• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Deal With Specific Enemy Moves #11----TOON LINK + SPAM

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
This is a 'how to deal with' thread where we talk about notorious moves from other characters and how Zelda can approach and deal with them accordingly. Every so often we'll discuss different moves from other characters and see how Zelda fares (hopefully not too badly).

Round #11: Toon Link's Projectiles
- How do you avoid them?
- What are your strategies?
- What do you follow up with?
etc etc etc...

::SUMMARY OF NOTORIOUS MOVES::

- METAKNIGHT -

~ The Tornado # Discussion from page 1 to 2

* A well timed DSmash knocks metaknight out of a grounded tornado. Timing is not that strict - if you're slightly off then DSmash will cancel it out instead. Perform DSmash earlier than you expect, the best time being when the top left or right sides of the tornado are about to touch you.​

* Running Nayru's hits metaknight out of a grounded tornado. Spacing and timing is essential.

* Dtilt cancels out a grounded tornado, even one that approaches. This is a solid defence but timing is needed.​

* If the tornado is above you, Usmash and Uair especially will consistently beat it.​

* If the tornado is below you fast fall nair and at worst it will trade hits. At best Zelda's nair will override the move and win. This must be done at the centre of the tornado.​
* If you know you won't make the centre of the tornado, Dair will cancel it out at the sides of it. In the centre it's all very risky imo, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.​

I'll either sheild it or walk/run/jump/evade it until he breaks out. punishing him is much easier if you lure him into the air/onto a platform. And if the move has been out for a while, just sheild it and OoS LK him.

other things that work:
I KNOW I've timed/spaced Fsmashes properly to rip him out before. and a also know that, at a distance, Din's breaks him out.
Just remember to aim at Metaknight instead of trying to attack the tornado. If you can hit Meta his attack will stop and he´ll take damage, but if you hit the tornado either both moves will stop if they have same priority or at worst Meta will stop your attack and keep his tornado.

-DIDDY KONG-

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! (until you realise just how stressful the banana can be... XD)

The Banana Discussion from page 2 to 3

* Bananas are important to your game as much as they are to Diddy's. Glide toss like crazy and claim those bananas. Use forward, backward and reverse glide tossing. Zelda's glide toss is a beast.​

* Zelda is a fortress. Claim the bananas and guard them. Stay near them and Diddy will have to invade, with a good chance of failing.​

* Followups from glide tossing include:​

follow ups:
- any smash attack really. Fsmash and Usmash work FANTASTICALLY well
- aerials (I've done this, glide toss to the edge of the stage and LK off of it.)
- jab works nice and leads to follow up
- grab if they sheild the bannana
* Claim bananas by jabbing and dash attacking into them. Aerials claim them if they are thrown at you. Other ways you can claim bananas include:​

Easiest I find is SH airdodge,
The timing is soooooooooo lenient.
* Nayru's is your BEST friend. Time it well and begin the offense.​

* Zelda can use din's on bananas to guard them. SH din's glide towards bananas. Follow this with a smash or claim the banana if you fall next to it. Alternatively din's at diddy to stop him getting bananas. FW to escape if possible.​

When Diddy uses bananas, watching the spacing becomes crucial. Good Diddy not only uses them to approaches, but also puts them between you and himself to limit your options.

If this is the case, it might just be better to start camping with Din to force Diddy make the first move.
-PEACH-

The Float Discussion from page 3 to 4
* Zelda is anti-aeralist. Peach is no exception. USmash will catch anything Peach dishes out if attacks collide. Otherwise a good Peach will bait this move and attack after. Ensure you're not baited and be alert for Peach's patterns.​

* Challenge the float with a jumping Nayru's reversal. Peach's Fair from float has excellent priority and odd timing, but Nayru's has invincibility and attacks after. Time Nayru's well, and when reversed it allows Zelda to possibly follow up with an LK.​

Hmmm...I think Nayru's might work, but I wouldn't rely on the invinci. frames. You'd have to time yourself very well to do that. I'd try a F-smash if I wanna beat it, but mostly I'll just shield it and try to punish...
honestly, I use jab spam against peaches who try to float at me and then, when I think they don't expect it, mix in a forward smash. it actually works quite well unless they are too high, in which case you either avoid or try to OoS Usmash.

if they are far away though, din's.
* Nair is a viable option that will outspeed some of peach's aerials. Remember to space yourself correctly.​

Hit her with a faster aerial, like a nair. If you predict correctly or if you're too close to her to wind-up and space her 16 frame fair/12 frame dair you will win. Naryu's love is pushing it (attack on frame 13, more lag than an air dodge, poor damage), up air works if she's dumb enough to be dairing in a position to be hit by it. Her air dodge sucks though, so she probably won't be in the habit of using it too much, but punish it if she is -- 'cause it sucks.

Don't get put in bad spacing by her floating. Maintain good spacing by walking with her if you can't just punish her.
The Float > Dair Discussion from page 3 to 4

Up smash out of shield after her fourth kick. That is the best, most reliable counter to a dair to your shield.

Get in the habit of tilting your shield up. She shouldn't be able to land safely next to you to stab your shield from a float.

- MARTH -

Fair Approach Discussion from page 4 to 6

* Marth's Fair approach is incredibly safe, but there may be opportunities to sneak in various attacks in between each of his consecutive fairs.​

Fairing Marth between his fairs works as does running up smash, nair, dash attack, and Din's. Just wait til you see the first fair coming and go for it.
* Zelda is a punisher. There may be times when Marth badly spaces his Fair approaches. In which case Zelda can take advantage and be invasive.​

The only way your punishing Marth's Fair is if its badly spaced. If so you have a few options:

a) Roll under and punish from behind on landing.
b) Move under and hyphen smash.
* Dash attack hits on frame 5 and has a surprisingly good vertical hitbox that can catch Marth off guard as he approaches.​

* OoS options are viable. Ftilt is quick enough to catch out Marth if Zelda spaces herself well.​

Shield and ftilt. Your ftilt is stupidly good. Also, camp Marth, and make him approach, then Fair OOS might work if you're amazing. FW is BAD. Retreating Din's is okay. Dash attack in between (frame 5, right?) might work.
* Don't teleport around using Farore's (FW). Strictly keep it for mindgames and such and use it sparingly (applies against all characters actually =D)​

- ICE CLIMBERS

Chaingrabbing Discussion from page 6 to 8

* First advice, don't get grabbed - counterpick stages with platforms or bumps in the terrain to prevent chaingrabs from connecting properly. Remember that Ice Climbers are opportunists, they will seek every possible lag in Zelda's moves for a chance to grab her.​

* Zelda is incredibly resistant to grabs. Nayru's, DSmash and FSmash give her the tools to keep the ICs at a distance.​

Dins is great in this matchup. Nana is easy to hit and their recovery can be hampered a lot by Dins. When they get seperated, you can easily hit Nana if she's too far away from you. Only use at extreme long distances though because you never want to even risk one chance of a grab. Also in this matchup if your ever forced into close combat do not use usmash as an OoS option, be in the habit of spotdodging to dsmash as a quick, reliable get off me move.

They're really easy with Zelda. Space well with fsmashes, ftilts, and Dins and you shouldn't have much to worry about.
* Separate them. They cannot chaingrab effectively if they are separated. When the ICs have taken damage, high knockback moves may easily separate them, with enough time for Zelda to dish punishment and possibly KO Nana, giving Popo a serious loss.​

Also, kill Nana. I always aim for Nana first, but sometimes I end up doing more damage to Popo than Nana anyway. As soon as I've caused significant damage to one over the other, I hit them with a high knockback attack which will send one farther away than the other and then I'll focus on Nana. Keep in mind she takes the fastest possible route toward Popo which makes her very easy to predict.
* Here's Zelda from the ICs' perspective:​

Hmm, being an IC main who once mained and still uses Zelda someone often i can say the obvious moves are her best moves. Smash smash smash! IF you don't want to deteriorate these moves though, which is understandable, use her priority moves such as Dtilt (its almost instant and stops the IC's before they are in grabbing range i believe). Also, short hop nair is good because it lasts until she lands giving it many chances to connect and possibly split the IC's. Short hope Nayru's Love works well too against IC's and many other opponents.

I'd say an IC user who can't get through your smashes to grab you would use Squall hammer or SH Blizzard to damage you, because SHBLz. does alot of damage if timed right and you aren't reflecting it, and Squall Hammer has a few super armor frames making it possible to break through Zelda's higher priority moves as well. But these don't lead to grabs usually, just a substitute for actually getting the grab.
* The ICs will use various tactics to get close to Zelda in a bid to grab her. Desynching is primarily their most effective means of approach. Use din's with care to disrupt desynched approaches.​

- PIKACHU

Quick Attack Cancel Discussion on page 8

Video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6boOKl674kI (stolen from the peach boards naturally ;O ) Watch from 1:09 onwards and you'll the see the QAC done effectively.

* Zelda's smashes have long durations regarding their hitboxes, and thus are key to disrupting the QAC effectively. These plus Nayru's should be her primary tactic when dealing with this method of rapid movemet.​

QaC does have slight priority but most medium to strong moves can knock or cancel pikachu out of QaC. The hard part is timing: mostly long-duration moves, if done before the quick attack is initiated, can consistently knock pikachu out of it. However, with QaC a pikachu main could just QaC in place infinitely, triangle OVER the attack, zig zag through the end and windup of the attack, or QaC away 1 unit and QaC back 2+units. Not to mention that a pikachu could use all of these options in one go.

Breakdown: Zelda's u-smash should protect her most of the time along with nayru's love.
1. u-smash: although not the best horizontally, if it cannot hit pika during QaC then pika's QaC can't hurt zelda either. However, since the QaC has so much variability, you could be punished at the end of the attack.

2. "" Love: Longer lag than u-smash, but will counter an out-of-QaC thunderjolts that could be thrown at u-smash. Could be punished by out-of-QaC aerial such as d-air.

That's as far as moves go. What about out of shield options? Well.... with QaC, pikachu slides through most shields in up to 8 or more length increments. If you have an eye for pikachu's exit in the middle of chaos, then by all means f-air/b-air twinkle-toe the electric rat when he's near, but the maximum length of QaC is about 2/3's the length of FD.
Due to the hitbox duration of Zelda's f-smash, I'd think twice before QAC'ing around into Zelda.
I would do so sparingly, to catch the Zelda off-guard.
Lobbing a t-jolt at Zelda and then using it for cover as I QAC through Zelda would be safer, but still not safe enough in my mind.

Yeah, what the others said. Zelda is one of only a small handful of characters that I'll make a point in using QAC against sparingly.
However, be wary of the QAC to Thunder. This I'll do against any character. Be ready for it and remember your neutral B can reflect it.
I have to agree with legendary. zelda is one of those characters i am VERY leery about qacing through. your usmash is like this wall of NO QAC B****. same with most of your moves. not saying i wont use it but i will avoid you. at the very worst if someone tried dto do what anther did too poor panda tap b lol.
* Nair and Nayru's have long durations that allow Zelda to safely disrupt the QAC.​

I just played a Pikachu who used a lot of QACs and Nair and Naryu's proved to be very useful. Nair was especially useful in stopping QACs in the air and I usually felt safe spacing myself with nairs because it doesn't have nearly as much lag as upsmash and Naryu's.
- MR GAME AND WATCH

The Turtle Discussion from page 8 to 10

RECENT TESTING BY HALF-SPLIT ^^

Tested, and I must say that Zelda´s range really keeps surprising me over and over again. Her F-tilt was almost identical in range to G&W´s Bair. It even barely outranged it when the turtle was in its shorter position. On its longest position it outranged Zelda though.

If G&W was coming from above Zelda´s up-angled F-tilt hit him way earlier than his turtle hit her, although the timing was hard when G&W was fastfalling. If he wasn´t it was actually pretty easy to beat his Bair.

If G&W came from the same height as Zelda (the usual situation) F-tilt didn´t work though. His continuous hitboxes prevented F-tilt´s hitbox from coming out before Zelda was hit. Since lots of F-tilt´s range comes from the step Zelda takes while executing the move, it won´t help the situation.

And since I started examining G&W´s Bair, I decided to test if I could find any way to punish it. What I came up was pretty reliable solution for shieldpoking. It´s very simple: if G&W Baired Zelda´s shield, she could spotdodge straight out of it without getting hit. So if she shielded the beginning of the attack and spotdodged when G&W was closer to ground, she avoided being hit completely and could even occasionally punish with guaranteed smash before G&W got out of the lag.
* The turtle is a pain. There is no sure fire way for Zelda to counter this move. However, it is possible to SDI from this move to accumulate less damage.​

SDI up and behind GnW and bair in between each hit.
* Get used to the fact that the turtle has an insanely long duration. Don't put your shield down at all and simply roll away if you can. Just don't try and punish directly. Focus on defending each hit and looking for an opportunity to attack.​

GW's turtle lasts for 39 frames, so it's a committed approach. The move is still active even upon hitting the ground so don't drop your shield too early.

Also note that GW can DI back and stop his inertia when RARing with Bair. If you get caught in the turtle, SDI up and away and try to use an aerial to punish GW.
* Din's can possibly hurt the back of GW when he's approaching from long distances.​

I'm pretty sure Din's Fire busts through the turtle from far away.

She just doesn't have a legitimate answer to stopping GW's turtle other than Din's Fire from far away. Once GW gets into his intermediate spacing range the turtle becomes really, really good.
* As there is a high chance you'll get caught in this attack, Zelda must minimise the amount of damage dealt to her as quickly as possible with the potential of ending up behind him, where he is vulnerable. You can attempt this via rolling or with SDI as stated above if you are hit. Even simple things can work!, such as:​

Sometimes Rolling behind & hyphen u-smashes work.

;-;
* RISKY: FW. It's a controversial move, but Zelda can use it if she predicts GW well (for once it hasn't been suggested by me XD )​

If I can predict when it's coming, I Farore's to the point where G&W was at before he started a SH-bair. The cool thing about this is that Zelda is tall enough so that I don't think there is any point where a character can SH and avoid the Farore's hitbox at any point in time.

By warping into that place, at worst for you, you could screw up and get bitten. At best, you'll hit him with the reappearance hitbox, and free hits on G&W are more than welcome. The main thing is to not take damage. As someone said, G&W's bair lasts for nearly 40 frames, which is enough time to warp and hit him. It probably seems stupid on paper, but honestly, there isn't much else that can be done (besides properly spaced Din's and maybe Nayru's... maybe).
. . . I suppose the game you do still have is Nayru's and Farore's. I have no idea what you would do with them, but they're all you have that isn't trumped.
Hmm. . . also your Dsmash is good quick, his is slightly slower.

It is possible to shield the turtle and then immediately spotdodge after. Zelda may have an opportunity to punish.

An upwards-angled Ftilt is semi-reliable and effective. Practise practise practise with this move!!! Get the timing right. On occassions it has been tested and found to reliably beat his bair. However if in doubt, shield.

This is a tough move, so minimise risk and damage. SDI up and away if you are caught. Roll away fast or shield if he's coming head on. Din's from afar if he's approaching from such a distance.

How to deal with G&W's B-air:

- Space a Smash REALLY well.
- SDI up and jump away from him or N-air if you're close enough.
- If he spaces it REALLY badly, you can D-smash him out of shield if you don't get poked.

That's really it.

- LUCARIO

Dair Discussion from page 10 to 12

* First and foremost, Lucario's dair hits twice, extends far beyond his toes, and he can attack many times in one jump. Here's some useful information:​

(Lucarios propably know this already): He can do 2 Dairs in shorthop, 3 in full jump and 5 in douplejump. His Dair also isn´t strong enough (knockback-wise) to usually kill alone if DIed.
* Lucario players use Dair depending on Zelda's situation. He also uses Dair consistently from Fair, as part of a combo string.​

But there's two kinds of Dair's.
Under 100% and Over 100%

Both are dangerous, Over 100% can kill.
And Dair is normally used as a Chain ENDER.
-t2
Anyways, when I use Dair, most often it's in a Fair>Dair string, which works very well for damage racking at lower percents. At higher percents I switch to Fair>Nair. How to avoid.... don't get Fair'd? You might be able to out prioritize it with your Usmash if you time it right, but I'm not really sure. I've fought my share of Zelda's and I think it's happened.

Jump>immediate Dair can also be use out of shield, so watch out for that.
Mmk, here's a little more for you guys.

A good lucario should never just flat out use Dair. Unless he's OoS'ing it (which is just jump and down-c stick), or having a techno party in the air, Dair will never be alone.

Like I said, it ends chains. Normally you'll see something like Fair>Dair. Thats the typical use of it. Boring right? I know. What you wouldn't expect is F-throw>Dair (when Zelda lands).

Dair stop's lucario's momentum but it can also Edge Hog. If Zelda is hanging there, all a lucario has to do just jump right above her (or just run off) and Dair. Aka, Zelda players, dont hang on ledges thinking your safe, cause your not.

Depending on how strong your shield is, and where Cario is placed, His Dair will weaken your shield and could skim the top of Zelda's head doing damage. This happens to most Tall characters in brawl.

Now, one thing I've tested for and seen a few times with Lucario, is his Dair will hit someone way below him. Back at the lucario boards, we have NOT found an answer to this "Event", but many have noticed the "Extended Dair Hitbox".

Enjoy.
-t2
* Now for some solutions: if Zelda is caught in a flurry of dairs, angle her shield upwards. She will not get shield stabbed.​

Any smart Zelda will have her shield pointed up because Luc can't really shield stab you from under and it makes up smash oos a little faster.
* Zelda has excellent OoS options against his Dair. There's the solid USmash that she can use, but this isn't necessarily the best option. What you want to use is Utilt. When he gets in close, it actually outranges him. Utilt has a very surprising range if it connects.​

I did some testing about Lucario´s dair vs Zelda and was worried that I couldn´t post the results anywhere... but now I can!

Zelda´s U-tilt can outrange Lucario´s Dair, but it takes very good timing. Her U-smash on the other hand can´t do that.
* Sometimes it's best to just roll or run away and then punish. How you punish is up to you:​

Just get out from under lucario and kick his aerial stalling dairing *** for abusing that move.
Remember, this move hits twice and can be done many times in short hop. Angle your shield upwards and punish OoS. Punish with Utilt instead of USmash, but the latter still works.

Alternatively, roll away and punish.

As a player, get a grip on the situation - if Zelda's below 100%, Lucario's will use Fair to Dair, or Fthrow to Dair as part of a combo. If she's above 100%, it becomes a killing move.

- SNAKE

- Grenade Camping Discussion from page 12 to 14

* Zelda has to understand the psychology behind Snake's camping. He's looking for her to approach a cooked grenade. Her best option is to get in the air and attempt to din's and close in slowly. Be on the lookout for all hazards.​

- When grenading a character, what is the reaction you expect or want?
We want them to try and approach for a cooked grenade, or stay on the ground to get hit by the one we threw. Your best option is to get to the air and try to hit us or our grenade with Din's Fire. Nayru's Love is another decent option to beat our grenade camping but won't always work.
exploding cooked nades with a well-aimed Din's glide gives you a chance to get in a move/grab due to the shieldstun he takes from Din's and the grenade.
* Never attempt to catch grenades with her jab. It may bounce off and her jab will only make it explode at her.​

Remember, if a grenade hits you and doesn't explode, it'll bounce off you very slightly. Don't spam jab where you were standing as you won't pick it up if this happens and you may get a face full of explosions D:
* Nayru's love may be an option. But use it sparingly and time it well. Also, shield and spotdodge is key to messing up his flow. Spotdodge the first grenade to make it fly off stage, and then shield the second. Close in slowly from there, and work on spacing to approach Snake.​

- use nayru's on noncooked grenades.
As far as thrown grenades go, I would suggest nayru's love, unless you notice a snake cooking a grenade at which point you should just air dodge or shield.
I fought a couple of people who didn't block grenades but just spotdodged it so it would fly offscreen, and then when I stop grenades in mid-air, they'd move out of the way and spot dodge my second grenade, Nikita is too slow, and mortar is ranged, so I would be forced to close in
* Some great info: Sheik can outcamp Snake. It may be a useful idea to use the duo in this matchup and finish Snake off with fresh kill moves from transforming to Zelda.​

-Turn to sheik. Needles > Nades 9 times out of 10
* What happens if Zelda disrupts Snake's camping easily?​

- What do you do if the camping goes wrong?
Snake-dash away and camp more :chuckle: If I'm facing a character I can't outcamp, I try to close in using shield dashing and mortar sliding. I continue to use grenades, but they're usually shield dropped or used to counter your attacks. In this situation, I tend to rely more on Ftilt, nair, and AAA combo than usual.

- Ftilt Discussion from page 12 to 14

* This move hits on frame 4. Take note of that! It's incredibly fast, has great range and also priority. However, Zelda has a key move here - FSmash.​

Zelda will have to get close to hit us, which is something shes lacking a bit. But, your Fsmash > our ftilt ;) our utilt outranges all but you're Fsmash I believe.
for snake's ftilt...
-just get better positioning and Ftilt/Fsmash
* Zelda has many shield options. For safety, shield and roll away from Snake to reset your spacing if you know his Ftilt will hit. Don't try to punish. If you're more daring, you can utilise OoS options:​

-Sheild and then OoS grab, Usmash or even bair/fair works great if he completes the 2 hit combo consistently.
- Avoiding is always a nice option.
* As an instinctive reaction, if you are sure Snake will get you with Ftilt, DSmash quickly to cause clanking and then roll away and reset spacing.​

for snake's ftilt...

-Dsmash him to clank with it... or beat him out if you input first
His Ftilt will be used interchangably with his jab. Spamming Din's fire would hold snake back anyway, but if he closes in, try to spot dodge and perform a quick move.

Also, Ftilt is good area control to set up C4, avoiding it is basically keeping snake at a mid to long range, and quickly dodging the moment he closes in, but never dodge towards snake unless he already starts Ftilt as it's a pretty easy move to use on roll spammers.
TAKE NOTE: Ftilt hits on frame 4. That's faster than the majority of Zelda's moveset. Utilt also outranges all her moves except FSmash. It can be argued that her FSmash, when properly spaced, can beat out his entire moveset, so begin spacing and using this move a lot more.

- FALCO -

Dthrow and follow ups Discussion from page 14 to 15

* Firstly, don't get caught. Zelda outranges him, so use her ground game to separate yourself from him should he decide to try and grab you. His grab has a lot of ending lag if it misses, so spotdodge > punish is very viable here.​

* He has many combos that lead from his Dthrow. There will be some scenarios where there's nothing you can do but take the pain. But always attempt nayru's or a lightning kick immediately to catch him off guard if he's not frame perfect.​

Falco's Dthrow, well, there's not much you can really do (since it's a throw which means he's already grabbed you). DI, tech roll if you eat Dair, Naryu's if their timing is bad, and of course the most obvious is try not to get grabbed in the first place.

I've kicked a Falco while he was trying to follow up a Dthrow before.
We can lightning kick him out of Dthrow... serioiusly. it's sexy and makes him stop trying to chinthrow us. :chuckle:
Lasers Discussion from page 14 to 15

* The primary use of Falco's lasers is that they force you into your shield whilst he rushes in, normally with a grab or combo. Don't be forced into your shield. Powershield, or full hop airdodge into the ground to get closer to him. Take it slow. Also, spotdoging lasers is can be very effective.​

As far as the Dthrow is concerned, Zelda has less to worry about than most. She's very floaty so it's difficult for Falco to chain her. The regular Dthrow chain doesn't work at all, so he only has a few options. First, he can do Dthrow -> FFdair -> Dthrow -> FFdair. It's fairly easy to DI away and then roll to get out of this, though. A better option for Falco is to not even try to chain, but use Dthrows to lead into a DACUS. Unfortunately, getting grabbed at 0% will lead into this almost certainly, but you shouldn't be getting grabbed at zero. Zelda can outspace Falco while grounded, and generally wins out in the air. Don't let yourself get grabbed until you've taken at least 20 damage, because you'll be able to DI out of anything Falco can follow up with, save lasers or a phantasm, which does very little damage anyway.
As far as the lasers go, I try to go on the offense with a full hop air dodge with Dtilt ready as soon as I hit the ground or spotdodge and use either Fsmash or Ftilt to keep him out of range. If all else fails, powersheilding is awesome! :chuckle:
I generally just Full-hop airdodge and try to predict if he's going to IAP or not. If your up against a serious camp based Falco......you really just have to stick with powershielding and every now and again throw out Naryus. Ban FD and pray he doesn't take you to Japes or Halberd. As long as your not on those stages, his lasers aren't to big of a problem. I also try to spotdodge them as often as possible because the whole reason behind them is to force you into your shield.
* Falco's lasers have very low hitstun, and don't do much damage. You can almost catch him out of a laser approach with frame 4 DSmash or perhaps your Dtilt.​

Lasers also cause very little hitstun. Something Falcos like to do is approach with short hopped lasers and try to upsmash you as soon as they're in range. A down smash is a good punishment for this when he thinks he's got you caught off guard by a laser hit.

-TOON LINK-

Projectile Spam Discussion from page 15 to #

??

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I tend to just warp out of the way, but Farore's is slow and I don't really have the time to pull it off.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I just back up and allow him to pursue me. Into an fsmash. Too bad ftilt doesn't go through it.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
Block-->Dodgeroll--->punish--->?????-->profit

(the last two are a joke, but the first three are probably the best thing to do against 'nado when its initiated on top of you, from my experience)

PSI Locke22

Smash Apprentice
instead of trying to space yourself for an attack you should stand still and time nayru's love.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
once in a while, if they prove to be greedy, I wait to LK them as soon as the move finishes.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
once in a while, if they prove to be greedy, I wait to LK them as soon as the move finishes.
Do you run away from them first though? Because if you're stationary the tornado will either overwhelm you, not giving you the opportunity to LK, or totally eat up your shield.

Everyone's giving some great advice btw, I may move onto another move soon!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
depending on how long he's had the move out. I'll either sheild it or walk/run/jump/evade it until he breaks out. punishing him is much easier if you lure him into the air/onto a platform. And if the move has been out for a while, just sheild it and OoS LK him.

other things that work:
I KNOW I've timed/spaced Fsmashes properly to rip him out before. I think I might have even done so with a ftilt... and a also know that, at a distance, Din's breaks him out.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Lol I was happy to begin with :p I'm not fussed - yours is easier to read than mine. Besides, whats the point in hogging something when someone else can use to help other things?
Awe thanks! Yours is good (but mine is better ;D)

I think I feel more comfortable posting in the zelda forums because I know more about her as a character than peach. With peach you have the likes of nikok, edrees and dark peach hovering over you, like grandparents XD

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Just a question regarding decay... does decay effect priority? Zelda's fireball will knock him out of his tornado if in the right area. This is useful if a MK is using it as an approach from mid range. I think I realized something, in a couple of matches I couldn't get him out of his tornado no matter what. Some games, just to keep pressure on, I'll fireball spam a MK off the edge (one of my roomies plays MK) and it seems like if I use Din's Fire too much that as the move decays it loses priority over the tornado. I had a couple of matches where I sat and spammed for a while then asked him to use the tornado and I couldn't but him out but then I would refresh my stock and I could knock him out of the tornado easier.

Anyways aside from that question the main way I deal with tornados are: 1) most of the time a well timed fsmash, we both take 1% and get knocked out of our moves, 2) roll/try to shield the whole thing and punish afterwards, 3) din's fire from the right distance followed by #2, 4) get the f away from the tornado, 5) if I'm at higher % and they're overspaming it let it knock me up, come back to the ground with 2% more damage, occasionally I can punish from this trading an LK for 2% damage which I'm happy about, 6) Nair coming in at the right angle will occasionally knock him out, 7) any of the other ways such as a FFdairs or well timed dsmashs, most of the time I just get away though, let the nado stale and wait till spacing is right and play a patient game :)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
You raise some really good points (and I'm glad you posted because now I get to test out my new sig! XD).

Din's grows in priority the further it travels. MK's tornado has been known to have random priority - at times it's amazingly high, others it's amazingly low. Could it be a mixture of the two factors that depends on the ease of which the tornado can be overcome? I'd really love to know myself.

Din's seems like a viable choice but only from a distance. Instant din's won't have enough priority to consistently beat out MK's tornado.

EDIT:: eurgh... my sig's AWFUL! Too much space... =(

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Just remember to aim at Metaknight instead of trying to attack the tornado. If you can hit Meta his attack will stop and he´ll take damage, but if you hit the tornado either both moves will stop if they have same priority or at worst Meta will stop your attack and keep his tornado.

In air you can´t stop tornado by hitting it, because aerial attacks can´t cancel each other by clashing. If you hit his tornado he´ll just keep attacking like nothing happened. So in the air, if you can´t hit Meta you better escape.

Also Zelda´s roll isn´t very good against Meta. It´s guite fast, which is good, but it´s too short. If you try to avoid with hit Meta´ll easily chase you and start attacking when invincibily ends. If his tornado is near the end, roll can be used for escaping the very last hits (assuming Meta tries to hit instead if moving away) but otherwise it´s not too great way to avoid the attack.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Okay so it seems like we have a general idea as to how to deal with meta knight's tornado.

::If anyone has anything else to say then make sure you say it now before we talk about other moves!:: =D THANKYOU!!!!!!!!

Also... I've decided to focus on a diverse set of moves, next up being Diddy's nanas! They are ANNOYING! =( But there are ways to handle them!

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
LOL i just made a topic like yours...
as for Diddy's banana's, I just pic 'em up and glide toss it .

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yep I saw! Never mind though! We'll get to peach's dair VERY soon because I've figured out good ways to deal with it ;D

Glide tossing is an absolute must. Zelda's glide toss is incredible in the right hands. She can do forward glide toss, backward glide toss and also reverse glide toss. She can even slide forwards and backwards whilst throwing the banana up or down. She has adopted both diddy kong's way of glide tossing and also peach's way, making hers far far superior. Such a shame she doesn't have a physical projectile =(

Anyways, I've pulled this off as well . Sometimes her glide toss slides half the distance of FD. It can be done on the majority of maps. It's inconsistent and comes out randomly as far as I know.

Now how do you get those bananas? And how to stop a banana combo?

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Well I don't fight really good Diddy's to be honest. He didn't use any combos...I just picked them up: when I could laugh:

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
combination of nayru's and glide tossing+follow ups makes diddy's banana's a threat to himself as well as to you.

(AWESOME picture BTW)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
combination of nayru's and glide tossing+follow ups makes diddy's banana's a threat to himself as well as to you.

(AWESOME picture BTW)
XD

What kind of follow ups? How do you catch bananas?

I tend to FW around them, which sometimes stops banana momentum and combos as well. Does a running nayru's on a banana trip Zelda?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
XD

What kind of follow ups? How do you catch bananas?

I tend to FW around them, which sometimes stops banana momentum and combos as well. Does a running nayru's on a banana trip Zelda?
catching banana's
-nayru's love: if the banana is YOURS, it's easier to grab pick up safely.
- dash attack
- walk up and press "a" :laugh:
- aerials

follow ups:
- any smash attack really. Fsmash and Usmash work FANTASTICALLY well
- aerials (I've done this, glide toss to the edge of the stage and LK off of it.)
- jab works nice and leads to follow up
- grab if they sheild the bannana

Iunno... you'd probably have to time running nayru's really effing well.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Oh my gawd, lightning just struck me! I think I've sussed this all out. Diddy struggles without bananas when facing Zelda. Her smashes combined with his light weight means he cannot consistently approach without bananas on top of or to the side of Zelda.

GUARD THE BANANAS. Claim them, throw them down, and stay around them. Diddy will have to approach, giving him a slippery hazard plus sparkly hands to contend with XD

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
didy can just dash attack and pick up teh nanners. and forwardB kick can be hard to beat at close range. it's not as threatening as you make it seem, though it IS kinda a pain for diddy.

Villi

Smash Lord
Learn how to use bananas like Diddy knows how to use bananas. It's lol if you can banana lock Diddy.

I'm not a big fan of Zelda's randomly super long glide toss, but her shorter ranged ones are useful.

Don't pick up a banana on the ground with a dash attack unless you also plan on hitting Diddy with it -- his dash attack is lagless, but yours isn't. You can pick up bananas on the floor with aerials or shield stop to use the A button. Bananas that Diddy throws can only hurt you once until they hit the ground; you can catch those with Z/aerial or an air dodge (which is easier than Z/aerial) before they hurt you.

You can throw bananas with your c-stick while you're still in your shield.

Forward glide toss into a smash/dtilt lock is pretty handy.

Backward glide toss while throwing the banana onto the ground is also handy.

Glide toss a banana downward when you're right in front of him. You can glide toss out of shield. It should put you behind him as he's tripping and you can either smash him or grab him. If you get a grab, just pummel him until he ground releases then he'll trip on the banana again and you can regrab or smash him. This will also "poke" shields and beat sidesteps.

Get familiar with Zelda's item throw range cuz it kinda sucks.

Naryu's reflects them when they're thrown at you or when they're in the air after his down b, but not when they're on the ground.

Throwing a banana backwards will turn you around in the air. I think it's good to know even if it's prolly not extremely useful for Zelda in brawl. Throwing a bananas in the air after him is a good air dodge trap for landing an up air. Pick up bananas he leaves lying near the ledge for you to trip on with ledge hopped air dodges/aerials.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I second diddy (well third him after peach), so I have the glide tossing totally sorted BUT is it better to use din's. Does din's outpriotise bananas? and also can din's destroy grounded bananas?

Villi

Smash Lord
Diddy will shield Din's and glide toss out of shield in addition to what everyone else can do about Din's. You can't destroy bananas. Bananas are impervious to all attacks. >.>

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
When Diddy uses bananas, watching the spacing becomes crucial. Good Diddy not only uses them to approaches, but also puts them between you and himself to limit your options. If you try for example use dash attack to grab banana and attack Diddy at the same time he can easily shield and punish. In Zelda´s case, losing grounded approaches can totally wreck her game, since she doesn´t have too many ways to start an assault to begin with.

If this is the case, it might just be better to start camping with Din to force Diddy make the first move.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I usually just catch/pick up the bananas and glide toss them to whatever move seems appropriate. Then I stay by the bananas to force some kind of a wall. I throw them sometimes to keep them alive to so he can't pull more of his own.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I was thinking Din's would be very useful but instead of aiming at diddy, aim on the ground where the bananas are. He'll be forced to dodge and this certainly could ruin his momentum. I think this allows for Zelda to prepare Nayru's and calculate just when the banana offense will begin.

Alternatively, FW out of the way of a banana storm if you can and begin using din's. I think this is one time where Zelda HAS to be campy in order to lessen diddy's chances of grabbing bananas. Of course, once she owns them, she completely owns the playing field with that beastly glide toss.

So:-

- Din's at bananas and not diddy considered a good tactic?
- Is evasion better than countering bananas? Is FW more useful?

EDIT:: Seems as if we have the banana sussed. I'll move onto the next move.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Sorry to keep bumping this, but the thread could be useful to those lost souls out there XD

We're discussing peach's float and her dair in particular. Any suggestions?

Also, I asked peach mains to contributes but they never responded >.> LOVELY!

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
A good Peach should use f-air and then retreat. That way, Zelda's U-smash won't be able to hit...
And how would you challenge Fair from float? Is there a move Zelda has that can fare well against it? I'm voting nayru's because of its invincibility frames and high priority.

Also, if a peach consistently uses this strategy, her Fair will stale fast.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Hmmm...I think Nayru's might work, but I wouldn't rely on the invinci. frames. You'd have to time yourself very well to do that. I'd try a F-smash if I wanna beat it, but mostly I'll just shield it and try to punish...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
honestly, I use jab spam against peaches who try to float at me and then, when I think they don't expect it, mix in a forward smash. it actually works quite well unless they are too high, in which case you either avoid or try to OoS Usmash.

if they are far away though, din's.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sonic basically said everything you can do against Peach in the air. I advise you not to try to meet her with a lightning kick, it never turns out well for me.

If they're medium-long distance range, dins is great as a harasser in this matchup.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
._. thanks... I have a lot of experience against peaches since it seems all my buddies play as her. **** peach rule!

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Sonic basically said everything you can do against Peach in the air. I advise you not to try to meet her with a lightning kick, it never turns out well for me.

If they're medium-long distance range, dins is great as a harasser in this matchup.
True, lightning kick is only usefull against floating Peach if you can predict her Dair and quickly move away from it into shorthop LK while she is still in attacking animation.

Zelda also has pretty few options to stop Fair-using Peach. U-smash or midairs usually just get Zelda to suffer, Nayru´s is hard to time and F-smash is easily avoided most of the time. That´s why I agree that shield->punish or Din is usually better than trying to beat it.

Villi

Smash Lord
Up smash out of shield after her fourth kick. That is the best, most reliable counter to a dair to your shield.

Hit her with a faster aerial, like a nair. If you predict correctly or if you're too close to her to wind-up and space her 16 frame fair/12 frame dair you will win. Naryu's love is pushing it (attack on frame 13, more lag than an air dodge, poor damage), up air works if she's dumb enough to be dairing in a position to be hit by it. Her air dodge sucks though, so she probably won't be in the habit of using it too much, but punish it if she is -- 'cause it sucks.

FW isn't an odd idea, it's a dumb one. Also it doesn't gain any priority except when its hitbox comes out. It has 0 priority and then it has as much priority as a slightly disjointed hitbox that causes 6% damage.

Get in the habit of tilting your shield up. She shouldn't be able to land safely next to you to stab your shield from a float.

Don't get put in bad spacing by her floating. Maintain good spacing by walking with her if you can't just punish her.

Top Bottom