uair trap.

B Reversing DB1 pushes you backwards continually, as long as Marth hasn't DS'd into an uair trap, he is best using his aerial mobility + B reverses to move towards the ledge, where a G&W cannot sustain uair **** forever.

Also you can try go for luls and do a fully charged shieldbreaker.
Going off and to the ledge seems to work but that puts you into a bad position. Good G&W's know that Marth is limited while they are below him so putting him in the air and keeping him there with their Uair is something you'll see happen. You gotta get your footing back or you'll just get *****.

Discussion # 6

Marth's Dancing Blade

Our very own awesome move, the dancing blade, Marth's punisher and move refresher. The dancing blade is Marth's move to use when you mess up, each hit counts towards decay so this move helps a lot in keeping Marth's move fresh and at good damage %. The move can be varied into many branch offs, and each branch off of the move do a good amount of damage.

Shield - It works, lowers your shield a lot but it will keep you safe.

SDI and up B out of it if you get hit.

If they go for the 4th down hit DI out of it if you can and punish.

Discussion # 7

Pic comming soon

Diddy's Bananas

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
The Tornado is not nearly as hard to avoid and punish as we first thought it was. The easiest way to deal with it is just to shield through the whole thing. The disadvantage to this is that 'nado eats your shield up really fast so you have to tilt it up to prevent from getting shieldstabbed. If you shield the whole thing you can easily punish with a grab release or Fair or DB or really whatever you want.

If, however, you dont like your shield getting eaten up like that, you can shield and then Up-B out of shield to break it, deal some decent damage, and make meta think twice about spamming it against you. The move degen is not a problem since we have DB

Another option is to jump backwards and counter as he's coming towards you. Standing still and countering does not work very often because you counter the air. The timing is harder than with DS, and good metas can just wait out the counter if you use it too early, as such it is not used too often.

You can also just run away from it since he cant do 21 damage to you if he cant catch you. If he follows you, just dash cancel into whatever you want to. It is possible to Fair and Nair him out of 'nado if you tipper them near the top of it. F-smash works if you space it right (or just spam it all day long) and looks amazing when it hits.

In our current metagame metaknight is not going to be spamming tornado very much, so when he does use it your safest option is to shield it and Up-B if you want to. If not just wait and punish

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
For one, I hate copying other boards. Especially when people usually copy off of US.

Second, I don't think this is needed because this is basically what the discussion threads are for. They can all be bumped how ever much people want in order to bring something up/ask something if we didn't already cover their gay moves, though we most likely did.

Not my decision though, if you guys want to go for it.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
how do i deal with bowsers fsmash. u think its coming. BUT NO. u drop ur shield BUT OMFG theres a second hitbox to it wtfbbq.

i also get infinite by yoshi. plzteachme2marth

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
how do i deal with bowsers fsmash. u think its coming. BUT NO. u drop ur shield BUT OMFG theres a second hitbox to it wtfbbq.

i also get infinite by yoshi. plzteachme2marth
Simply PS the first hit, or hold the shield, then follow up with a grab. It hardly ever shieldstabs, despite shrinking your shield a bit, and it has horrible afterlag, combined with bowser's awful spotdodge and roll, which makes it really punishable oos.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
For one, I hate copying other boards. Especially when people usually copy off of US.

Second, I don't think this is needed because this is basically what the discussion threads are for. They can all be bumped how ever much people want in order to bring something up/ask something if we didn't already cover their gay moves, though we most likely did.

Not my decision though, if you guys want to go for it.
I don't really care about copying other boards but I agree with steel. Pretty much all of this kinda stuff is discussed in the match-up discussions.

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
I agree that this has probably been discussed in the match up threads but who wants to/or has the time to search through and find a specific thing thats been causing them trouble with a specific character. I only made this 'cause I thought it would be a little more efficient in helping people find how to not get knocked up by specific moves that have been causing trouble or are simply hard to get around.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
There are various discussions for this, but if we try to discuss Zairs, and yoshis infinite and bowsers Fsmash all in their matchup discussions, then we will have to go to like 10 different threads to get the answers. I think its a good idea, although yes Steel, copying off other boards is stupid. However, we need our revenge on them!

Lets try it out and see how it goes. I think that at the least it will help keep the boards more organized.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^this, d3's shield/spotdodge. So annoying, I've had literally every DB spotdodged in one or two matches, and that's at near full speed!

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
if db doesnt beat spot dodge then you should be timing it down
so a db strike is at the end of the spotdodge
you can also just wait for the spot dodge and grab tgem but be behind them so they dont have the shieldgrab option
u can play against ddd w/o getting grabbed
u cant just spam moves and beat spotdodge legitmately

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
they can do turnaround ->grab oo spotdodge.
I know, but then he catches on and stuff.
I've been using pivot grab mindgames to help, but still I hate D3 matchup.

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
well ya if they turn around then u werent fast enough

ur basically telling me the d3 outplayed u and no one canhelp w that

all i can say then is space better and be less predictable

what ddd are you losing to anyway

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Eggz, and sometimes Moochero.
plus DSF will be at the next tourney, I know the snake, MK, and other ones, but D3 besides spacing I've been having some difficulty.

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
mike ***** dsfs d3 last time they played

u can space better its not about ur spacing its about the opponents and baiting the grab

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Not to even be a bandwagon rider (which is ironic since this thread is) I think this is unnecessary, as that's what our match-up discussion is for.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I think it's a good idea. It'll make a for a good read once multiple moves are compiled into the OP.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I think this thread is fine because like he said in the OP, this is a narrower topic than the matchup discussion thread.

As for the DB vs D3 problem, i think you should focus less on using each hit to pull d3 out of his spotdodge and just use the down variation at the end. Its kinda hard to explain but i think if hes going for dodging the whole combo and u do it at full speed then hesisate slightly before u finish, his timing will be off for spotdodging the last 5 hits. (this is just from my experience tho lol, im just speculating)

∫unk

Smash Master
nightshine why would you not put f-smash to counter tornado when multiple people told you it works and if you look at any decent marth vs decent mk video you see it happening

as of right now this thread is not legit for accurate updates

why would people want to say anything if you're not even going to listen

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Yeah I don't really see this thread as a source of organized information that holds any weight :-/ If people still have interest in the topic I'll make a thread in which I'll keep an organized list of suggestions and personal tricks. I haven't really helped the boards here out and I'd probably learn from it.

Takers?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Ok lets say snake whips out a grenade and he starts cooking it at medium range from you (5 character lengths for example). What would be the best option? I tried slapping him with a SB but his shield doesnt die even if the nade explodes on him. Usually if i go in for a grab, i get the throw but then the nade explodes. All attacks are fail because they make the **** nade explode.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
sometimes i start to approach with a simple short hop approach (no fairs or nairs or anything) and then once I see his throw animation start I air dodge towards him and Marth grabs the grenade in mid air. from here (depending on home much time you have and snake's placement) either fastfall or continue with your forward momentum and sit in your shield until it explodes and hopefully catches snake offguard.
If you screw it up, the consequences can be bad, but not worse than not doing anything about it at all...

3xSwords

Smash Lord
List of moves that won't make the gernade explode: fair, bair, uair, dtilt and d-smash. These are moves that you can space easily and not hit the nade while Snake is holding it. You can use other moves to hit Snake out of his holding his nade but they require more accurate spacing.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Grenades arent really that bad, yeah 12% that never stales. But they arent the main thing to worry about when fighting Snake. I just see nades as distractions for his tilts and jab/grab antics. If you get jabbed by Snake, a good Snake WILL proceed to attempt like 33% damage on you with a dthrow then a ftilt.

I deal with grenades by 'half ignoring' (knowing they are there but not focusing on them).
Just proceed throwing them away when you can. You can also grab them and spot dodge exc...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth has no great solutions to grenades.

Snake can shield drop one, then bring out another, shield and pick one up, so he has his feet and his body covered (whilst the only gap available is the few frames between snake chucking a grenade/it exploding and shield grabbing you [ridiculously small space of time]), and just about anything but perfectly spaced moves will have you getting exploded. Anything else and you're in major danger of a 21% dealing ftilt, or even a more damaging dthrow set up. Not to forget the grenades blowing up on you.

Marth has HUGE ISSUES with MEDIOCRE to GOOD grenade camping.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I think i will go with ZMT's "the nade is a lie" approach. Heck, i superman through falcos and pit's lazer spam so why shouldnt i give it a shot on snake? I used to try and just walk up to him and let him ping me with a nade or two but i stopped because the snake would boost smash me or just DA then im in an annoying position -.-.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Grenades arent really that bad, yeah 12% that never stales. But they arent the main thing to worry about when fighting Snake. I just see nades as distractions for his tilts and jab/grab antics. If you get jabbed by Snake, a good Snake WILL proceed to attempt like 33% damage on you with a dthrow then a ftilt.

I deal with grenades by 'half ignoring' (knowing they are there but not focusing on them).
Just proceed throwing them away when you can. You can also grab them and spot dodge exc...
I'd rather take the damage from getting hit by the nade than getting blown up in the air and getting hit by his Uair or bair or his usmash.

I think i will go with ZMT's "the nade is a lie" approach. Heck, i superman through falcos and pit's lazer spam so why shouldnt i give it a shot on snake? I used to try and just walk up to him and let him ping me with a nade or two but i stopped because the snake would boost smash me or just DA then im in an annoying position -.-.
That's how I approach and the same thing happens to me . Or I walk into a ftilt......however if you can anticipate the slide you can shield it or throught out a jab to disrupt it. I tend to shield.

legion598

Smash Ace
if his nade isnt cooked is it a good option to just run through it? Im thinking about doing this on a snake cuz his first nades arent cooked when the match starts

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Very very rarely against a good snake, you can pull off a counter if he's going to try and throw it, and he'll get hit by both counter and the grenade exploding from the attack, and you will be unharmed most of the time. I got like 50% on snake only one time from this, and he's been much better at grenade camping ever since.
Just wanted to throw that in there.

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice
I've glide tossed and grabbed a snake before.
~3% from the grenade poking him, and we both took the explosion damage.
That's not too bad, right?

Although I suppose I should mention I got ftilted afterwords.

I usually airdodge and just drop the grenade as I move towards him. The few snakes i've played usually expect me to throw the nade back at him and guard.

Top Bottom